• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin & Colbert pre-draft PC

Press conference is live. Colbert is reading from a script about the contracts of guys they resigned.

Colbert says this is the most stacked draft he's seen in 30 years. Talks about guys they took off the board for medical or whatever reasons. He says at 15 there's solid players available. He thinks the round 2 pick might be a guy who should be a round 1 pick in other draft years.

Receivers in this years draft come in all shapes and sizes. Interior lineman not deep but quality is there. Safeties not deep but quality is good. Corners are solid, skipped right on by the one real quick, lol.

Talking about 3-4 & 4-3 quality linebackers, deep group available.

We won't be moving up, could possibly move down, its an option that's available to us.

Few positions off the table where we are now, no position off the table if we trade back.

Questions from the peanut gallery...

Tomlin looks like he's been in the weight room. The standard is the standard.

Tomlin: Cam Thomas is nose tackle and end capable. Going to see where he fits in best, likes his position flexibility. McClendon has proven he can play nose. Will play the best combination under the circumstances to make us the best front.

Talking about the sub-package defenses and how they want a NT who can stay on the field and play end as well.

Colbert talks about trading back and not wanting to trade away from a specific group of players. When they traded up for Shamarko they did so with the idea that they were going to get a 3rd round compensatory pick back (wallace). If they trade back this year the more picks they can pick up the merrier.

Colbert doesn't necessarily use the trade draft pick value chart. Says he doesn't follow it because if he really wants a player they go get him. How much is a Super Bowl worth? Talked about trading a 3 and a 6 to get Troy and a 3 and a 4 to get Santonio.

Talking about a press v zone coverage guy. Colbert talks about evaluating their skills and seeing if they can do what the team asks them to do. Tomlin steps in and talks about high pedigree and how colleges use their best athletes at positions they necessarily won't play in the NFL. Tackles in college who play interior line in the pros and corners who move to safeties.

I believe Tomlin just said Spence is healthy, clean bill of health and he's working out with the team. They don't know how he will be until when he gets on the grass. He's not starting from the ground since he's been around the team even though he was injured. His knee is good to go.

Sounds like Spence will be active for camp for those wondering.

Sounds like wr is def in the discussion, and cb. I bet they go wr in rd 2 or rd 3.

They like the additional time they had to review players with the draft pushed back. Scouts had more weekends off. Tomlin got to more pro days than normal.

Colbert talking about declining players (older) who have escalating salaries. How they had to clear those guys out. Talking about possibly drafting another QB, players drafted are all skilled but need time to develop.

Said again, not trading up. QBs are the one position that teams may jockey for if they don't draft high. Teams may trade back up in bottom 1 or early 2 to take a QB.

Spence would be a real nice addition at ILB if he can go. Man I gave this kid up for dead and its nothing short of a miracle if he comes back. Nice going Spence.

Colbert thinks there are 19 guys they would really feel good about getting at 15.

Colbert actually said that there were as many as 19 they liked. I think that may be a little telling. If they get to pick 15 and there were some surprises early, meaning 5-6 players are there they like, they may slide down. If not, expect them to use the 15th pick.

Also, Tomlin and Colbert stated that they do not expect a starter this year, hope they can contribute on special teams or sub-packages, but they are just young talented guys that have to prove they have the maturity, mental makeup, and other aspects to improve and help the team.

Tomlin said they are not done in free agency. We've lost more than we added. We will rectify that via draft and future free agents.

PC is over. Counting down to Thursday night. Time to mock a mock

too bad there's no karma button yet. Thanks for the live updates

They love them some Mike Adams. That's what Colbert said.

When asked about Mike Adams and his events recently, Colbert said all he would say about that is "I am glad Mike Adams is a Steeler".

So, there is that. Do think he has backed off his hardass stance on draft day.

Also said there was some lively (I think is the word) debates about the receivers and how they struggled to separate this guy from that guy. I can see that......

TMC, I def got the impressions that they talked a ton about wr's. I'm guessing rd 2 or 3.

I am sure with the glut of good WRs in this draft, there were debates all down the board, every round.