• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin On The Trading Block?

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Jay Glazer of Fox Sports is a close and personal friend of Mike Tomlin. When he breaks news like this, you should pay attention. HE specifically says that Mike Tolin is on the "hot seat".

Despite what is currently a six-year drought without a playoff win, the Steelers are highly unlikely to fire head coach Mike Tomlin after this season.

But would they consider trading him at the nadir of his run in Pittsburgh? Presumably, Tomlin could still hold significant cachet with other franchises, starving for a coach who has his resume.

The topic came up from a fan on social media while Fox NFL insider Jay Glazer was on the “NFL on Fox” podcast with Dave Helman this week. Glazer is known to have a close relationship with Tomlin. And he encouraged at least one team to inquire with the Steelers about Tomlin’s availability.

Jay Glazer addresses the Mike Tomlin trade rumors for the first time. pic.twitter.com/MwmF38bMzD

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) December 12, 2023

“Hey, Washington, he’s from Virginia,” Glazer said. “I’m at least giving it a shot. I’m trying for it. If they decide to move away from Ron Rivera, you’ve got to swing away for a guy like that. If he’s on the hot seat, swing away … Amongst his peers, (Tomlin) is ‘the guy.’”

But Glazer said teams beyond the Commanders should inquire.

“If Mike Tomlin was available, there would be teams lining up. Even if he was not available yet, teams should be calling, trying to trade for Mike Tomlin,” Glazer said.

“If Mike Tomlin was available, there would be teams probably willing to get rid of their own head coach to bring in a Mike Tomlin. When you talk to other head coaches in this league, he is the guy. He is the grandpapa. He is the guy they all look up to. He has done an incredible job over the years. To never have a losing season? It’s absolutely ridiculous.”

DK Steelers Daily Shot had this exact near same run this morning.

I'm all for it, get a (this year) 1st and 3rd, next year 2nd and 4th.............. He is coveted yaz know....................

Salute the nation

That would be the best route to go, teams would probably give up a decent amount for him

It would relieve Art 2 of the contractual agreement and save face of not firng him.

Salute the nation

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports is a close and personal friend of Mike Tomlin. When he breaks news like this, you should pay attention. HE specifically says that Mike Tolin is on the "hot seat".

Despite what is currently a six-year drought without a playoff win, the Steelers are highly unlikely to fire head coach Mike Tomlin after this season.

But would they consider trading him at the nadir of his run in Pittsburgh? Presumably, Tomlin could still hold significant cachet with other franchises, starving for a coach who has his resume.

The topic came up from a fan on social media while Fox NFL insider Jay Glazer was on the “NFL on Fox” podcast with Dave Helman this week. Glazer is known to have a close relationship with Tomlin. And he encouraged at least one team to inquire with the Steelers about Tomlin’s availability.

Jay Glazer addresses the Mike Tomlin trade rumors for the first time. pic.twitter.com/MwmF38bMzD

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) December 12, 2023

“Hey, Washington, he’s from Virginia,” Glazer said. “I’m at least giving it a shot. I’m trying for it. If they decide to move away from Ron Rivera, you’ve got to swing away for a guy like that. If he’s on the hot seat, swing away … Amongst his peers, (Tomlin) is ‘the guy.’”

But Glazer said teams beyond the Commanders should inquire.

“If Mike Tomlin was available, there would be teams lining up. Even if he was not available yet, teams should be calling, trying to trade for Mike Tomlin,” Glazer said.

“If Mike Tomlin was available, there would be teams probably willing to get rid of their own head coach to bring in a Mike Tomlin. When you talk to other head coaches in this league, he is the guy. He is the grandpapa. He is the guy they all look up to. He has done an incredible job over the years. To never have a losing season? It’s absolutely ridiculous.”
If Omar Khan could pull off a trade for Tomlin and get lets say a first round and maybe fill in rounds 5 & 6 it would be the trade of the century. Colbert wouldn't have the balls to even think about trading a coach and I am sure Khan would need Arts blessing. But after Art fired Canada I would hope Khan could convince him the team could rebuild quicker with a younger coach with a new vision and draft picks rather than wait for Tomlin to finally build a playoff winning super bowl caliber team.

I just don't see the Steelers putting Tomlin on the trading block. The Raiders? No doubt, but not the Steelers.

I see Rooney giving Tomlin a swan song season next year and letting him ride off into mediocrity afterwards. Everything will be announced up front so as to not have distractions about him staying or leaving. If he can ride off like The Bus with a Superbowl ring, that'll make for great press.

I just don't see the Steelers putting Tomlin on the trading block. The Raiders? No doubt, but not the Steelers.

I see Rooney giving Tomlin a swan song season next year and letting him ride off into mediocrity afterwards. Everything will be announced up front so as to not have distractions about him staying or leaving. If he can ride off like The Bus with a Superbowl ring, that'll make for great press.
I don't see Art Jr. having the guts. If he did, this whole mess might have been solved years ago.

I also, doubt Tomlin would go for it. He has too much stubbornness.

The story is planted. It starts the conversation. Rumors will swirl. Tomlin will accept a trade. And the sun will shine bright over pittsburgh.

Washington wanted him a couple years back as well…
He would be a home run for that fanbase. He would get them in the playoff picture annually and they would adore that

If you adore you team being IN THE HUNT at the end of the year, and then praying to god another team helps them get in, then he is your guy!

Dream on
Dream on
I dream on
Dream a little, I'll dream on
Dream on
I dream on
I dream on
Dream a little, I'll dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
I'll dream on
Dream on
Dream on
I dream on

you mean like he has got us in the playoffs and won all those playoff games these last 8 years.....lol ok whatever
We are ALWAYS in the playoff picture… not always in the playoffs, but always in the conversation… every year but one he has had playoff chances on the final week.. he never finishes worse than 8th in the division … some fans salivate for that

We are ALWAYS in the playoff picture… not always in the playoffs, but always in the conversation… every year but one he has had playoff chances on the final week.. he never finishes worse than 8th in the division … some fans salivate for that
lol and we all know what to expect year after year after year after year.............good riddance IF it actually happens.....and something else he NEVER does, win playoff games these last 8 years.....enough is enough....bye Felicia

I’ve thought for some time now that Washington would be a perfect destination for Tomlin. He’s from Virginia so sort of going back home for him.
Now with that being said, Tomlin would have to agree to the trade and Art II must be on board with it.
I think with Washington’s new owner this would be a big splash move for his down and out organization to land Tomlin.
I’m betting we could wiggle their first and second round pick in the 24 draft and possibly a second in 25.
Afterall, greatest coach ever and teams would be lined up to hire him. Let’s test those waters!

And letting the bidding war begin... If he is Granpappa, then he is the matriarch of coaching - pony up! You watch, with this news, NE will move quickly to put Hoodie on the trading block, making Tomlin basically stale leftovers!
Yep, Hoddie is done with NE after this year anyways sooooooooooo let's see: Hoodie vs .500....hmmmmmm no question about it I would take Hoodie over .500 any day if I were an owner

1*Irqbz57ypBnuGTuqmbkBXw.jpeg

I’ve thought for some time now that Washington would be a perfect destination for Tomlin. He’s from Virginia so sort of going back home for him.
Now with that being said, Tomlin would have to agree to the trade and Art II must be on board with it.
I think with Washington’s new owner this would be a big splash move for his down and out organization to land Tomlin.
I’m betting we could wiggle their first and second round pick in the 24 draft and possibly a second in 25.
Afterall, greatest coach ever and teams would be lined up to hire him. Let’s test those waters!
That's pretty much on track with what Denver gave in their trade with NO for Payton, and they pretty much have the same record and win percentage. I agree that Khan could get an extra 2nd in the following draft and not have to exchange a third or lower draft pick like NO had to do as part of their trade. Crossing fingers.

It would be Tomlin's move to initiate this and I don't see him approaching the duece and requesting to go. The only way Tomlin makes the suggestion is if Art tells him his contract will be evaluated after next season, Tomlin figures, hell I'll go now to another team that will give me a multi year, 15 mill per minimum. He may realize that staying next year and failing miserably may decrease his value if he's released after 2024.