• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Truck prices

I was looking for a new used truck in 2020. I have a 2004 f150 xlt 4 door that I completely restored, so I wanted an everyday driver. long story short after a couple months looking we finally find a 2012 king ranch with about 160000 miles on it but the truck is super clean one owner. they sell it to me for 14000 out the door. few weeks later I was driving when the cruise and speedometer quit working I take it to ford and they say the lead frame was shot, it was on recall but I juuuuuuust missed the mileage. I'm talking to the mechanic about a couple other things I wanted done while the truck was there when a salesman comes up to me and starts talking small talk about my truck.

I'm trying to figure out if I got a good deal on this truck when they offer me 25000 for it as it was. since I still had my 04 I was seriously considering it, thank god my wife was there to talk me down. I paid 3500 to get the tranny fixed and and a couple other small things addressed. truck has about 225000 miles on it and still couldn't replace it for the 17500 I have in it.

Working in construction.....the amount of guys I know that have a newer typical F-250 4 door diesel or Toyota Tacoma etc that .paid over 80’000$ is scary. Some of the monthly payments for these trucks just boggles my mind. 1200$ + a month. 6-7 year loans. Absolutely nuts. And that was with lower interest rates. Couple that with these frigging gas prices. The costs of just getting by is starting to be crazy. I have no idea how people substain this if things just keep on going the way things are going.

Working in construction.....the amount of guys I know that have a newer typical F-250 4 door diesel or Toyota Tacoma etc that .paid over 80’000$ is scary. Some of the monthly payments for these trucks just boggles my mind. 1200$ + a month. 6-7 year loans. Absolutely nuts. And that was with lower interest rates. Couple that with these frigging gas prices. The costs of just getting by is starting to be crazy. I have no idea how people substain this if things just keep on going the way things are going.
Company fired the sales guys in my office. One had a fairly new Dodge/Ram truck and I heard his payment was $1200 a month. The $450 I pay for the Luxury Ranger is a stretch. Hope he finds another job quickly.

Automakers no longer sell small, inexpensive, fuel efficient cars. They claim Americans don't buy them. They make more profit on larger, more powerful cars. Nowadays every car has 2 large tv screens in your face. Navigation, road keep assist on every car. Estimates claim these gadgets cost anywhere from $8000 to $14000 per vehicle. I don't want any of it. Base model trucks cost around 48000. Imagine stripping the gadgets out and paying 34000.

How much of that software won't be " supported " after 3 years? Just like your smartphone, obsolete in 3 years.

Automakers no longer sell small, inexpensive, fuel efficient cars. They claim Americans don't buy them. They make more profit on larger, more powerful cars. Nowadays every car has 2 large tv screens in your face. Navigation, road keep assist on every car. Estimates claim these gadgets cost anywhere from $8000 to $14000 per vehicle. I don't want any of it. Base model trucks cost around 48000. Imagine stripping the gadgets out and paying 34000.

How much of that software won't be " supported " after 3 years? Just like your smartphone, obsolete in 3 years.
A lot of that stuff is required by the govt. Backup cameras, traction control, stability control, tire pressure monitors, all mandated by the govt.
Someone posted an article on one of the Ranger boards about why small trucks aren’t small any more. The govt has a formula that calculates the required mpg based on the vehicle’s footprint. The smaller it is the higher the mpg has to be, so they can’t make a truck the size of an 84 Ranger or Toyota because they can’t make the mpg high enough.

Yea. I read about that. The thing is, GM is in partnership with Wuling, a Chinese company. Reports claim GM sells more in China than they do here. SAIC ( the partnership) makes a truck with 4 doors, and folding sides that fold flat. The truck gets 61 mpg.

I've been driving a 2023 Jeep Wagoneer for a few weeks. That thing is nice, but I wouldn't want to have to pay for one. I keep thinking pricing, incentives etc. are going to improve, but if the UAW gets a 40% pay raise, or whatever they are asking for, who knows what's going to happen. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is 23 years old, has 260+K miles on it and just had to have some welding work done on the frame. That's one thing I don't really like about living up north. I'm not excited about the prospect of buying something new or used, but that day is coming, probably sooner than I had hoped. I've been renting for over a month and will say it's been nice driving some newer autos.

The government protecting us from ourselves. Since I bought my last vehicle, the wife has gone through 4, an Infiniti QX4, 2 Acura MDX's and now a Honda Pilot all jam packed with all the bells and whistles to the point she no longer knows how to back up a car without them. Making us dumber through innovation.

Yea. I read about that. The thing is, GM is in partnership with Wuling, a Chinese company. Reports claim GM sells more in China than they do here. SAIC ( the partnership) makes a truck with 4 doors, and folding sides that fold flat. The truck gets 61 mpg.
I wonder what the chances are that those standards get dialed back from a little Chinese money placed in the right hands?

I've been driving a 2023 Jeep Wagoneer for a few weeks. That thing is nice, but I wouldn't want to have to pay for one. I keep thinking pricing, incentives etc. are going to improve, but if the UAW gets a 40% pay raise, or whatever they are asking for, who knows what's going to happen. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is 23 years old, has 260+K miles on it and just had to have some welding work done on the frame. That's one thing I don't really like about living up north. I'm not excited about the prospect of buying something new or used, but that day is coming, probably sooner than I had hoped. I've been renting for over a month and will say it's been nice driving some newer autos.
Don't buy any new/used vehicles right now. Give it about 6 or 8 months. By then, Biden's polices will have had enough time to make some real impact on the economy. You'll probably be able to buy two cars by next year.

"Why buy new when used will do."

That was a sign on a used car lot that operated for years in my area. I have lived my that.

Found it.

A guy around the corner from me has two of those 1980s Toyota trucks that we all wanted in high school. I look at them a lot and envy him.

I drive my 2001 Dodge Ram, and probably will for ever. Screw the government and its idiotic plans.

Found it.

So, these stupid hacks in DC decided what MPG the cars must have, or they gubermint gets a cash bonus? Perfect. Screw the US citizen, damage an industry, and make more on hidden taxes.

Leadership

A guy around the corner from me has two of those 1980s Toyota trucks that we all wanted in high school. I look at them a lot and envy him.

I drive my 2001 Dodge Ram, and probably will for ever. Screw the government and its idiotic plans.
Like my 2001 ford ranger that I drive now. . I’ve had all sorts of trucks ,from an F-450 super duty,350,250xlt,dodge even a s-10. It was nice getting a newer truck,till you have to pay for it. Remember driving my new mini van off the lot when I was a lot younger with 4 little kids. It felt so great. All the neighbors checking it out. By the time the 4 years of payments were up,we were so sick and tired of that monthly payment,I swore never again. The thing is.....you always tell yourself....no problem,I’ll pay it off early. Easy.
Then 3 pairs of braces for the kids,transmission goes....new roof, this goes,that goes. Never ending.

So, these stupid hacks in DC decided what MPG the cars must have, or they gubermint gets a cash bonus? Perfect. Screw the US citizen, damage an industry, and make more on hidden taxes.

Leadership
This is why Congress needs to vote on that stuff and not unelected bureaucrats and activists.
If you’re the UN or a third world country you get diesel Toyotas with no electronics or emissions controls because, well, they’re more reliable and easier to service.

I was thinking about a new truck, regular cab, long bed the only things I wanted that was considered options were V8 and power/cruise control package. They are all over $40K for what is a basic work truck. Bought a 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 crew cab with everything on it for what the work truck would cost me new. The government ***** up everything it comes in contact with.

I just looked on line, the FL-1995 that my truck takes was $10.97 3 months ago and is now $25.90! FJB!!!!!!!
I found mine for $5.44 on Rock Auto but you have to pay shipping. Might work out if you get more than one.

Look on eBay for inexpensive items with a good (98% or better) seller rating. Many times it's new, old stock with free shipping. If you lose 5 bucks, no biggie.
eBay is slightly less expensive and Rock Auto with shipping is actually a bit more. Guess I need to buy a Tesla. :ROFLMAO:

This is why Congress needs to vote on that stuff and not unelected bureaucrats and activists.
If you’re the UN or a third world country you get diesel Toyotas with no electronics or emissions controls because, well, they’re more reliable and easier to service.

Hey, Australia is not a third world country;). We get the Landcruiser 70 series here, and the joke is that the reason it's called the 70 series is it hasn't changed since the 1970's. The latest model even had Its GVM increased to get into the light truck category, in order to avoid having to include safety features that apply to vehicles under certain GVM. Yet, it's still more expensive than many more modern equivalent vehicles because it's a Toyota. You think your utes (trucks) are expensive, you should see prices here. Unless you're buying Chinese junk, we pay the same for 1 tonne payload utes as you pay for 2 tonne payload utes (trucks), and then only if it's a Mitsubishi Triton (L200) or Nissan Navara. Toyota, Isuzu, Mazda, Ford Ranger and VW 1 tonners start at about $45-50K USD for base models.