• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers vs. Raiders - Week 5 Game Day Thread

c9f7d91f7f59db1ee4ac8c6863932e16.jpg

Not putting in Russ for the last couple drives tells me that Tomlin really doesn’t care if Fields gets hurt.

They did what they had to do. Fans in Vegas were incredible. I have to take that in one year.
What win? 30 plus points....gave up what...13? What are you actually referring to? Might have been our most complete game in a decade in all areas of the game.

All the complaining about our defense (me included) about the porous defense against the run.

Check the stats out - https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401671657

LV had 57, let me spell that out, fifty-seven yards on the ground against us today. We had 183.

Shall I say it???

FIRE COACH TOMLIN!!!

All the complaining about our defense (me included) about the porous defense against the run.

LV had 57, let me spell that out, fifty-seven yards on the ground against us today. We had 183.

Shall I say it???

FIRE COACH TOMLIN!!!
that initial drive was pathetic as many here posted...but they did a little better afterwards

Sometimes when you are in LOVE(man crush for Russ)......it blinds you. Speculatively speaking of course. ;)
Funny thing is I didn’t really want to sign him. He could also come in and suck. The more I looked at what he actually did last year gave me hope for a sane offense. Fields has all the talent in the world but he is just so frustrating on the basics. Wouldn’t it be nice to have an offense than ran the way it is supposed to? Fields for whatever reason is averaging 2 yards less per play action pass than a normal pass. Most QBs average 2 more not less. Smiths entire scheme is predicated on play action and it is one of Wilson’s strongest areas. Maybe Fields can get it going if Najee keeps running like this.

What win? 30 plus points....gave up what...13? What are you actually referring to? Might have been our most complete game in a decade in all areas of the game.
WTF are you going on about. I know it’s mushroom season. Try not to gobble them all down at once.

Funny thing is I didn’t really want to sign him. He could also come in and suck. The more I looked at what he actually did last year gave me hope for a sane offense. Fields has all the talent in the world but he is just so frustrating on the basics. Wouldn’t it be nice to have an offense than ran the way it is supposed to? Fields for whatever reason is averaging 2 yards less per play action pass than a normal pass. Most QBs average 2 more not less. Smiths entire scheme is predicated on play action and it is one of Wilson’s strongest areas. Maybe Fields can get it going if Najee keeps running like this.
He can if the line blocks.

Shall I say it???

FIRE COACH TOMLIN!!!
It's one game Berm. Lets string together a few complete games before we start thinking coach T has turned some type of corner. it was a good game but we have seen good games before. I want to see a playoff win before I start thinking he has done anything to prove he should still be here.

It's one game Berm. Lets string together a few complete games before we start thinking coach T has turned some type of corner. it was a good game but we have seen good games before. I want to see a playoff win before I start thinking he has done anything to prove he should still be here.
You'll take what they give you and enjoy it

WTF are you going on about. I know it’s mushroom season. Try not to gobble them all down at once.
I am saying they probably had their most complete game in a decade. Uou stated they did what they had to do. I basically am saying I think they did more then....they did what they had to do. That is all. No mushrooms involved....at least on my part.

Yep. I wanted to see what Pickett could do in a decent offensive system. I hated the Wilson signing. Pickett was moved. Then Fields was brought in. I then wanted Fields to have at least an open competition in TC(because I was hoping he would win). Why did I want him to win? Je has a chance to be our future. Wilson doesn't. How do you know if Fields is worth another contract here if you don't see him play? Was my belief. Fields in my opinion is doing good. If he gets hurt or has a bunch of bad games I would be for bringing Russ. If Fields was never traded for I would be 100% behind Russ....but we do have Fields here. And I want to find out if it is worth handing him a $100 plus million contract next offseason. So far I like what I see from him. He is doing what the coaches are asking of him. It seems the coaches are letting him do more every week. We are 4 and 2. Lost our 2 games by 6 points. Was Fields the reason for our 2 losses? Possibly. Maybe. Doubtful though. If Russ was starting from the season opener would you have been happy with a 4 and 2 start? With our 2 losses by a total of 6 points? Or do you think we would have a better record?

Yep. I wanted to see what Pickett could do in a decent offensive system. I hated the Wilson signing. Pickett was moved. Then Fields was brought in. I then wanted Fields to have at least an open competition in TC(because I was hoping he would win). Why did I want him to win? Je has a chance to be our future. Wilson doesn't. How do you know if Fields is worth another contract here if you don't see him play? Was my belief. Fields in my opinion is doing good. If he gets hurt or has a bunch of bad games I would be for bringing Russ. If Fields was never traded for I would be 100% behind Russ....but we do have Fields here. And I want to find out if it is worth handing him a $100 plus million contract next offseason. So far I like what I see from him. He is doing what the coaches are asking of him. It seems the coaches are letting him do more every week. We are 4 and 2. Lost our 2 games by 6 points. Was Fields the reason for our 2 losses? Possibly. Maybe. Doubtful though. If Russ was starting from the season opener would you have been happy with a 4 and 2 start? With our 2 losses by a total of 6 points? Or do you think we would have a better recopoint,

Unless he improves significantly from what he's shown to this point, they would be crazy to give him a big contract after this season.

You seem to talk about him like he's only a first or second year QB. This is his fourth NFL season, with the odds being he's as good as he's going to get, which isn't good enough.

Cannot rely on the defense providing the offense with short fields and Najee running like Derrick Henry every game.

I am saying they probably had their most complete game in a decade. Uou stated they did what they had to do. I basically am saying I think they did more then....they did what they had to do. That is all. No mushrooms involved....at least on my part.
Because I said “ they did what they had to do” you get your nose out of joint? They beat a team they should and are supposed to beat. Good lord. “ most complete game in a decade”. Man oh man. They played a good game. But I’m not going to sit here and suck their **** nonstop. You seem to be doing that job.
Cheers.

Unless he improves significantly from what he's shown to this point, they would be crazy to give him a big contract after this season.

You seem to talk about him like he's only a first or second year QB. This is his fourth NFL season, with the odds being he's as good as he's going to get, which isn't good enough.

Cannot rely on the defense providing the offense with short fields and Najee running like Derrick Henry every game.
You talk like this offense is designed to score 30 points a week. It simply isn't. We rely on our defense to a fault. Open it up for Fields then.....let him live and die on the results.. At times WRs drop easy catch. OL doesn't block so well. Fields legs have saved numerous sacks this season. I am not saying Fields can't get better. It is obvious. He has us at 4 and 2 at the moment. Our 2 losses.... last week we had the lead until our D gave up a TD on the last play of the game. Week before he was leading is back from a huge deficit....if Frazier doesn't snap the ball early who knows if we would have won. I surely felt we were at least going to get a Boz effort to tie the game. Fields is far from the main issue on the team.

You talk like this offense is designed to score 30 points a week. It simply isn't. We rely on our defense to a fault. Open it up for Fields then.....let him live and die on the results.. At times WRs drop easy catch. OL doesn't block so well. Fields legs have saved numerous sacks this season. I am not saying Fields can't get better. It is obvious. He has us at 4 and 2 at the moment. Our 2 losses.... last week we had the lead until our D gave up a TD on the last play of the game. Week before he was leading is back from a huge deficit....if Frazier doesn't snap the ball early who knows if we would have won. I surely felt we were at least going to get a Boz effort to tie the game. Fields is far from the main issue on the team.

I'd argue he's part of the reason they are not built to score a lot of points. Not the only one, but definitely part of it.

Both games in which the defense didn't play great, they lost.

He hasn't been terrible, but has not been consistently good by any stretch. Sure, he had his moments, but that was basically his MO with the Bears in that he would flash enough to get your hopes up, but never progress his game to the next level. Just ask Bears fans.

He's never going to be a QB a team has a top 10 scoring offense with.