• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Today's headlines tell the real story...I think

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm reading my daily dose of sadness when I see these three headlines.

Record 93,626,000 Not in Labor Force
...Without lookin' it up. that sounds about right, I guess.

Then I see...

Unemployment rate drops to 5.3%........Wait, what ? The unemployment rate went down again ?

How does this compute without an obvious slight of hand, especially when the next story is....

Participation Lowest since 1977........I know I'm stupid but evidently someone thinks that the whole Country is as dumb as me. 93.6M into what..350M or so sounds like a lot more than 5% and the "not participating" thing is all people available to work, right ?

Then to add insult to insult I read....

24,816,000 Foreign-Born People Employed.......All I need now is to find out "foreign born" means "non-citizen" and I start digging the bunker a little deeper.

IGIl7NM.jpg

It sucks. I've been out of work since February. Tons of resumes and application sent, had a few interviews, but no offers. It's really discouraging. At this point I'm getting my CDL and looking for trucking jobs.

It sucks. I've been out of work since February. Tons of resumes and application sent, had a few interviews, but no offers. It's really discouraging. At this point I'm getting my CDL and looking for trucking jobs.

I feel for ya DJ but that is one industry that I have some experience in and it's as rough a job as you can think of. The big companies do not like to hire inexperienced drivers because their insurance is already beyond astronomical so the pay and hours have to suffer. Good Luck and maybe try to think of something you can do on your own. My daughter sells Goodwill and garage sale junk she finds on E-Bay and makes some decent money doing it.

I'm reading my daily dose of sadness when I see these three headlines.

POSTSCRIPT;

Today's update......

SSA Can’t Collect Overpayments Without Wasting Money
The Social Security Administration (SSA) spends more money than it collects when trying to recover payments to individuals who received benefits for which they were not eligible.

I'm done, rant over. I'll just get diggin'.

Last edited:
You are reading the wrong headlines.

Donald Trump Pledges To ‘Secure Our Border’ Following San Francisco Pier 14 Fatal Shooting

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Donald Trump reignited the call to secure U.S. borders just hours after federal officials said the man arrested in the shooting death of a San Francisco woman was an undocumented immigrant who had previously been deported five times. CBS San Francisco reached out the Donald Trump presidential campaign who then released this written statement:

“This senseless and totally preventable act of violence committed by an illegal immigrant is yet another example of why we must secure our border immediately."

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...o-pier-14-fatal-shooting-immigration-tourist/

-----------------------------

Preach!

That should help him in the primaries but if he should get to the general election, the Libs and LaRaza would excoriate him.

WASHINGTON — More than half of U.S. citizens believe that most or all of the country's 11 million illegal immigrants should be deported, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday that highlights the difficulties facing lawmakers trying to reform the U.S. immigration system.

The online survey shows resistance to easing immigration laws despite the biggest push for reform in Congress since 2007.

Thirty percent of those polled think that most illegal immigrants, with some exceptions, should be deported, while 23 percent believe all illegal immigrants should be deported.

Only 5 percent believe all illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay in the United States legally, and 31 percent want most illegal immigrants to stay.

Attitudes toward immigration are polarized by party, according to another the Reuters/Ipsos poll. Seventy-five percent of Republicans think all or most immigrants should be deported, compared to 40 percent of Democrats who think the same.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...ted?lite/RK=0/RS=UpMQBqqFCMZ2tFdCg7tiEuZlg5A-

That should help him in the primaries but if he should get to the general election, the Libs and LaRaza would excoriate him.

La Raza measn "the race", right?

A. Most Mexicans are mutts.....Spanish and any of a number of aboriginal Mexican tribes. Yes folks that's right it wasn't just white eurotrash that invaded and stole from the originals.

2. What if there was a white organization named "The Race" ?

I feel for ya DJ but that is one industry that I have some experience in and it's as rough a job as you can think of. The big companies do not like to hire inexperienced drivers because their insurance is already beyond astronomical so the pay and hours have to suffer. Good Luck and maybe try to think of something you can do on your own. My daughter sells Goodwill and garage sale junk she finds on E-Bay and makes some decent money doing it.

Here in WY we have a ton of trucking jobs open. The situation is certainly different from what you describe. A good buddy of mine takes home $1,600 a week, and is home every night. He said that he would bust his hump to get me on there. It's a very long term job.

I get the idea of selling stuff, but I need good to great medical insurance. My wife has been very ill since February 5th, and lost her job over it. It's been a rough few months.

Here in WY we have a ton of trucking jobs open. The situation is certainly different from what you describe. A good buddy of mine takes home $1,600 a week, and is home every night. He said that he would bust his hump to get me on there. It's a very long term job.

I get the idea of selling stuff, but I need good to great medical insurance. My wife has been very ill since February 5th, and lost her job over it. It's been a rough few months.

My father was a trucker. I don't think I've seen a trucking job that pays $1600 a week and the driver is home every night. I didn't even know the teamsters paid that well with that much time off. There are tons of trucking jobs here but they are almost all OTR or don't pay nearly as well.

My father was a trucker. I don't think I've seen a trucking job that pays $1600 a week and the driver is home every night. I didn't even know the teamsters paid that well with that much time off. There are tons of trucking jobs here but they are almost all OTR or don't pay nearly as well.

Definitely a job I once thought of as somewhat "romantic" and now think of as tireless drudgery.....it can't be fun. Or for that matter very profitable, due apologies to DBS..........btw where the **** has that irascible old **** been?

Definitely a job I once thought of as somewhat "romantic" and now think of as tireless drudgery.....it can't be fun. Or for that matter very profitable, due apologies to DBS..........btw where the **** has that irascible old **** been?

It a lot of work and a lot of time spent away from home. That's why almost nobody wants to do it. Also if you don't watch what you eat you will weigh 400 lbs. and be dead by the time your 65. Many of my father's trucking buddies are long gone.

It a lot of work and a lot of time spent away from home. That's why almost nobody wants to do it. Also if you don't watch what you eat you will weigh 400 lbs. and be dead by the time your 65. Many of my father's trucking buddies are long gone.

I could see that.....I know you need to be pretty established for awhile w/ a good company to get a good gig....such as they are. It's definitely not the "see the country, make big bucks " job some think of.

I wish you all the luck in the world and we will say a prayer for you and your wife DJ. If you can find a trucking job right off the street, with no experience making more than what amounts to minimum wage when all the hours are logged...I would consider it a minor miracle.

The newbies around here get stuck in 'rock buckets' at the concrete plants or hump it all day as log haulers from the woods to the paper mills. That's 12 hours a day, 6 days a week for $600 take home money to start. These guys get paid by the load and the obstacles are many. They do a lot of waiting for other people or in lines that vary in length by weather, breakdowns and production needs..

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you. I am not having any success as a 50 year old guy finding a job. We are probably going to leave Wyoming. That really sucks.

As far as the trucking situation, I can only go on what my buddy tells me. I have no reason to doubt him on any level. He's been a straight up guy as long as I've known him. If it's a miracle, then great. That's about all I have left.

Thanks to all of you. I am not having any success as a 50 year old guy finding a job. We are probably going to leave Wyoming. That really sucks.

As far as the trucking situation, I can only go on what my buddy tells me. I have no reason to doubt him on any level. He's been a straight up guy as long as I've known him. If it's a miracle, then great. That's about all I have left.

google "fastest growing companies in Cheyenne" or whatever city you are near. Fast growing companies need people. You may have to start in a position below your qualifications but the opportunites should be there. I had to do this last year and it has worked out great so far. I'm now back to my livable wage with good benefits.

I thought about it and ran it by DBS since I can go to a school near here and get a CDL in nine weeks if I went full-time. Keeping in mind that I want to move to FL, DBS said that the local/regional home-every-night jobs are the primo jobs that everyone wants and trucking companies can have their pick of experienced long-haul drivers who don't want to be long-haul anymore. Almost everyone new will have to do the long-haul cross-country stuff that sucks. I decided on mortuary science school which takes two years part-time online the way I'm doing it, then a year internship. In my next-to-last semester but damn am I burned out on school.

My father-in-law is a retired trucker and an irascible ************ as well and whored his way around the country for years, ergo Mrs. Burgundy would have a dim view of me being a trucker.

Last edited:
Good question, I hope he's OK.

Ark, Supe..Yinz know what's up ?

last thing he posted on Facebook was something about having negative intercourse.
y'all can figger that one out.

The data are available for all to see, but the unfortunate truth is that most just don't want to learn the truth, or investigate how bad Obama's recovery has been. For example, we are being told that the economy is now doing well, and employment is booming!! Not so much. We are one quarter of negative GDP growth from being in another recession:

united-states-gdp-growth.png

Further, compare Obama's recovery to the Reagan recovery, or the Clinton recovery:

How about median income and wages? Those are BOOMING with Bammy's dedication to the middle class, right??? Yeah, not so much:

adjusting-median-household-income-for-inflation-1967-chain.gif

Well, we overcame the housing crisis, and Bammy's approach to loan restructuring is rallying home ownership in America, right?? Amiright??? Yeah, no:

US-homeownership-rate-1990-2014.png

Yeah, but I mean, Bammy's economy is creating high-paying full-time jobs, right?? RIGHT??? Ehhhh ... no:

Full-Time-vs-Part-time-16-plus-since-2000.gif

How about the future? Doesn't the economy look to rebound under the Bammy economy with a burgeoning labor force? Yeah, no:

labor-force-participation-rate.png

Finally, healthcare. Ahhh, healthcare. Bammy's healthcare solution was to do what private insurance companies have done for years - realize that a significant percentage of healthcare expenditures are for services costing $5,000 and less, and then vastly boosting the deductible to cover a significant portion of those expenses.

Deductible used to be $500 and is now $1,500? Guess what, the premium increases just a tick ... because YOU are paying the extra $1,000 directly in the form of a deductible.

The Bammy legacy, depicted above. But hey, don't let the truth stand in the way ... BAMMY'S ECONOMY IS GREAT!

You can make $1600 a week and be home every night working in the trucking industry if you have been doing it for a long time and have a **** ton of time with the company. Most of the Local jobs require a minimum of two years OTR like I told Burgundy and he relayed in the post above.

On the original topic of this thread, I have to wonder how many of the jobs added are part time jobs that are filled by people who used to be full time employed.

The data are available for all to see, but the unfortunate truth is that most just don't want to learn the truth, or investigate how bad Obama's recovery has been. For example, we are being told that the economy is now doing well, and employment is booming!! Not so much. We are one quarter of negative GDP growth from being in another recession:

Further, compare Obama's recovery to the Reagan recovery, or the Clinton recovery:

How about median income and wages? Those are BOOMING with Bammy's dedication to the middle class, right??? Yeah, not so much:

adjusting-median-household-income-for-inflation-1967-chain.gif

Well, we overcame the housing crisis, and Bammy's approach to loan restructuring is rallying home ownership in America, right?? Amiright??? Yeah, no:

US-homeownership-rate-1990-2014.png

Yeah, but I mean, Bammy's economy is creating high-paying full-time jobs, right?? RIGHT??? Ehhhh ... no:

Full-Time-vs-Part-time-16-plus-since-2000.gif

How about the future? Doesn't the economy look to rebound under the Bammy economy with a burgeoning labor force? Yeah, no:

labor-force-participation-rate.png

Finally, healthcare. Ahhh, healthcare. Bammy's healthcare solution was to do what private insurance companies have done for years - realize that a significant percentage of healthcare expenditures are for services costing $5,000 and less, and then vastly boosting the deductible to cover a significant portion of those expenses.

Deductible used to be $500 and is now $1,500? Guess what, the premium increases just a tick ... because YOU are paying the extra $1,000 directly in the form of a deductible.

The Bammy legacy, depicted above. But hey, don't let the truth stand in the way ... BAMMY'S ECONOMY IS GREAT!

Racist!
10 characters.

I just had a GREAT interview to teach math at the local community college.

Hoping!

It's every single person in this country fault. I bet big money everyone of you shop for the cheapest price on whatever your buying or hire the cheapest guy to work on your house. What exactly do you think your getting when you do that. It's the mentality of the huge majority wether you're a conservative or liberal hat is turning this country into what it's becoming