• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Two picks signed..

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers Sign Two Draft Picks
Posted 22 minutes ago
Daniel McCullers and Rob Blanchflower are the first of the 2014 Draft Class to sign.

VIEW GALLERY | 18 Photos
PHOTOS: 2014 Rookie Mini Camp - Draft Picks
The Steelers have signed two of their selections in the 2014 NFL Draft, sixth-round pick, defensive lineman Daniel McCullers and seventh-round pick, tight end Rob Blanchflower. Financial terms of the four-year deals were not disclosed.

McCullers (6-7, 352), who was the 215th overall pick, played collegiately at the University of Tennessee. In two seasons at Tennessee, he started 19-of-22 games and recorded 72 tackles (41 solo), 1.5 sacks, 10 tackles for loss, six quarterback pressures, one fumble recovery, one forced fumble, two pass breakups and two blocked kicks. In 2013, McCullers was named All-Southeastern Conference third-team by The NFL Draft Report. He spent his first two college seasons at Georgia Military College.

Blanchflower (6-4, 256), who was the 230th overall selection, played collegiately at the University of Massachusetts. He started 27-of-38 games, recording 109 receptions for 1,164 yards and nine touchdowns. Blanchflower’s 1,164 yards broke Milt Morin’s UMass record for receiving yards by a tight end and rank 15th on the school’s overall record chart. His 109 receptions are the eighth most in school history.

They are the first two of the Steelers nine selections from the 2014 NFL Draft to sign.

Welcome to the Steelers. Now, both of you, get your ***** in the weight room.

McCullers signed because the big man was hungry

I suspect the guys were signed because they were able to get in under the cap. I suspect there will be some that have to wait till the woodley cut goes into effect before they can be signed. When funds are not available they are not available.

A guy in my hall in college was 6-7 about 325 and it was amazing to watch him eat at the dining hall. This was at a small Baptist school in rural NC, so almost everything was fried. He put on at least 20 lbs our first semester. He could drink 18+ beers in a few hours (at 18 years old). He would often get Chinese or pizza delivered around midnight because there was no way he could wait till morning to eat again. He dropped out our second semester. I often wonder how many heart attacks he has had already.

My uncle Bill is a big man. When I was younger, he was @6'6" and weighed over 3 bills. My aunt told us that one time, they went to Carowinds or Six Flags, one of those amusement parks. There was a guy selling footlong hotdogs, not today's versions but the kind where the hotdog hung off each end of the long bun. His deal was, if you bought 2 footlong hotdogs, every hotdog you ate after 2 was free. They were like $4 a hotdog and back then, that was pricey. My aunt said she had to make my uncle stop at 12 because the vendor looked like he was going to cry. Always said she wished she could have gotten a picture of his face.

My uncle Bill said he was still hungry and they had to go to another vendor to get him something else.

My dad said that for lunch, my uncle Bill would stop at a store and buy a pack of hotdogs, a loaf of bread, and a half a gallon of milk for lunch....almost everyday. My uncle is still alive, I think he is in his mid-70s. He has some heart issues now, but hell, how many people in their mid-70s don't have health issues?

Crazy stuff.

My uncle Bill is a big man. When I was younger, he was @6'6" and weighed over 3 bills. My aunt told us that one time, they went to Carowinds or Six Flags, one of those amusement parks. There was a guy selling footlong hotdogs, not today's versions but the kind where the hotdog hung off each end of the long bun. His deal was, if you bought 2 footlong hotdogs, every hotdog you ate after 2 was free. They were like $4 a hotdog and back then, that was pricey. My aunt said she had to make my uncle stop at 12 because the vendor looked like he was going to cry. Always said she wished she could have gotten a picture of his face.

My uncle Bill said he was still hungry and they had to go to another vendor to get him something else.

My dad said that for lunch, my uncle Bill would stop at a store and buy a pack of hotdogs, a loaf of bread, and a half a gallon of milk for lunch....almost everyday. My uncle is still alive, I think he is in his mid-70s. He has some heart issues now, but hell, how many people in their mid-70s don't have health issues?

Crazy stuff.

Milk? Milk?

I have never heard anyone wash down a couple of hotdogs with a glass of milk hahaha. In fact, that it is quite disgusting. Just think of all that phlegm :eek:

Any pick from the 5th round down won't even have an effect on the salary cap. The rookie minimum is $420,000. The 51st player makes $490,000. That means any player with a signing bonus that prorates to less than $75,000 a year won't even fit in the top 51. In essence, any signing bonus under $300k. That encompasses every player from the 5th down.

But, they could still sign picks in the top 4 rounds. I believe the Steelers have just under $300k in cap space right now. Martavis Bryant should get around $440k to sign, so his signing bonus would prorate to $110k this year. He could be signed.

Archer, at pick 97, should net a little over $500K, which would prorate to roughly $125K per season. He could fit under the cap as well. In fact, both Archer and Bryant could sign.

Tuitt is a little more pricey. He will get a little more than $1.6M to sign, or a proration of $400k. Not enough room to sign him. Shazier will net the largest amount, in the range of $5.2M, which prorates to $1.3M per season.

So, the Steelers could easily sign all but the top 2 picks. Not even sweat doing it. It is the top two that eat the most cap space and Shazier eats more than the rest of the class combined. It should also be noted that once Woodley's money comes up, the two rookies left chew $2M off that number as soon as they ink.

For the lazy

The Steelers' first four picks, Ryan Shazier (first round), Stephon Tuitt (second round), Dri Archer (third round) and Martavis Bryant (fourth round) all will have salary cap numbers this season higher than Moye, but none of the others will, so none of them will count against the cap during the offseason.

So fifth round picks Shaquille Richardson and Wesley Johnson and remaining sixth round pick Jordan Zumwalt can still be signed, should the team choose to do so now.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ary-cap-rookie-contracts-signings-rule-51-nfl

Thanks for the cap numbers guys, I completely forgot about the rule of 51 being in effect now, for some reason I was not thinking it went into effect till camp started, senior moment.

Crazy stuff.

That is an amazing story.

Thanks all for the updates!

I think they wanted Mccullurs signed so he can start working out at the teams complexes or with coaches. John Mitchell repeatedly said by camp and the season he wants Mcullers to shed at least 20 lbs, he said he had position flexibility but said he will only play him inside probably until he is in the 340-330 range.
I don't think they want him that heavy even if guys like ngata mt cody, are at the same weight or higher for better stamina per rep/series.

Back when I was a kid everyone believed 'sodium erythorbate' in hot dogs was made from earth worms. It took the advent of the 'internet' for me to dispel the awful notion. Didn't keep me from eating them though. I used to love the Frankenstuff ones that had the chili on the inside. I guess they weren't good for you because I haven't seen them in years.

I'm sure the 'old version' of McCullers put down some chow. Hard to imagine a monster over 400# still in his growth stage.

I think they wanted Mccullurs signed so he can start working out at the teams complexes or with coaches. John Mitchell repeatedly said by camp and the season he wants Mcullers to shed at least 20 lbs, he said he had position flexibility but said he will only play him inside probably until he is in the 340-330 range.
I don't think they want him that heavy even if guys like ngata mt cody, are at the same weight or higher for better stamina per rep/series.

They are working out at the team complexes now, well, except for Richardson and Zumwalt, they are on the quarters system and rules won't allow them to attend OTAs, but all the others can. They sign a contract to cover them for injuries prior to ever heading to rookie camp. All of them do. The contracts do not change any of that.

McCullers says he will make 335# by camp...he thinks. Oddly, he weighed 348# in January at the Bowl weigh-in and 352# 2x at the Pro-day and the combine. I think he will have to work the weight off like most big guys cause his giving up sodas (probably a 12-pack a day) has only made him gain 4# (unless he's getting stronger). He sure doesn't look as overweight as some of the guys much shorter than him. I'd be happy to see him tighten-up and not lose a pound as long as he can use the weight to his advantage. I'd bet Cam Thomas is close right now. He looked like a giant chocolate doughnut shoved into his uniform last year.

The biggest guy I've seen in person was Jonathan Ogden. I use to go to a nightclub he frequented. Once he was waiting in line (yes he waited like everyone else)
and some goofball came up to him and asked if he played football. Ogden told the kid, he played a little in college.

The biggest guy I've seen in person was Jonathan Ogden. I use to go to a nightclub he frequented. Once he was waiting in line (yes he waited like everyone else)
and some goofball came up to him and asked if he played football. Ogden told the kid, he played a little in college.

AGREED. He makes everyone you ever knew that had the nickname Big before their name, look absolutely PUNY next to him. I had to crane my neck to look up at that guy up close and I'm 6'!