• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin On The Trading Block?

1. This dude needs to blow his nose
2. "Keep Tomlin because if the Steelers bring in a new coach you waste at least a year because new HC don't make it to the Super Bowl....The Steelers aren't that far away with Tomlin". SAY WHAT?!?

Thanks for sharing Supe...This dude only adds evidence to my creedo that some people should not be on YouTube.
did you see who he listed in his top 5? one specific one... i'd burn all my Steelers **** and never look back.

did you see who he listed in his top 5? one specific one... i'd burn all my Steelers **** and never look back.
No, but I will now. This is intriguing.

There is no iq test to post on YouTube. There is no iq test to be a member of congress. Dumb people are allowed to participate.

I'm with you Supe...Either #4 or #3 and I'm totally peace out on this organization. What a travesty for Pittsburgh.

The pundits say there will be plenty of teams wanting MT. Well on the other side of the coin there would be many good coaches who would want to coach for the Steelers.

If Rooney was to trade/fire him right after the season I would say the Steelers would be the best open job by far

Yes, we don’t pay assistants well but I would hope Rooney would change that with a new coach who actually wants to hire the best person for the job

On the plus side the ownership stability, long leash for having mediocre to bad seasons, and most likely a 15+ year career here would make it the top available job in the offseason

Has anyone ever seen this much protection of the coach by the media in their life? It's so weird for a coach that has done nothing but be average almost his entire career.

Has anyone ever seen this much protection of the coach by the media in their life? It's so weird for a coach that has done nothing but be average almost his entire career.

It's very odd, but not surprising in the least. Nobody in media does their homework, so I pretty much ignore them when they speak on subjects they clearly know nothing about.

Hell the stupid ******* still say that Steeler fans travel well. Yeah, like we're all rich moving in large hordes from game to game.

or maybe...

We already live in the **** ING area caused by a mass exodus years ago from Pittsburgh.

Reactions: GMC
If Tomlin were under threat of trade or release the only thing I would have to do to push it to the finish line is buy a Tomlin jersey. When I buy a Steelers jersey that person is either getting cut, traded or injured. I mostly stick to retired player jerseys now to avoid this.

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports is a close and personal friend of Mike Tomlin. When he breaks news like this, you should pay attention. HE specifically says that Mike Tolin is on the "hot seat".

Despite what is currently a six-year drought without a playoff win, the Steelers are highly unlikely to fire head coach Mike Tomlin after this season.

But would they consider trading him at the nadir of his run in Pittsburgh? Presumably, Tomlin could still hold significant cachet with other franchises, starving for a coach who has his resume.

The topic came up from a fan on social media while Fox NFL insider Jay Glazer was on the “NFL on Fox” podcast with Dave Helman this week. Glazer is known to have a close relationship with Tomlin. And he encouraged at least one team to inquire with the Steelers about Tomlin’s availability.

Jay Glazer addresses the Mike Tomlin trade rumors for the first time. pic.twitter.com/MwmF38bMzD

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) December 12, 2023

“Hey, Washington, he’s from Virginia,” Glazer said. “I’m at least giving it a shot. I’m trying for it. If they decide to move away from Ron Rivera, you’ve got to swing away for a guy like that. If he’s on the hot seat, swing away … Amongst his peers, (Tomlin) is ‘the guy.’”

But Glazer said teams beyond the Commanders should inquire.

“If Mike Tomlin was available, there would be teams lining up. Even if he was not available yet, teams should be calling, trying to trade for Mike Tomlin,” Glazer said.

“If Mike Tomlin was available, there would be teams probably willing to get rid of their own head coach to bring in a Mike Tomlin. When you talk to other head coaches in this league, he is the guy. He is the grandpapa. He is the guy they all look up to. He has done an incredible job over the years. To never have a losing season? It’s absolutely ridiculous.”
Meh.....Doubtful. One can wish though.

It isn't a question of whether NFL coaches have a no-trade clause built into their contracts, it's a question of whether there is a clause in the contract allowing the Steelers to trade Tomlin's contract without his consent.

Players can be traded without their consent because the standard NFL player contract has an express clause allowing teams to transfer a player's contract to another team without that player's consent (See Clause 17 of Arian Foster contract here) and the collective bargaining agreement has a number of clauses that include trade provisions.

I doubt there would be a similar clause in standard coaching contracts.
Thanks for the reply, but I did some research myself, and it has nothing to do with any clause in Tomlin's contract. From sportscasting.com:

"When teams agree to a trade involving players, the players’ contracts are swapped between the clubs, with one team sometimes agreeing to take on part of the salary of the player being traded.

That’s not how trading coaches works. If teams agree to a trade involving a head coach, the contract doesn’t transfer to his new team. What happens is the two teams agree to compensation — in the form of draft picks and/or cash — that would be exchanged if the new team successfully reaches a new contract with the coach.

Once that happens, the coach’s current team releases him, in exchange for the previously agreed-upon compensation from the new team. So coaches have a say in whether they are traded and, if so, to what team."

So that's why Tomlin needs to be "amenable" to a potential trade -- he'd be negotiating a brand new contract with the potential suitor.

If Tomlin were under threat of trade or release the only thing I would have to do to push it to the finish line is buy a Tomlin jersey. When I buy a Steelers jersey that person is either getting cut, traded or injured. I mostly stick to retired player jerseys now to avoid this.
Instead of a jersey, go get yourself a nice pair of sunglasses like MT has. Then wear them in the rain. Maybe that'll help.

If it happens....and I very seriously doubt it...
Then the conversation would have to come from someone beside Rooney within the organization

So, who has the coglione's .and has the significant amount of influence over the Deuce within the Steelers organization?

Answer---NOBODY

Forgetbout it!

Last edited: