• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Surprise..we're out of money, again

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Lew to Congress: US hits debt limit on March 16, needs to be raised ASAP

Unless Congress takes action, the U.S. will hit its debt limit on Mar. 16, but would begin taking "extraordinary measures" to finance the government on a temporary basis, according to the U.S. Treasury.

In a Friday morning letter to House Speaker John Boehner and other House and Senate leaders, Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said that his office will be forced to suspend the issuance of State and Local Government Series securities on Mar. 13 unless the debt limit is raised.

"Accordingly, I respectfully ask Congress to raise the debt limit as soon as possible," Lew wrote in his letter.

Alright, I know I'm just an old dumbass retiree but how is it possible to run a Country so contradictory to common sense business standards ? I mean seriously, do the people running this show treat their personal finances the same way they run the Gov't ? This is not the first time we have run out of money, or the second, as a matter of fact....

Congress has raised the debt ceiling 14 times from 2001-2013. The debt ceiling was raised a total of 7 times (total increase of $5365bil) during Pres. Bush's eight year term and it has been raised 7 times (as of 10/2013 a total increase of $5385bil) under Pres. Obama's term as of 2013 (five years in office).

I can understand cost of living raises but we have blown that out of the water, the cost of living has now been redefined as anything and everything from money to support cowboy poets to billion dollar free phone programs. Foreign aid to China, studies on drunken fat prostitutes, gay bulimia and even where certain tortoises choose to cross the highway.

Don't get me wrong here, the blame can't be heaped all on Barry and his shysters, ( a lot, but not all ) the past administrations have all donated their stupidity.and reckless spending to the problem. When do we grow a pair and say enough. We can't afford to send every minority to college for free, we can't give food and board to every illegal immigrant that stumbles across our three foot border fence, we can't raise the standard of living and buy the allegiance of every third world **** hole on the planet and we can't continue to ignore the fact that we are spending more money on stupid **** that we just can't afford.

Maybe it is time for some tough love up there on capital hill, maybe it is time to send a message and shut the gov't down, send the Congress home without a paycheck and see what happens then. Just ask your Congressman to cut his staff by one person and see what happens.

Of course I'm not referring to my senior discounts and perks, just all the other stuff..ya know.

Last edited:
Why is the debt issue only occasionally mentioned in the news? It used to be you couldn't go a week without hearing about it, now you go months without hearing about it.

Why is the debt issue only occasionally mentioned in the news? It used to be you couldn't go a week without hearing about it, now you go months without hearing about it.

Good question, I would think that with the 2016 election starting to gear up, they might want to keep it low key..we'll see.

It's crazy. It's almost like we should spend less.

There is only debt and homeless people when we have a Republican President.

There is only debt and homeless people when we have a Republican President.

I remember the "debt clock" that was used when Bush was in office. After BHO got elected I never saw it again. They did the same thing with war causalities.

BTW didn't 21 say that by the end of last year that the government would be running a surplus?

BTW didn't 21 say that by the end of last year that the government would be running a surplus?

You are right sir. It was funny then, and now hilarious.

I remember the "debt clock" that was used when Bush was in office. After BHO got elected I never saw it again. They did the same thing with war causalities.

Oh it's still around, yinz just don't be worrying about that stuff, we're in a recovery and there's only a little under 93M people out of the work force. We are good and in better shape now than we ever were..or so I have heard.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...ock.org//RK=0/RS=t0KiBS1Bzy7O51jfSRo7bC8zl.s-