• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin Rated #6 Best NFL Coach

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Is the arrow pointing up?
It was last year. We'll see how it is this year without McCain, Troy, Ike, and Keisel. I know the last three were kinda on their last legs but then you're going to replace them will new people. Tombert better hit a home run for the defense with this draft.

Wingman

Reaction score
I no longer care about the circle jerk crowd or which one is the pivot man. I am wondering though have there only been 5 coaches to have won a playoff game in the last 5 years?

Wingman

Reaction score
I just looked at the article, from the can't broadcast sports network written by a former Jacksonville beat writer who picked belicheat as number one and the best ever. It seems from the comments his other picks are questioned as well, place must be full of haters. Someone let me know when we win another playoff game.

Acereros

Reaction score
I just looked at the article, from the can't broadcast sports network written by a former Jacksonville beat writer who picked belicheat as number one and the best ever. It seems from the comments his other picks are questioned as well, place must be full of haters. Someone let me know when we win another playoff game.

Who cares about winning play off games? That's not important (only for few ones). As long as Tomlin keeps getting even seasons (8-8) or marginally a winning record, most of the guys who posted above in this thread will be content.

With the Tomlin-led teams the arrow may point at any direction, but we know know for sure where it will be pointing at coming the play-offs.

steelhurt

In Andy I trust....
Reaction score
Who cares about winning play off games? That's not important (only for few ones). As long as Tomlin keeps getting even seasons (8-8) or marginally a winning record, most of the guys who posted above in this thread will be content.

With the Tomlin-led teams the arrow may point at any direction, but we know know for sure where it will be pointing at coming the play-offs.

I don't think that's true at all about the guys that posted in this thread being content.. I've been around here and the previous boards a long time and a lot of these guys have been around a long time as well. There is no way you can convince that folks here that posted in this thread are content with 8-8 or just a winning record. Thee guys here want to win the SB every year, me included. That's the goal before each season starts and we know we have that chance as long as Ben is at the helm. The team has built a nice offense around Ben. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing another piece or two like a complimentary TE to Heath that will be his eventual replacement and an upgrade at LT so we could move Beachum to LG, but I like what we've build on offense. Defense is another story. As we all know guys like Jones,Shazier,Tuitt and Cortez need to play their A game this year. We need one more season from James and must have a solid draft focusing primarily on defense.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score

That's right. If they go 9-7 and miss the playoffs that's still good,...another non-losing season. Check. That's the measuring stick..

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
Who's Tomlin? When did he start coaching the STEELERS?
Thought he was still in Minnesota...why don't anyone of you dumb ***** let me know this ****.

Xc944

Reaction score
He's done a great job with the team since he took over and has gotten everything he could out of them like a good coach would

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
This is what really happens at SN. A thread full of people bitching about people that haven't said a word YET. People can't just read the article and just give a comment. Nope, they have to start bitching about others... typical.

Give it time.....i know how this plays out. Seen it half a billion times..........

I

Idioteque

some cant resist rehashing the same argument and its destined to spiral into that (bash thread). Id LOVE for it to be all about rating him against his peers in the league, but it wont last--this thread can go 5 pages or it can go 75.....

No kidding. After all, the first two posters to ***** in the thread were....

oh. you and Supe.

Hes rated 6th best......i think hes top 5 (id move Coughlin down) and that would suggest hes better than avg in the league (hes better than 80% of the leagues coaches goin by this article)--- but hes still growing/learning. I also know we are a spoiled bunch and have extremely high standards for this team and its coaches. We arent allowed down years...........

4 years w/out a playoff win is a down year?

I

Idioteque

6 is a fair ranking....but this is terrible:

What a hilariously stupid comparison. Noll coached 23 seasons to Tomlin's 8. He also took over a laughing stock team and by his 8th season had them a two time SB champion with 5 straight years of post season play, back when only 4 teams in the conference got to the post season.

Well, SN (and this article) have taught me very clearly that win% definitively determines HC quality. Therefore, Tomlin (and Mike Martz) are definitively better coaches than Noll.

Vader

Reaction score
Give it time.....i know how this plays out. Seen it half a billion times..........

I have to. I'm seeing it right now. Just look at the entire first page and half of this one. You and others ***** about people that haven't said a word and then get more pissed when they show up to defend themselves from being attacked without any reason.

I need to start a thread about something then start bitching about you people. Then I'll ***** when you show up to say anything.

I

Idioteque

That's right. If they go 9-7 and miss the playoffs that's still good,...another non-losing season. Check. That's the measuring stick..

Can't tell you how many times someone on here has thrown out non-losing seasons as PROOF POSITIVE Tomlin is Yaweh. There are two in particular who cling to it, and it's always hilarious.

The funniest thing about it is that they have to twist the wording of the stat - "no non-losing seasons" instead of "all winning seasons" - to make the TEAM's mediocrity look palatable.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
I have to. I'm seeing it right now. Just look at the entire first page and half of this one. You and others ***** about people that haven't said a word and then get more pissed when they show up to defend themselves from being attacked without any reason.

I need to start a thread about something then start bitching about you people. Then I'll ***** when you show up to say anything.

As i said...its comin...that goddamn wall-damn is about to break...theres fissures in the concrete....some of you are exercising great restraint...Pains you to stay silent on this topic....trust me.....i know who you mutherfuckers are.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
As i said...its comin...that goddamn wall-damn is about to break...theres fissures in the concrete....some of you are exercising great restraint...Pains you to stay silent on this topic....trust me.....i know who you mutherfuckers are.

Its a'comin', Vader! Here it comes, Idioteque! Run fer them thar hiiiiillls!

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

35n429.jpg

Shhhh ... be vewwy vewwwwy quiet

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin inherited a great team and won immediately. The talent level has steadily declined each year. He inherited one of the best and most intimidating defenses, a great OL that could run on anybody, a young franchise QB with a SB ring, good weapons on offense.

Fast forward and now the steelers have no pass rush at all, one of the worst secondaries, get few sacks, produce few turnovers. The OL is mediocre despite numerous high picks invested, they can't run the ball unless Le'Veon makes it happen.

What's more annoying than Tomlin bashing is those who pretend he's done a great job. Anything good is all him. Anything bad, not his job. Head coach is not responsible for drafting (unless it's a good pick), free agents, gameplan, playcalling, substitutions, deciding which plays to challenge, or being aware of the concept of jetlag,

Lots of people used to bash Cowher before he won the SUper Bowl and i'd argue back at them all the time. What i didn't do was just tell them to shut up without refuting their points.

Go ahead. What has Tomlin done that is above average? I can think of 2 things. Press conferences and drafting WRs. But i guess many of you can't even point to drafting WRs since Tomlin is responsible for the drafts.

He's not a BAD coach, but he's certainly not anything special.

I

Idioteque

Dude. The first one to ***** about The Hatazzzz was Supe. You were the second. So what were you offended by again?

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Tomlin inherited a great team and won immediately. The talent level has steadily declined each year. He inherited one of the best and most intimidating defenses, a great OL that could run on anybody, a young franchise QB with a SB ring, good weapons on offense.

Fast forward and now the steelers have no pass rush at all, one of the worst secondaries, get few sacks, produce few turnovers. The OL is mediocre despite numerous high picks invested, they can't run the ball unless Le'Veon makes it happen.

What's more annoying than Tomlin bashing is those who pretend he's done a great job. Anything good is all him. Anything bad, not his job. Head coach is not responsible for drafting (unless it's a good pick), free agents, gameplan, playcalling, substitutions, deciding which plays to challenge, or being aware of the concept of jetlag,

Lots of people used to bash Cowher before he won the SUper Bowl and i'd argue back at them all the time. What i didn't do was just tell them to shut up without refuting their points.

Go ahead. What has Tomlin done that is above average? I can think of 2 things. Press conferences and drafting WRs. But i guess many of you can't even point to drafting WRs since Tomlin is responsible for the drafts.

But....but...higher winning percentage than Chuck Noll!!!

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Average coach was handed a great team and has made it mediocre despite having a franchise QB in his prime. Hasn't win a playoff game in 5 years, lost to Tim Ttebow and got killed at home against a mediocre Rat team,

Interesting stat, Cowher was 5-1 in the playoffs with Ben, Tomlin is 5-4 including 3 straight losses. Tomlin was 5-1 with Ben before Cowher's players got old were replaced and Tomlin put his mediocre stamp on the team. We can do better than the walking cliche.

I no longer care about the circle jerk crowd or which one is the pivot man. I am wondering though have there only been 5 coaches to have won a playoff game in the last 5 years?

This is what really happens at SN. A thread full of people bitching about people that haven't said a word. People can't just read the article and just give a comment. Nope, they have to start bitching about others... typical.

macho-man-freak-out-o.gif

There you have it folks

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Had a great year last year going 11-5 and winning the division. If it hadn't been for the Bell injury, I believe we could have won a couple of playoff games. Love the offense now, which in the past has been a weakness. Now we need to finish rolling over the defense and hopefully do better in the draft on the defensive side of the ball.

Steelerfan

Reaction score

Racist!!!!

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score

Good synopsis tape, but you forgot one thing. It's all Ben's fault. I've noticed that a lot of Coach's staunchest supporters are also Ben's biggest critics. :confused: