• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Ravens loss. a different perspective

It sounds contradictory. He is a killer in the regular season but hasn't been able to raise his game when the stakes are high. Career passing numbers are very good so you think you add in his rushing abilities and you have a SB winner. Nope

The strip sack was partly his fault for not getting rid of the ball. He missed an open wr for a TD in Q3 on an easy throw. He missed 2 consecutive throws down the side line in single coverage in Q4. He threw a horrible pick on their last chance to drive and tie with a TD. Yes it was DPI but that doesn't excuse the late throw. He threw a ball that bounced off the DB hands. Should have been a pick and maybe a TD. Memories of Ike.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories but it is confusing to see one of the fastest guys in the league put the brakes on and stop after rushing for 20 yards. No one stops running in this game when there is green grass in front of them and to the sideline. They stif arm and go. And for most of the game he is doing his Rudy imitation standing tall in the pocket like he's on a beach somewhere. I think that's coaching.

After watching the All 22 he had a dozen chances to pickup at least 10 yards and did not take off an burn the Chiefs D. Chiefs coaches must have been ecstatic after the game. Score 0 in 2nd half of AFCCG and you win a trip to the SB. It's comical

So yes he is not the QB you want in your division although playing against him arguably makes our D better. He isn't the same guy with a trip to the SB on the line. He was a mess. I don't expect that to change
The problem was they tried to make him win throwing from the pocket. They ran the ball with their RBs 6 times. Flowers got a couple in and Jackson a handful. They should have run a balanced offense. Going into the game i read a half dozen articles saying they were the most balance team on offense. Go figure.

I hear ya but after watching coach film KC often had 9 and 10 in the box. I enjoy blaming Jackson but this is on monken.

I hear ya but after watching coach film KC often had 9 and 10 in the box. I enjoy blaming Jackson but this is on monken.
Lamar has never proven he can do it on his passing alone. And that's where Balt. sits. When push comes to shove, that halts their ride. If Balt. can run the ball and he can supplement their offense with the pass, they can ride. Having the total offense ride on his arm alone, no mas; doesn't seem to work.

Numbers disagree with you. And I'm only talking about playoff Lamar and in terms of the ultimate goal. He's a beast in the regular season will be happy to see him retire hopefully as soon as his contract is up

Numbers disagree with you. And I'm only talking about playoff Lamar and in terms of the ultimate goal. He's a beast in the regular season will be happy to see him retire hopefully as soon as his contract is up
Great, in 5 years you will get your wish. Or maybe it's 4 years now, he signed for 5 years. But he's only gonna be 31 then so....doubt he will retire.

To sum up. The Ravens blew a golden opportunity to win a Super Bowl. There is no unbeatable team this year. The league was wide open. With their defense an run game, they could have won simply by not making mistakes and wearing down the other team.

Instead, they wanted to win a particular way, by proving to everybody that Lamar is a great passer. You have to wonder, who made that decision?

I doubt it was Monken. Monken won titles at Georgia perfectly content to run the ball, complete a few play action passes and let his defense bludgeon opponents.

Was it Jon Harbaugh? Maybe, but he just watched his cheating brother Jim win a championship with defense and run game. He wasn't letting JJ McCarthy throw it 30 times. He was content to win ugly. Jon's whole NFL career was built on winning ugly and not caring about style points.

Was it the owner or GM? This would be my bet. It seems they would be more worried about off field issues.

Regardless, they lost a bunch of coaches, and each year of a big QB contract makes it tougher to keep a team together as other young players hit free agency.

The ravens also caught a break within the division. Bengals imploded without Burrow. The Steelers were driving with the Matt Canada parking break on the offense. The Browns lost Chubb and ended up with Flacco at QB.

The ravens had it all going this year (as did the Lions) and they blew it. They will be heavy favorites again next year but it will be a tougher road.

To sum up. The Ravens blew a golden opportunity to win a Super Bowl. There is no unbeatable team this year. The league was wide open. With their defense an run game, they could have won simply by not making mistakes and wearing down the other team.

Instead, they wanted to win a particular way, by proving to everybody that Lamar is a great passer. You have to wonder, who made that decision?

I doubt it was Monken. Monken won titles at Georgia perfectly content to run the ball, complete a few play action passes and let his defense bludgeon opponents.

Was it Jon Harbaugh? Maybe, but he just watched his cheating brother Jim win a championship with defense and run game. He wasn't letting JJ McCarthy throw it 30 times. He was content to win ugly. Jon's whole NFL career was built on winning ugly and not caring about style points.

Was it the owner or GM? This would be my bet. It seems they would be more worried about off field issues.

Regardless, they lost a bunch of coaches, and each year of a big QB contract makes it tougher to keep a team together as other young players hit free agency.

The ravens also caught a break within the division. Bengals imploded without Burrow. The Steelers were driving with the Matt Canada parking break on the offense. The Browns lost Chubb and ended up with Flacco at QB.

The ravens had it all going this year (as did the Lions) and they blew it. They will be heavy favorites again next year but it will be a tougher road.
Agreed. Also if I recall correctly, the Rats got behind early so they had to throw maybe more than they wanted to. I regard Lamar as slightly more accurate version of Kordell Stewart.

Agreed. Also if I recall correctly, the Rats got behind early so they had to throw maybe more than they wanted to. I regard Lamar as slightly more accurate version of Kordell Stewart.

In the early days, the Ravens decided to try and emulate the STEELERS in all aspects of the game. It all started way beack in the Ozzie days, extending to present. Maybe Hairball watched so many Steeler game tapes that maybe he became
”the Tomlin” and called what they wouldn’t suspect….. go against their strength, even if that is your weakness, take yourself out of your strengths sort of way.

Salute the nation

Why? He blows vs the Steelers... i hope they extend him again and again... that contract really starts hurting in 2025. They probably only have next year and run first qbs drop off a cliff at 29 or 30... so he is soon to be a very expensive anchor

meh, Korky would have been way more accurate if the over the middle rules were the same back then. Lamar is just a slightly faster Kordell

Even down to trying to prove he is a pocket passer to the detriment of the team

The ravens also caught a break within the division. Bengals imploded without Burrow. The Steelers were driving with the Matt Canada parking break on the offense.
I think you nailed it: most likely owner and/or GM; they just signed Lamar for huge contract and wanted to prove their wisdom in doing so, egos ARE apart of the NFL. We sure see it in Pgh. With your comment of
The Steelers were driving with the Matt Canada parking break on the offense
I think could be more accurate to say "The Steelers were driving a Tomlin-controlled offense with the parking brake on." Everything points to Tomlin influencing that offense to play scared more than any other person. Shades alwayys escapes accountability; it's the "Steelers' way."

They tried to run and got shut down. Credit Reid and Co for that. Passing was working but Jackson rarely ran when he had room. Watch coaches film and you'll see a dozen instances where he had "easy" 5-10 yard runs. If he does this the chiefs D likely loses composure and Baltimore runs away with it. Sorry for the pun.

Jackson: missed throws he usually makes especially one on a crosser to agolor I think that would have been a TD. Jackson was pressing and misses 3 more throws to OBJ and Agolor and Bateman. Wilted from pressure as game went on. This is a one score game mind you. He failed. Can he get better? Time will tell but like you say now was the time.

Also threw a pick that was dropped. Don't want to hear about the DPI on the pick in EZ.. yes it should have been called but that was nothing compared to the heaping pile of fail served up by Jackson for 2 halves. 50% passing including one completion to himself.

Last edited:
The problem was they tried to make him win throwing from the pocket. They ran the ball with their RBs 6 times. Flowers got a couple in and Jackson a handful. They should have run a balanced offense. Going into the game i read a half dozen articles saying they were the most balance team on offense. Go figure.
I remember that happening to Baker Mayfield too with the browns. Against us, final game of the regular season irc