• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers sign Commanders linebacker, Cole Holcomb

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
We got a linebacker: Cole Holcomb from Washington. Seems like a depth signing. Played 7 games last year with a foot injury.

Looking at his YouTube videos he's more than a depth signing, he's a upgrade and starter at middle inside LB. Dude can flat out run to the ball and make the tackle. I like our new GM already, he's picking up some quality FAs this off-season.

Holcomb is a solid find IF his foot passes the physical. He is an upgrade in coverage over anything we’ve had since Bush’s rookie year. He was under the radar because of his injury.

Looking at his YouTube videos he's more than a depth signing, he's a upgrade and starter at middle inside LB. Dude can flat out run to the ball and make the tackle. I like our new GM already, he's picking up some quality FAs this off-season.
That foot injury knocked him out but yeah he is a good size/speed type who was very productive the season before his injury as well as the games he did play in last season. You don't sign an ILber to a three year contract to not start. Good pickup Steelers. ( In my best cooch voice) I told yinz yesterday look for a linebacker to b signed today! Chest bump bump bump

bump.

I feel a tad bit better now… we had a minimum of 3 open ilb spots on a team that overvalues ilbs… i was beginning to fear us dropping 3 picks on ilbs this draft lol

Sonhe signed for 3 years.....what $$$ did we give him? Anyone know yet?

I feel a tad bit better now… we had a minimum of 3 open ilb spots on a team that overvalues ilbs… i was beginning to fear us dropping 3 picks on ilbs this draft lol
we have one in FA, one on roster, one still getting used to the spot... so we draft - at minimum - four more guys.

Power Rankings, Draft Grades, QB Ratings and now the Improvement Index...what will they think of next!
Hopefully Holcomb will move us up a notch!

AA18CPE3.jpg

In 2021, Holcomb had 142 tackles, 7 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles. 2022 he had the foot surgery and some knee issues. Should be ready to go this season, he was not signed to be a backup, if he played on a higher profile team that received more exposure I think the signing would have received more attention nationally. Even if we sign an ILB who eventually starts, I think Jacks is the guy who looses playing time.

We all have seen seen over the years, from when Shazier was injured and the aftermath to the failure with Bush how the Steeler defense is impacted by poor play from ILBs. How can they be overvalued?

I liked Holcomb coming out of North Carolina. Thought he would make a good Buck backer. He did surprise me with his pro day workout. 4.51 forty with a 1.59 10-yard. Those are some good numbers. Not quite as fast as Bush was but he is 4x as aggressive. He made a ton of plays behind the line. Looking at his NFL career he’s become a decent pass coverage linebacker. I guess the foot injury would be my biggest concern but I’ll trust the medical staff for that.

The best FA/draft philosophy is to use FA to put a team in position to be able to draft BPA. The Steelers seem to be working toward that.

Holcomb and Robinson this year's ILBs?
My guess is we are very interested in Trenton Simpson. Steelers brought the house. Most probably think it’s for Bresee, whom I’m sure they are interested in, but my guess is the 6-2, 235lb LB that is just as fast as Bush is who they are hoping falls maybe to 49. My guess is we see the same type of showing at a few pro days with top ILB prospects. Iowa, Arkansas and Alabama probably gets the house thrown at them.

we have one in FA, one on roster, one still getting used to the spot... so we draft - at minimum - four more guys.
Now I'm gonna have to down a fifth before the draft to get this thought out of my head…along with all the rest lol