• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three Lucky (and Unlucky) Steelers Numbers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My old man used to tell me that luck is where unexpected opportunity meets the level of preparation. Then there are those classic songs that ask Luck to be a lady. Well, if Pittsburgh Steelers fans have asked for Luck to be a lady lately, it hasn’t helped in the postseason. And let’s not discuss opportunity’s preparation. With the spirit of St Patrick’s Day comes all of the good luck symbols we’ll sport: four-leaf shamrocks, horseshoes, beef briskets, and just the color green—among other traditions!

Today, we’re going to look at a few numbers that play a telling tale in the history of Steelers seasons when it matters most: the postseason. I forewarn, some joyful and painful memories lie ahead as we divulge in the luck of the numbers for the Steelers.

Greene-Harris-300x199.jpg

Dec 2, 2018; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Former Pittsburgh Steelers players “Mean” Joe Greene (left) and Franco Harris talk on the sidelines before the Steelers and San Diego Chargers game at Heinz Field. The Super Bowl XIII team is to be recognized during halftime. Mandatory Credit: Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports

The 30’s

I’m not quite discussing the 1930’s—seeing as the early part of it had prohibition lurking around, we can’t really drink our green beer to that. Instead, I’m talking jersey numbers. You may call it coincidence, or you may be like me and call it good luck. Or fate.

So here it is: The Steelers have never reached the Super Bowl if their Week 1 leading rusher wore a number outside of the 30’s. No roaring 20’s or rocking 40’s. Only a number in the 30’s (hint, it’s either been 32, 33, 34, or 39.)

This may seem like a silly superstition… or is the luck of the universe just trying to tell us something? Sure we have had some memorable running back seasons with names like Rocky Bleier, Barry Foster, a little Amos Zereoue, and even most recently Le’Veon Bell. But with the exception of Rocky, all of these guys couldn’t make it to the Super Bowl as a Steeler. Meanwhile, our 30’s saw Franco Harris, Bam Morris, Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker, and Rashard Mendenhall find their way to the Super Bowl when they were lead tailbacks.

So maybe the Steelers need to just forget strategy and just give whoever the next running back is a number in the 30’s! Maybe the Luck of the Universe would be on the Steel City’s side for Ben’s last dance.

Or maybe the offensive line just needs to be rebuilt and we need a less predictable strategy… Nah. I like my idea better (sarcasm.)

defensesteelers-300x210.jpg

When you think 24, depending on your age, you think Ike Taylor or J.T. Thomas. Or if you’re me, you think of how throughout Steelers history how significant this number is…

Defense wins championships. You just watch how the Bucs shut down the Chiefs offense that ultimately was the difference and you were reminded how important it is to have a dominant defense. For the Steelers, the number 24 is especially crucial. Why? Well here are two points that may or may not surprise you.

Since the merger, the Steelers possess a 36-25 record in postseason play. The numbers that stand out in this record:

-The Steelers are 34-8 when their defense allows 24 points or less. That’s quite an incredible record all things considered.

-However, the Steelers are a dismal 2-17 when allowing over 24 points on defense. That is well… gut-wrenching. If you’re wondering, the two wins came in Super Bowl XIII (35-31) and the 2002 Wildcard (36-33) comeback against the Browns.

It’s no mystery that strong defense is important in the postseason. However, seeing that much difference around the number 24 is quite astonishing. The moral of the story? The Steelers just shouldn’t allow more than 24 points. Problem solved, right?

Ben-Roethlisberger-300x201.jpeg

This number is also one that covers an area that is a given: don’t turn the ball over. Specifically, do not throw 3 or more interceptions. Sure the Steelers have had a lot of games with more than 3 turnovers. However, some of those that don’t involve 3+ interceptions actually manage to bounce the Steelers way (see 1978 Oilers AFC Championship and 2004 Jets AFC Divisional games.)

However, of the 11 contests in Steelers’ postseason history where the Steelers QB throws 3 or more interceptions, they have only won 2 of those games—both with Terry Bradshaw at the helm (1975 Raiders AFC Championship and Super Bowl XIV.) Of course, this makes sense to a degree. While you’ve heard the John Madden saying quarterbacks have “short memories” after throwing picks, it still isn’t something easy to mentally overcome. A fumble I believe is a little different from time to time but, hey, let’s just not turn the ball over in general.

Most notably, Ben Roethlisberger has had three of these games in his postseason career. Of those three, only one was a competitive game (2007 Jaguars Wildcard game.) The rest? Well, the 2004 AFC Championship and the most recent loss. We remember clearly how those went, let’s not dwell on it.

The good news is the Steelers are 33-16 when their starting quarterback doesn’t toss 3 or more interceptions—over three times the win percentage over when they do. So while we don’t want turnovers at all, let’s get the good juju on our side and keep the interceptions under 3.

While all of these numbers could be either pure coincidence or just principles of football (play dominant defense and don’t turn it over!) it’s always a treat to dig into the luck of the numbers and see what is in the Steelers’ favor—and what isn’t! As the great Michael Scott said, “I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.” So give me as much luck as possible!

Enjoy your Saint Patrick’s Day, and wear all of your lucky gear as the Steelers approach free agency and the draft.

*Information and Research performed on Pro-Football Reference.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..