• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The good and the bad from Trump's election.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Being very middle and slightly left, I am only mildly disappointed with the result, but hey, I would have been disappointed either way. The old punk rock anarchist in me is a bit intrigued with what will happen to this country with a President, and both houses of congress in synch. I know the first year, the GOP may be split on Trump's policies, but he's in charge, and will eventually get them to vote for his policy.

I'm an optimist by brain chemistry, so I see many positives here with a Trump presidency, I also see many downfalls, so I'll start with the bad to end on a high note.

THE BAD:
Traveling internationally will again be a *****: When Bush was in office, Europe HATED us. If you traveled there, you were met with quite a bit of hostility when people realized you were American. The diverse world fears what Trump can do with complete power, and those fears will lead to more hostility.

There are now a lot of frightened minorities in this country. AFAMs will feel more displaced than ever before, and Latinos will fear either themselves or family members, being pushed back to their countries. Domestically this can create some powderkeg situations where there will be more minorities fighting the cops again. This will promote more militarization of the police force, leading us closer to the police state the GOPs were fearing from the DEMs.

Internationally, we are now the #1 target for terrorism. Trump has now set the bar that every terrorist wants to break. He's openly against Muslims, which means he is now openly against 1B people worldwide. I think Obama got more of a pass from Muslims with a middle name like Houssain and by being darker skinned. Trump is the reassertion of the white devil, and his words create a better demon for these terrorists to rally against. Is it right? No, but I believe it will be the perception.

No Experience. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing here, but it is a concern. I'm sure his anti-establishment policies will shake up DC, but he still has to work with these guys. The swamp will not be drained, and I fear he may have to live in that swamp for 4 years. The best that can come of it, is hopefully term limits are enacted, and also I'd like to see politicians held to the same ethical/criminal standards as the rest of the country.

Half of the country HATES him. This is probably going to be the president with the highest disapproval rating ever, when he enters office. The country will be very polarized this and next year. Trump has to work hard on his policies to show what he is doing, IS helping the American people. Start by fixing the healthcare system, and growing the middle class, and he will be revered.

THE GOOD:
All of my business will soon benefit from the 15% tax. More money for my family, and less for Uncle Sam. It won't kick in this year, but hopefully next year it will be enacted. I see all GOP and most Dems getting behind that change anyway, so it should be a done deal.

Nuclear war with Russia will not happen. Many Dems saw Trump's affinity for Russia as a negative, but I see it as a positive. I think Russia respects Trump, since they hate weakness. If you apologize to a Russian, they immediately think you are a *****. This is their culture. Trump fits it. I think he and Putin will get along. I think Putin may get his way to shake up Europe and might take some Eastern Block countries back, but I don't think nuclear war with the US will be reality anymore.

China and US relations should also improve. The trade deals should swing back into our favor, which is good, because their economy is stronger than ours, so we need the breaks now. Becoming closer trade partners will improve our relations with them, though this administration may be more apt to look the other way while China starts expanding their sphere of influence on the pacific rim islands.

With improved relations with Russia and China, the US may find itself leaving longtime allies in Europe to build a new treaty. I don't know if it is good or bad, but a Russia/China/US pact would set world policy. The only downside is all 3 countries have an equal opportunity to **** the others over, if they decide to militarize (much like Germany did with Russia in WW2).

Infrastructure Jobs will increase. To tell you the truth, I don't give a **** about a wall. Ladders and tunnels render them useless. There will be a construction project for some kind of wall that will create jobs. I also believe that he's committed to rebuilding the roads and bridges that are falling into disrepair. We have the tech to build a Smartwall. Set up sensors, and cameras. Monitor them, and target the movement. To me, this is WAYYY more cost beneficial, and would be a better deterrent to a physical wall.

minorities here legally should have nothing to fear....
Trump is not against muslims. he is against terrorists. wanted "refugees" checked out prior to allowing them in the county is just the safe thing to do.
Half the county HATES hillery also....so that would be the same issue either way

Trump is not against muslims. he is against terrorists. wanted "refugees" checked out prior to allowing them in the county is just the safe thing to do.
Half the county HATES hillery also....so that would be the same issue either way

I understand Trumps actual view on muslims, but the worldwide perception is there, that he is a muslim hating xenophobe. And perception trumps truth.

Over half the country hates both of them, so yes it would be the same either way. Really a weird election.

I understand Trumps actual view on muslims, but the worldwide perception is there, that he is a muslim hating xenophobe. And perception trumps truth.

Over half the country hates both of them. Really a weird election.

and why is it that way??? Oh yeah the ******* media.....if they would report facts instead of their liberal masters opinions, this country would be in a lot better shape

and why is it that way??? Oh yeah the ******* media.....if they would report facts instead of their liberal masters opinions, this country would be in a lot better shape

In his first press conference, I hope he calls them out on it. Who ever he names as his press secretary should have a field day.

The press should report the news, not make it. Time for all of them to get knocked down a few pegs.

Yep!

This country is already polarized under Obama.
Europe is committing cultural suicide with its immigration policies.

Well, the ******* media isn't going away.

Trump will have to endure endless unfair criticism and spin from the liberal leaning news outlets as well as mockery from late night. He will likely be put in situations where he cannot say (disclose) what he wants and is forced to eat a **** sandwich. How do you suppose he deals with that... for four years?

Trump will have to endure endless unfair criticism and spin from the liberal leaning news outlets as well as mockery from late night. He will likely be put in situations where he cannot say (disclose) what he wants and is forced to eat a **** sandwich. How do you suppose he deals with that... for four years?

If we have learned nothing else from this election it's that America's eyes have been opened to the elitist mainstream media and its lies.

But whose fault is that? Trump in part, but I blame the media, celebrities and the overall left who made him out to be a muslim hating xenophobe.

well maybe the media will start doing their job correctly instead of being a liberal tool to fool the masses......

If we have learned nothing else from this election it's that America's eyes have been opened to the elitist mainstream media and its lies.

Bill Maher talked abou how liberals and the media cried wolf and unfairly treated both McCain and Romney as being totally unacceptable and unfit to be president and then when they really needed to get that message across it fell on deaf ears.

Bill Maher talked abou how liberals and the media cried wolf and unfairly treated both McCain and Romney as being totally unacceptable and unfit to be president and then when they really needed to get that message across it fell on deaf ears.

Yep. People don't believe them anymore.

Over half the country hates both of them, so yes it would be the same either way. Really a weird election.

Perception didn't trump truth last night. Not even close. Perceptions were nuked across the board last night.

People across the globe can operate on the false media-driven perceptions like those you listed, or sit back and watch the realities unfold.

the EXCELLENT news is that we should be done with Clintons in/running for office, forever.

Oh I think we'll see Chelsea running for office in the future. How horrible is that thought?

Quoted for truth.

Ah, the "optimistic by nature" liberals making up all kinds of stupid ****. Love it.

We always have been the number one target for terrorism. That didn't change when Obama was president. To date there have been 38 terrorist attacks on US soil during his term. Under Bush there was 5, but 9/11 was one of them. So Your explanation of Obama getting a pass is wrong.

Creating powder keg situations where minorities are fighting cops again? Has it ever stopped? I'm 53 and this situation right now to treatment of cops is by far and away the worst I've seen in my adult life. Obama has a lot to do with that. Maybe instead of conducting himself like a repressed activist instead of the president of ALL the citizens of the US, things might not be so volatile now.

Experience? Obama was a Senator for barely 3 years and a large part of that time he was campaigning to be president. Before that he was a community organizer. He never ran a damn thing in his life before he became president. Trump has run a pretty successful business for quite a long time now and he surrounds himself with good people, that's why he is successful. I think he'll build an awesome cabinet that has experience to help him along initially.

As already mentioned above, half the country hates Clinton too. Thing is, the half that hates Trump are the childish ones that will become destructive. It's already happening in Cali.

We always have been the number one target for terrorism. That didn't change when Obama was president. To date there have been 38 terrorist attacks on US soil during his term. Under Bush there was 5, but 9/11 was one of them. So Your explanation of Obama getting a pass is wrong.

Creating powder keg situations where minorities are fighting cops again? Has it ever stopped? I'm 53 and this situation right now to treatment of cops is by far and away the worst I've seen in my adult life. Obama has a lot to do with that. Maybe instead of conducting himself like a repressed activist instead of the president of ALL the citizens of the US, things might not be so volatile now.

Experience? Obama was a Senator for barely 3 years and a large part of that time he was campaigning to be president. Before that he was a community organizer. He never ran a damn thing in his life before he became president. Trump has run a pretty successful business for quite a long time now and he surrounds himself with good people, that's why he is successful. I think he'll build an awesome cabinet that has experience to help him along initially.

As already mentioned above, half the country hates Clinton too. Thing is, the half that hates Trump are the childish ones that will become destructive. It's already happening in Cali.

I'm not a Dem, and this is not a Con vs Dem argument. These are perceptions from the center, and believe me, I would have a list of pros and cons if Hillary won too. You may disagree, but the perceptions are there. Especially the one where the world is laughing at America choosing Trump, much like Americans laughed at Brexit. The world is changing to become more conservative, and liberals are going to have to stop finger pointing and blaming conservatives for all of their problems, to get any real work done now. I only hope they choose to work with the conservatives instead of block every proposal and work against them, as the conservative congress has done for the past 4 years.

I'm not a Dem, and this is not a Con vs Dem argument. These are perceptions from the center, and believe me, I would have a list of pros and cons if Hillary won too. You may disagree, but the perceptions are there. Especially the one where the world is laughing at America choosing Trump, much like Americans laughed at Brexit. The world is changing to become more conservative, and liberals are going to have to stop finger pointing and blaming conservatives for all of their problems, to get any real work done now. I only hope they choose to work with the conservatives instead of block every proposal and work against them, as the conservative congress has done for the past 4 years.
Way off the mark. If you don't think congress "worked with" Obama, you haven't been paying attention. That's a big reason that Trump got elected. America laughed at Brexit? Strange delusional liberal worldview you have.