• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers vs. Raiders - Week 5 Game Day Thread

Because I said “ they did what they had to do” you get your nose out of joint? They beat a team they should and are supposed to beat. Good lord. “ most complete game in a decade”. Man oh man. They played a good game. But I’m not going to sit here and suck their **** nonstop. You seem to be doing that job.
Cheers.
Again...what win? Probably one of the most Complete games as a team....I think they did more than ....what they needed to do. Why are you so down on the win? What aspect didn't you like? Offense scored 30 plus. Defense caused TOs and gave up only 13. Boz got involved. We got a blocked punt. A pretty Complete game. You deemed it....they simply did what they needed to do though. Why of you don't mind asking?

I'd argue he's part of the reason they are not built to score a lot of points. Not the only one, but definitely part of it.

Both games in which the defense didn't play great, they lost.

He hasn't been terrible, but has not been consistently good by any stretch. Sure, he had his moments, but that was basically his MO with the Bears in that he would flash enough to get your hopes up, but never progress his game to the next level. Just ask Bears fans.

He's never going to be a QB a team has a top 10 scoring offense with.
Fields is the reason why? Really? Have you watched Tomlin's philosophy for the last decade plus? Even when Ben was here he amped back the offense unless needed. Tomlin's history is his history. You can't change it.

I'd argue he's part of the reason they are not built to score a lot of points. Not the only one, but definitely part of it.

Both games in which the defense didn't play great, they lost.

He hasn't been terrible, but has not been consistently good by any stretch. Sure, he had his moments, but that was basically his MO with the Bears in that he would flash enough to get your hopes up, but never progress his game to the next level. Just ask Bears fans.

He's never going to be a QB a team has a top 10 scoring offense with.
I'd hate to say it but the same things were said about Lamar Jackson...

Again...what win? Probably one of the most Complete games as a team....I think they did more than ....what they needed to do. Why are you so down on the win? What aspect didn't you like? Offense scored 30 plus. Defense caused TOs and gave up only 13. Boz got involved. We got a blocked punt. A pretty Complete game. You deemed it....they simply did what they needed to do though. Why of you don't mind asking?
Dude. Go take a walk. Get some fresh air.

Fields is the reason why? Really? Have you watched Tomlin's philosophy for the last decade plus? Even when Ben was here he amped back the offense unless needed. Tomlin's history is his history. You can't change it.

No, I said part of the reason.

When Ben was in his prime, the Steelers never ranked near the bottom of the league in scoring. Tomlin could **** up an offense with a franchise QB only so much, despite trying his his best.

Fields is nothing close to that, and definitely not someone they should consider handing $100+ million to.

I'll add on...

I shaved my mustache off after we were 3-0.

We lost both games until my stubble came back on Monday. Now I'm keeping the 'stache until the season is over!!!

EDIT - Jackson w/ a near missed PICK SIX...

Hopefully Russ gets this last series???
Love it

Should we make the playoffs you’ll have to come to my dive bar with a very full ‘stache by that time

Pretty sure they have lots of Tito’s and the outdoor patio may be infested with skunks, great spot 🤣

That could be the cheat code to a
playoff victory!!!

I know I gave Berm a little light hearted **** earlier (Berm knows he is my honorary Indian Brother) but the truth is I thought that this team came out pretty well prepared today. They played a complete game in every facet of the game. I also thought Tomlin had a very good day as a head coach. the thing that stood out was that he didn't play turtle ball in the 4th with a lead. I can't remember him ever just keeping after it with a late lead but he sure as **** did today.

After loses to two teams in a row I felt we should have beat he came out today and pretty soundly beat a team he should have, Like I said this team was well prepared, play calling was pretty good on offense, no bad coaching decisions and everyone played hard. how can anyone ***** about that.

I don't know, maybe this team is not a elite team in the long run, but I don't think you can ask anymore from any of them from the head coach down than what they gave today.

Win or lose I will not ***** about any game that has the effort from the top down that this team had today.

I hit ignore. Too controlling for me, lol. Love that ignore button.
Ignore me if you want
...look.at my posts. All I stated was we might have played our most complete game.in a decade. I think we might have done more than....simply won the game....but please. Hit that ignore button....it is just a touch away. 🤪

Yep. I wanted to see what Pickett could do in a decent offensive system. I hated the Wilson signing. Pickett was moved. Then Fields was brought in. I then wanted Fields to have at least an open competition in TC(because I was hoping he would win). Why did I want him to win? Je has a chance to be our future. Wilson doesn't. How do you know if Fields is worth another contract here if you don't see him play? Was my belief. Fields in my opinion is doing good. If he gets hurt or has a bunch of bad games I would be for bringing Russ. If Fields was never traded for I would be 100% behind Russ....but we do have Fields here. And I want to find out if it is worth handing him a $100 plus million contract next offseason. So far I like what I see from him. He is doing what the coaches are asking of him. It seems the coaches are letting him do more every week. We are 4 and 2. Lost our 2 games by 6 points. Was Fields the reason for our 2 losses? Possibly. Maybe. Doubtful though. If Russ was starting from the season opener would you have been happy with a 4 and 2 start? With our 2 losses by a total of 6 points? Or do you think we would have a better record?
Would I be happy at 4-2 with Russ. Maybe. Depends on how different, if any, the offense looked. Where we differ I think is I believe Fields needs to sit and watch a seasoned pro and learn how to be a complete QB. Yes I agree he is more likely a long term but I think Russ will a more likely to be a guy that could get us where we want to be right now. Do you honestly think fields could lead this team to a playoff run yet?

Would I be happy at 4-2 with Russ. Maybe. Depends on how different, if any, the offense looked. Where we differ I think is I believe Fields needs to sit and watch a seasoned pro and learn how to be a complete QB. Yes I agree he is more likely a long term but I think Russ will a more likely to be a guy that could get us where we want to be right now. Do you honestly think fields could lead this team to a playoff run yet?
Every week that goes by I believe more and more. That stated.....it all revolves around our D and how they handle their side of the ball. I can careless about Russ until his number is called apon. Until then he is simply second string. I am talking on results up to this point in the season. You and others are talking about past deeds done by Russ..... in our offense that isn't geared in scoring a bunch of points and relying on a defense. In the end I simply don't know if Russ would have more wins at this point. In the end....wins are all that matters.

For how long? Lamar was league MVP in his second season.

He's always been a better passer than he's given credit for. Even in college.

The Ravens offense until last year was extremely simplified for Lamar... it took him a long time to get reads down.... ratbird fans bitched about it nonstop.. last year they tried to male him more of a pocket guy.. didnt really work...

It’s a unique problem we are facing with both guys on 1 year rentals

Does Fields resign with the Steelers if he is assigned a redshirt year? Or does he simply transfer like he did in college when Stetson Bennett stole his lunch at UGA?

Fields may be the future so he is getting his chance to prove it now, for better or worse…hopefully better. Will this year end in a playoff win? Only if the dominant D shows up imho. Allowing Fields to play and prove his worth gives options moving forward tho.

Russ is not the future. Russ is paid cheap QB2 money and when healthy likely a top 2-3 QB2 in the league. Could Russ lead us to a playoff victory? Maybe, likely also dependent on a dominant performance by the D tho

It appears Mike is making the best decision for the future of the team without compromising the now either. Behind this OL and the rate which Justin runs at it is only a matter of time before a finally healthy Russ gets his shot. When he does get that shot more questions will be answered.

Will Russ relinquish the pole position when he gets his shot?

Hopefully this question is never answered and Fields just leads the good guys into the playoffs and maybe even a victory or two/three as the foundation for the future is poured.

All I am going to say is thank god Fields can run.....If he wasn't a runner we most likely would be in contention for the #1 pick in next years draft again.

Just watch how many times Fields has to roll out of the pocket to avoid the pressure before he throws. A pocket passing QB would be getting killed right now.

And we all know that Rus can't run like he used to.

Just sayin.

For how long? Lamar was league MVP in his second season.

He's always been a better passer than he's given credit for. Even in college.
I'll say this and hopefully it's clear.

Baltimore 'went ALL IN' when they drafted Lamar. Yes, he's had multiple OCs; but the game plan has never changed - have a strong running game and run play action or RPO. The Rats just didn't have the WRs and TEs early on and Lamar had to be more of a running QB than a passer. Yes, his passing skills are above average, but as I have stated many times - Lamar looks GREAT during the season. His Kilimanjaro is the post season...

I'll say this and hopefully it's clear.

Baltimore 'went ALL IN' when they drafted Lamar. Yes, he's had multiple OCs; but the game plan has never changed - have a strong running game and run play action or RPO. The Rats just didn't have the WRs and TEs early on and Lamar had to be more of a running QB than a passer. Yes, his passing skills are above average, but as I have stated many times - Lamar looks GREAT during the season. His Kilimanjaro is the post season...
If the Steelers were going with Fields, this is what I wanted to see. Jackson is a better passer, but even a lesser version of Lamar in that type of scheme can be quite good.