• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers realistic big board - let's create one using prospects they have shown interest in.

As much as I hate to say it, and give him any more credit than he deserves, but Coolie called Oliver a top 10 draft pick at the beginning of the season when Oliver was still playing. This wasn't a post season or post combine bet. Coolie had it dead to rights early in the season while Oliver was playing.
So don't get it backward here saying Coach has any metric that mattered in this case. Coolie went out on a limb and was dead right.
I think this flew over your head from the heavy sarcasm. Cooch lost that bet that cost him 30 days off from Coolie saying Oliver was top ten. And our own cooch swearing he wasn't. Did you miss that thread ? it was a lot of fun especially the part of not seeing cooch for 30 days. 😂

WRs
1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
2. Jordan Addison
3. Zay Flowers
4. Quentin Johnson
5. Josh Downs
If the draft board falls a certain way, Smith-Njiba and Addison are on my radar. I'm talking top OT, CB, DL, Branch are all off the board.

DL
1. Jalen Carter???
2. Calijah Kancey
3. Bryan Bresee
4. Mazi Smith
5. Siaki Ika
I don't see this as a viable option for 1.17. Carter is an elite prospect with legal trouble right now. Kancey is a good player, I'm just not sure if the Steelers system could utilize his skills. The next group of three is in play at 2.32.

EDGE
1. Will Anderson
2. Myles Murphy
3. Tyree Wilson
4. Nolan Smith
5. BJ Ojulari
Very deep and talented position. The top three could all go in the top 10, definitely the top 15 picks. I'm a little worried about Smith's size, he's a bit light. There are probably another 5-7 guys who we could consider with either pick in the second round. After his combine, Van Ness seems firmly in the EDGE category for the Steelers.

ILB
1. Jack Campbell
2. Trenton Simpson
3. Daiyan Henley
4. Drew Sanders
The first round is too high for these guys unless the Steelers trade down. Campbell would be tough to pass in the second round at either spot. He's the long-term answer who would start from day 1. Though, I feel Tomlin would fall in love with Simpson's 40 time.

CB
1. Christian Gonzalez
2. Devon Witherspoon
3. Joey Porter Jr.
4. Deonte Banks
5. Emmanuel Forbes
I fully expect Gonzalez and Witherspoon to be good. There's a scenario where Porter is there and I think the Steelers would also consider Banks at 17. Once you get passed those four, they'd have to find value in the second round. A big part of cornerback is teams usually try to find ways to beat the top division opponents first. For the Steelers, that is getting by Cincinnati. They have to pass rush to get to Burrow, but they still have to cover Chase and Higgins. When thinking of the draft this way, CB would probably vault to the No. 1 need.

S
1. Brian Branch
2. Antonio Johnson
3. Sydney Brown
4. Jordan Battle
Branch is the only first rounder on this list. His athletic testing was disappointing so you have to rely on his film. He stood out while watching Alabama and looks the part of a quality player at the next level. Safety isn't a high priority position, especially when you have Fitzpatrick. Branch should be in play in the first round, but not at the expense of other top prospects.

As much as I hate to say it, and give him any more credit than he deserves, but Coolie called Oliver a top 10 draft pick at the beginning of the season when Oliver was still playing. This wasn't a post season or post combine bet. Coolie had it dead to rights early in the season while Oliver was playing.
So don't get it backward here saying Coach has any metric that mattered in this case. Coolie went out on a limb and was dead right.
coach thought he could get me to back down as if I'm some kind of *****

Oliver caught my attention his first game as a true freshman playing against Oklahoma. He was everywhere that game

His sophomore year he was a beast and he announced prior to his junior year that he was going to be leaving for the NFL after that season.

So yeah, I started hyping him and coach being coach thought he was going to get me to back down by throwing out a bet. Then he kept wanting to make the bet via private message but **** that, like I said then, keep it all out in the open so all know about it.

My only limit to the bet was that if Oliver missed 3 or more games the best was off...well he did, but again coach was coach and he started talking **** about there being no chance he would go Top 10 and how he was going to love a month of me not posting, so when he was drafted coach was quickly banned

if he had stayed quiet the bet would have been voided, **** him and his no football knowledge ***

but yeah I called that pick a year out....

Last edited:
jordan addison is 8 pounds heavier than Tank Dell

but he is the #2 wr in the draft? why

WRs
1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
2. Jordan Addison
3. Zay Flowers
4. Quentin Johnson
5. Josh Downs
If the draft board falls a certain way, Smith-Njiba and Addison are on my radar. I'm talking top OT, CB, DL, Branch are all off the board.

DL
1. Jalen Carter???
2. Calijah Kancey
3. Bryan Bresee
4. Mazi Smith
5. Siaki Ika
I don't see this as a viable option for 1.17. Carter is an elite prospect with legal trouble right now. Kancey is a good player, I'm just not sure if the Steelers system could utilize his skills. The next group of three is in play at 2.32.

EDGE
1. Will Anderson
2. Myles Murphy
3. Tyree Wilson
4. Nolan Smith
5. BJ Ojulari
Very deep and talented position. The top three could all go in the top 10, definitely the top 15 picks. I'm a little worried about Smith's size, he's a bit light. There are probably another 5-7 guys who we could consider with either pick in the second round. After his combine, Van Ness seems firmly in the EDGE category for the Steelers.

ILB
1. Jack Campbell
2. Trenton Simpson
3. Daiyan Henley
4. Drew Sanders
The first round is too high for these guys unless the Steelers trade down. Campbell would be tough to pass in the second round at either spot. He's the long-term answer who would start from day 1. Though, I feel Tomlin would fall in love with Simpson's 40 time.

CB
1. Christian Gonzalez
2. Devon Witherspoon
3. Joey Porter Jr.
4. Deonte Banks
5. Emmanuel Forbes
I fully expect Gonzalez and Witherspoon to be good. There's a scenario where Porter is there and I think the Steelers would also consider Banks at 17. Once you get passed those four, they'd have to find value in the second round. A big part of cornerback is teams usually try to find ways to beat the top division opponents first. For the Steelers, that is getting by Cincinnati. They have to pass rush to get to Burrow, but they still have to cover Chase and Higgins. When thinking of the draft this way, CB would probably vault to the No. 1 need.

S
1. Brian Branch
2. Antonio Johnson
3. Sydney Brown
4. Jordan Battle
Branch is the only first rounder on this list. His athletic testing was disappointing so you have to rely on his film. He stood out while watching Alabama and looks the part of a quality player at the next level. Safety isn't a high priority position, especially when you have Fitzpatrick. Branch should be in play in the first round, but not at the expense of other top prospects.
Very seldom can I find something to disagree with you for. Every once in a while the cow flies over the moon. Well this particular cow, we will call Jaxson Smith- Njigba.

**** I was predestined to like him afterall my Doberman is named Jax. I just don't like the injury attached to him. That he had a season filled with little to no production. One that didn't end in similar to Pickens where you were left with the impression, "ah he is going to be fine just fine". No this cow was still limping to the finish line and on top of it skipped right over doing drills at the combine. So if you were to take this cow and squeeze it's little teat into a little saucer would we even get half a cup? You can milk just about anything just squeeze away on that teat is it a pre-injury teat or is it a limping cow that just will never make that leap.

At 17 I am not sure I take on that risk.

jordan addison is 8 pounds heavier than Tank Dell

but he is the #2 wr in the draft? why
Strength of competition? Just throwing out a guess as they both were productive and slight framed.

Strength of competition? Just throwing out a guess as they both were productive and slight framed.
not sure if 59 receptons for 875 yards and 8 TDs compares to 109 receptions for 1,389 yards and 17 TDs

granted addison did have a better year in 2021

not sure if 59 receptions for 875 yards and 8 TDs compares to 109 receptions for 1,389 yards and 17 TDs

granted addison did have a better year in 2021
That was what I was referring to, this past year he was banged up and had a QB switch. Which has me thinking along with an average combine that he might just fall a little. We'll see.

maybe start with draft picks that will be 100% gone by pick 17?

WRs
1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
2. Jordan Addison
3. Zay Flowers
4. Quentin Johnson
5. Josh Downs

DL
1. Jalen Carter???
2. Calijah Kancey
3. Bryan Bresee
4. Mazi Smith
5. Siaki Ika

EDGE
1. Will Anderson
2. Myles Murphy
3. Tyree Wilson
4. Nolan Smith
5. BJ Ojulari

ILB
1. Jack Campbell
2. Trenton Simpson
3. Daiyan Henley
4. Drew Sanders

CB
1. Christian Gonzalez
2. Devon Witherspoon
3. Joey Porter Jr.
4. Deonte Banks
5. Emmanuel Forbes

S
1. Brian Branch
2. Antonio Johnson
3. Sydney Brown
4. Jordan Battle
Here's a scenario that looks quite possible, Jones, Skoronski, Johnson, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Carter and Branch are all gone at 17. Kancey and Bresee aren't worth the value then, and neither is any ILB. They could be left with picking a position that's not their weakest like a Van Ness or Addison.
If Skoronski or Jones isn't there it could get a little muddy.

maybe start with draft picks that will be 100% gone by pick 17?
I can honestly say every year the media and fans do the "there is no way that guy will be there" thing, and then guess what happens, some guy falls that no one expected to fall. Granted the top 5-7 is usually pretty predictable except when Al Davis was alive, but after that you never know what some teams might do

Here's a scenario that looks quite possible, Jones, Skoronski, Johnson, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Carter and Branch are all gone at 17. Kancey and Bresee aren't worth the value then, and neither is any ILB. They could be left with picking a position that's not their weakest like a Van Ness or Addison.
If Skoronski or Jones isn't there it could get a little muddy.
I look at offers to trade back at that point and maybe take a Deontae Banks or Bresee

That was what I was referring to, this past year he was banged up and had a QB switch. Which has me thinking along with an average combine that he might just fall a little. We'll see.
so his slight frame couldn't stay healthy in college...hmmmmm

I know, I just looked it was a leg issue not a major deal

but he did pull out of testing today with a back strain......

10 of his 17 TDs came against New Hampshire, Western Michigan and Virginia....not the toughest competition

Sorry, but I see no scenario where we should use our 1st round pick on a WR. That doesn't mean they won't do something stupid and pick one though. Heck, I wouldn't take WR in round 1 or 2. WR isn't even one of our top 5 needs. OL, DL, CB, OLB, ILB, and then maybe WR.

10 of his 17 TDs came against New Hampshire, Western Michigan and Virginia....not the toughest competition
His Kenny year he faced better competition and did well. Against ranked teams he usually did well too. He looks competitive/capable enough but to pick at 17 yeah I do have size and some injury concern. With every prospect that usually at least knocks them for one or two check marks down. He is no different. I prefer him at 32 or go another direction.

Not that I think he has a low floor. I am just not 100 percent sure where his ceiling is or would he be able to achieve it. By what I have read is he is a hard worker so I always like that aspect of a player. For all ABs issues he was a hard worker. Jerry Rice was a hard worker. Neither were blazers.

None the less I think at 17 there should be a prospect there that doesn't make me apply a checkmark. But for the Steelers I am comfy with them being to identify WR talent. But still prefer the trenches ultimately.

I can honestly say every year the media and fans do the "there is no way that guy will be there" thing, and then guess what happens, some guy falls that no one expected to fall. Granted the top 5-7 is usually pretty predictable except when Al Davis was alive, but after that you never know what some teams might do
Always a guy you are saying wow he is still there? Usually teams load up on QBs, trenches, and sprinkle in WR and CB and Lbers. So this draft shouldn't be any different.

If a Paris falls (I doubt to 17) you take him, if Van is there you strongly consider it. If another attractive T is there or a DE I think you strongly need to consider it.

Just stay true to the board or trade down if you don't like the value. I tend to think the value will be there though.

I think Chicago trades out of the pick then we quickly see two QBs off the board followed by a pass rusher (maybe 2)

Then you might see another QB and the trenches will mix in or take charge whichever.

Then CB and WR will sprinkle in.

Sort of how I see it unfolding.

I think the QB room will see 5QB in the 1st

Compared to just Kenny last year.

Ok up to date. Check over the list to see if you think someone should be moved up or down. As the draft goes I will check if they were on the list and where they were drafted in comparison.

One thing I'm hearing a lot of in the media is Joey Porter Jr. and a lot of the connection is his name. **** that. If he is the Best Player Available at a needed position 100%. No question. But none of this can matter what nutsack he came from. It's totally irrelevant. I could care less that he is Peezy's son. I read one today. The Steelers will have a comfort level with him because he is Joey's son. Why? Is he going to say my kid is lazy and sometimes he is late for meetings?

One thing I'm hearing a lot of in the media is Joey Porter Jr. and a lot of the connection is his name. **** that. If he is the Best Player Available at a needed position 100%. No question. But none of this can matter what nutsack he came from. It's totally irrelevant. I could care less that he is Peezy's son. I read one today. The Steelers will have a comfort level with him because he is Joey's son. Why? Is he going to say my kid is lazy and sometimes he is late for meetings?
I agree.

But given Tomlins penchant for pedigree.... if you will.

Ok up to date. Check over the list to see if you think someone should be moved up or down. As the draft goes I will check if they were on the list and where they were drafted in comparison.
Can you organize your list? There are a lot of players that I don't know if they belong in your 7B lot or are prospects that you added later, example D Rush, R Stromberg

Can you organize your list? There are a lot of players that I don't know if they belong in your 7B lot or are prospects that you added later, example D Rush, R Stromberg
All after 7B are 7B players. If you think one should go higher I can move some up or down whatever.