• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Time to Rank where Kenny Pickett Belongs in the Steeler's All-Time QB List

VICK is an ALL-TIME great...Just not with the Steelers...
Vick was a shell of what he was with the Steelers. I wouldn't use that comparison.

Vick was a shell of what he was with the Steelers. I wouldn't use that comparison.
??? That was my point....he played in 5 games and had 371 yards in his Steeler career. He was BB's back-up only

But he did put on a show in the only Steeler game I've ever been to in SD in the 3rd & 4th Quarter...Then instead of going for the game tying FG with 0:05 seconds left they ran the Wildcat to Bell who got in for the game winner...

All the Charger fans who heckled me for 4 Quarters were gone when I looked up...Great day

Joe Gilliam.
Noll screwed up when he benched him. (j/K}
Actually, he could have been good. Gilliam like Bradshaw called his own plays. The story I heard somewhere was that Gilliam called too many passing plays. Noll couldn't break him from that, so he benched him. Don't know how true that is.

I know a lot of people are unfairly comparing KP to Big Ben, as BB was special and a winner out of the box. KP is good in the 4th quarter and in ball control, so he has value, but where does he rank for me all time on the Steeler's All-Time list of QBs?

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Bobby Layne
5. Neil O'Donnell
6. Tommy Maddox
7. Bubby Brister
8. Kenny Pickett
9. Mike Tomczak
10. Ed Brown

Obviously room for KP to move up, but as we stand today, he is solidly 8th in my book. Everyone above him won in the playoffs (minus Layne who is a HOFer, though he won 3 championships with the Lions and made it to 4). If he wins a playoff game this year, he'd jump to 6th. Has to make it to a SB to crack the top 5.

Where does KP rank on your scale? Unitas is not eligible since he never played a down for us.
NUMBER ....ONE!!!!!! ;)

How can you rank the guy in the top 10 when he hasn't even played or won a playoff game yet?

A lot of playoff appearances and Super Bowl wins on that list and all Kenny has is 3/4 of a winning season under his belt.
Well, it is a message board after all. Also, you are comparing Pickett to date vs others' entire careers...but yeah.....besides all of that, I agree 100% with you.

right now Kenny looks about like Batch on his good days and Tomczak on the other days

The Steeler QB list all time for me looks something like
1A) Bradshaw
1B) Big Ben

everyone else INCOMPLETE-where KP falls

Honorable mention to worst ever Neil O'Donnell

I add more significance in rankings to the weighty games, obviously
Really?

I know a lot of people are unfairly comparing KP to Big Ben, as BB was special and a winner out of the box. KP is good in the 4th quarter and in ball control, so he has value, but where does he rank for me all time on the Steeler's All-Time list of QBs?

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Bobby Layne
5. Neil O'Donnell
6. Tommy Maddox
7. Bubby Brister
8. Kenny Pickett
9. Mike Tomczak
10. Ed Brown

Obviously room for KP to move up, but as we stand today, he is solidly 8th in my book. Everyone above him won in the playoffs (minus Layne who is a HOFer, though he won 3 championships with the Lions and made it to 4). If he wins a playoff game this year, he'd jump to 6th. Has to make it to a SB to crack the top 5.

Where does KP rank on your scale? Unitas is not eligible since he never played a down for us.
After a season and a half?
No dude it is not time to rate him yet. This is like bad clickbait.

How can you rank the guy in the top 10 when he hasn't even played or won a playoff game yet?

A lot of playoff appearances and Super Bowl wins on that list and all Kenny has is 3/4 of a winning season under his belt.
Brown never won a playoff game and FYI, we didn't win any playoff games before 1971, so it's tough to find 10 playoff winners in Steeler history. By yardage Kenny is already 13th, and I gave my reasons for putting him above a few of them above since they all had terrible records as starters.

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Bobby Layne
5. Neil O'Donnell
6. Tommy Maddox
7. Bubby Brister
8. Kenny Pickett
9. Mike Tomczak
10. Ed Brown

First, this is on par with a Coach post to try to rank Kenny after 21 games played, this is one reason why I hardly post here anymore. But, if you are going to rank him at this time in his career, then you have to rank everyone on that list after the same amount of games. If that is the case he is squarely at #2, because only Ben had a better start after 21 games and it not by as wide a margin as you might think. Who knows if he gets it, but I can point to quite a few HOF qbs that have looked far worse than Kenny there first couple seasons, and that includes Terry Bradshaw. Brad didn't put it fully together until his 6 or 7 year:

YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSQBrecCmpAttCmp%YdsTDTD%IntInt%LngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAVAwards
197022PITQB121383-5-08321838.1141062.82411.0876.52.117.0108.530.42524210.34.810.861
197123PITQB1214135-8-020337354.42259133.5225.9496.14.111.1161.459.7332878.14.863.063310
197224PITQB12141411-3-014730847.71887123.9123.9786.15.212.8134.864.1292378.64.904.012314
197325PITQB121098-1-08918049.41183105.6158.3676.63.913.3118.354.52418611.84.892.56017
197426PITQB12875-2-06714845.378574.785.4565.33.811.798.155.2101046.34.312.92

Hate to say it
But I would lay long odds KFP never has a playoff run like Unibrow’s Magical Mystery tour
Flacco's playoff run was the best statistical playoff run of any QB in league history. Absoulutely sickhouse. Double digit TDs 0 INTs. I watch his game vs IND and the game in DEN when he threw the bomb to win the game into our EZ to knock Manning out of the playoffs. Dude balled and was a good QB up until that year.

I said it on the post game show and a few of you mentioned it here on the site. I've moved off of calling KP Tebow and now feel he is more like Dilfer. Game manager, don't turn the ball over, put the team in position to win with a last second FG. Stover was their offensive MVP in 2000 as a kicker IMHO, and Boz is twice the kicker Stover was. This team can do something if they continue to control the ball and start to consistently win TOP with their running game which is starting to become a strength.

And Tomczak did win a playoff game, but he is behind KP because his terrible multi interception performance was masked by our superior running game and 5 rushing TDs to go with KP being a more clutch QB than MT

Look, I don't know "Dick Shiner" or any old school guys like that so I just leave them out, as the game was totally different then any ways. I keep it to the 70's and newer. The biggest question on here is Ben vs. Bradshaw as to who is #1. If you place a heavy amount of the decision on SBs, then you got to go with TB. But if you're gonna place as much emphasis on game-to-game play, Ben winds hands down. Have you ever watched TB's play in a regular game, not just highlights? He was horrible in large stretches, I mean really bad. And not just in his 1st few years, but later. He was inaccurate as hell and had no touch on the ball whatsoever. But if you are just basing it on SB highlights, then, of course, he looks a lot better.

I think, all things considered, Ben was the better QB but there is definitely room for debate. And, although not a great QB by any stretch, Tomczak gets underrated as a general trend.

Ben
Bradshaw
O'Donnell
Maddox (for about 1 year)
Tomczak
Brister (seriously flawed but had his moments)
Kordell (overrated by fans AND staff, (after they paid him the big $ and didn't want to admit the error)
Batch
Leftwich
Malone (sure looked the part but never had "it")
Mason Rudolph
Pickett (too early to seriously list/judge him but as of now, no higher than this, how could he be?)

Trent Dilfer won a SB. Sure the defense dragged him across the finish line, but he still won a SB. I'm not sure our defense is good enough to drag this offense anywhere.

And that D was very special, up there with the '85 Bears and 70's Steelers; that's some rare air. Our D today is NO where NEAR on that level: DL? No. LBs? No. Secondary? No.