• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers sign Commanders linebacker, Cole Holcomb

Last two days they seemed to fill needs of the two guys I wanted them to draft in Van Ness and Campbell. Though Van Ness is outside capable. But they already got Highsmith.

Nothing sexy here but he tackles everything that moves… the thing is we have some of the best qbs in football in our division our linebacks have to cover. Just a fact they have to stop the run and cover pure n Simple for 23$% sakes the Steelers wrote the book on this!! How many HOF linebackers do we have? How many more that could be? The greatest play ever in the Super Bowl a Steeler linebacker intercepting a pass in the end zone running full length of the field for a pick six! We all know what the standard is! Or use to be… we see fit now to have a revolving door of crap coming in at linebacker! Our dads had jack lambert jack ham we have jack and *****!! is this just another linebacker that can’t cover? Another FA tosser through the turnstile of crap? Our front 7 is weak and we have done nothing to fix it… just adding bandaids

Last two days they seemed to fill needs of the two guys I wanted them to draft in Van Ness and Campbell. Though Van Ness is outside capable. But they already got Highsmith.
Ideally they go into the draft looking just for upgrades, not absolute hole fillers.. now at least they have two starter level ilbs and a young prospect backup… they still need one more legitimate ilb but the fifth ( or sixth when they keep six) are really just special teams guys..

Like now if they draft an OL, and they pan out they are moving a guy capable of starting into a depth role… and if they draft a DL guy he is either a guy to eventually play later or an upgrade over adams…

Even at CB… if they get a stud shutdown corner that would be great, but if not the secondary they have would on paper at least be ok…

Ideally they go into the draft looking just for upgrades, not absolute hole fillers.. now at least they have two starter level ilbs and a young prospect backup… they still need one more legitimate ilb but the fifth ( or sixth when they keep six) are really just special teams guys..

Like now if they draft an OL, and they pan out they are moving a guy capable of starting into a depth role… and if they draft a DL guy he is either a guy to eventually play later or an upgrade over adams…

Even at CB… if they get a stud shutdown corner that would be great, but if not the secondary they have would on paper at least be ok…
Which gets you truly to BPA at position of need. But I'm thinking it's gonna be Corner.

Holcomb and Robinson this year's ILBs?

Drew Sanders may have something to say about that……….

Either way, it will be an upgrade over last year.!!!

Salute the nation

I'm not going to make a deal of it. It is what it is. But when someone says oh we traded Spillane for Holcomb...... have you dug into stats and combed film or are you saying they kinda look similar wink wink. Because I can tell you for sure looking at stats Holcomb's 2021 season was not Spillane.

This signing, for me, makes Campbell less of a need BUT we still need a coverage capable ILB (Henley?) or a better coverage SS (Branch?)

I still like Drew Sanders as he is just beginning his position at ILB which he does well already AND is OLB capable (position flexibility/scheme).

Like Holcomb better than Spillane at ILB but are we really set at ILB? All of our remaining guys are not known for abilities in coverage...

Nothing sexy here but he tackles everything that moves… the thing is we have some of the best qbs in football in our division our linebacks have to cover. Just a fact they have to stop the run and cover pure n Simple for 23$% sakes the Steelers wrote the book on this!! How many HOF linebackers do we have? How many more that could be? The greatest play ever in the Super Bowl a Steeler linebacker intercepting a pass in the end zone running full length of the field for a pick six! We all know what the standard is! Or use to be… we see fit now to have a revolving door of crap coming in at linebacker! Our dads had jack lambert jack ham we have jack and *****!! is this just another linebacker that can’t cover? Another FA tosser through the turnstile of crap? Our front 7 is weak and we have done nothing to fix it… just adding bandaids
It was Harrison, an OLB, we have this Watt guy that looks decent and a nice prospect in Highsmith in that position.

I get your point but that's a bad reference.

I still don't see any confirmation that Bush signed with Bills for 25 million

Haven’t seen anything, so probably some wanna-be writer.

Salute the nation

Watching cuts of his film on Steelers Depot, all I'm gonna say is you'd have to go back a long ways with Devin Bush's film to get anything like that.

Holcomb is from right up the road...cool.
I saw he’s from New Smyrna Beach. I visited there once. I remember thinking it was such a retirement community.

Q. They have made some pretty big moves. When do they have to remortgage and cut by to get cap compliant.
I am pretty sure it’s when these guys actually sign contracts… legal tampering just is non binding verbal agreements … like alualu and a few other players have, they still can change their minds, so expect restructures and cuts tomorrow or tonight if guys sign right after the stuff ends but tge time a team has to start being cap compliant always dovetails with actual free agency starting, so 4pm today

Watching cuts of his film on Steelers Depot, all I'm gonna say is you'd have to go back a long ways with Devin Bush's film to get anything like that.
Way more aggressive. I wonder what Bush ends up signing for. I cant imagine him getting Spillane money. Maybe with incentives.

I think a 1-year prove it deal is the best he gets. Steelers might bring him back like they did Edmunds for that.