• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Select South Dakota State QB Chris Oladokun

I dont like taking another QB, just seems a waste of a pick even though it is the 7th round. I know they wanted 4 QBs and he would be a cheap camp body, but I think we could have got someone that could provided better contribution. I also dont understand the Heyward pick. I personally think we way underutilize the FB, but we already have Watt. I dont see us keeping Watt and Heyward so I guess we drafted Cam's brother to kick TJ's brother off the team.

I dont like taking another QB, just seems a waste of a pick even though it is the 7th round. I know they wanted 4 QBs and he would be a cheap camp body, but I think we could have got someone that could provided better contribution. I also dont understand the Heyward pick. I personally think we way underutilize the FB, but we already have Watt. I dont see us keeping Watt and Heyward so I guess we drafted Cam's brother to kick TJ's brother off the team.
I don't think they drafted Heyward to kick Watt off the team. I think they plan on both being STs contributers. More than that he will have to earn. Not crazy to think he ends up on the PS either. We see that enough.

Probably my least favorite pick of the draft but I figured they would make this pick. I think he could have been easily a 7th as well.

We will see how it shakes out.

So why did they draft the QB in the 7th?
Look it was expected by a lot of us. This draft had at least a half dozen super sleeper prospects in it… like it really wont surprise me if several udfas turn into at least backups this season

The Steelers needed a prospect because mason is not going to be here past this season… if this kid does well he will be a cheaper option than mason as qb3… if he doesn’t then he can be the practice squad qb…

They used a draft pick rather than trying to get him as a udfa because he was on a ton of sleeper lists and he might have opted to go elsewhere or been drafted by another team…

Unfortunately the moment Haskins tragedy happened the likelihood of two drafted qbs went through the roof

They have bad picks every year. And it still might be one of them. Doesn't change their approach. Didn't this year, last year, the year before that.

Not like I didn't list Walker in another thread I did as a list of availables. I just know this team is set in their ways for better or worse. That is why I understand the pick, as I knew what they wanted and knew they were going to attack it like they wanted to fulfill that want.

They have a blueprint they follow. Which is one reason I said before the draft it would be good in some ways for Colbert to retire. To see a fresh approach.
I understand they like 4 camp arms, but for them to think that QB has the chance to help our team more than say Walker ...to me is simply crazy.

He won’t just be a camp arm though.. at minimum he ends up on the practice squad… if an injury happens or he plays well enough to trade mason that will happen…

Look it was expected by a lot of us. This draft had at least a half dozen super sleeper prospects in it… like it really wont surprise me if several udfas turn into at least backups this season

The Steelers needed a prospect because mason is not going to be here past this season… if this kid does well he will be a cheaper option than mason as qb3… if he doesn’t then he can be the practice squad qb…

They used a draft pick rather than trying to get him as a udfa because he was on a ton of sleeper lists and he might have opted to go elsewhere or been drafted by another team…

Unfortunately the moment Haskins tragedy happened the likelihood of two drafted qbs went through the roof
I simply see more upside with say Walker helping our team long term than this QB who will be our 4th arm and "might" make our PS. Seeing how thin we are at OL and the 4th arm on a team is a dime a dozen.....a crazy pick in my opinion.

I understand they like 4 camp arms, but for them to think that QB has the chance to help our team more than say Walker ...to me is simply crazy.
I am not even sure they looked who was on the board in the 7th come the pick.

They glued to their predraft QB wish list.

He won’t just be a camp arm though.. at minimum he ends up on the practice squad… if an injury happens or he plays well enough to trade mason that will happen…
It could happen definitely. When Cousins was originally drafted I am thinking he was their second want/selection.

Maybe something about him they think sticks.

It could be Mitch leaving also...

It could be Mitch leaving also...
Probably the least likely scenario. At least this year and probably next year too. His contract is friendly so losing a start at some point wouldn't necessitate a move.

He had already showed knowing how to act in that scenario as well.

Per Twitter
Ellwood Davis
don’t understand why the Steelers didn’t draft Rasheed Walker, (OT) from Penn State?
    Steeler Fanatic Ellwood Davis
  • 2 hours ago edited
    Because he is not NFL quality. He should have stayed in school. Never got better… tech and effort uneven. Glad they passed and I am a PSU guy.

I can't say I'm encouraged about the Steelers drafting a guy who was the third choice at quarterback (honorable mention) for the Missouri Valley Football All-Conference team.

I can't say I'm encouraged about the Steelers drafting a guy who was the third choice at quarterback (honorable mention) for the Missouri Valley Football All-Conference team.
Definitely made me wonder why him. So when looking around I found a few things that might shed some light. Apparently he and DJ played against each other at one point and even works out at the same gym as him. As in they have known each other for quite some time.

I don't know if this weighed in on why they drafted him but maybe it lends a reason for initial interest prior to the draft.

As I statistically dug I saw he had a few TD catches as well as runs. Maybe a poor man's slash mixed in with some Dobbs.

He still might be training camp fodder. But perhaps he Duck's his way to the practice squad....