• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Have Declined Devin Bush’s 5th Year Option; He Will Be A FA Next Year

We knew this was coming. I would have preferred taking Chenal in the 3rd to take over the Mack position.

Im all for a chance because of injury. But damn the kid has shown NOTHING , No heart , no love for the game etc. . I thought in the NFL with the NFL PA etc. , that they dont put injured players back out on the field. He cant keep this injury excuse. He played all last season. Have you guys seen his workout video he posted. running cones shirtless.? Hell Tombert probably saw his conditioning and said ,, "**** this".
Don't judge appearance. Some guys don't get all cut. Maybe Bush is one of those. Marshall Faulk comes to mind. Now before you get your panties all knotted up, I'm not comparing him to a Marshall Faulk, I'm just saying some guys don't get all cut, so they could be in a lot better condition then they look.

If they can find a way to shave Bush's salary, he might have a few more years left in the Burgh, but unless he picks up his game significantly, I have no problem seeing him fly in after the stop for some other team.
My gut feeling even after year one was there was no way this guy would ever sign a second contract with us. For some reason I could never connect with him. From reading his tweets,to watching his lazy play on the field. I really feel his heart was never in it(at least so far) for the Steelers. I think he’d rather be playing elsewhere.

My gut feeling even after year one was there was no way this guy would ever sign a second contract with us. For some reason I could never connect with him. From reading his tweets,to watching his lazy play on the field. I really feel his heart was never in it(at least so far) for the Steelers. I think he’d rather be playing elsewhere.

Unfortunatey injury and weak coaching has gotten him to where he is. Can he turn it around.......... YES and I hope for that to happen big time. Should it not happen then definately cut bait and let him go.

Should he get the turn-around to happen then obviously his stock rises but to what degree. He's to small / not aggressive enough / shell shocked so what value would that translate to?

A very good question for next year and a very wise decision to NOT pick up the 5th year option.

Salute the nation

Good. Playing for your money is a good incentive. Unless Austin and Flores can work a miracle I don’t see him being better than last year.

Yep. I am all for not picking up the option. Don't write him off, though. Give him a chance to work on football this offseason, not mostly rehab/recovery. Hope he plays well. they are going to need it.

I've always wondered when people are so critical of a player, many times they didn't agree with the acquisition of said player. So the question is, do you root against the player to be proven right?

Let’s face it here boys, this was a terrible pick for us in light of what we gave up to get this guy. It’s one thing to pick a bust like Uncle Jarvis, but to up and sell your 2nd round pick and the following years 3rd round pick truly sucks.

You forgot about the "just standing there" out of the play as well.

I think it's the right decision by not picking up the 5th year. Could be setting up a "Edmunds" type move.

Salute the nation
Yes it wasn't just bad D line play. There were plays where he would see the runner coming toward him and instead of attacking the runner he would look for a blocker to engage...it was bizzare and I think the coaches saw it and knew he was trying to keep the paychecks rolling in and not do any work. Let him walk....and make him crawl back...see if he wants to play ball then.

I thought he would be a good player - gotta admit I liked the pick, what he showed in college, and the flash he showed his rookie year. Then injuries, playing like a wuss, and I was done with him. If there was no salary cap hit, he would be done if he did not light it up in camp.

As for Coach Tomlin being fired.................................

hahaha - yha, ok. The person who has more job security than any other man in the NFL.

Tomlin can go 0-17 five seasons in a row and still not have to worry about losing his job.

You'll see Belichick get canned before Tomlin.

hahaha - yha, ok. The person who has more job security than any other man in the NFL.

Tomlin can go 0-17 five seasons in a row and still not have to worry about losing his job.

You'll see Belichick get canned before Tomlin.

Instead of only taking part of my post and making it look like it is stupid, read the entire post and the context it is written. You just make yourself look foolish by jumping on just a small portion of a post, you planning on joining BoB for supper ?

Salute the nation

Great Post deljzc

I'm kind-a in the sam3e boat but Pickett has to be the clear better QB. I start the better of the two and hang my hat on that process, sink or swim.

I hope like helll the new GM is outside hire and fresh ideas.

As for Coach Tomlin being fired................................. we will see as he's been overly protected to the point of this team stinks from lackadaisical.

Salute the nation

This was in response to deljzc saying tomlin needs to be fired.

I'm not sure if the theif dude can comprehend what is actually being said but here is some clarity.

Salute the nation

Instead of only taking part of my post and making it look like it is stupid, read the entire post and the context it is written. You just make yourself look foolish by jumping on just a small portion of a post, you planning on joining BoB for supper ?

Salute the nation
Wasn't meant as a criticism of you bro. Chill pill time.

Wasn't meant as a criticism of you bro. Chill pill time.

No worries on my behalf but make sure you read the entire directions before you go taking those pills.................................... LoL

Salute the nation

This is clearly the first year in the long time that I feel we are behind the division talent-wise. The lack of our recent 1st round picks becoming 2nd contract cornerstones (except for Watt), the clear 4th best QB in the division, arguably weakest in the trenches.... all indicate we are in re-building mode, whether Tomlin wants to admit it or not.

Now, I fully admit Tomlin has traditionally done well as the "underdog" and when the ego of the team is kept in check, they seem to do well. If anything our failures are more a fact of believing we are better than we really are, not addressing weaknesses honestly, and letting the players get ahead of themselves/lack of focus in the short term and vs. bad teams.

I still think this league is about the horses and not so much about the coaching (which is uniformly kind of below average in my opinion). There are exceptions to that rule, but other than Belichick, it's hard to find because turnover is so commonplace.

I've watched 3-4 full game tapes of Pickett and I really like what I see. He reminds me a lot of Joe Burrow. And I'm much happier we picked Joe Burrow Jr. rather than Lamar Jackson Jr. (Willis). That said, the small hands, glove use and fumble issues are real. There is no escaping that. He needs the gloves to be effective and in certain extreme weather, that could be a real problem. There's a big difference in weather in Pittsburgh between November (the latest he played at Pitt) and January (when he will play home playoff games for the Steelers). Any reasonable person knows this to be true.

All we can hope is that he learns to compete with that weakness and finds ways to play effectively. The technology of gloves is much better today than even 10-15 years ago.

I'm excited about the team because the staleness of Colbert-Tomlin-Roethlisberger has finally ended. We desperately needed a change. And now all paths are open towards the future. Even complete failure offers interest in this team because it likely leads to a new coach (picked by a new GM).

Unlike the past 5 seasons, we are actually kind of like other teams around the league now. And hopefully our positives as an organization outweigh the negatives and we can reassert ourselves as relevant in the league (which I felt we weren't for a long time). It might take time, but as a fan of this organization for a long time, I think it's possible.

IMO, Spillane stepped in when BusT tore his ACL and the defense didnt miss a beat.

Let’s face it here boys, this was a terrible pick for us in light of what we gave up to get this guy. It’s one thing to pick a bust like Uncle Jarvis, but to up and sell your 2nd round pick and the following years 3rd round pick truly sucks.
Every year teams do this. They give up way more to move up and grab guys that turn out to be busts. It simply was our turn...unfortunately.

This is clearly the first year in the long time that I feel we are behind the division talent-wise. The lack of our recent 1st round picks becoming 2nd contract cornerstones (except for Watt), the clear 4th best QB in the division, arguably weakest in the trenches.... all indicate we are in re-building mode, whether Tomlin wants to admit it or not.

Now, I fully admit Tomlin has traditionally done well as the "underdog" and when the ego of the team is kept in check, they seem to do well. If anything our failures are more a fact of believing we are better than we really are, not addressing weaknesses honestly, and letting the players get ahead of themselves/lack of focus in the short term and vs. bad teams.

I still think this league is about the horses and not so much about the coaching (which is uniformly kind of below average in my opinion). There are exceptions to that rule, but other than Belichick, it's hard to find because turnover is so commonplace.

I've watched 3-4 full game tapes of Pickett and I really like what I see. He reminds me a lot of Joe Burrow. And I'm much happier we picked Joe Burrow Jr. rather than Lamar Jackson Jr. (Willis). That said, the small hands, glove use and fumble issues are real. There is no escaping that. He needs the gloves to be effective and in certain extreme weather, that could be a real problem. There's a big difference in weather in Pittsburgh between November (the latest he played at Pitt) and January (when he will play home playoff games for the Steelers). Any reasonable person knows this to be true.

All we can hope is that he learns to compete with that weakness and finds ways to play effectively. The technology of gloves is much better today than even 10-15 years ago.

I'm excited about the team because the staleness of Colbert-Tomlin-Roethlisberger has finally ended. We desperately needed a change. And now all paths are open towards the future. Even complete failure offers interest in this team because it likely leads to a new coach (picked by a new GM).

Unlike the past 5 seasons, we are actually kind of like other teams around the league now. And hopefully our positives as an organization outweigh the negatives and we can reassert ourselves as relevant in the league (which I felt we weren't for a long time). It might take time, but as a fan of this organization for a long time, I think it's possible.

EXCELLENT POST

thank you

Salute the nation

Bush was recently seen running the wrong way across the field..

Bush was recently seen running the wrong way across the field..

Must have been the "Field of Dreams" baseball field because BUSH don't run on football fields...................................

Salute the nation

Must have been the "Field of Dreams" baseball field because BUSH don't run on football fields...................................

Salute the nation
What you never saw that lingerie league? Last year I could have swore Bush signed up for it. He played like a girl.😁