• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Sign 2 Punters; Announce Other Moves

Ok, they drafted him because of potential. But do you think we drafted him a little high? He wasn’t ranked #1 on any board I saw and even if he was on ours, how many other punters were drafted? And yes I agree Berry didn’t blow Harvin out of the water, but he was better and a vet. I personally believe they kept Harvin to protect their decision to use a draft pick on him. I feel they doubled down on their mistake to draft him by keeping him over Berry. I think if they drafted Harvin in the 7th or signed him as an UDFA he probably sits on our practice squad this year. And that would have probably been a better place for him. (And I feel if Harvin was white they’d much more likely have kept Berry)
Ok, fine they keep him after his 15th .500 or better season. Ben retires. 2022 and 2023 are sub .500 years. Do you feel we should fire some more coordinators or would you then say it’s time to look at the man in charge? I’m honestly curious what it would take.
Maybe the Rooney rule for most teams doesn’t hold you to a different expectation but when your last name is Rooney I feel it does. I honestly feel if they fire Tomlin they will only hire a black coach. Maybe even a black female coach. The qualifications aren’t about football with them anymore.
Of course wasting a draft pick on a P is suspect. They tried hard to replace Berry and did. The interview process will consist of all available races. If they wanted a female interview fine. But I don't think they will nod to a black coach just because. They showed their willingness to hire a minority who they felt was the best man for the job, they have no need to prove they follow the Rooney rule. They proved it and paved the way for it. Not sure why you think they would race it over the best man for the job. One black coach doesn't make a trend to suggest what you throw out on the table. Besides if the coach was black and had similar results I think the majority of the fan base would be happy. I know I would. I have outlined who I think they should go after and didn't look at what color skin they have. I truly believe the FO will take the same approach.

If you look at how Tomlin has done over the last decade and if you think about "what have you done for me lately", he should be gone. He's been here for 15 years. Stability at the position is not a concern or issue at this point. They can move on without batting an eye in that regard. They should move on because of his ability to win, win in the playoffs and win a championship. He has won games but he hasn't won in the playoffs to even think about winning a championship and that is what's most important to a sports franchise - especially one with the legacy of the Steelers. Something other than stability and his ability is keeping him as coach. People can infer what they want. If Ben is retiring, just clean house and get rid of the entire coaching staff and start over. I think Colbert would actually stay on to take on that challenge.
As you say, if you think about "what have you done for me lately", Tomlin should be gone. My question: Using that same standard, why the hell would you keep Colbert on board? As GM he's overseen, at various times and sometimes multiple times, the collapse of the defensive backfield, ILBs, defensive line, and offensive line. It's not all about X's and O's. Part of the reason this team sucks is the Jimmy's and Joe's. That's at least partially on Colbert. And, if someone says, "well Tomlin blah, blah, blah", then I say Colbert should have quit or not re-upped his contract at some point. There was a time when he would have been snapped up had he done so.

The list of impressive folks in the Steelers FO or coaching ranks is very small. Familiarity breeds contempt.
Regardless of color, the punter pick seems wasted because the guy he replaced is doing a better job elsewhere, and the PS squad guy they brought in as an emergency replacement looks no worse than the 6th pick who has had a whole season of work.
When Boswell missed the 36yd attempt Sunday, the ball didn't know what color man sent it wide left. Or whether he had a big nose or where he was born, or what he learned in school or has accomplished thus far.

As you say, if you think about "what have you done for me lately", Tomlin should be gone. My question: Using that same standard, why the hell would you keep Colbert on board? As GM he's overseen, at various times and sometimes multiple times, the collapse of the defensive backfield, ILBs, defensive line, and offensive line. It's not all about X's and O's. Part of the reason this team sucks is the Jimmy's and Joe's. That's at least partially on Colbert. And, if someone says, "well Tomlin blah, blah, blah", then I say Colbert should have quit or not re-upped his contract at some point. There was a time when he would have been snapped up had he done so.
Yep he has one foot out the door anyway. He is ready to go. No time like the here and now.

Yep he has one foot out the door anyway. He is ready to go. No time like the here and now.
I remember a time when the Steelers had a pipeline of guys capable and ready, or being groomed to be capable and ready, to replace their starters. Folks can give Cowher the sole credit for that, but that pipeline was at its best before Cowher and Donahoe were unable to work together. You would think with the practice squads and this year's relaxed rules, Colbert/Tomlin/the scouting department would have been better able to have some guys waiting when/if the young OL failed. With the amount of cap space they have and have had this year, Colbert's failure to get more experienced OL in here was a catastrophic failure.

I remember a time when the Steelers had a pipeline of guys capable and ready, or being groomed to be capable and ready, to replace their starters. Folks can give Cowher the sole credit for that, but that pipeline was at its best before Cowher and Donahoe were able to work together. You would think with the practice squads and this year's relaxed rules, Colbert/Tomlin/the scouting department would have been better able to have some guys waiting when/if the young OL failed. With the amount of cap space they have and have had this year, Colbert's failure to get more experienced OL in here was a catastrophic failure.
Exactly. I put him at 50 percent of the blame if not more. I know both have their knees deep in failure so hard to know which one contributes more to the fail. But Rooney should dig deep and identify the worst of the two and show them the door if not both.

I hated the Harvin pick , he is dumb,out of shape and was overrated. However , I have to defend the idea that Tomlin wanted a black punter to replace a black punter. 100 percent bullshit. Waitman was in camp last year with the Steelers and we had some confidence and familiarity with him as a punter and holder. Race had nothing to do with it.

I hated the Harvin pick , he is dumb,out of shape and was overrated. However , I have to defend the idea that Tomlin wanted a black punter to replace a black punter. 100 percent bullshit. Waitman was in camp last year with the Steelers and we had some confidence and familiarity with him as a punter and holder. Race had nothing to do with it.
I hate to see folks degraded/devalued by other folks making unverified statements. So, let's explore these:

1. "he is dumb" - Harvin graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA. He probably wasn't the valedictorian, but a 3.8 GPA is well above average and provides some indication that he was, upon leaving high school, not dumb. Harvin graduated GaTech with a degree in Business Administration. This provides some evidence that, over his 4 years at Tech, he continued his status as not dumb.

2. "was overrated" - I guess you could say this is a matter of opinion. However, let's look at Harvin's college accolades.

2020 RAY GUY AWARD WINNER
2020 UNANIMOUS ALL-AMERICA
2020 FIRST-TEAM ALL-ACC
2018 SECOND-TEAM ALL-ACC
2017 FRESHMAN ALL-AMERICA (FWAA)
2017 TRUE FRESHMAN ALL-AMERICA (ESPN)
2017 THIRD-TEAM ALL-ACC
https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/pressley-harvin-iii/

So, when drafted, Harvin was coming off of a college career that pretty much saw him continuously on an upward trajectory. A career that ended with him being selected as a unanimous All-American and the best player at his position. One could argue that he he was overdrafted, but hardly overrated. Given that he may not have chose to come to the Steelers if not drafted, and that they were making an attempt to replace Berry, a 6th for Harvin may not even have been overdrafting him. Again, probably a matter of opinion.
In hindsight, drafting Harvin hasn't panned out well so far. Could be he needed/needs to develop his abilities for the NFL. Could be that he's been playing the season worrying about his father. Who knows? I suspect we will see another punting competition in camp next year.

He was inconsistent as hell at GT and is inconsistent as hell here. He was a bad draft pick and the only reason he is still on the roster is the pedigree Tomlin so loves.

I hate to see folks degraded/devalued by other folks making unverified statements. So, let's explore these:

1. "he is dumb" - Harvin graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA. He probably wasn't the valedictorian, but a 3.8 GPA is well above average and provides some indication that he was, upon leaving high school, not dumb. Harvin graduated GaTech with a degree in Business Administration. This provides some evidence that, over his 4 years at Tech, he continued his status as not dumb.

2. "was overrated" - I guess you could say this is a matter of opinion. However, let's look at Harvin's college accolades.

2020 RAY GUY AWARD WINNER
2020 UNANIMOUS ALL-AMERICA
2020 FIRST-TEAM ALL-ACC
2018 SECOND-TEAM ALL-ACC
2017 FRESHMAN ALL-AMERICA (FWAA)
2017 TRUE FRESHMAN ALL-AMERICA (ESPN)
2017 THIRD-TEAM ALL-ACC
https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/pressley-harvin-iii/

So, when drafted, Harvin was coming off of a college career that pretty much saw him continuously on an upward trajectory. A career that ended with him being selected as a unanimous All-American and the best player at his position. One could argue that he he was overdrafted, but hardly overrated. Given that he may not have chose to come to the Steelers if not drafted, and that they were making an attempt to replace Berry, a 6th for Harvin may not even have been overdrafting him. Again, probably a matter of opinion.
In hindsight, drafting Harvin hasn't panned out well so far. Could be he needed/needs to develop his abilities for the NFL. Could be that he's been playing the season worrying about his father. Who knows? I suspect we will see another punting competition in camp next year.
You are wasting your time with meathead basher 47. He doesn't grasp that you can dislike a player or coach performance without flaming them.

When Boswell missed the 36yd attempt Sunday, the ball didn't know what color man sent it wide left

Good point Con but I wish that thought could be conveyed universally. It seems one certain color of individuals habitually return to victim mode for reasons unknown to those of other colors.

I remember back when there wasn't a constant drum beat of racism, been a while but I do remember it.

Screen-Shot-2017-03-16-at-6.35.15-PM.jpg

Yes it's come full circle. There is now an expectation of privilege and consequences for not delivering those stipends.

1641044550343.jpeg....
images

Yeah I know...I'm a racist. Who knew ? After all these years thinking nothing about it, only to be told exactly what I am..
Oh well, guess I'll jus hafta live with it.

random-wave-of-sadness-me-finally-feeling-okay-anybody-got-65301059.png

Attachments

• 1641044283445.jpeg
    1641044283445.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 3
To be fair, seventh round picks have virtually no chance of making any roster… the standard success rate of seventh rounders to make any impact on a team at all is 5%…. Using the term “blowing a pick” in regards to any seventh round pick is absurd… its a massive crapshoot…. If you are going to draft a pure special teams guy this is where you do it

I remember a time when the Steelers had a pipeline of guys capable and ready, or being groomed to be capable and ready, to replace their starters. Folks can give Cowher the sole credit for that, but that pipeline was at its best before Cowher and Donahoe were unable to work together. You would think with the practice squads and this year's relaxed rules, Colbert/Tomlin/the scouting department would have been better able to have some guys waiting when/if the young OL failed. With the amount of cap space they have and have had this year, Colbert's failure to get more experienced OL in here was a catastrophic failure.

Most certainly and add in the (should have been) heightend "last year" of BEN, let's give him the best we can be syndrone.

Salute the nation