• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Have Declined Devin Bush’s 5th Year Option; He Will Be A FA Next Year

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have decided to decline the fifth year option available to them for former 10th overall pick, Devin Bush. He will be the 3rd player out of the last 4 that the Steelers have declined. Most recently Terrell Edmunds who eventually was re-signed as a free agent.

The struggle has been real between the Steelers, and Bush. The Steelers traded up in the 2019 NFL draft to pick #10 to select the Michigan stand out. His ability to range from sideline to sideline, and be able to cover tight ends and running backs made the choice to move up too hard to pass for Pittsburgh. But it’s been and up and down career so far for Bush.

Steelers Traded Up for Devin Bush

The last time the Steelers traded up was 2019 when they moved to pick #10 for Devin Bush / Photo AP

He’s also made some interesting posts on social media that brought him negative attention. Last summer Bush posted a video of a cat falling from multiple stories with this caption: “The only time I seen a cat not land on its feet omg!!
💀

The tweet has since been deleted, but it caught the attention of several folks around social media. Was it the worst thing he could’ve done? No. But it still wasn’t an appropriate video. When the Steelers arrived to training camp last summer, Bush was asked about his social media antics, but downplayed the severity and outrage.

“I don’t know if they’re real fans, to be honest with you,” Bush said. “I saw a lot of people that I don’t know. So, I don’t know.”

Then when asked whether anyone from the Steelers organization had reached out about his posts he responded that they couldn’t control his twitter account.

“It’s my Twitter, so they can’t control it.”

Since then Bush has unfollowed several hundred people, and now only follows 37 accounts. Most of those being Steelers related accounts.

Now his play on the field has been just as controversial as his tweets. As a rookie Bush was all over the field for the Steelers defense. He recorded 109 tackles, 2 interceptions, 9 tackles for a loss, 1 touchdown, 1 forced fumble, and received three votes for AFC defensive rookie of the year. It was a performance that had some rookie moments, but it was something that many Steelers fans were happy with. Then came his torn ACL in 2020. He was off to a solid start to the season before he blew his knee out against the Browns in a lopsided win, week 5.

Steelers Devin Bush tears ACL / PennLive.com

From there it’s been a circus. Due to COVID-19 rules in 2020, Bush was forced to be away from the team. He said last year that he felt like he was on an island at times, and like he wasn’t apart of the team. But Bush pushed through the rough times and made it back in time to play in 2021. But he just wasn’t the same player.

He was timid, a lot of times avoiding contact all together. He didn’t fly all over the field. A lot of the time indecision would take him right out of the play. The knee by all rights seemed to be good to go, but mentally it didn’t seem like he was ready. He missed a few games with COVID-19, but started 14 games total. He only recorded 70 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 fumble recovery. Zero impact plays.

Steelers Stole WR Calvin Austin III 1 Pick Before Ravens Were Set To Select Him

The Steelers now have a secret weapon we hope with Brian Flores coming on board to help with the linebackers. Flores of course spent many years with Bill Belichick in New England helping with his defense. And had he not filed a lawsuit against the NFL he’d likely be a head coach right now. Pittsburgh also brought in veteran Myles Jack to play opposite of Bush. Jack should be an upgrade from Joe Schobert who was released following the season.

Several players have had their options declined as today’s deadline comes at 4pm for a decision. NFL.com has a tracker that they’re keeping up to date.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Edmunds and Bush were both Tomberts 1st round reach specials... Hey but let's grab the raw 5'-8" MLB

Wow! This sets us back if Bushy crashes and burns this season. Could have stayed put at 20 that year and got a starter plus the second round pick could have been a starter. And the third round pick the next year maybe a starter today. Holy crap! This one really hurts. I never could see what they saw in this guy. Always seemed to damn small and nowhere near physical enough

Edmunds and Bush were both Tomberts 1st round reach specials... Hey but let's grab the raw 5'-8" MLB
Bush had an injury that impacted him. So not sure he is a reach based off of his performance pre injury.

Even without the injury I thought he had an ok rookie season, recorded like 110 tackles but I was expecting more from him that first year considering where he was drafted.

If he cannot avoid blocks better than last year nit only will he will be out of the league.

Don't get this,Bush was useless last year, almost loke the injury made him scared to stay in position and make the play, He over ran so many plays, or blocked out of the play.
I felt the same...thought the injury made him play hesitant and you can't have that in a LB. Steeler LBs have to play full-out 100 percent...every.single.play.

I think he is a small guy and without explosive speed he is ******. About 15 months after injury he will either be back or done.

Never liked this pick.
He cant leave soon enough -do we have to keep him another year ?
Just not physical enough and poor field awareness.

Last edited:
Wow! This sets us back if Bushy crashes and burns this season. Could have stayed put at 20 that year and got a starter plus the second round pick could have been a starter. And the third round pick the next year maybe a starter today. Holy crap! This one really hurts. I never could see what they saw in this guy. Always seemed to damn small and nowhere near physical enough
They were desperate because to Tomlin’s system that ilb spot is so key in coverage. Shazier’s injury wasn’t something that they had any answer for

To tell you the truth ilb has been a jinxed position for us of late… several extremely promising guys have been waylaid by injury that they never really recovered from. Shazier is obvious but sean spence was looking great that preseason that he got his leg blown up… he almost lost it and had nerve damage and was never the same guy…

Stevenson Sylvester also was injury prone with horrible luck.. do you remember the play where Shamarko Thomas tripped one of our guys into his lower leg just as he looked to be turning a corner?

Yeah we can draft or find those vince Williams/ larry foote types, but that undersized coverage guy is just not something we have any luck with.

Maybe buddy Johnson year 2.0 will be a stud?

His subpar play did not warrant the 5th year. Teams run right at him, knowing he avoids contact. I don't want him to play this year. We will get gashed up the middle just like last year. If Buddy Johnson doesn't show us any fire we are in trouble.

Burns, Edmunds, Bush all reaches fingers crossed Pickett does not fall in that category

He needs a psychologist more than anything, the guy needs to get that competitive edge back

Man. The guy was coming off an ACL. It is common knowledge that it takes a year to really come back from that. Also, the DL was a mess last year. You draft a guy like that with the expectation that the DL will keep blockers off of him, and it didn't happen last year.

Look, he has to play better and I would argue that the Steelers declining has to do with play as well as the things we don't see behind the scenes. Maybe he is immature and all that. But I think he deserves a chance from fans to see if last year was a fluke.

If Bush gets back to form this year, they will either tag him or DJ and then try to sign them long-term. Right now, it makes no sense to give him a guaranteed $10 million+ 5th year.

If Bush gets back to form this year, they will either tag him or DJ and then try to sign them long-term. Right now, it makes no sense to give him a guaranteed $10 million+ 5th year.
I agree. It is the ripping on the kid that I object to. Give him a chance to see if he can improve, being that he had that injury.

Don't get this,Bush was useless last year, almost loke the injury made him scared to stay in position and make the play, He over ran so many plays, or blocked out of the play.

You forgot about the "just standing there" out of the play as well.

I think it's the right decision by not picking up the 5th year. Could be setting up a "Edmunds" type move.

Salute the nation

I agree. It is the ripping on the kid that I object to. Give him a chance to see if he can improve, being that he had that injury.

Im all for a chance because of injury. But damn the kid has shown NOTHING , No heart , no love for the game etc. . I thought in the NFL with the NFL PA etc. , that they dont put injured players back out on the field. He cant keep this injury excuse. He played all last season. Have you guys seen his workout video he posted. running cones shirtless.? Hell Tombert probably saw his conditioning and said ,, "**** this".

If Pickett fails to become a legitimate starter and get a 2nd contract here, Tomlin will be fired and Colbert's legacy will be 4 out of his last 5 first round picks flamed out.

We all know we are in a rebuilding mode now around a new QB. It starts now. Either we show something exciting and promising (even when we lose, which we will), or we don't. This is the new house that Tombert built. It's all on them. Art Rooney II has been almost completely hands off, more worried about other things for all I see.

When we have a losing season this year, I am curious how much the new GM will clean house. I've always considered Colbert more of a yes-man, he has clout is his big board creation, but he defers a lot to who the head coach wants to pick. So I sort of think these are "Tomlin's players" more than Colbert's.

I like Pickett. I think we should give him every opportunity to start this season and really start the evaluation and sink-or-swim process sooner rather than later. It's not like Pickett is a junior or 21 years old. The "kid" will be 24 in camp. He has to start soon.

This is why I didn’t like the trade up. That year was a deep draft and there was a lot of talent left after the first round - Debo Samuel, Miles Sanders, DK Metcalf.

Bush was not a difference maker in college and was bad against the pass,same in the pros reaching for a short, small LB with bad instincts and no physicality is a Tomlin staple Just wished they would both move on.

Last edited:
If Pickett fails to become a legitimate starter and get a 2nd contract here, Tomlin will be fired and Colbert's legacy will be 4 out of his last 5 first round picks flamed out.

We all know we are in a rebuilding mode now around a new QB. It starts now. Either we show something exciting and promising (even when we lose, which we will), or we don't. This is the new house that Tombert built. It's all on them. Art Rooney II has been almost completely hands off, more worried about other things for all I see.

When we have a losing season this year, I am curious how much the new GM will clean house. I've always considered Colbert more of a yes-man, he has clout is his big board creation, but he defers a lot to who the head coach wants to pick. So I sort of think these are "Tomlin's players" more than Colbert's.

I like Pickett. I think we should give him every opportunity to start this season and really start the evaluation and sink-or-swim process sooner rather than later. It's not like Pickett is a junior or 21 years old. The "kid" will be 24 in camp. He has to start soon.

Great Post deljzc

I'm kind-a in the sam3e boat but Pickett has to be the clear better QB. I start the better of the two and hang my hat on that process, sink or swim.

I hope like helll the new GM is outside hire and fresh ideas.

As for Coach Tomlin being fired................................. we will see as he's been overly protected to the point of this team stinks from lackadaisical.

Salute the nation