• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Academic Bubble

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I have been saying this for a couple of years. Higher education will be the next bubble to burst.

https://www.city-journal.org/university-of-tulsa

A Harvard Business School professor recently predicted that up to half of all American colleges and universities will go bankrupt in the next ten to 15 years. While this may be a worst-case scenario, universities have for years been offering an increasingly inferior product at unsustainably high prices to an ever-more skeptical group of prospective students. Many institutions below the top tier are scrambling to respond to the collapse of the higher-education bubble by jettisoning the liberal arts and pumping up the practical ones: health care, computer science, business, and other technical fields that promise to yield jobs immediately after graduation. This approach has been employed in a particularly crude and short-sighted manner at the University of Tulsa, where a new administration has turned a once-vibrant academic institution with a $1.1 billion endowment and a national reputation in core liberal arts subjects into a glorified trade school with a social-justice agenda. Our story is worth telling, because we have been hit by a perfect storm of trends currently tearing through the American academy: the confident ignorance of administrators, the infantilization of students, the policing of faculty, the replacement of thinking with ideological jargon, and the corporatization of education.

I arrived at TU in 1988, the same year Thomas Staley left to head the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas. As TU’s provost, Staley had aggressively recruited serious scholars in the humanities and social sciences. Programs in English, history, and politics were particularly robust; Harvard’s Department of Government devoted a regular column in its newsletter to the activities of our political theorists. Professors critiqued their colleagues’ work, audited one another’s courses, and hosted informal lectures on subjects like pre-Raphaelite painting, medieval monasticism, and the economy of the Italian city-states. Faculty reading groups—some with 15 or more participants, including members of the wider Tulsa community—studied Heidegger’s Being and Time, Montesquieu’s Spirit of the Laws, Montaigne’s Essays, and Solzhenitsyn’s Gulag Archipelago. Undergraduates in our Honors Program studied literary, philosophical, religious, and historical classics from ancient Greece to the twentieth century and capped off their education with serious, substantial senior theses. My first decades at TU were a time of intellectual ferment and growth for faculty and students alike.

But it became clear some years ago that TU was in financial trouble. Faculty have had no raises since 2015. That same year, President Steadman Upham (whose compensation in 2014 exceeded $1.2 million) informed the campus community that the university was providing athletics with a $9 million annual subsidy. The total deficit in 2016 was $26 million. For nine months in 2016–2017, the university ceased to contribute to faculty retirement accounts—effectively, a 9 percent cut in pay. In September 2017, 5 percent of the nonfaculty workforce was laid off. In December 2017, Moody’s downgraded $89 million of TU’s parity revenue bonds and $57 million of student-housing revenue bonds. Around the same time, it was revealed that TU had for years been running a structural deficit of about $16 million. Athletics accounted for most of the total loss; TU’s law school and Tulsa’s Gilcrease Museum, which the university has managed since 2008, made up much of the rest.

TU’s board of trustees is composed of business executives and lawyers, none of whom has a higher-education background. Three trustees graduated from TU’s law school; two others serve on the board of the Gilcrease; more than a few are major supporters of TU’s Division I football program. Disinclined to address the deficit’s primary causes, the board prefers to plug the deficit through a combination of academic program cuts and consolidations, faculty attrition, and a massive capital campaign. Then again, it was never clear to faculty why a university with a billion-dollar endowment needed to cut academic programs. Some suspected that the financial crisis was just an excuse for fundamentally transforming the institution.

Universities are just that. Glorified trade schools.

Maybe the academia bubble should burst. These institutions haven't been producing the best of late.
Those who do work their ***** off do take those healthcare, tech and the like fields anyways.

Cut the liberal arts bs and these schools will be better off.

Universities are just that. Glorified trade schools.

Maybe the academia bubble should burst. These institutions haven't been producing the best of late.
Those who do work their ***** off do take those healthcare, tech and the like fields anyways.

My take is that colleges and universities went to hell when the government pumped a lot more money into the system via student loans and schools started treating students like customers in effort to tap all that money and give out degrees in whatever nut-brained majors people wanted.

Studies of the liberal arts as part of an overall academic program is important.

As a full degree, many of them have their place.

As burgandy says, it has become and industry to pump colleges with all that free gubmint money.

that free gubmint money, willingly accepted by young college students, tends to be more than the typical college student needs. I believe the max per semester is $5,000 (but may depend on where the student is attending). As such, a 4-year degree should require no more than $40,000. Oh, but then there's summer semester, so tack on an additional $10,000.

Since the government is in charge of the student loans, there is no defaulting. So the interest rate is pretty ******* high.

So pretend you're a college kid, and you're handed $5,000 in student loans per semester. You use that for your class credit hour and buy your books with cash. Keep in mind your professor prefers to use the newest book, which is conveniently priced at $250+. And you're taking a full semester of classes. So, you're taking classes, even working a part-time job as you get credits built up towards your degree. When you graduate, you're given a 6-month hold on repaying your student loans...which the interest has accumulated to so much that repayment is overwhelming. You're then tagged with a $700/mo or more repayment of those loans, when even making an average salary puts you in more financial stress had you not gone to college.

Yes, soon the academic bubble will burst. and when it does, it's going to be ugly.

Last edited:
These kids don't have to take the loans or attend college. There are other ways to make money. They should educate themselves about borrowed money before signing on the dotted line.

Reactions: MTC
These kids don't have to take the loans or attend college. There are other ways to make money. They should educate themselves about borrowed money before signing on the dotted line.

I wish I would've known this when I was younger.
College is always pushed as the main go to after high school however.

Idiocy to the rescue

Fear not children. Senator Warren of Massachusetts, who herself stands for nothing but anything and everything that might get her a vote, is there for you...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ren-proposes-640-billion-student-debt-relief/
Elizabeth Warren Proposes $640 Billion Student Debt Relief

SEAN MORAN | 22 Apr 2019

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) proposed Monday a new $640 billion student college debt relief program that would also eliminate college tuition for all two and four-year public colleges. (no concept of reality - ed)

The 2020 Democrat presidential candidate unveiled the ambitious policy proposal as she attempts to distinguish herself from the large and progressive Democrat field. Warren released the proposal ahead of a series of youth-oriented CNN town halls Monday night with 2020 presidential candidates at Saint Anselm College in New Hampshire.

“It’s a problem for all of us,” Warren noting, that student college debt has reached more than $1.5 trillion and affects more than 40 million Americans. “It’s reducing home ownership rates. It’s leading fewer people to start businesses. It’s forcing students to drop out of school before getting a degree.”

Warren’s plan, which would cost roughly $640 billion, would eliminate up to $50,000 in student debt for each person with less than $100,000 in household income. The Massachusetts senators’ plan would also lower college debt for those making incomes between $100,000 and $250,000 but at a more gradual rate. Americans with household income over $250,000 would not receive student debt relief.

Sen. Warren would then eliminate tuition and fees fro all two-year and four-year public colleges as a means to restructure the higher education system to ensure that Americans do not accumulate more college debt.

“Once we’ve cleared out the debt that’s holding down an entire generation of Americans, we must ensure that we never have another student debt crisis again,” the senator suggested.

Sen. Warren’s latest proposal serves as part of a broader strategy to distinguish herself from the growing list of progressive Democrats running for president, especially as many of them already agree on leftist proposals such as the Green New Deal and Medicare for All. Warren also lags behind Democrat front-runners former Vice President Joe Biden and Sanders in the polls as well.

Warren has called on the Senate to abolish the 60-vote filibuster Senate rule and the electoral college; the senator even endorsed legislation to study potential reparations for slavery.

Warren proposed an “ultra-millionaire tax” that would annually tax wealth above $50 million at an extra two percent with an additional one percent tax on wealth over $1 billion.

In March, Sen. Warren called to break up some of America’s largest tech companies, including Google, Facebook, and Amazon.

Faiz Shakir, an executive at the ACLU, said in January that Warren has tried to position herself as the “ideas candidate.”

“Others should start thinking about competing in the arena for new ideas,” Shakir said.

In Warren’s Medium post announcing her college debt-relief program, she touted how higher education has “opened a million doors for” her, despite that she exaggerated her Native American heritage to obtain entrance to Harvard Law School.

“It’s how the daughter of a janitor in a small town in Oklahoma got to become a teacher, a law school professor, a U.S. Senator, and eventually, a candidate for President of the United States,” Warren said.

Y'know, its funny. When you search on 'elizabeth warren slept her way to the top' all that comes back is stuff on Kamala.

No, seriously.

Here in Montana we have a liberal arts college (Montana) and a STEM based college (Montana State). MSU has been expanding every year, up over 50% in the last decade, while UM has been cutting classes like nobody’s business. People are just getting tired of high debt with little chance to pay your bills.

I'm thinking free houses next. Who should be saddled with that much debt. I'm waiting to get my free 750k house. Need that pool screened in,an outdoor kitchen and of course hot tub for those pesky days of doing too little.

My take is that colleges and universities went to hell when the government pumped a lot more money into the system via student loans and schools started treating students like customers in effort to tap all that money and give out degrees in whatever nut-brained majors people wanted.

That's exactly what happened. Colleges used to be for smart people. It wasn't that long ago that high schools encouraged kids to either go to college or learn a trade. The kids who were book smart were encouraged to go to college and those that weren't were advised to take vocational classes and find a trade that interested them.

Now you have counselors looking down on blue collar jobs and telling kids that they have to go to college to have any chance to succeed in life, That has never been true.

Colleges see all the free government money flowing and they did start looking at students as customers. Education is no longer the point.

There are colleges that are now starting to offer degrees in E-Sports. Yeah, go to college to learn to be a better gamer.

$120K+ in student loans for a bullshit sociology degree and no marketable job skills. Then some Scallywag politician says you shouldn't have to pay back debts you incur, and if you vote me into office and I will make it so you won't have to.

Sticking ALL taxpayers with the debt of fools who willingly took on the debt is foolish. If you can't pay the best, don't borrow money. But parents want "what's best for their kids". They think college is the way to go. Many kids that attend college are doing so to avoid having to face real life. Real life smacks them in the face when the money I'd die. Taxpayers shouldn't pay for bad money management by foolish kids and parents. NO.

Now you have counselors looking down on blue collar jobs and telling kids that they have to go to college to have any chance to succeed in life, That has never been true.
The wealthiest person that I know personally is a plumber with a two year business degree. Now he worked hard and owned the company and two related businesses, but still. Same age as me and just sold his companies for $6 million and retired.

Sticking ALL taxpayers with the debt of fools who willingly took on the debt is foolish. If you can't pay the best, don't borrow money. But parents want "what's best for their kids". They think college is the way to go. Many kids that attend college are doing so to avoid having to face real life. Real life smacks them in the face when the money I'd die. Taxpayers shouldn't pay for bad money management by foolish kids and parents. NO.

Hold on X...that money is for the minority community primarily, the others can stay in the basement for awhile longer.

Many of the proposals in Warren’s higher-education plan are focused on racial and socioeconomic equity. Warren would make additional federal funding available to states that demonstrate improvements in enrolling and graduating low-income students and students of color.

Goldrick-Rab said communities of color would stand to benefit significantly from the combination of debt forgiveness and free tuition. However, she said the Pell Grant, a federal program targeting low-income students, is not the best way to cover living expenses.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educ...n-tackle-student-debt/?utm_term=.a416a8eeb190

It's where the votes are, always was, always will be.

What I found interesting is what colleges consider to be ' inadequate funds'. Years back Harvard was poor-mouthing and cutting endowments because of shortfalls.

Recently, Harvard announced that their endowment dropped 30% last year from $36.9 billion to $26 billion. Due to their financial hardship, they eliminated 275 staff jobs and a put a freeze on salaries. At the same time, Harvard’s announcement of planned across-the-board budget cuts of 10% to 15% in all Harvard’s departments and a 3.5% tuition increase for the 2009-2010 academic year (much higher than the rate of inflation).
https://20somethingfinance.com/harvard-endowment/

BTW...it is still $37 B in 2017

Why is Harvard cutting operational budgets and staff? Since when is a $26 billion pile of cash simply not big enough?

Is Harvard planning to start their own country? Become a publicly traded stock? Go to war against Canada?

What is the motive for hoarding this obscene amount of cash?

If you’re a public university (I realize Harvard is not, but many public universities have endowments far exceeding $1 billion), how can you accept government funds and raise tuition and sit on this cash? Don’t you owe it to the lower and middle classes and the United States of America as a public university to provide a world class education at an affordable price??

The answer is...Why would ya when ya got tools like Warren to get it from the taxpayers.

th

And NO...Harvard is not alone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

That's exactly what happened. Colleges used to be for smart people. It wasn't that long ago that high schools encouraged kids to either go to college or learn a trade. The kids who were book smart were encouraged to go to college and those that weren't were advised to take vocational classes and find a trade that interested them.

As a counselor, I can tell you that that mentality is now pretty much dead and over even with the old fogies still in the field, at least in areas that have industry available. It ended a couple years ago around me. There are way too many kids now who are going into oil and gas jobs, coal mines, electrician trades, welding, etc and making a **** ton of money and with no debt, to be able to continue that old school train of thought in the field. With all those industries booming in Appalachia again, the tide turned around here in a big hurry. Hell I have 2 or 3 of the top students in the Senior class every year now, that are bypassing college and going into trades.

Even when I go to ACT / SAT / college conferences now, they have to grudgingly acknowledge that trades and the work force are a profitable way to make a living for many students. 3 years ago those very ideas were openly scoffed at by these exact same people. Now the coal, welding, gas jobs are available everywhere around these parts and it's no secret what kind of money they pay.

Any time a kid comes to me and says they have a leg up on a job like that that pays very well, I tell them to go for it because they'll make twice the salary I do and won't be 120K in debt like my wife and me.

Last edited:
As a counselor, I can tell you that that mentality is now pretty much dead and over even with the old fogies still in the field, at least in areas that have industry available. It ended a couple years ago around me. There are way too many kids now who are going into oil and gas jobs, coal mines, electrician trades, welding, etc and making a **** ton of money and with no debt, to be able to continue that old school train of thought in the field. When all those industries started booming in Appalachia again, the tide turned around here in a big hurry. Hell I have 2 or 3 of the top students in the Senior class every year now, that are bypassing college and going into trades.

Even when I go to ACT / SAT / college conferences now, they have to begrudgingly acknowledge that trades and the work force are a profitable way to make a living for many students. 3 years ago those very ideas were openly scoffed at by these exact same people. Now the coal, welding, gas jobs are available everywhere around these parts and it's no secret what kind of money they pay.

Any time a kid comes to me and says they have a leg up on a job like that that pays very well, I tell them to go for it because they won't end up 120K in debt like my wife and me.

Good to hear.

Want to get a good laugh? Read an email from most any recent graduate of a public university. Many are practically unreadable, especially if penned by a foreign student. They'll leave you shaking your head as to how it was possible they graduated with a passing grade.

Liberal arts includes English. The near-illiteracy of the American population contributes significantly to a very stilted, narrow world view, and an obsession with self. How many college graduates did not read Great Expectations? Or the Odyssey? How many college graduates are unable to compose a reasoned paragraph, with no misspellings or grammatical errors?

Liberal arts studies require substantial reading, writing, and critical thinking. Those skills relate to everyday life, and are skills highly valued by employers. The bastardization of liberal arts to include vagina theories and the morality of capitalism does not detract from genuine, classical liberal arts, including languages, English, even drama and arts. We as a society are judged in significant part on our contributions to literature, music, and art. The terrible fire involving the Notre Dame cathedral was so devastating because of the irreplaceable stain glass windows, art, and relics that the fire consumed.

So as a liberal arts major - English and Economics - I point out that the liberal arts are important for the workforce, for everyday life and in fact for our society as a whole. I now step off my soapbox.

Oh, and as to Warren's plan to give hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars to pay off student debt, let me use my liberal arts background to proffer the following response:

**** YOU, WARREN.

I paid my student loans. My wife paid her student loans. Wife and I paid for our kids college expenses, and they are paying off their student loans. If you take on the debt and are too incompetent to earn enough to pay it off, that is your mistake, not mine.

Why in God's name should I pay for your mistakes???

Oh, and as to Warren's plan to give hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars to pay off student debt, let me use my liberal arts background to proffer the following response:

**** YOU, WARREN.

I paid my student loans. My wife paid her student loans. Wife and I paid for our kids college expenses, and they are paying off their student loans. If you take on the debt and are too incompetent to earn enough to pay it off, that is your mistake, not mine.

Why in God's name should I pay for your mistakes???

Some blame should also be placed at the feet of the lenders for giving that much money to idiots.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the Federal Govt been the sole lender since about 2012? About the same time when they mandated that adults could be on their parents health insurance until they are 26?

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the Federal Govt been the sole lender since about 2012? About the same time when they mandated that adults could be on their parents health insurance until they are 26?

Yes, and yes.

The ten words I fear the most: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

Reactions: MTC