• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Truck prices

Can anyone explain to me the outrageous costs of trucks right now? It doesn’t make logical sense… a friend of mine bought a used SUV because the equivalent Truck to his year and model was 10,000 more expensive

Here is a video about new trucks.. DIC ought to pay attention .. that S10 might be a goldmine these days…

Something isn’t right here… trucks aren’t fundamentally more expensive to make than comparable sized vehicles…

Trucks, food, energy, insurance, shelter.. everything is up!

I can explain it. It's called the Biden economy and polices. Maybe these trucks produce too environmental waste are not energy efficient enough ... according to some.

Hey, Australia is not a third world country;). We get the Landcruiser 70 series here, and the joke is that the reason it's called the 70 series is it hasn't changed since the 1970's. The latest model even had Its GVM increased to get into the light truck category, in order to avoid having to include safety features that apply to vehicles under certain GVM. Yet, it's still more expensive than many more modern equivalent vehicles because it's a Toyota. You think your utes (trucks) are expensive, you should see prices here. Unless you're buying Chinese junk, we pay the same for 1 tonne payload utes as you pay for 2 tonne payload utes (trucks), and then only if it's a Mitsubishi Triton (L200) or Nissan Navara. Toyota, Isuzu, Mazda, Ford Ranger and VW 1 tonners start at about $45-50K USD for base models.
I belong to a number of Ford Ranger groups and a lot of people wish we could get the diesel and a manual transmission in the States like they offer in other countries, but we can’t because of emissions regulations. I’m not a fan of diesels because it gets cold where I live but I prefer a manual transmission.

I belong to a number of Ford Ranger groups and a lot of people wish we could get the diesel and a manual transmission in the States like they offer in other countries, but we can’t because of emissions regulations. I’m not a fan of diesels because it gets cold where I live but I prefer a manual transmission.
I have the Ram 2500 diesel, six speed manual. No issues with the cold of Wyoming. Just leave it plugged in over night in winter.

I'm looking at a Toyota Tacoma and trying to find one with a 6 speed manual transmission but they are hard to find. I might have to order it. I'll be paying it off until I retire but what the hell. They're not going to get any less expensive.

Diesel, the sludge of refining gasoline, is 50 cents a gallon more expensive than unleaded regular these days.

More energy bang for buck with diesel.

:mad: Stopped in Walmart for some CDC electrical spray and noticed my oil filter still had a shelf sticker of $9.94, only one on the shelf and it was taped closed. I opened the box to make sure it was a new, undamaged filter before ringing it up. Came up $26.85 and they would not honor the shelf price. Found a Fram filter at HD for less than $8, although I'm not sold on them being the same quality.

:mad: Stopped in Walmart for some CDC electrical spray and noticed my oil filter still had a shelf sticker of $9.94, only one on the shelf and it was taped closed. I opened the box to make sure it was a new, undamaged filter before ringing it up. Came up $26.85 and they would not honor the shelf price. Found a Fram filter at HD for less than $8, although I'm not sold on them being the same quality.
It’s been widely known among gearheads that the basic Fram filters are garbage. Step up to the Tough Gard is OE quality but they cost more than the OE units. The Super Tech house brand filters at Walmart are actually quite good but they didn’t have the one I needed. I think I’ll end up just buying several at a time from Rock Auto.

It’s been widely known among gearheads that the basic Fram filters are garbage. Step up to the Tough Gard is OE quality but they cost more than the OE units. The Super Tech house brand filters at Walmart are actually quite good but they didn’t have the one I needed. I think I’ll end up just buying several at a time from Rock Auto.
My go to filter is Napa Gold. Thoughts on them?

I religiously change every 5K, 14 quarts worth, so I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference. 300K on the clock and still going strong.
NAPA Gold is more than the MotorCraft.

The latest Ranger Raptor is only petrol over here. The Ranger Raptor was on the radar for my next car, as it comes standard with proper recovery points (not tow points) and front and rear diff locks - but they went and ruined it by putting a fuel guzzling V6 petrol engine under the bonnet (instead of a diesel) with a pissant 80 litre fuel tank, which means it lacks the range for week long off road trips into the mountain ranges and carrying extra fuel in jerry cans is too high risk for me due to petrol's combustibility. My next car (which probably won't be for at least 10 years, given I have only just finished a three year journey kitting out my current car for touring and bush bashing) now will probably be a 300 Series Toyota Landcruiser GR Sport, or I'll go retro and get an 80 series Landcrusier if I can find a low mileage one that hasn't been thrashed.

Most cars here have automatic transmissions - in utes/pickups it's mainly low end tradie utes that have manual transmissions. Once you start moving into the more expensive recreational 4by dual cab ute ranges they are generally automatic only. I prefer automatic - less likely to stall and easier to restart going up a steep, rutted hill, less likely to get water in it on river crossings, and nowadays automatics frequently have higher gearing ratios in first and second gear in low range and paddle shift options, which I find makes them much easier to control when going down steep, rutted, slippery slopes.

Last edited:
The latest Ranger Raptor is only petrol over here. The Ranger Raptor was on the radar for my next car, as it comes standard with proper recovery points (not tow points) and front and rear diff locks - but they went and ruined it by putting a fuel guzzling V6 petrol engine under the bonnet (instead of a diesel) with a pissant 80 litre fuel tank, which means it lacks the range for week long off road trips into the mountain ranges and carrying extra fuel in jerry cans is too high risk for me due to petrol's combustibility. My next car (which probably won't be for at least 10 years, given I have only just finished a three year journey kitting out my current car for touring and bush bashing) now will probably be a 300 Series Toyota Landcruiser GR Sport, or I'll go retro and get an 80 series Landcrusier if I can find a low mileage one that hasn't been thrashed.

Most cars here have automatic transmissions - in utes/pickups it's mainly low end tradie utes that have manual transmissions. Once you start moving into the more expensive recreational 4by dual cab ute ranges they are generally automatic only. I prefer automatic - less likely to stall and easier to restart going up a steep, rutted hill, less likely to get water in it on river crossings, and nowadays automatics frequently have higher gearing ratios in first and second gear in low range and paddle shift options, which I find makes them much easier to control when going down steep, rutted, slippery slopes.
Bush bashing has a totally different meaning 'round these parts.

Bush bashing has a totally different meaning 'round these parts.
You should see what the name of my car (Pajero Sport) means in Spanish (there's a reason it's called a Montero Sport in Spanish speaking countries)🤣.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned, conspiracy Wig feels he should point out that new combustion vehicle prices are coming more and more in line with EV prices... And in some cases, exceeding them.

Weird.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned, conspiracy Wig feels he should point out that new combustion vehicle prices are coming more and more in line with EV prices... And in some cases, exceeding them.

Weird.
That’s the idea.

I have the Ram 2500 diesel, six speed manual. No issues with the cold of Wyoming. Just leave it plugged in over night in winter.
We ran all kinds of Ford and Dodge diesel feed trucks in Montana, where the winter temps routinely reach -40. Just have to plan accordingly, like keeping them plugged in when not running.

Diesel, the sludge of refining gasoline, is 50 cents a gallon more expensive than unleaded regular these days.
$1 to $1.40 more in this neck of the woods.

Yinz know what my favorite vehicle is called. Don’t you?
It called ….
PAID FOR
That is why I still own a 1990 Toyota 4-Runner. the old girl has almost a million miles on her, and only had a single engine and transmission transplant, as well as front, rear and transfer case rebuilds over the years. I expect it to see another 500k miles in my lifetime. I have less than 20% of the replacement cost in rebuilding it. Take care of your vehicles and they will take care of you.