• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Training camp Offense beginning pecking order.

Everyone understands the rules just fine except you.

Nobody is bending the rules.

Justin doesn’t screw around with peoples info or subscriptions.

I hope yo irritate him and he bans your ignorant arse for good.

😁
This coming from the one falsely accusing others of being someone else, but sans the stones to make a bet on it. Could I say "It figures?" It truly does. The name calling, the false accusations, it all adds up to you being you. Grow up. Your unsubstantiated posts offer garbage troll crap, nothing else.

This coming from the one falsely accusing others of being someone else, but sans the stones to make a bet on it. Could I say "It figures?" It truly does. The name calling, the false accusations, it all adds up to you being you. Grow up. Your unsubstantiated posts offer garbage troll crap, nothing else.
STFU cooch you are like a broken record . You do the exact same things cooch1 did even your repetitious garbage.

ObviouslY, RIGHT NOW, Moore @LT & Jones @RT grades higher than Fantanu @RT & More @ LT. Can this change in the next few week, it sure can, but that is where they are at RIGHT NOW.

ObviouslY, RIGHT NOW, Moore @LT & Jones @RT grades higher than Fantanu @RT & More @ LT. Can this change in the next few week, it sure can, but that is where they are at RIGHT NOW.
Of course I expect that early. Come the end of preseason we shall see what it looks like.

I see that changing, but Coach Tomlin has been known to play players out of position and Rookies having a hard time breaking into the starting line up.

Broderick Jones at LT and Fantanu at RT, would grade out higher if given the chance to break in.

I see very soon, these Rookies will get their opportunity to participate, thus proving my theory.

Salute the nation

If they drop some games while playing the vets, it just continues to show that MT is truly in over his head.

I see that changing, but Coach Tomlin has been known to play players out of position and Rookies having a hard time breaking into the starting line up.

Broderick Jones at LT and Fantanu at RT, would grade out higher if given the chance to break in.

I see very soon, these Rookies will get their opportunity to participate, thus proving my theory.

Salute the nation
This is a very weird position battle since Dan Moore will not be in contention to play RT. Jones has to outplay Moore at LT and Fantanu would have to outplay Jones at RT to have the best line in place. Then if they make a change midseason, it'll be changing 40% of the line rather than just plugging in one starter.

This is a very weird position battle since Dan Moore will not be in contention to play RT. Jones has to outplay Moore at LT and Fantanu would have to outplay Jones at RT to have the best line in place. Then if they make a change midseason, it'll be changing 40% of the line rather than just plugging in one starter.
I think they are better off going with the vet formula early unless one of the two rookies shows they are a clear force. Definitely a tricky situation. One that will probably show better later than sooner.

DK Daily Shot brought near same predicament up as well. DK also said it might be later rather than sooner. He was pretty certain that Jones and Fantanu will be starting LT & RT later in the season. Be patient and let it play out.

Personally, I think Coach Tomlin waits too long on rookies contributing. He took a train wreck 3rd rounder and had him start day 1 at center. Also took a 4th rounder and started him day 1 at LT. Jones & Fantanu are way better than either of two aforementioned, yet will sit until something causes them to play……

Salute the nation

DK Daily Shot brought near same predicament up as well. DK also said it might be later rather than sooner. He was pretty certain that Jones and Fantanu will be starting LT & RT later in the season. Be patient and let it play out.

Personally, I think Coach Tomlin waits too long on rookies contributing. He took a train wreck 3rd rounder and had him start day 1 at center. Also took a 4th rounder and started him day 1 at LT. Jones & Fantanu are way better than either of two aforementioned, yet will sit until something causes them to play……
That is just a lot of shuffling later in the season, particularly when the schedule begins to get tougher.

I think we've seen mixed results with rookie contributions. Porter was clearly the best option at CB early on last year and he had to wait. When he finally got his shot, he shined and he probably would've performed well if he started from the onset. But to your point, recently, mid-rounders were handed jobs and did not perform, yet were entrenched into the starting lineup.

Given their draft picks this year, it was my hope that Fantanu and Frazier would start. Roman Wilson would be eased into the lineup before locking down WR3 and Payton Wilson get a lot action on special teams and find a limited role in the defense as Herbig did last season.

Who's on first?

That is just a lot of shuffling later in the season, particularly when the schedule begins to get tougher.

I think we've seen mixed results with rookie contributions. Porter was clearly the best option at CB early on last year and he had to wait. When he finally got his shot, he shined and he probably would've performed well if he started from the onset. But to your point, recently, mid-rounders were handed jobs and did not perform, yet were entrenched into the starting lineup.

Given their draft picks this year, it was my hope that Fantanu and Frazier would start. Roman Wilson would be eased into the lineup before locking down WR3 and Payton Wilson get a lot action on special teams and find a limited role in the defense as Herbig did last season.

I gotcgyaz 448, my hope was that the two Frazier and Fantanu would be inserted day one while moving Jones over, day one also. Giving them as much playing time as possible before the season. My hopes were that they would “gel” into the starting all through training camp and Pre-season.

That would eliminate the late shuffle, and establish the ground work of the future. This OL will be very good, b ut the kid gloves need to be omitted and the young-uns need to play.

I’m just saying the time to strike is now, not another season later and a waste of our top talented players years.

Salute the nation

I gotcgyaz 448, my hope was that the two Frazier and Fantanu would be inserted day one while moving Jones over, day one also. Giving them as much playing time as possible before the season. My hopes were that they would “gel” into the starting all through training camp and Pre-season.

That would eliminate the late shuffle, and establish the ground work of the future. This OL will be very good, b ut the kid gloves need to be omitted and the young-uns need to play.

I’m just saying the time to strike is now, not another season later and a waste of our top talented players years.

Salute the nation
Bang on DIC

What is the logic in not starting the future OLine now?

I kinda get a bunch of preseason competition, beat out the old guys stuff, but I do not want the future OLine starting after the bye because Dan Moore Jr is 32nd ranking in LTs, again.

Thomas learned RT last year, he should be FT at LT this training camp, and Fantanu should be learning RT. Even clearer should be Frazier at C. These are all clear needs and demonstrate the logic of the last 2 drafts.

The Steelers would have been a better team last year if Thomas started at LT and Chuks and Moore battled for RT.

Hopefully this is just motivational, foundation building.

Bang on DIC

What is the logic in not starting the future OLine now?

I kinda get a bunch of preseason competition, beat out the old guys stuff, but I do not want the future OLine starting after the bye because Dan Moore Jr is 32nd ranking in LTs, again.

Thomas learned RT last year, he should be FT at LT this training camp, and Fantanu should be learning RT. Even clearer should be Frazier at C. These are all clear needs and demonstrate the logic of the last 2 drafts.

The Steelers would have been a better team last year if Thomas started at LT and Chuks and Moore battled for RT.

Hopefully this is just motivational, foundation building.
Exactly initial motivation but please put people in the best places to be successful sooner than later. I have said what I think they will do but what I prefer is force feed reps to your future now at LT,RT, and C. Get this Oline running like a fine tuned oiled machine. Not sure trotting Moore and Herbig out there accomplishes your best opportunity to reach the level of performance desired.

Exactly initial motivation but please put people in the best places to be successful sooner than later. I have said what I think they will do but what I prefer is force feed reps to your future now at LT,RT, and C. Get this Oline running like a fine tuned oiled machine. Not sure trotting Moore and Herbig out there accomplishes your best opportunity to reach the level of performance desired.
Zactly
Steelers have used last 2 first round picks on LTs, both in camp, and Moore is "starting"?

I will add one other thing to your guys discussion. While I wanted Jones and Porter to play game one last year and think the same way with Frazier and Fantanu this season, I watched a good interview with Jones this training camp.
He sounded very sincere in saying he was definitely not ready to start game one. He needed to get used to the speed and actually the in’s and out‘s of playing pro ball.
There’s probably so much more than actually just playing ball as a young rookie coming in. From knowing your teammates ,to film study,to living somewhere new,etc,etc. And every case is going to be different. He said when he was put in for staring it was the right time for him. It just took him awhile to get comfortable.
These guys are in for 10 year careers. I think a few games in the beginning of the year watching and learning is not always a bad thing. As much as we like to crap on our coaching,I believe they make the right decisions most of the time in these situations.

Except of course when they drafted a guy that played 2 games of C in his entire college career and threw him in as C first game for the whole season. I will never forget that when it comes to Tomlin’s legacy.

Right now Tomlin thinks he has the team to win it all, so is trying to win now. The fact that he won’t be fired for losing games, should allow him to start the youngn’s with an eye toward the future.

I will add one other thing to your guys discussion. While I wanted Jones and Porter to play game one last year and think the same way with Frazier and Fantanu this season, I watched a good interview with Jones this training camp.
He sounded very sincere in saying he was definitely not ready to start game one. He needed to get used to the speed and actually the in’s and out‘s of playing pro ball.
There’s probably so much more than actually just playing ball as a young rookie coming in. From knowing your teammates ,to film study,to living somewhere new,etc,etc. And every case is going to be different. He said when he was put in for staring it was the right time for him. It just took him awhile to get comfortable.
These guys are in for 10 year careers. I think a few games in the beginning of the year watching and learning is not always a bad thing. As much as we like to crap on our coaching,I believe they make the right decisions most of the time in these situations.

Except of course when they drafted a guy that played 2 games of C in his entire college career and threw him in as C first game for the whole season. I will never forget that when it comes to Tomlin’s legacy.

Very good post Steelmann.

I heard the B. Jones interview too. I still think had he been acclimated sooner, he would have been ready sooner. They were switching him often durring training camp so he couldn’t really focus on a single position. I understand diversity in the multi-position theory, but also understand that a player should be the best at their position 1st, then the diversity.

I don’t watch much for other teams in the NFL, but you never hear much of other teams diversity as much as you do a Coach Tomlin lead team. I think over diversity for each player is a little to much, where as a backup should have a lot of diversity.

Moore was jumped all over his rookie train ing camp. Even the last pre-season game they had him play RT. Come Monday naming starting line up…. You guessed it…… LT Dan Moore.

Salute the nation

Any depth chart before the opener is really meaningless, though it can be used to motivate.

Very good post Steelmann.

I heard the B. Jones interview too. I still think had he been acclimated sooner, he would have been ready sooner. They were switching him often durring training camp so he couldn’t really focus on a single position. I understand diversity in the multi-position theory, but also understand that a player should be the best at their position 1st, then the diversity.

I don’t watch much for other teams in the NFL, but you never hear much of other teams diversity as much as you do a Coach Tomlin lead team. I think over diversity for each player is a little to much, where as a backup should have a lot of diversity.

Moore was jumped all over his rookie train ing camp. Even the last pre-season game they had him play RT. Come Monday naming starting line up…. You guessed it…… LT Dan Moore.

Salute the nation
I think you and I have throughout the years been critical of the multi position type of pick by our Steeler draft team. Especially when it happens in the first 3 rounds. Let them play the natural dominant position that they have played their football lives.
One more thing will say about Jones. He had a good rookie year. I did think he faded in the end a bit. Broderick didn’t have a ton of experience in college. He now knows more about game shape etc. I think great things are coming his way.

I think you and I have throughout the years been critical of the multi position type of pick by our Steeler draft team. Especially when it happens in the first 3 rounds. Let them play the natural dominant position that they have played their football lives.
One more thing will say about Jones. He had a good rookie year. I did think he faded in the end a bit. Broderick didn’t have a ton of experience in college. He now knows more about game shape etc. I think great things are coming his way.
Longer seasons for these rookies never shocks me when they fade down the stretch. Not to give the team excuses but I think besides getting the rookies acclimated to the speed of the game and ready to make less mistakes they are keeping the long seasons in mind with their preparation of them into permanent lineups.

Which also makes roster depth critical.

C is in the shadows but I think the position might be in need of a vet. Not really sold on Herbig as a support piece.

Longer seasons for these rookies never shocks me when they fade down the stretch. Not to give the team excuses but I think besides getting the rookies acclimated to the speed of the game and ready to make less mistakes they are keeping the long seasons in mind with their preparation of them into permanent lineups.

Which also makes roster depth critical.

C is in the shadows but I think the position might be in need of a vet. Not really sold on Herbig as a support piece.
Agree Slash. While I like to be optimistic,i am not one of the fans thinking we are going on a SB run. Many new faces,new OC,it all takes time to Gel. Coupled with a hard late schedule. What really hurts is the Kenny Pickett pick now. If he would have panned out to be say a top 10-15 QB in this stage of his career we would have been sitting pretty for the future. It’s a real bummer for me that we have absolutely no idea what we have at the QB position now or in the future.

Wilson isn't participating because he thinks he is a diva, and Tomlin will treat him as such. I don't like it but that is Tomlin. He loves @ss kissers.

...or it could have been planned to get a good look at Fields with the over hyped calf injury to Wilson.

It's working out either way,but Wilson needs to get in and get reps soon.

Agree Slash. While I like to be optimistic,i am not one of the fans thinking we are going on a SB run. Many new faces,new OC,it all takes time to Gel. Coupled with a hard late schedule. What really hurts is the Kenny Pickett pick now. If he would have panned out to be say a top 10-15 QB in this stage of his career we would have been sitting pretty for the future. It’s a real bummer for me that we have absolutely no idea what we have at the QB position now or in the future.
True it sucks not having a franchise, Ben was great.

I think we will get there in the near future. In the mean time I am excited to see if Wilson can recapture some of that magic.

Last edited:
True it suck’s not having a franchise, Ben was great.

I think we will get there in the near future. In the mean time I am excited to see if Wilson can recapture some of that magic.
At least we know Wilson has played on the biggest stage. If the running game and pass blocking can get above the line or at least really good in the run, it will make his job a hell of a lot easier.