• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Draft Grade After 2 Days; How Would You Grade Them?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
After the long wait from the end of the season, we are finally here. Two days into the NFL draft and the Pittsburgh Steelers have three new players going into 2022. There has been a lot of different conversations and feeling on the picks. Here’s where I have them graded, and the draft as a whole graded so far:

First Round: Kenny Pickett QB (Pitt)

This is still the most polarizing and discussed pick still as we sit here today with two more picks already in. With the Steelers on the clock at #20 they had the entire quarterback class on the board in front of them. The sure bet was that they were going to take Liberty prospect Malik Willis, but it wasn’t him. They took Pitt Heisman finalist Kenny Pickett, and left everyone stunned. Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin have since said they did not believe that Pickett would fall to them, and perhaps that’s why the apparent love affair between Willis and the Steelers was so prominent. However, the Steelers got their hometown prospect, who was clearly their top choice on their big board.

Pickett provides a strong arm, and an accurate one. He has solid mobility and is a sneaky athlete, running a 4.73 40 yard dash. He is coming off the best season of his collegiate career, where he was a finalist for the Heisman, as mentioned before. He finished the season with 4,319 passing yards, 42 touchdowns (an ACC record), and 7 interceptions. He racked up multiple awards, including the Jonny Unitas Golden-Arm as well as being named the ACC Player of the Year.

Steelers QB Kenny Pickett

Steelers First Round Pick Kenny Pickett (CBS Sports)

Pickett figures to compete right away with free agent signing Mitchell Trubisky for the starting job. Both bring similar skill sets to the table, and the camp battle will write the story for who starts going into 2022, but there’s no doubt the Steelers have serious long term plans for their new first round quarterback. The fact remains though that Pickett benefitted from a very weak quarterback class. With no quarterback being selected until the third round after Pickett, that shows you how much he benefitted from the poor play from others.

Watch Pickett’s introductory press conference here

Draft Grade: C+

Second Round: George Pickens WR (Georgia)

This was a huge grab and in my opinion the best pick of the draft for the Steelers so far. There was an obvious need here. The Steelers saw three wideouts depart from the team in free agency. Pickens fits the mold of what the Steelers love to see in a wideout; size and speed. Pickens stands at 6’3” and ran a 4.47 at the combine. Add a 33 inch vertical to that and you got yourself a prototypical prospect the Steelers will salivate over. We’ve seen it before in players such as Plaxico Burress, Martavis Bryant, and current wideout Chase Claypool.

1C889BFF-227E-4B1B-B506-7EB84B9388DC-1024x683.jpeg

Steelers Second Round Pick George Pickens (DK.com)

Pickens is coming off a college season in which he helped the Georgia Bulldogs win a national championship. He was only able to play in 5 games as he was coming off an ACL injury from the season prior, but had a 52 yard catch in the national championship. He totaled 90 receptions for 1,347 yards and 14 touchdowns in his collegiate career. He figures to see immediate playing time in a depleted receiver room, and look to be a threat downfield for this years offense.

Draft Grade: A

Third Round: DeMarvin Leal DE (Texas A&M)

The Steelers could have gone a lot of different directions in the third round. The team went with defensive end DeMarvin Leal. This is a nice pick here, as this gives depth and versatility on the defensive line. Stephon Tuitt and Chris Wormley will be free agents after the 2022 season, and Cam Heyward isn’t getting any younger.

0A1669C1-9A13-439A-878A-FF055343C774.jpeg

Steelers Third Round Pick DeMarvin Leal (The Game Haus)

Leal is coming off the best season of his collegiate career in which he tallied 8.5 sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss. At 6’4” 283, he is a little lighter than one would like to see from an interior lineman, but that can always be worked on. He is a nice scheme fit for the Steelers, and he will figure to become a contributor early on in his career. It’s very likely that Leal will be inserted into the Steelers defensive line rotation from the beginning. The Steelers try to keep their lineman as fresh as possible, but that plan has been foiled in recent years due to injuries.

Overall, it has been a very positive draft for the Steelers thus far. It may not be the flashiest compared to past years, but they are filling needs and adding quality depth. They are on track to follow the business model Colbert discussed earlier in the week, in which he said the goal is always for the first three picks to become starters. The team is business as usual so far, and will look to finish strong tomorrow in rounds 4-7.

Overall Draft Grade Rounds 1-3: B

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

They drafted for need it seems...
Usually that's risky IMHO..

But I'm cautiously optimistic on the abilities of the the players selected.

B++ for me.

Id give them an A- they obviously got the guy they wanted in the first but they probably could have traded down and got him, and tgey tried to trade up to get him…

Pickens in the second was a perfect pick… 1st round talent dropped because of injury and super depth at the position, and a DE in the third that had first round grades all over the place and fell because he was twelve pounds lighter than teams wanted and didn’t have lights out speed… and he plays faster on tape

Before the draft id have said the glaring need was obviously a qb for the future, another top end wr, an OT , and a DLine guy , and we got three high grade guys at each of those except the OT

Overall a D-

Pickett F, could've had him in the second, if you absolutely had to have him, which we didn't
Pickens B+, the only bright spot so far, but Skyy going with the following pick turned down the brightness a bit
Leal C, a reach in the 3rd

Not what you're looking for, but grading any of these guys before they take their first snap, is pure speculation, which is OK on a message board, but doesn't lend itself to the reality that will follow. Bet the Charger fans were thrilled with Ryan Leaf.

I'll give them a B+ and hope for the best.

Pickett: Getting your targeted QB without having to trade up is always a huge win. Given his skills/age are not consensus top 5 player I will give them a B .

Pickens A+, first round talent at pick 52

Leal B, predraft darling that fell after the combine. He even was considered a late 1st/early 2nd prospects by film scouts. Film has to be seriously weighted in a player.

Overall a D-

Pickett F, could've had him in the second, if you absolutely had to have him, which we didn't
Pickens B+, the only bright spot so far, but Skyy going with the following pick turned down the brightness a bit
Leal C, a reach in the 3rd
Getting the fifth year option for a QB is pretty significant.

Nothing against Pickett, I didn't want the Steelers to pick any QB in the first round this year as I didn't feel any justified the selection. Pickett did have a superb senior year and he has some great qualities. Is he better than Trubitsky, time will tell. I would have taken Jermaine Johnson from FSU.

I do like their other picks so far.

I wasn't keen on QB in the first round, but all the guys I really wanted were gone by 20. I would've been fine with McDuffie, but I was fine with Pickett at that point. They weren't taking a pass rusher with Watt and Highsmith.

My grade is a simple one. TBD! Ask me this in two years. There is no way to know how these players will shake out so you can’t really grade them yet.
But that’s no fair, and no fun! Everyone will give the same grade in two years for heavens sake!
These grades are for the here and now.
The point in giving grades now is a way for you to state your opinion on now how well you think a team filled their needs with the talent available.
You’ll find out in two or so years, maybe even sooner if you gave the right grade👍

Hard to get you arms around a QB so many question in the sports world.. We sign a QB that had more sacks than throws in Chicago and they had a poor offensive line, Sound familiar to the Steelers. So why sing this QB from Pitt? We need so many other players and we pick a QB, two receivers and still have the same defense and O line.

Hard to get you arms around a QB so many question in the sports world.. We sign a QB that had more sacks than throws in Chicago and they had a poor offensive line, Sound familiar to the Steelers. So why sing this QB from Pitt? We need so many other players and we pick a QB, two receivers and still have the same defense and O line.
Mason Cole and James Daniels will be starting on the offensive line.

But that’s no fair, and no fun! Everyone will give the same grade in two years for heavens sake!
These grades are for the here and now.
The point in giving grades now is a way for you to state your opinion on now how well you think a team filled their needs with the talent available.
You’ll find out in two or so years, maybe even sooner if you gave the right grade👍
Stewey I just don’t think anyone can seriously give a grade on any player before they hit the field. Based on what these guys did in college sure you can but I have no idea how that translates to the NFL.

Obviously the highlight of this draft was us landing our future franchise QB in Kenny Pickett . We couldn’t have made a better first round selection. I’m still convinced that T really wanted Makayla, but ownership intervened because they saw the train-wreck that was a coming. Not going to lie, our other picks leave a lot to be desired for me, personally. I wonder if after Rooney intervened with the QB pick, they threw Dopey a few bones by giving him a say in the other selections.

Sky Moore was a no-brainer and the fact that we passed on him for George “I’m hurt again but want to dump liquids on people’s heads” Pickens is a real head scratcher for me. I’m still not sold on Drop Happy DJ or Bar Brawl Claypool, so I think a really solid WR was a must for us. I think we dropped the ball here – no pun intended. Anyone else thinking we could have benefited with some veteran depth? Ex. Deebo Samuel ..

Also, I wouldn’t have went for a D lineman with my 3rd round pick. Demarvin Leal seems like a work in progress with some obvious flaws. Again, was T thrown another bone given the selection choice? At best, I’d say it’s too early to tell with Calvin Austin, but you can’t be too upset given that he didn’t cost us more than a 4th round.

Btw, are we going to just ignore our glaring hole at the backup RB position? We deserve better than part 4 of Benny's Smell. I would have probably made a play for Brian Robinson Jr in the 3rd round.

So, I’m looking at all this from a standpoint of “but can we beat the Bengals” and I’m just not sure. What about KC? Can we hang?

I think KP will do a lot to cover our weaknesses, but I would have preferred to have seen him set up for better success both through the draft and via free agency than what I’ve seen so far.

What say you?

Last edited:
Obviously the highlight of this draft was us landing our future franchise QB in Kenny Pickett . We couldn’t have made a better first round selection. I’m still convinced that T really wanted Makayla, but ownership intervened because they saw the train-wreck that was a coming. Not going to lie, our other picks leave a lot to be desired for me, personally. I wonder if after Rooney intervened with the QB pick, they threw Dopey a few bones by giving him a say in the other selections.

Sky Moore was a no-brainer and the fact that we passed on him for George “I’m hurt again but want to dump liquids on people’s heads” Pickens is a real head scratcher for me. I’m still not sold on Drop Happy DJ or Bar Brawl Claypool, so I think a really solid WR was a must for us. I think we dropped the ball here – no pun intended. Anyone else thinking we could have benefited with some veteran depth? Ex. Deebo Samuel ..

Also, I wouldn’t have went for a D lineman with my 3rd round pick. Demarvin Leal seems like a work in progress with some obvious flaws. Again, was T thrown another bone given the selection choice? At best, I’d say it’s too early to tell with Calvin Austin, but you can’t be too upset given that he didn’t cost us more than a 4th round.

Btw, are we going to just ignore our glaring hole at the backup RB position? We deserve better than part 4 of Benny's Smell. I would have probably made a play for Brian Robinson Jr in the 3rd round.

So, I’m looking at all this from a standpoint of “but can we beat the Bengals” and I’m just not sure. What about KC? Can we hang?

I think KP will do a lot to cover our weaknesses, but I would have preferred to have seen him set up for better success both through the draft and via free agency than what I’ve seen so far.

What say you?
Good with Pickett after how the draft board fell.

I like swinging for the fences with a potential star receiver in the second as opposed to a slot guy. DJ is an upcoming free agent and Claypool isn't going to be a No. 1. The Steelers got a slot guy with outside potential two rounds later. That's smart drafting.

The defense got shredded last year due to lack of depth along the defensive line. Everyone said they needed to inject youth into the position and since Tomlin doesn't value nose tackles, defensive end was going to be a priority. They got good value with Leal in the third round.

They need a backup running back, it just isn't a priority compared to other positions on the roster.