• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Texans owner's comments has overpaid children crying again

Buster

Reaction score
I can't figure out if these guys egos are really this fragile or if they just want to ***** about everything...

Texans players considered walking out on Friday over Bob McNair’s “inmate” remark

And just when it seems like the rancor over the anthem controversy had settled to a slow simmer, it’s back on the front burner, lid rattling on the pan.

Tackle Duane Brown said Friday that Texans players considered walking out of practice on Friday over owner Bob McNair’s comment at last week’s ownership meeting that “[w]e can’t have the inmates running the prison.”

“I’m very upset,” Brown said, via Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. “It sickened me. . . . It’s horrible. It’s frustrating.”

Brown added that, even though players decided not to leave, it’s not over.

It’s possible that receiver DeAndre Hopkins wasn’t sufficiently persuaded, given that he missed practice due to a personal day — and in light of the reality that coach Bill O’Brien refused to comment on whether the absence is connected to the McNair remark.

McNair has apologized for the choice of words, but not for the message. And that’s what should bother players more than McNair’s decision to use a fairly common figure of speech.

And now McNair has an uncommon problem: A possible revolt and a major distraction as the Texans prepare for an already daunting challenge in Seattle on Sunday.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Dick Sherman makes it clear that players will take a stand for what they believe in as long as it doesn't cost them anything. They have mouths to feed!

Richard Sherman: Texans probably wouldn’t play Sunday if contracts were guaranteed

The Texans will show up for their game in Seattle on Sunday, but if NFL contracts were guaranteed, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman predicts Houston players would stay home.

“Oh, yeah, those guys would probably sit this game out,” Sherman said, via Gregg Bell of The News Tribune.

Texans owner Bob McNair apologized after his comment about not having “inmates running the prison” was published by ESPN The Magazine.

“I appreciate when people like that show who they really are,” Sherman said. “More people in the world have to be that kind and that open about how they really feel so you can identify them — and make sure you stay away from those kind of people, and keep those people out of power.

“But, you know, of course they have to sit back and apologize, because it’s politically correct to apologize. But eventually you have take people for their word and for who they are. For most players, even when once we apologize they still take what we said and judge us by it. So you should do the same with him.”

Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner said he “wouldn’t want to play for a guy like that.”

“It sucks for them. It sucks they have to deal with that,” Wagner said. “. . . Like I said, people saying how they really feel. It’s not a surprise. They’ve been like that. They are just finally starting to say it.”

Wagner was asked if “they” meant NFL owners.

“I’m talking about people who feel that way,” he said.

That's what we get when we pamper children all their lives.

When we give them prestige and glory for playing a game.
When we give them a free education and allow them to bastardize it to the point that they can't form a coherent sentence...for playing a game.
When we give them more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime....for playing a game

When it's all said and done, these players ( and celebs too BTW ) actually think they are above the fray and can do and say whatever they want...anytime they want.

If they keep it up, they will soon find out just how many people actually give a **** what they think.

th

There'a always an alternative.

Better-Football_o_96800.jpg

inmates/prison = patients/asylum

Same church, different pew. When everyone is triggered today by every word or action, poor choice of words that obviously the players would take it personally. McNair f'd himself now and his team. The black players will not want to play for him and the white players are now in a rock and a hard place. Team or ownership?

Thank god we don't guarantee these idiots their contract if they would be allowed to just not play because the owner used a common figure of speech. **** Sherman. **** these worthless prima donnas. I am sick of this ****. I can't not go into work because I don't like my owners political views without getting fired why should overpaid spoiled children get tell the owners what they can or can't do outside of their collective bargaining. If they don't it like negotiate it when your contract is up.

Last edited:
My goodness, it's a figure of speech. Not everything is meant to be taken literally or designed to offend someone.

No kidding. Bunch of creampuffs. Good Lord. I've always used the term inmates running the asylum for employees who think they can do whatever the **** they want at work. The whole NFL needs to get knocked down a bunch of pegs. Too much money and fame has gone to the head. A lot of these guys can't read past a third grade level. Just wait until this cba ends. It won't be pretty. All over 1 spoiled commie shirt wearing cop hater who lives the high life in a gated neighborhood. Sad.

My goodness, it's a figure of speech. Not everything is meant to be taken literally or designed to offend someone.

You are obviously not paying attention...that ship has sailed. There are millions of people pouring out of Universities all over the Country that would be offended by that " figure of speech" comment alone.

Richard Sherman has every right to stand up for the principles he believes in, I get it. But what he should understand is that those that pay his obscene salary have a right to their principles as well.

That 18% drop in viewership may well continue to fall if this continues. Hope Richard is saving some of those millions.

This everyone gets a trophy generation is going to be the downfall of this nation............or maybe it's just that I'm getting older and remember when hard work and personal responsibility meant something, and everyone wasn't offended by everything.

McNair is 100% right. I know he just used a figure of speech, but the players are upset because it is pretty literal. They know that a lot of the league would be in prison if they didn’t play professional football for a living. They’re thugs. What’s really funny is the more they protest the more they are hurting their future. As the owners continue to lose income they will have to pay less to the players. Stand up, friggin babies.

Reactions: MTC
This is seriously the dumbest non-issue to hit in a while. Right up there with the whole Hobby Lobby selling cotton. Talk about that kid who whines so much that you don't hear it anymore.

Seriously lame. The anti-discrimintaion crowd blackened their own eye.

Reactions: MTC
McNair should have addressed his apology to the numerous NFL players that have been arrested while asking everyone else to what they are taking offense.

That's what we get when we pamper children all their lives.

When we give them prestige and glory for playing a game.
When we give them a free education and allow them to bastardize it to the point that they can't form a coherent sentence...for playing a game.
When we give them more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime....for playing a game

When it's all said and done, these players ( and celebs too BTW ) actually think they are above the fray and can do and say whatever they want...anytime they want.

If they keep it up, they will soon find out just how many people actually give a **** what they think.

th

There'a always an alternative.

Better-Football_o_96800.jpg

I feel just as much as you do Chip.
I don't give a damn what celebs think. Quite frankly I rarely am entertained by shows and movies anymore.

Bringing their opinions to a platform that asks them to play a game.
Players need to learn to leave football to football and politics/opinions for another platform.

They truly are facing a harsh reality. Fans are turning away every season it seems.

Amazingly enough, a lot of them blow it all in 1/3 of a lifetime.

Amazingly enough, a lot of them blow it all in 1/3 of a lifetime.

Oddly, I just had a first hand experience of how clueless young pro athletes are with a Steeler an hour ago.

referring to NFL owners as plantation owners is totally fine though.

Let's check on that free speech-o-meter again. Last week it was all speech is allowed. This week it's back to shut your dam mouth.

McNair needs to man up, grow a pair, stop apologizing, and tell those players to grow the **** up and stop acting like little *******.

The NFL is going down fast, all because Kapernick displayed total disrespect and many players followed. The NFL is losing money. It will never see this amount of revenue again.

referring to NFL owners as plantation owners is totally fine though.

Let's check on that free speech-o-meter again. Last week it was all speech is allowed. This week it's back to shut your dam mouth.

This is a good point. Referring to someone as a plantation owner is a direct shot and a pretty terrible thing to think about someone. As selfish, greedy and out of touch that I think many owners are, I don't think any of them feel that they "own" the players.