• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Underappreciated Pittsburgh Steelers: Deshea Townsend

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
There is no doubt, in all aspects of life there are some things that really are underappreciated—especially when it comes to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In this series, I will examine former (and some current) Pittsburgh Steelers that can sometimes be forgotten when we talk about Steelers history. Some of these Steelers had brief careers, some excellent longevity. However, while every player has played a role, some have gone under the radar despite their contributions. This could be due to the era they played in, the talent in that era, or even just some of the Steelers teams they played on.

To start, I think of a guy I really appreciated watching the Steelers of the 2000’s: cornerback Deshea Townsend

Many Steelers fans will know him as the first guy to wear 26 since the departure of Hall of Fame defensive back Rod Woodson. Drafted in the 4th round of the 1998 NFL Draft—one that included the likes of Hall of Famer Alan Faneca and Hines Ward—Deshea Townsend entered the league from the University of Alabama. With Dewayne Washington recently signed in free agency and Carnell Lake holding down the opposite side, it was going to take time and work for the kid from Batesville, Mississippi to get his shot to flourish—and he made it happen.

Over the years, he made his role as a solid special teams contributor and a steady nickelback. He never backed down from challenges. He was someone who flew under the radar through the 2000’s—playing alongside talent like Chad Scott, Ike Taylor, Chris Hope, and the Hall of Famer Troy Polamalu. Despite being a guy under the radar, he made his fair share of memorable, impactful plays.

deshea-townsendjpg-984b1e667154b77e.jpg

Deshea Townsend intercepts Tony Romo’s 4th quarter pass for a touchdown, giving the Steelers a 20-13 win. (AP Photo)

Many of us remember the painful loss in the 2002 Divisional Playoff in Nashville (per usual, thanks refs.) But what some folks may (and should) remember is what set up the last Steelers lead of the game. On the Titans’ first play after Tommy Maddox and Hines Ward tied the game, Deshea Townsend picked off Steve McNair’s pass that led to a Jeff Reef field goal; taking a 31-28 lead.

After that game, Townsend would go on to log 66 regular-season starts over the next 5 seasons—registering 13 of his 21 interceptions over his 12-year Steelers career. These included plays such as the pick-six against the undefeated Patriots in 2004; creating a 21-3 lead. Most recently, his 4th quarter pick-six of Tony Romo in 2008 to win the game is arguably his signature career play. He wasn’t anything flashy, but he was a dedicated player who made plays.

Not to mention, he registered a 4th sack in Super Bowl XL that helped close the game away—as he hoisted the Steelers’ 5th and a 6th Lombardi Trophy 3 years later. Throughout his entire career, he was someone you didn’t hear about in the national media. There is no doubt, however, his career was one that Steelers fans will forever appreciate. He truly is one of the most underappreciated players in Steelers and NFL history.

So Mr. Townsend. Though I have never had the pleasure to meet you, I do want to say this on behalf of Steeler Nation: Thank you. Your dedication and body of work are well appreciated in the Steel City and Steeler Nation around the globe.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

That Jeff Reef was quite the kicker, he was usually hanging around for the holidays. Never let a dispenser cross him, if you dare you would end up on the ****** side of the situation. Mr. Townsend was pretty darn good too.

I was going to type about the 4th quarter interception against Dallas, they the opening thread had the picture of it. an unforgettable play.

He was solid for a few years.

I recall pining for Deshea to get more starts. He had a knack for making plays when we needed them the most. That INT of Romo threw me into a euphoric state (just ask Texasfan...). I also recall a game had it in hand, late in the 4th, and Hines got laid out. The network feed's audio, courtesy of one of those sideline audio cones/satellites, picks up who I'm sure was Deshea shouting, "Damn, Hines! You done got knocked the f**k out!!!" and sideline laughter ensued.

The things I recall... :unsure:

A former assistant coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers told me that Deshea Townsend would have been near Ronde Barber level in the Tampa-2 defense.

While I’m not sure that is accurate because Barber had one hell of a career, I think it’s indicative of are scheme and how we play our front 7 in Blitzburgh scheme vs. the way it was done in Steeler Curtain days.

A lot more is asked from the cornerback position instead of giving help like a cover 2 does, and I think that’s a big part of the reason why we haven’t had a lot of breakout stars at cornerback since adopting scheme.

Townsead was a very solid player, the pick 6 vs Brady and NE in 2004 was great too. Still should've traded him and Fiala, for a 3rd back in the day. ;)

All great things come to an end and Deshea's end was that he was going to get into officiating. I wonder how that has turned out for him?

GREATLY loved his play while a STEELERS player and he held his own amongst the greats.

Salute the nation

I certainly appreciated Deshea.

guy i used to work with was from the same hometown as Townsead and knew his family.

he'd crack up when I told him you ***** would call him "DeFlea"

I'm surprised he Townsead didn't get into coaching. He was always in position and had excellent instincts.

Townsead was a very solid player, the pick 6 vs Brady and NE in 2004 was great too. Still should've traded him and Fiala, for a 3rd back in the day. ;)
he would have been awesome in the 4-4-4 defense

All great things come to an end and Deshea's end was that he was going to get into officiating. I wonder how that has turned out for him?

GREATLY loved his play while a STEELERS player and he held his own amongst the greats.

Salute the nation

I'm surprised he Townsead didn't get into coaching. He was always in position and had excellent instincts.

He is a coach now. He just won a Super Bowl under BA