• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

U.S. needs up to 18 more Russian rocket engines: Pentagon

Spike

Reaction score
The Pentagon will need to buy up to 18 more Russian-built RD-180 engines to power rockets carrying U.S. military satellites into space over the next six years or so, Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work said in an interview on Friday.

Congress banned use of the Russian RD-180 rocket engines for military use after 2019, following Russia's annexation of the Crimea region of Ukraine in 2014.

But U.S. lawmakers eased the ban late last year, worried that it could drive United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Lockheed Martin Corp and Boeing Co, out of business and leave only privately held SpaceX to lift satellites into space.

Work said the United States needed to ensure there were at least "two affordable and reliable means into space." He added the RD-180 would be needed only during what he described as a transition period of new domestic rocket engine development.

"We just don't see any way you can get a new engine in anything less than six years," Work said.

"And so, therefore, in the transition period, we believe strongly that we need RD-180 space engines. No more than 18 but, you know, that's our position."

http://www.reuters.com/article/usa-space-russia-idUSL2N17C00B

-------------------------

Rockets? WE don't need no stinking rockets, we got Muslims in space

The space program is intregal to the future of this society.. From off planet settlements to asteroid mining.... I will gladly back the guy or gal that realizes that and stresses it again

The space program is intregal to the future of this society.. From off planet settlements to asteroid mining.... I will gladly back the guy or gal that realizes that and stresses it again

i'm glad you got my back

We need to start genetically re-designing human embryos for microgravity, deep spaceflight ASAP.

Radiation exposure will kill "normal" humans - we have the technology to improve our species.

Space Adapted Humans will be needed, a prehensile tail would be much more efficient, or maybe 4 hands.

hands_450.jpg

The stars are our destiny, I am all about evolution.