• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trouble at the mistake on the Lake

Blacks are also responsible for 80% of violent crimes. Perhaps that should be adressed as a cause of why first. I agree we need more police accountability and I think that LEOs are far to militant and resort to escalation of force way to often, but the fact remains until we lower the rate of young black men committing violent crimes we will not be able to lower the rate they are killed by police trying to apprehend them for those crimes.

Not totally true. The vast majority of blacks , 12% of the population, do not commit violent crimes. Assuming a 50/50 split between men and women, the vast majority of violent crimes are committed by men and not women, so we're down to 6%. However not all black men commit violent crimes, it tends to be young black men. Assuming it's the younger half of the population of black men, say under 35 years old, now we're down to 3% of the population committing 80% of the violent crimes. Errrr....

Statistics you say ? ************ ill be glad to offer you some statistics.....

A study by a University of California, Davis professor found “evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being black, unarmed, and shot by police is about 3.49 times the probability of being white, unarmed, and shot by police on average.” ..
Whats the ratio of unarmed whites to unarmed blacks killed by police that totally disregarded direct orders from officers and acted a fool until shot?

The root of the problem. Not the police. Not racism.

21271008_10214315402861830_3700392276219044704_n.jpg

I've referred to this young man we mentor. A black boy that I coached in football. Dad's in jail. Got out, lasted a few weeks, right back in. Mom was in jail. Out now. 6 or 7 kids (I really don't know how many) by 3 or 4 different men. This boy (let's call him Jerry) has been taken care of by his Aunt (his mom's younger sister) since she was in high school. She's been his legal guardian. Has done a good job, my hat's off to her. But she's fatiguing. She has her own family. He gets shuttled around. Earlier this year, his aunt thought it a good idea to give him back to his mom. Thought she was turning her life around.

We pick him up on weekends during the school year (2 a month on average) and he spends countless days with us during summers. So I begin picking him up at his mom's apartment. 2 or 3 pieces of furniture. Every time I'm there, there are different adult men in the house. Dropped him off once, knocking on the door. Knocking. Knocking. Five minutes later the step father opens the door, two kids in diapers at his feet. Sunday afternoon last fall during an NFL game. A cloud of marijuana smoke comes rolling out onto the landing.

Two weeks ago I get a call from his aunt. He's been accused of something grave I don't wish to discuss here. But it resulted from the situation his mother put him in. Her not being responsible for him or looking after him. And left alone at 14, a young man who's not had enough guidance "may" have made some wrong decisions. We don't know. Last Tuesday I volunteered to join the aunt and Jerry at Child Protective Services which got involved. I thought the meeting was at CPS. Instead, it was at the Special Victims Crime Unit. My heart sunk. In the meeting was a CPS professional and a detective. It's a criminal investigation.

He says he's innocent. My heart believes him. My head questions.

I also believe in the religion of football and organized sports. If any young man needs that family away from home, it's him. He's a freshman now in high school. But due to being shuttled around, wasn't in the summer work outs with his high school's football program. He calls me asking if I can pay for him to play on a youth football team. I "thought" he'd been doing the high school workouts. I told him he needed that high school program and structure and I'd make calls. It's a very good program here in MD, many time state champions. I called my high school's coaches, got names and numbers and called their JV coach. Vouched up and down for him, that he's a good kid. And he truly is. Coach says you need to fill out these five forms and get a physical before he plays, but he's welcome to come try out.

He goes to practice the next day, stands on the sidelines. Aunt's lagging getting the paperwork done. My wife sets up time to take him to get a physical. Next day I'm on the road and she texts me that he missed practice. The SECOND one. He had been up all night playing video games, slept in until 2 and didn't feel like going. I was furious. I'd never been angry with him, have only showed him love. I texted him verbatim - "I'm pretty upset with you. You ask people to help you and they do, but you won't help yourself. People are gonna stop helping you. You go to practice today and every day here on NO EXCUSES. Don't reply with reasons or excuses. Go to practice today." He replied in minutes "I am at practice."

The next evening I get off of my plane and am walking to the parking garage and the Aunt calls. Says Jerry got jumped after practice. Didn't have a whole lot of details, something about he passed a group of kids fighting, then they turned on him...and Jerry pulled out a knife.

I stopped walking. Just stunned. This happy, smiling, vibrant loving kid pulled a knife? I gathered my thoughts and said "wait, what...? Did you say he pulled out a knife?" She said "yes. His mother had given him a knife due to the accusations flying around about [the other incident CPS is looking into] and wanted him to be able to protect himself."

I was furious. Speechless. Felt helpless. I said to her (she thought him having a knife was just fine) that is inexcusable. You don't give a 14 year old a knife. What the ****? If he pulls it out, ONLY bad can result, nothing good.

A couple days passed and Jerry calls me. He says I decided not to play football for ABC High School this year. I told him that's not what I'd heard. I shared with him that his Aunt told me the school prohibited him from playing for the team and he's one strike away from being suspended. If he rolls his eyes in school, he's gone. So then "he says" he did so well in the tryout that some of the other defensive backs on the team cornered him in the locker room threatening him and he felt scared and pulled out the knife. Now I'm not buying his story. I told him I was pissed, that he made a fool out of me with those coaches in this community, and I challenged him "Why is trouble always finding you? At some point in time you've gotta look in the mirror and realize it's your words or your actions." He got angry with me for the first time, said "Oh so you don't believe me now?" and hung up the phone. I let it go.

We had him over to the house again this weekend 2 days later. First thing he did was walk in and give me a hug...a real, strong hug. I love the kid. But I think he's lost. He's close to being lost. The older he gets, the more dangerous and costly are the mistakes he's making. And I can't get through to him.

I've spoken with two other men (coaches) who have had an impact in his life and we're huddling trying to figure something out. One suggestion is CPS needs to remove him. Another is one of our families need to take him in. He's asked me and my wife many times to take him. I would. But we've been advised against it and my wife has valid reasons for saying no that I have to honor.

If you've read this far, you get the point. This is a good kid. He really is. Talented. A smile that lights up a room. Funny. Hasn't done well in school because of where he's been, but COULD with guidance and structure. He's craving love. Someone to care for him. Hell the kid often sneaks up behind me and kisses me when here. Yet his environment is poisoning him. And slowly it's eating away at this good kid. Mom's giving him a knife, encouraging violence. No encouragement to study. No steady bed time. Men come and go in his home. He's asked to be the babysitter while mom parties (he's told me he resents this and she uses him). He sees his Aunt no longer wants him. He lives in a world with no regular bed, no parent or guardian that loves him.

To make matters worse, during the time he's been with his mom, she's been evicted 3 times. Lost the apartment, moved in with her brother. After a week, they fought, he kicked her out. She moved to another apartment, lasted a week or two, I don't know. I've picked him up and dropped him off at each. Last time I picked him up, it was at an Extended Stay where she holed up for the night with all the kids. This past weekend we got him at his Aunt's.

If he had a mom and a dad and a bed and a home and some structure, it would be the end of it.

The culture is rotten in too many of these kids lives. It's no wonder they end up where they do.

This is coming from one of the top ten wealthiest counties in the country. I can't imagine what Chicago or SE DC are like.

Last edited:

Liberal policies caused that. When you keep giving a wild animal free food it becomes lazy and no longer fends for itself.
Same applies to humans.

In contrast President Reagan did more for blacks by doing nothing at all:

The African-American columnist Joseph Perkins has calculated that black unemployment fell from 19.5 percent in 1983 to 11.4 percent in 1989. The income of black-owned businesses rose almost one-third between 1982 and 1987. The black middle class grew from 3.6 million to 4.8 million during the Reagan years, while the cash income of black households (adjusted for inflation) rose by 12 percent. By contrast, the median income of black households fell by 2.2 percent during the Obama years from 2010 to 2013 Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...hs-refresher-course-ronald-reagan-lee-edwards

I've referred to this young man we mentor. A black boy that I coached in football. Dad's in jail. Got out, lasted a few weeks, right back in. Mom was in jail. Out now. 6 or 7 kids (I really don't know how many) by 3 or 4 different men. This boy (let's call him Jerry) has been taken care of by his Aunt (his mom's younger sister) since she was in high school. She's been his legal guardian. Has done a good job, my hat's off to her. But she's fatiguing. She has her own family. He gets shuttled around. Earlier this year, his aunt thought it a good idea to give him back to his mom. Thought she was turning her life around.

We pick him up on weekends during the school year (2 a month on average) and he spends countless days with us during summers. So I begin picking him up at his mom's apartment. 2 or 3 pieces of furniture. Every time I'm there, there are different adult men in the house. Dropped him off once, knocking on the door. Knocking. Knocking. Five minutes later the step father opens the door, two kids in diapers at his feet. Sunday afternoon last fall during an NFL game. A cloud of marijuana smoke comes rolling out onto the landing.

Two weeks ago I get a call from his aunt. He's been accused of something grave I don't wish to discuss here. But it resulted from the situation his mother put him in. Her not being responsible for him or looking after him. And left alone at 14, a young man who's not had enough guidance "may" have made some wrong decisions. We don't know. Last Tuesday I volunteered to join the aunt and Jerry at Child Protective Services which got involved. I thought the meeting was at CPS. Instead, it was at the Special Victims Crime Unit. My heart sunk. In the meeting was a CPS professional and a detective. It's a criminal investigation.

He says he's innocent. My heart believes him. My head questions.

I also believe in the religion of football and organized sports. If any young man needs that family away from home, it's him. He's a freshman now in high school. But due to being shuttled around, wasn't in the summer work outs with his high school's football program. He calls me asking if I can pay for him to play on a youth football team. I "thought" he'd been doing the high school workouts. I told him he needed that high school program and structure and I'd make calls. It's a very good program here in MD, many time state champions. I called my high school's coaches, got names and numbers and called their JV coach. Vouched up and down for him, that he's a good kid. And he truly is. Coach says you need to fill out these five forms and get a physical before he plays, but he's welcome to come try out.

He goes to practice the next day, stands on the sidelines. Aunt's lagging getting the paperwork done. My wife sets up time to take him to get a physical. Next day I'm on the road and she texts me that he missed practice. The SECOND one. He had been up all night playing video games, slept in until 2 and didn't feel like going. I was furious. I'd never been angry with him, have only showed him love. I texted him verbatim - "I'm pretty upset with you. You ask people to help you and they do, but you won't help yourself. People are gonna stop helping you. You go to practice today and every day here on NO EXCUSES. Don't reply with reasons or excuses. Go to practice today." He replied in minutes "I am at practice."

The next evening I get off of my plane and am walking to the parking garage and the Aunt calls. Says Jerry got jumped after practice. Didn't have a whole lot of details, something about he passed a group of kids fighting, then they turned on him...and Jerry pulled out a knife.

I stopped walking. Just stunned. This happy, smiling, vibrant loving kid pulled a knife? I gathered my thoughts and said "wait, what...? Did you say he pulled out a knife?" She said "yes. His mother had given him a knife due to the accusations flying around about [the other incident CPS is looking into] and wanted him to be able to protect himself."

I was furious. Speechless. Felt helpless. I said to her (she thought him having a knife was just fine) that is inexcusable. You don't give a 14 year old a knife. What the ****? If he pulls it out, ONLY bad can result, nothing good.

A couple days passed and Jerry calls me. He says I decided not to play football for ABC High School this year. I told him that's not what I'd heard. I shared with him that his Aunt told me the school prohibited him from playing for the team and he's one strike away from being suspended. If he rolls his eyes in school, he's gone. So then "he says" he did so well in the tryout that some of the other defensive backs on the team cornered him in the locker room threatening him and he felt scared and pulled out the knife. Now I'm not buying his story. I told him I was pissed, that he made a fool out of me with those coaches in this community, and I challenged him "Why is trouble always finding you? At some point in time you've gotta look in the mirror and realize it's your words or your actions." He got angry with me for the first time, said "Oh so you don't believe me now?" and hung up the phone. I let it go.

We had him over to the house again this weekend 2 days later. First thing he did was walk in and give me a hug...a real, strong hug. I love the kid. But I think he's lost. He's close to being lost. The older he gets, the more dangerous and costly are the mistakes he's making. And I can't get through to him.

I've spoken with two other men (coaches) who have had an impact in his life and we're huddling trying to figure something out. One suggestion is CPS needs to remove him. Another is one of our families need to take him in. He's asked me and my wife many times to take him. I would. But we've been advised against it and my wife has valid reasons for saying no that I have to honor.

If you've read this far, you get the point. This is a good kid. He really is. Talented. A smile that lights up a room. Funny. Hasn't done well in school because of where he's been, but COULD with guidance and structure. He's craving love. Someone to care for him. Hell the kid often sneaks up behind me and kisses me when here. Yet his environment is poisoning him. And slowly it's eating away at this good kid. Mom's giving him a knife, encouraging violence. No encouragement to study. No steady bed time. Men come and go in his home. He's asked to be the babysitter while mom parties (he's told me he resents this and she uses him). He sees his Aunt no longer wants him. He lives in a world with no regular bed, no parent or guardian that loves him.

To make matters worse, during the time he's been with his mom, she's been evicted 3 times. Lost the apartment, moved in with her brother. After a week, they fought, he kicked her out. She moved to another apartment, lasted a week or two, I don't know. I've picked him up and dropped him off at each. Last time I picked him up, it was at an Extended Stay where she holed up for the night with all the kids. This past weekend we got him at his Aunt's.

If he had a mom and a dad and a bed and a home and some structure, it would be the end of it.

The culture is rotten in too many of these kids lives. It's no wonder they end up where they do.

This is coming from one of the top ten wealthiest counties in the country. I can't imagine what Chicago or SE DC are like.

Sounds like Mom needs a Pap smear and a slap upside the head. "Ah, Indy! You're condoning violence against women!" No, I'm condoning be a ******* parent. A good one.

Speaking of which, I had to turn the channel tonight. ESPN was on and The Six is on with Michael and Jemele. Once again, for the 300th time, they are going on and on about police violence. This time it's not Krapernick, it's Michael Bennett and his claims of excessive force being used on him after the McGregor fight.

Fix...the....community.

The problem is not the police. The problem is the culture in that community. Stop committing violence at such a high rate, targeting will decrease. Do not ask for targeting to stop if your community plans to continue to act with such a high level of violence.

Speaking of which, I had to turn the channel tonight. ESPN was on and The Six is on with Michael and Jemele. Once again, for the 300th time, they are going on and on about police violence. This time it's not Krapernick, it's Michael Bennett and his claims of excessive force being used on him after the McGregor fight.

Fix...the....community.

The problem is not the police. The problem is the culture in that community. Stop committing violence at such a high rate, targeting will decrease. Do not ask for targeting to stop if your community plans to continue to act with such a high level of violence.

How dare you ask that of them!!!! It's whitey's fault, always has been, always will be.

How dare you ask that of them!!!! It's whitey's fault, always has been, always will be.

It is racist to hold black people to white peoples' standard of behavior.

I will say this about Bennett. It appears that he is handling this whole thing in the correct way. He was mistakenly identified as a possible culprit of a crime. He was cuffed, put face down on the pavement and had a gun pointed at his head, but from everything I have seen and heard about it he complied with all of the officers requests even though he knew he was being falsely accused. He attempted to explain to them that they had the wrong guy but he didn't lose his cool and he did not display any violence. If he would have fought them, aside from maybe getting shot, he would have come off poorly even though he was innocent. Instead he was compliant and respectful. As a result, the two cops come out looking like the ********.

Now he's telling his story in the media and he is making it clear that he knows all cops are not bad but rather that these two were in the wrong and probably profiled him based on his race. And he's probably right in this case. This is the best way a guy can handle this...let the overzealous overly aggressive cops come out poorly in the situation, not yourself. I think this type of thing goes way farther in having a productive conversation about racial profiling than if he would have hit a cop or been a belligerent guy yelling that all cops are racist pigs. Because of how he handled himself, I think some people who are on the fence about this issue are more likely to look at Bennett and go, "Ya know, he's right, he didn't do anything to deserve that" than they would if he would have gone on a rampage during the arrest. That's how productive discussions get started.

Last edited:
I wonder why the cops were so agressive and cautious?

Sorry - reply to Bennett posts.

There are massive cultural issues that nobody is discussing in public.
Although approximately 50 percent of the students at Hand Middle School identify as African American, India was one of the few African Americans in her honors and advanced classes during the 2015–2016 and 2016–2017 school years.

According to the lawsuit, what followed was physical assaults: pushing and shoving, water thrown in her face, two chipped teeth, and a beating with a bottle. On one occasion “a group of three female students attempted to push India down a flight of stairs. These same students had verbally accosted India on prior occasions and continued to do so after the assault.”

The motivation all appears to be racial. On top of the physical bullying, the lawsuit says the “verbal bullying and harassment began almost immediately.” Taunts included “Oreo,” “white girl,” “wannabe white girl,” and “black white *****.” The lawsuit adds that she was “generally maligned” for “acting white.”

This is no anomaly -
In 2006 Norwood published a paper that looked at the phenomenon of how “black students who attend school regularly, participate in the classroom experience … are, not uncommonly, accused of ‘acting white.’” She writes:

Black students who attend school regularly, participate in the classroom experience — by either participating in class and/or turning in homework, take “AP” classes, and who perform well on tests are, not uncommonly, accused of “acting white.” This happened to me as a child, it has happened to my children and it has happened to black youth I have interviewed throughout the country. This Article explores the practice within the black community of blacks who attack — verbally and sometimes physically — other blacks simply because the latter perform well in school.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...t+News)&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner

It it surprising that these kids continue to cause trouble as adults?