• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Texas Church Shooting Leaves 26 Dead

I think the only gun control most people want is universal background checks that include gun shows and
an assault weapons ban. How would those two things effect hunters and ownership for personal protection?
I would think very close to zero.

These two weapons are both semi automatic and shoot the same ammo. Both have the same effective range, and the same killing power. Only one is considered an assault weapon. Why?

index.jpg

And your suggestion, as we've all been saying all along, will have ZERO impact on these crimes. Background checks? Have failed everywhere. Assault weapons ban? SMH. It's been implemented before, failed. Your suggestion is the equivalent of throwing a deck chair off of the Titanic...it will result in zero impact.

GREAT suggestion by the way. You epitomize the modern day SJW...."But we must do something!"

Texas church shooter passed his background check because the military didn't sent his criminal record to the state and Feds. Your government at work. They will protect us.

Texas church shooter passed his background check because the military didn't sent his criminal record to the state and Feds. Your government at work. They will protect us.

Correct. Remember, call the police. You do not need a weapon in your home. They will get there in time.

There's another shooting with the same weapon I think developing today in California.

4 people dead + the perpetrator. 10 people wounded, including children he targeted at an elementary school.

Initial reports indicate possible domestic violence event set him off.

I think the only gun control most people want is universal background checks that include gun shows and
an assault weapons ban. How would those two things effect hunters and ownership for personal protection?
I would think very close to zero.

Did you know that if you buy a gun at a gun show, from a dealer, you already have to pass a background check? Here in FL, if you don't have CCW, you don't leave with it. You go to the dealer store in a few days.

If an individual buys from another individual, they don't. That is such a very very small portion of gun sales and anyone trying to break the law, just wouldn't follow that law either.

And your suggestion, as we've all been saying all along, will have ZERO impact on these crimes. Background checks? Have failed everywhere. Assault weapons ban? SMH. It's been implemented before, failed.

Have they failed “everywhere” or we only hear about the failures? Are you willing to stand by your logic in all instances or only when it comes to gun control? No background checks for teachers, day care workers, cops, FBI recruits, etc?

Have they failed “everywhere” or we only hear about the failures? Are you willing to stand by your logic in all instances or only when it comes to gun control? No background checks for teachers, day care workers, cops, FBI recruits, etc?

Why dont you ask the people of Chicago? I am pretty sure there are more than a few gun control "failures".

Why dont you ask the people of Chicago? I am pretty sure there are more than a few gun control "failures".

They are also ignoring laws against murder, do you believe we should do away with those laws?

you want to hear about success in gun control?
I have a CCW. I carry a gun. Not ******* once has it shot anyone, or even aimed itself at a person. Not once. I can tell you this every day until that changes, as can the other quad million CCW holders in this country, you know, if you want to hear of success.

See you get it. Laws don't stop murders and more gun laws wont stop people from using guns and breaking laws.

Bingo. News flash - people break laws. Everyone one of us breaks the speed limit and countless other violations. Criminals do not obey laws. They will not obey gun laws.

Gun laws do not fix problems like murder, mass shootings, etc.

Bingo. News flash - people break laws. Everyone one of us breaks the speed limit and countless other violations. Criminals do not obey laws. They will not obey gun laws.

Gun laws do not fix problems like murder, mass shootings, etc.

You, who strongly supports the creation of laws dictating who can use which bathroom, are arguing that laws are entirely ineffective. Ha! That’s rich!

Arguing lawlessness because, well people violate the law, is absurd.

You, who strongly supports the creation of laws dictating who can use which bathroom, are arguing that laws are entirely ineffective. Ha! That’s rich!

" lawlessness"? Really? Liberal have to make everything so dramatic..............

you want to hear about success in gun control?
I have a CCW. I carry a gun. Not ******* once has it shot anyone, or even aimed itself at a person. Not once. I can tell you this every day until that changes, as can the other quad million CCW holders in this country, you know, if you want to hear of success.

Right, and you haven’t been convicted of using your gun to rob a bank, right? Do you think people who have been convicted of armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, etc should be granted CCWs?

Right, and you haven’t been convicted of using your gun to rob a bank, right? Do you think people who have been convicted of armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, etc should be granted CCWs?

do you understand that those people cannot?

Classic King Manbun Dipshit reply SMH. You seem to think this discussion is about creating laws. Apples to Oranges. I'm all for creating laws that work and make sense and will yield results.

The argument isn't about lawlessness. It's about effective measures to address problems. My premise, our premise is that no additional laws are needed - let me speak slowly - because....they....won't....work. Because....they....haven't...worked. Because...the problem....is not....GUNS.

The problems are people....mental health...psychotropic drugs...media sensationalizing mass shootings/killings, etc. Addressing those issues will yield results. Passing more background checks will not just like passing more speed laws won't reduce traffic speeds.

Last edited:
Yes, do you see that Tim is arguing that they may as well be able to because laws never work?

no, that is absolutely not what Tim is saying. That is you, again, pulling bullshit.

The problems are people....mental health...psychotropic drugs...media sensationalizing mass shootings/killings, etc. Addressing those issues will yield results. Passing more background checks will not just like passing more speed laws won't reduce traffic speeds.

So the US has more mental health problems, psychotropic drugs, media sensationalism than the other countries of the world with much less gun violence and much more strict gun laws?

And your contention about speed laws is laughable. As if people drive 80 mph regardless if the speed limit is 70 or 25.

So the US has more mental health problems, psychotropic drugs, media sensationalism than the other countries of the world with much less gun violence and much more strict gun laws?

And your contention about speed laws is laughable. As if people drive 80 mph regardless if the speed limit is 70 or 25.

First, I want to assume we are JUST talking about mass killings. Because if we are talking about gun "violence" as defined by the media than that is a much bigger topic and we can debate effective methods to control gang/inner-city violence or suicides by guns or accidental deaths by guns. All those are completely DIFFERENT debates and can not be simplified into "more gun laws" (at least not in my strong opinion).

If we are just talking about mass killings (with or without a gun) than what you say above is somewhat true. The nature of our country as more "independent" and much more spread out might lead to less effective ways to treat and combat mental illness. It is much easier to treat mental illness in France or Belgium or England due to how close everything is. Everyone in within an hour or so of (likely) a major town/city that has reasonably qualified mental health professionals. Not so sure that applies to places in Texas or Northern California or rural western U.S.

I also think we DO have a problem with media sensationalism vs. Europe right now. Our media in particular is much more cutthroat to get ratings it seems than European news. Hell, the BBC has some of the highest trust polling even from AMERICANS vs. our media here. Part of that has to do with how ratings work and how our advertising dollars work on such a huge market (the whole U.S.). Getting just 1 point more in market share by FOX or CNN or MSNBC could mean tens of millions of dollars. So they are inclined to sensationalize EVERYTHING and to make it as partisan as possible.

So I would argue if we are talking JUST about mass killings than the U.S. does have some difference vs. Europe on health, drug use and media sensationalism that could be impacting this relatively small subset of gun violence.

Your claim is that strict gun laws are the reason. That is your basis. Strict gun law in the US do not work. Those US cities and jurisdictions with stronger gun laws tend to be the most violent places in the country. Now, do these other countries force feed psychotropic drugs to their citizens at the rate US doctors do? No. Do they sensationalize violence the way our media does? No. Do they have mental health issues like we do? I don't know. Point is, the gun laws are but one of countless factors that lead to these problems. Fact: In the US stricter gun laws do not work. Why?

I forget the stat but it is well over 90% of mass shooters were currently on, or coming off of some drug like Ritalin. That's a problem we can address. Funny that when I was growing up, mass shootings didn't really occur. Nor were doctors prescribing every other kid with psychotropic drugs. Now we over-prescribe these drugs...and we have this mass shooting problem and the vast majority were on these drugs.

Hmm.

People persistently break speed laws, regardless the legal limit set. People drink and drive. People smoke pot where illegal and take illegal drugs.

Stricter gun laws have not worked in this country. They won't work till the root of the problem is addressed.

Tim hit on the actual problem.

Why do gun laws not work? This cannot be because there is not another law that also makes it illegal to use a gun in a crime. Nor can it be because there are too many guns. As you've stated, Flog, we have enough laws. So why are these laws NOT working? That is the issue.

Why do gun laws not work?

So its gun laws that specifically don’t work, other laws work? And what’s the baseline for working vs not working? The only way to find out would be to abolish all laws and regulation of guns. Are you arguing their would be no increase in gun violence? Do you know what they find more often than not when the seize a gun in Chicago? That it was purchased in either neighboring Wisconsin or Indiana. So it’s not as simple as Chicago’s gun laws not working.

eh, the old gun law debate. Seems that there is no right or wrong answer. There never will be a full proof plan to keep the guns away from the dangerous, violent and mentally ill people. Replace "drugs" with "guns" and will come by the same issues and problems. Laws, laws and more laws don't seem to work. I'm not saying not to make an effort, but I have yet to hear a valid plan to be put in place to stop mass killings or keep the bad people away from guns. People valuing life and others would be a good start.