• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Sign Massive RB2 Sleeper UDFA Mataeo Durant to Record Contract

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 2022 NFL Draft was a bit different for the Pittsburgh Steelers than what we’re used to. Instead of seeking out big, heavy, physical linemen, running backs, and linebackers, Steeler Nation saw two quarterbacks, two receivers, and only two defensive players called by Pittsburgh. This came as a shock to some, as the Steelers used their first four picks squarely on improving the running game from 2021. This resulted in the Steelers posting the fourth-worst rushing offense in the entire NFL last season. Historically speaking, the Steelers are a team who draft linebackers, running backs, and linemen (both offensive and defensive) in almost every draft. Therefore, there was an underlying assumption fans would see a young running-mate for Najee Harris called at some point on the third day of the draft; that call never came. But with that said, the Steelers may have grabbed some of the best value after the draft concluded at the running back position.

Steelers Undrafted Free Agent Class Headlined By USC CB and Oklahoma State RB

That ‘value’ came in the form of Mataeo Durant from Duke.

Steelers RB Mataeo Durant

Steelers’ rookie RB Mataeo Durant breaks away from the UNC defense (Duke Athletics).

You’re probably wondering why I consider an undrafted free agent rookie is a value piece going into camp. But let’s set the stage. After an abysmal 2020 rushing attack, the Steelers selected Harris with their first-round selection in the 2021 NFL Draft. Although Harris had an incredible first season, he was asked to do a lot on offense as both a rusher and pass-catcher. Although he was drafted to be that ‘workhorse’ back, the last thing any organization wants to do is run the wheels off a potential franchise player early in his career.

This begs the need of a solid ‘RB2’ in 2022. Sure, there is Benny Snell Jr., Anthony McFarland Jr., and Trey Edmunds already in the mix, but there is a steep drop-off in production between them and Harris. In addition, the Steelers have always been successful when they have an effective two-headed approach in the backfield. I think of Willie Parker with Jerome Bettis, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman, even throw Gary Russell into that conversation. But of those names, Moore was the only back-up who was drafted. With that said, even with him being undrafted, there is a lot to look forward to from Durant, and the Steelers seem to agree.

It is worth mentioning first; the Steelers awarded Durant with the biggest undrafted rookie free agent contract for a running back in Steelers’ history.​

Albeit, this came in the form of a $15,000 signing bonus, it is clear the Steelers see a lot of value in Durant. This is for good reason, however. In college at Duke, Durant put up solid numbers. His best season was in 2021 where he tallied just under 1,500 total scrimmage yards with 11 touchdowns. He averaged roughly 5-yards per carry and was that dynamic playmaker the Steelers like in a reliable third-down running back. Coincidentally, Durant reminds me of Moore where he can pick up those tough yards whether it be through the pass game or on the ground. But compared to his inner-team competition, how does he stack up going into camp?

Steelers Sign Durant to Largest UDFA Rookie Running Back Contract in Franchise History

As of right now, the Steelers running back room only consists of Harris, Snell, McFarland, Edmunds, Durant, and other UDFA rookie, Jaylen Warren. Simply looking at the veterans in the room, there is a distinct ‘this or that’ in skillsets. If you’re looking for a large, short-yardage, power back you have Edmunds, Snell, and possibly Warren. If you’re looking for a speedy pass-catcher out of the backfield, you have McFarland. Durant falls right in the middle of those abilities. At 6’1”, 195 pounds, Durant isn’t the ‘biggest’ guy out there, but he can drop his shoulder to break through a tackler. With that same frame, he has a fairly nice-sized catch radius and was a productive safety blanket at Duke. Going back and looking at what we’ve seen with the current running backs on the roster, no one has been able to separate themselves from the others for that true back-up to Harris. This competition is arguably very much wide open. What says Durant can’t leap-frog the veterans to win that spot? Steelers’ history shows to be in Durant’s favor.

In short, the Steelers seem to succeed with, and need, a steady third-down running back on the roster. The most recent Super Bowl-winning teams have shown that with Parker, Moore, Redman, and Russell. Looking at the current state of the Steelers’ running back room, this is nowhere to be found in Snell, McFarland, or Edmunds. Durant showed in college he can shoulder a lot of production on offense and move the chains when he needs to. From seeing the Steelers signing Durant to the largest UDFA rookie contract for a running back in their history, it looks like the front office agrees. Only time will tell in determining if Durant is a diamond in the rough or just another undrafted rookie living on a prayer.

durant-1024x576.png

Duke Athletics

How do you think Durant will fare in camp? Who do you see emerging as the back-up to Harris in the backfield? Let us know in the comments section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Saw him play at UNC Charlotte, guy seems to have a serious 2nd gear.

Was watching him the other day looking at his running style. Runs high a one cut and off to the races type. Perhaps he can replace McFarland. Or they will bring in a free agent RB now that the draft is in the rear view mirror.

There is room. McFarland fell out of favor last year. Balage didn't do much but was slightly better than Snell. Edmunds is just a guy.

I think Snell is fine at RB2. The blocking has been the problem. No RB looks good when he gets hit in the backfield consistently. Hopefully replacing 2 of our interior linemen will fix the problem, since that's all they seem to be doing to fix it.

I think Snell is fine at RB2. The blocking has been the problem. No RB looks good when he gets hit in the backfield consistently. Hopefully replacing 2 of our interior linemen will fix the problem, since that's all they seem to be doing to fix it.
maybe that 7th round QB can play on the OL since the FO decided to take him instead of Rasheed Walker.

Humphrey, Trey Smith and Rasheed Walker... three picks in two years that would have paid immediate dividends on the OL.

Seeing many Duke games in my area I will say he had a lot of desire and he proved it on the field, gave his all .

Runs a 4.37. Sure would like to see him in our backfield with Najee. That's game changing speed.

Not like we lose much by subtracting McFarland, even less by cutting Edmunds. I’d roll with Najee, Snell and the new kid on the block if he flashes any of that 4.37 speed

Maybe we can rekindle some of that magic from a RB from the great state of NC

I watched several Duke games this season as we have a family member riding the pine on that team.

Durant was impressive. Really impressive. I was surprised to see his weight as he runs like a guy a little bigger than his listed 196 pounds or so. Runs hard for his size. He's not the shiftiest RB around but he has the ability to juke at speed which is effective. But his speed is legit. His initial burst is likely above average but once he hits top speed he is a long strider. Reminds me of watching Robert Smith (former Ohio State and Minnesota Viking RB for those old enough to remember). Can catch it out of the backfield too.

I'm very happy about this pickup as he is far more athletic than Benny Snell, the fastest RB in the room, can catch and runs hard. He doesn't bring the short yardage ability that maybe a Snell brings but I can see Durant pushing McFarland off the team (which may not be saying much as McFarland hasn't shown anything since his arrival).

Hope Durant stays healthy. He could be a very nice, low cost addition to this team.

Not impressed with this kid at all. He's a speed guy with no lateral movement, no power, just speed. He'll be a decent punt returner maybe?

Not impressed with this kid at all. He's a speed guy with no lateral movement, no power, just speed. He'll be a decent punt returner maybe?
Hmmmm ... No lateral movement. No power. Sounds like Willie Parker. We should only be so lucky if he turns out like Willie did.

Not like we lose much by subtracting McFarland, even less by cutting Edmunds. I’d roll with Najee, Snell and the new kid on the block if he flashes any of that 4.37 speed

Maybe we can rekindle some of that magic from a RB from the great state of NC
If we cut Edmunds wouldn't that cut back our brother duo's quota?

What a dud McFarland has been, I think no one here liked that pick.

maybe that 7th round QB can play on the OL since the FO decided to take him instead of Rasheed Walker.

Humphrey, Trey Smith and Rasheed Walker... three picks in two years that would have paid immediate dividends on the OL.

I'm right there with yaz, trench warfare is where it all begins and somehow Tombert has closed their eyes to that fact. I wonder Coach Tomlin realized how much different it is going to be without Roethlisberger to cover for him going forward.

Time will tell but I've never heard of a QB saying we don't need better OL.

Salute the nation

If we cut Edmunds wouldn't that cut back our brother duo's quota?
Sure would, good with cutting a Davis too…maybe even a Watt if a Heyward shows out. It’s such a cute lil story tho,**** I thought we were tryna win 9 games

Was watching him the other day looking at his running style. Runs high a one cut and off to the races type. Perhaps he can replace McFarland. Or they will bring in a free agent RB now that the draft is in the rear view mirror.
McFarland has never had a chance to be used properly

I watched several Duke games this season as we have a family member riding the pine on that team.

Durant was impressive. Really impressive. I was surprised to see his weight as he runs like a guy a little bigger than his listed 196 pounds or so. Runs hard for his size. He's not the shiftiest RB around but he has the ability to juke at speed which is effective. But his speed is legit. His initial burst is likely above average but once he hits top speed he is a long strider. Reminds me of watching Robert Smith (former Ohio State and Minnesota Viking RB for those old enough to remember). Can catch it out of the backfield too.

I'm very happy about this pickup as he is far more athletic than Benny Snell, the fastest RB in the room, can catch and runs hard. He doesn't bring the short yardage ability that maybe a Snell brings but I can see Durant pushing McFarland off the team (which may not be saying much as McFarland hasn't shown anything since his arrival).

Wow. Two completely different opinions of Durant in back-to-back posts. I wonder whose angle is more accurate.

I'm going with the guy watching the Duke games. (there aren't too many of those)