• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Throw away pick in round 7. Joshua Frazier.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
If Tate.was such a good pick there, why did 5 other teams pass on him, with the Bengals passing twice becore taking him? They took an undersized QB from Toledo and a Guard before finally taking Tate.

Every team passed on Tate until the 7th round comp pick of the Bengals.

The draft is an inexact science, and pre combine, Tate was projected as day 2 player. His combine numbers were slow. 4.68 for a 6'5" receiver. He didn't hit 10ft on the broad jump. After the combine, he was projected as a day 3 pick, 4-5th round.

I don't know if he has a personal issue that caused him to drop, but his tape doesn't lie. He is slower, but he uses his size, and vert to jump, twist, and create perfect targets for his QB. He's tough and aggressive on contested balls, and he has perfect hand placement.

I don't know a lot about the draft, but I do know WR technique, and I can't fault any of his. There may be a lot of draft analysts that are amazed if he makes something of himself, but I will not be. If he is healthy, and competitive, he will make a roster. If things fall the right way on the roster, he'll get playing time. And if he gets playing time, I believe he will make the plays to stay on the field.

I've already seen him do it on tape.

ark steel

Reaction score

The draft is an inexact science, and pre combine, Tate was projected as day 2 player. His combine numbers were slow. 4.68 for a 6'5" receiver. He didn't hit 10ft on the broad jump. After the combine, he was projected as a day 3 pick, 4-5th round.

I don't know if he has a personal issue that caused him to drop, but his tape doesn't lie. He is slower, but he uses his size, and vert to jump, twist, and create perfect targets for his QB. He's tough and aggressive on contested balls, and he has perfect hand placement.

I don't know a lot about the draft, but I do know WR technique, and I can't fault any of his. There may be a lot of draft analysts that are amazed if he makes something of himself, but I will not be. If he is healthy, and competitive, he will make a roster. If things fall the right way on the roster, he'll get playing time. And if he gets playing time, I believe he will make the plays to stay on the field.

I'm not talking about why the teams passed on him in the first 6 rounds. What im say is that, in the 7th, after we picked, 5 more teams passed on him. Again.

The Bengals didnt think so little of him that they would have rather taken an undersized QB and a G before, finally, picking Tate.

This is not making any judgment of Tate on my part, but, maybe, those who thought he was a day 2 talent were wrong? Maybe, they were right and the Bengals got a steal in the 7th

The real point is, we took a player that the coaches had more faith in. Considering his college coach is on our team, there may be some extra insight involved. Maybe, we could have gotten him as udfa. I think i saw only 2 defensive players picked after. Maybe we dont.

If Tate was, really, that much better of a prospect, in general, he wouldn't even have been available, much less passed on several times AFTER our pick and twice by the team that, finally, settled on him.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Reality is that they have picked one player in the last 15 years of significance in round 7. Brett Keisel. This kid has the same chance of being an important player as anyone else they could have taken. Very little.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Odds are against him sure. As his speed probably won't improve. But I liked the tape on him as well.

Wouldn't shock me if he failed or made it.

But he has a good chance IMO to make it.

But that is why they put on the pads.

From Tate all the way up to the number one pick, this drafts rankings were all over the place. Shows me this class had little top elite talent, and a lot of depth.

Look forward to seeing the picks on the field, and will continue watching Tate as well. And wish him well, just not when it comes to playing the Steelers.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Reality is that they have picked one player in the last 15 years of significance in round 7. Brett Keisel. This kid has the same chance of being an important player as anyone else they could have taken. Very little.

So what you are telling me there is a chance then.

:lock1:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not talking about why the teams passed on him in the first 6 rounds. What im say is that, in the 7th, after we picked, 5 more teams passed on him. Again.

The Bengals didnt think so little of him that they would have rather taken an undersized QB and a G before, finally, picking Tate.

This is not making any judgment of Tate on my part, but, maybe, those who thought he was a day 2 talent were wrong? Maybe, they were right and the Bengals got a steal in the 7th

The real point is, we took a player that the coaches had more faith in. Considering his college coach is on our team, there may be some extra insight involved. Maybe, we could have gotten him as udfa. I think i saw only 2 defensive players picked after. Maybe we dont.

If Tate was, really, that much better of a prospect, in general, he wouldn't even have been available, much less passed on several times AFTER our pick and twice by the team that, finally, settled on him.

I don't know Ark. I'm not a GM and I don't understand the draft process from the room itself. The only thing I can say, is that the Bengals felt high enough about Tate that they didn't want him to become a UDFA, and made sure to retain his rights. I wish we did, because I liked his film.

I only see 1 D player taken after our pick. He was a starter. I only know our player wasn't a starter, and if you don't start in college, you rarely get drafted.

Similarly the Bengals made sure to target Burfict as a UDFA, the year of his draft. He had first round talent, but his off field and on field issues made him undraftable. Bengals took a flyer on him and got a steal with the talent level received from an undrafted player.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

So basically is an slot TE more than a WR

Sent from my [device_name] using Steeler Nation mobile app

Chiba

Reaction score
Arkansas is a long way from Pit. Maybe he would have wanted to sign with a closer team as an UDFA? Maybe his ex coach knew that to get him, they would have to spend a pick on him? No, I don't know anything. Just not dealing in absolutes.

ark steel

Reaction score
I don't know Ark. I'm not a GM and I don't understand the draft process from the room itself. The only thing I can say, is that the Bengals felt high enough about Tate that they didn't want him to become a UDFA, and made sure to retain his rights. I wish we did, because I liked his film.

I only see 1 D player taken after our pick. He was a starter. I only know our player wasn't a starter, and if you don't start in college, you rarely get drafted.

Similarly the Bengals made sure to target Burfict as a UDFA, the year of his draft. He had first round talent, but his off field and on field issues made him undraftable. Bengals took a flyer on him and got a steal with the talent level received from an undrafted player.

Had to have been something other than the 40, that made him drop, IMO. And we don't know what that was. You may be right about Tates talent. Considering where he is now, i hope he fails miserably......

OTOH, the people that were in front Feazier, im told, are, really, the ones that made Evans a 1st round draft pick,so, not being a starter doesnt bother me. Not like he was sitting behind crap talent.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
per depot

so much for the theory Steelers could have gotten Frazier as a UDFA because of the coaching ties.
“I was calm. I wasn’t mad,” Frazier said of his demeanor as he watched others being selected ahead of him. “I was texting with coaches from other teams [Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens] who were telling me to be patient and how they wanted me. I would’ve signed with Detroit [as a free agent] had Pittsburgh not taken me.”

Last edited:

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
per depot

so much for the theory Steelers could have gotten Frazier as a UDFA because of the coaching ties.

I kept looking and found out he has a coach there with Detroit too, coach Bo Davis.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

We wouldn't have gotten Frazier as a free agent, he would have went to Detroit. The thought process was that because of our new coach from Bama he would have been available as a UDFA. But Frazier cleared that up saying he would have went to Detroit who has a ex-Bama coach as well.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

I have acquaintances with a couple of Fla St. Alumni, who are close with the football program there. They commented that Tate was a good kid, really no off field issues that stands out for a guy his age in Tallahassee, but the reason for his free fall during the draft was probably attributed to his interviews during the combine. He apparently for some teams had a poor understanding of offensive schemes or diagnosing plays for his position. He made plays purely on athletic talent alone in college, but his understanding of his position responsibility as the issue. Really don't understand that issue, since he has played 3 years in ACC ball. Yes his 40 time was poor, but he caught everything during the field drills. Personally, I felt he would be awesome in the red zone, as he has a huge catch radius and an underappreciated way of using his body to block DBs during contested catches. I could care less about his speed in the redzone.

Really hoping Bengals try to sneak him on the PS, and allow us to sign him.

ark steel

Reaction score
We wouldn't have gotten Frazier as a free agent, he would have went to Detroit. The thought process was that because of our new coach from Bama he would have been available as a UDFA. But Frazier cleared that up saying he would have went to Detroit who has a ex-Bama coach as well.

I meant "huh" as in "how bout dah" rather than "what did you say"...