• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Unconscious Bias Training at Work

I almost got fired last year because I was so biased about unconscious bias. I am technically a minority but look white. I love the issue that causes with corporate America.
If you look for Unconscious bias I guarantee you will find it
Are you a white Hispanic like Zimmerman?

Read thru all and still confused. I don't deny that there probably is unconscious bias but what can you really do about that? Just be a good person...that's all that needs to be said.
Unconscious bias would be assuming that a white wide receiver must be a “hard worker” or play in the slot.

Or that a white Steelers fan critical of Tomlins playoff record must be a racist.

You can find this on YouTube, but a hilarious example of unconscious bias and great storytelling is Nolan Richardson talking about first hearing about Larry Bird. Nolan told this story during his induction into the basketball Hall of Fame. How in the late 70s he was listening to an Indiana State game on the radio and he kept hearing the name Bird. “Bird with the rebound, “”Bird with a great assist, “Bird nothing but net!” And Nolan says to himself “damn, who is this Bird? Damn, that brother can play!”

So then Nolan Richardson picks up the newspaper the next day and sees Bird’s picture. The entire audience erupts in laughter when Richardson says the obvious, “damn, Larry Bird is white.”

Nolan Richardson’s favorite player to this day.

Last edited:
So, do you like us all now?

eb01a943956b061977fc9b6b617d7b1a1e6a0f239b5bc4ab7163f9477ff47105_1.jpg
Is this an unconscious bias thread, or Covid thread? Gets hard to keep up!

Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina.

My bias is conscious.

Reactions: MTC
Read thru all and still confused. I don't deny that there probably is unconscious bias but what can you really do about that? Just be a good person...that's all that needs to be said.

Of course you're right and that's what makes it ridiculous. All that matters is that your don't act on bias. Since there are so few incidents of real racism, they must now move on to thought crimes.

The point of this is not to eliminate discrimination. It is to intimidate people into silence. They want you afraid to open your mouth. Makes it easier to force compliance.