• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

This should cause some convo

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...lin-finishes-ninth-head-coach-power-rankings/

The article is pretty spot on. he's had success, he's had some difficulties as well. I think it's odd though that in the 3 years they've missed the playoffs, the team has posted 6-2, 6-3 stretches before injuries or after. I'm not sure if that's good or bad coaching or somewhere in between. It does prove at some point, the team comes together.

Still waiting for the reason referenced at the end of the article.

Whiz at 20? He took the Cards to the big game... I think that says a whole lot more than getting the Steelers there.

Whiz at 20? He took the Cards to the big game... I think that says a whole lot more than getting the Steelers there.

Truer words have not been spoken.

And if it hadn't been for a ****** division that year, they might not have even made the playoffs. They were 9-7 that year, and just happened to hit a groove (and some easy opponents) on their way to the Super Bowl. They also bombed the following year, and the year after. Whiz only has that ONE year.

And if it hadn't been for a ****** division that year, they might not have even made the playoffs. They were 9-7 that year, and just happened to hit a groove (and some easy opponents) on their way to the Super Bowl. They also bombed the following year, and the year after. Whiz only has that ONE year.

Getting the Cardinals to the Super Bowl is almost like getting the Browns there.

How do you figure?

See the Cardinals almost won because of good coaching. Because Whiz outcoached Tomlin in that game. The Steelers were able to win in spite of the coaching because of the players.

Got it?

Well since the superbowl the cards have had no QBs. You can win without scoring in todays nfl and without something resembling an NFL QB you are not going to get wins.

See the Cardinals almost won because of good coaching. Because Whiz outcoached Tomlin in that game. The Steelers were able to win in spite of the coaching because of the players.

Got it?

How do you conclude that he was 'out coached'?

Well since the superbowl the cards have had no QBs. You can win without scoring in todays nfl and without something resembling an NFL QB you are not going to get wins.

And who's fault is that? They avoided drafting anyone before the 6th round, and went after back up QB's from other teams to be their starters. Whiz had opportunities to get a QB, he passed on them. Instead going with the likes of Jon Skelton.

I like Whiz as a coach, but I think he lost that Super Bowl by wasting far too much time trying to establish the run (which was completely futile against our D). Had he just opened up the offense from the start of the game, it might have been a different outcome. Arizona was a terrible running offense that year, but by the very end of the season they had improved a lot with Edge James as the main back. But to think they could run on our D was absurd.

The Cards fell apart because they lost Kurt Warner and Anquan Bolden. They traded for Kevin Kolb but then he kept getting injured and they had nobody.

Arians got credit for some massive turnaround but all they did was add veteran QB Carson Palmer to the good roster Whiz left behind. Carson Palmer and Michael Floyd emerging in year 2 is why the Cards were good again last year.

Whiz inherited a team that had 8 straight losing seasons. He inherited garbage. He signed Kurt Warner who was seen as washed up and had the Cards in the Super Bowl in his second year.

Whiz is the winningest coach in Cardinals history with 45 wins. That lets you know what garbage that franchise was when he arrived.

The Cards fell apart because they lost Kurt Warner and Anquan Bolden. They traded for Kevin Kolb but then he kept getting injured and they had nobody.

Arians got credit for some massive turnaround but all they did was add veteran QB Carson Palmer to the good roster Whiz left behind. Carson Palmer and Michael Floyd emerging in year 2 is why the Cards were good again last year.

Whiz inherited a team that had 8 straight losing seasons. He inherited garbage. He signed Kurt Warner who was seen as washed up and had the Cards in the Super Bowl in his second year.

Whiz is the winningest coach in Cardinals history with 45 wins. That lets you know what garbage that franchise was when he arrived.

9-7 and they had the division in hand almost by mid season. Kolb wasn't the only QB they tried, and as I said they never tried to draft anyone before the 6th round. Kolb also sucked before he got injured. It was the wrong system for him. I'll give Whiz credit for what he's done, but he's ranked at 20 on the list for a reason and I really don't see the argument there. But Tas just has a hard on for anything anti-Tomlin.

I like Whiz as a coach, but I think he lost that Super Bowl by wasting far too much time trying to establish the run (which was completely futile against our D). Had he just opened up the offense from the start of the game, it might have been a different outcome. Arizona was a terrible running offense that year, but by the very end of the season they had improved a lot with Edge James as the main back. But to think they could run on our D was absurd.

They only rushed 12 times the entire game. Of those 12 rushes one was a Warner scramble that just got back to the LOS. So they had 11 carries by the RBs. James had 9 carries. 4 of those were in the 2nd half. They passed 43 times. The Steelers won because the Cardinals had a perfect play called for a TD, which was a pass, and Harrison didn't do what he was suppose to do. He dropped back and took it 100 yards.

The reason they tried to run on their first series is because the Steelers just had a long drive and scored a FG. So they ran 3 whole times in their first 6 plays. From then on it is almost pass only. That first series did not cost them the game. Whiz hardly wasted any time passing. He sure didn't lose because of one series that garnered a 1st down and gave his defense a few minutes to rest.

Getting the Cardinals to the Super Bowl is almost like getting the Browns there.

No it was not. The Cards had:

1. Prove QB - a SB winning QB
2. Two excellent WR's to go with that above average QB
3. A better than average D

The Browns you speak of, that year, did not have those qualities - and they still don't.

You're spewing hate again...

9-7 and they had the division in hand almost by mid season. Kolb wasn't the only QB they tried, and as I said they never tried to draft anyone before the 6th round. Kolb also sucked before he got injured. It was the wrong system for him. I'll give Whiz credit for what he's done, but he's ranked at 20 on the list for a reason and I really don't see the argument there. But Tas just has a hard on for anything anti-Tomlin.

After Warner retired, they brought in Derek Anderson who had been a pro bowl QB. The next year they trad for Kolb who looked good in limited starts in Philly. Kolb got injured and only started 14 games in 2 seasons. Then Whiz was fired. He deserved the chance to bring in another QB and rebuild which i'm sure he would have done if he wasn't fired.

Whiz took a loser franchise and changed the whole culture. He got that city to actually care about the Cardinals. The same team that signed washed up Emmitt Smith just so they could sell tickets to Cowboy fans.

Whiz should be higher.

They only rushed 12 times the entire game. Of those 12 rushes one was a Warner scramble that just got back to the LOS. So they had 11 carries by the RBs. James had 9 carries. 4 of those were in the 2nd half. They passed 43 times. The Steelers won because the Cardinals had a perfect play called for a TD, which was a pass, and Harrison didn't do what he was suppose to do. He dropped back and took it 100 yards.

The reason they tried to run on their first series is because the Steelers just had a long drive and scored a FG. So they ran 3 whole times in their first 6 plays. From then on it is almost pass only. That first series did not cost them the game. Whiz hardly wasted any time passing. He sure didn't lose because of one series that garnered a 1st down and gave his defense a few minutes to rest.

Ah yes being hit between the eyes with facts again. There are still folks that do not think there is a difference between taking the cards and a team one year removed from winning the super bowl to the big game.

The only coaching mistake I took from that SB was the inaction to review Fitz's first TD that HIT THE GROUND....

. But Tas just has a hard on for anything anti-Tomlin.

Where did I mention coach stupid?

No it was not. The Cards had:

1. Prove QB - a SB winning QB
2. Two excellent WR's to go with that above average QB
3. A better than average D

The Browns you speak of, that year, did not have those qualities - and they still don't.

You're spewing hate again...

This just proves you will argue with anything. Go look at the Cardinals and Browns Super Bowl records. Both of those teams know how to lose with the best of them.

You didn't have to mention him by name, but saying that it was more impressive than taking the Steelers to the Super Bowl pretty much spells it out... even tho Tomlin has done that TWICE.