• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Understanding Systemic Racism

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
This is an excellent documentary on the 13th amendment. It was written to free slaves and indentured servitude in this country, but the wording within that law continued to be used to promote systemic racism.

I found it to be very interesting from the historical perspective and how it applies to today's problems with incarceration and police brutality.

Keep in mind, this is not an argument of whites are wrong, or black vs white. This is an argument that our laws continue to oppress, and freed slaves were never given a fair representation, even when they won it by voting and winning elections.

Riddle me this: The people of the US were not allowed to have funeral services for months of >50 people if even at all. The Mayor of NYC specifically targeted Hasidic Jewish faith communities. Other churches across America were targeted by local petty tyrants with threats -- as were small businesses.

George Floyd was given multiple large scale Memorial Services across the country.

Suddenly, we have mass protests in every Blue US city? And mayors largely give them space to protest and for antifa to incite riots with Covid-1984 purportedly stalking the land looking for vectors and victims over the next 18 months? In the places that had the strictest Covid-1984 controls prior to the world and media turning on a dime to focus on George Floyd?

Man, what kinda BS we being sold about these "protests?" Not passing the sniff test.

Last edited:
Riddle me this: The people of the US were not allowed to have funeral services for months of >50 people if even at all. The Mayor of NYC specifically targeted Hasidic Jewish faith communities. Other churches across America were targeted by local petty tyrants with threats -- as were small businesses.

George Floyd was given multiple large scale Memorial Services across the country.

Suddenly, we have mass protests in every Blue US city? And mayors largely give them space to protest and for antifa to incite riots with Covid-1984 purportedly stalking the land looking for vectors and victims over the next 18 months? In the places that had the strictest Covid-1984 controls prior to the world and media turning on a dime to focus on George Floyd?

Man, what kinda BS we being sold about these "protests?" Not passing the sniff test.

Obviously not an argument on systemic racism and has nothing to do with this video.

Are you talking about red states from the last election? Atlanta, Texas, FLA, KC, Phoenix, Detroit, Salt Lake City, New Orleans?, I have friends also going to protests in Alabama. This isn't a red vs blue problem. This is a Human problem. All states are experiencing it in some way. The color of the state shouldn't matter, just like the color of someone's skin shouldn't matter.

First thing I see is an hour and 40 min video...no time to do that right now so let me just peek in. In the first 38 seconds I heard two voices...neither of which I give two ***** about what they have to say. No Cope, it's not the color of their skin, it's their character, honesty and openly racist attitudes that turns me off. .....sorry.

This is an excellent documentary on the 13th amendment. It was written to free slaves and indentured servitude in this country, but the wording within that law continued to be used to promote systemic racism.

I found it to be very interesting from the historical perspective and how it applies to today's problems with incarceration and police brutality.

Keep in mind, this is not an argument of whites are wrong, or black vs white. This is an argument that our laws continue to oppress, and freed slaves were never given a fair representation, even when they won it by voting and winning elections.

That reminds me. I need to cancel Netflix.

Obviously not an argument on systemic racism and has nothing to do with this video.

Are you talking about red states from the last election? Atlanta, Texas, FLA, KC, Phoenix, Detroit, Salt Lake City, New Orleans?, I have friends also going to protests in Alabama. This isn't a red vs blue problem. This is a Human problem. All states are experiencing it in some way. The color of the state shouldn't matter, just like the color of someone's skin shouldn't matter.

The data does not support systemic racism in policing against blacks. You're in your feelings here.

You should be able to see that the protests -- just by the total dismissal of the previous Covid-1984 public health hysteria and rules for social gathering -- are political in nature and not organic.

In fact, if we applied logic from the previous diktats and messaging from the government, you're enjoining yourself to a biological attack on the United States by attending these mass protests. Blacks by the numbers have been among the most susceptible to Covid-1984 complications and deaths. Your wokeness comes at a potential huge price to their health.

Last edited:
Systemic Racism = Excuse to shift responsibility and accountability towards your own actions and place it on someone else.

There are more social welfare programs, financial assistance, and college assistance programs to poor minorities than probably every other socioeconomic groups combined. Yet people want to blame systemic racism for their own failures? If you as a parent choose not to stress the importance of education on your children, choose not to graduate high school, choose not to attend higher education or attend a trade school, how can you continue to blame others for "generational income disparity." Take responsibility and accountability for your own life, your own actions, and your own choices. It is amazing the number of successful minorities that grew up dirt poor, in government housing, yet still found a way to become business owners, doctors, attorneys...etc. When you quit playing the victim and blaming other people for your failures, it is amazing what you can actually accomplish.

There is no doubt privilege is gained, increased, lost, wasted and inherited.

The issue is privilege isn't part of race. Sure, there are many blacks that are "behind" in gaining privilege as related to families/generations from the founding of our country. But immigrant Irish, immigrant Italians, immigrant Germans didn't have privilege either.

It should be the goal of every parent to provide "privilege" to their children. Help where you can. Pull strings. Create generational wealth and support. Maintain large family units for moral, economic and emotional support.

THAT IS THE GOAL. In fact, I can't think of a more noble goal.

That fact black communities have not figured any of this out is not my fault. The fact black communities tear down family units. Shun/devalue education (which lasts generations). Don't understand that savings and wealth sometimes take generations to build (and isn't just given to you). Not my fault. It really isn't.

And I will always take advantage of knowing how this works vs. those families and peoples that don't. Always. That is not racism. I look at white trash families the same way. Those that waste money on driving a huge truck or smoking cigarettes rather than saving for a college education for their children. I have the same disdain for them. It is not about race.

In fact, just to prove that point. I actually believe, in my heart, that a vast majority of Hispanic Americans have the same work ethic and understanding of creating privilege. Many hispanics (and I am painting with a broad brush on this topic) understand sacrifice of the parents (plural, both working together) to provide privilege for their children - opportunity, connections, education, morals, work ethic - is VITAL to being a parent.

Privilege is a GOOD THING.

Being white myself, assuming being mostly Italian is white, because many in this country when my great grandfather stepped ashore didn't think so.

I tend to agree with Chip, it's character more than color. Are some intimidated by blacks, I'm sure there are. Bad people come in all colors.

My primary physician for years was black, a former army medic, sharp, through, and an absolute gentleman. I trusted him implicitly and have the utmost respect for him. The same holds true for other minorities with character.

What sways white's opinions are the minorities without character, and those that seem proud of that fact, (insert almost any rap song here). We all have to have an understanding of one another, because this isn't a one way street. It would go a long way in bringing us all together if the do good doers
and minorities with good character worked at changing the attitudes of those without character. That isn't happening, or it isn't being reported, and until it does, attitudes won't change.

I see it almost everyday. My school is over 70% black. For the most part they don't care for education. Around 95% are living in homes with no fathers. Some of them are living with no parents. They either live with grandmothers or cousins. Maybe 2% of black students have a parent I can call and actually speak with about anything. Most won't return calls. I've had a mother tell me her daughter was interested in partying and that she didn't need school. Hung up on me. I've had students reeking of pot and posting pictures on FB (which I saw on another students phone) of them with huge bongs. I can tell they are lying when their lips are moving. They simply don't care. They have no respect for authority and will steal from each other without thought. I lock my door so they don't steal from me.

Somethings they do have is cell phones, candy, chips and gum. They eat constantly between classes. Lunch is free for almost all of them. But they all have money to buy candy and potato chips. Most buy energy drinks, Gatorade, ice cream or fruit juices. Most have new Jordan's or some other type of shoe. I've seen students take there shoes off in the rain and walk in socks to the buses to keep from getting their shoes dirty.

I see it almost everyday. My school is over 70% black. For the most part they don't care for education. Around 95% are living in homes with no fathers. Some of them are living with no parents. They either live with grandmothers or cousins. Maybe 2% of black students have a parent I can call and actually speak with about anything. Most won't return calls. I've had a mother tell me her daughter was interested in partying and that she didn't need school. Hung up on me. I've had students reeking of pot and posting pictures on FB (which I saw on another students phone) of them with huge bongs. I can tell they are lying when their lips are moving. They simply don't care. They have no respect for authority and will steal from each other without thought. I lock my door so they don't steal from me.

Somethings they do have is cell phones, candy, chips and gum. They eat constantly between classes. Lunch is free for almost all of them. But they all have money to buy candy and potato chips. Most buy energy drinks, Gatorade, ice cream or fruit juices. Most have new Jordan's or some other type of shoe. I've seen students take there shoes off in the rain and walk in socks to the buses to keep from getting their shoes dirty.

Basically? You're down 28-0 before the game starts and down 56-0 at halftime with the collective efforts of those around you. I'm sure you have to focus on modeling your own personal excellence in the hopes it will rub off on someone watching. Be not weary in well doing..

I think it was Larry Elder who recently played the Obama clip from 2008 where he said in his Preacher Voice "we are 90% there" as in the goals of the Civil Rights Movement, "now let's go that last 10%."

So you see, by definition of "systemic racism," we could not be "90% there." We would be "10% there," and needing "to go that last 90%."

This country elected Barack Hussein Obama 2X -- the first time with no real world experience or qualifications and simply because he was black -- and someone really wants to argue the US is beset by systemic racism? Where? How? Do the police stats bear that out? Tell me where it exists other than Woke sensibilities and imaginations in an Election Year?

I think it was Larry Elder who recently played the Obama clip from 2008 where he said in his Preacher Voice "we are 90% there" as in the goals of the Civil Rights Movement, "now let's go that last 10%."

So you see, by definition of "systemic racism," we could not be "90% there." We would be "10% there," and needing "to go that last 90%."

This country elected Barack Hussein Obama 2X -- the first time with no real world experience or qualifications and simply because he was black -- and someone really wants to argue the US is beset by systemic racism? Where? How? Do the police stats bear that out? Tell me where it exists other than Woke sensibilities and imaginations in an Election Year?

Ben Shapiro said it best.

Liberals are forever looking at "equality of outcomes". If there is ANY difference in ANY statistic comparing ANY "victim class", then there has to be a reason for it. And that reason is "systemic".

If it isn't about blacks, then let's look at black women. Or black women ages 20-29. Or black women without high school educations ages 20-29. Or black women, without high school educations, raising a child alone ages 20-29. There will always be a "victim group" and always be a statistic you don't like.

The left doesn't care about equality of opportunity. They don't even define "equality" the same. They will not be happy until the results of every group, every person, every race is exactly the same. Which is an impossible outcome.

Therefore, there platform will never go away. The fight will always need to be waged. And they will continue to find and label and point fingers about 'victim classes".

Basically? You're down 28-0 before the game starts and down 56-0 at halftime with the collective efforts of those around you. I'm sure you have to focus on modeling your own personal excellence in the hopes it will rub off on someone watching. Be not weary in well doing..

Students are always shocked when they come in my class. There is no unnecessary talking and play around. I'm very tough on them the first few months. They have to write reports, do experiments and keep up with their notes. I have weekly quizzes, reading assignments, at home lab work, and some at school lab demonstrations. They hate me at the start of the year. At the end of the year I'm usually their favorite teacher. I expect their best but I know most won't apply themselves. But I do my best.

I taught in alternative ed for about 15 years, inner city. The last 15 or so I have been in a nice, country school district in which we had a fight last year in the cafe, and it's the first one I remember in years. I try not to forget what it was like, but the issues certainly haven't improved from the 1990s.

If you think about it, what a brilliant strategy. Democrat policies are like the parent who never disciplines. Conservatives make kids eat their vegetables. Well, what kid wants to eat their vegetables?

Students are always shocked when they come in my class. There is no unnecessary talking and play around. I'm very tough on them the first few months. They have to write reports, do experiments and keep up with their notes. I have weekly quizzes, reading assignments, at home lab work, and some at school lab demonstrations. They hate me at the start of the year. At the end of the year I'm usually their favorite teacher. I expect their best but I know most won't apply themselves. But I do my best.

I've thought about teaching. I'm a couple of classes and a semester of student teaching short of a certificate in 7-12 "Social Studies" formerly known as History. It sounds like you find it very rewarding. Do you also coach at all?

I've thought about teaching. I'm a couple of classes and a semester of student teaching short of a certificate in 7-12 "Social Studies" formerly known as History. It sounds like you find it very rewarding. Do you also coach at all?

No, I don't coach. I drive a bus and do some after school work with the football team. But I don't consider myself a coach. I have 5 different endorsements. I can teach 7-12 Biology, General Science, Economics, Bible, and social studies. I could get an English endorsement but I hate teaching English.

No, I don't coach. I drive a bus and do some after school work with the football team. But I don't consider myself a coach. I have 5 different endorsements. I can teach 7-12 Biology, General Science, Economics, Bible, and social studies. I could get an English endorsement but I hate teaching English.

I'll never forget something a History professor in college said when talking about teaching. He was best described as someone's class where you would not want to sit in the front row because the Bill Cowher spittle would be flying when he taught SC History. He told a student, "I don't have the first education class, but I know one thing..if you're gonna teach...you better have at least a little 'ham' in you.."

Boy that sure would be true with preaching too in my experience!

"In the past 50 years, $22 trillion has been spent on poverty programs. Seventy percent goes not to the poor but those who serve poor people," he said.

"So many of those people taking office use this money to create a class of people who are running these cities, and now after 50 years of liberal Democrats running the inner cities, where we have all of these inequities that we have, race is being used as a ruse, as a means of deflecting attention away from critical questions such as why are poor blacks failing in systems run by their own people?"
- Bob Woodson, a guy who lived through real systemic racism. Full interview is great.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bob-woodson-rejects-systemic-racism-class-race

I was always tough on the kids, too. I didn't put up with a lot of nonsense. I would also do van runs during the summer program we had. When I was dropping kids off, I had a few occasions in which a kid I had who was now a young adult recognized me. They would run up and talk to me, some would thank me and such. I think they know on some level they need discipline. We all do.

In a funny side note, I also had a kid, a big, dumb, strong as an ox white kid who I hope never recognizes me. I was pretty tough on him, I even made him cry at one point. That was not my intent, for any snowflakes reading this, it just happened. Anyway, he got arrested in the last year for getting in a fight and breaking up a barroom. He tore that place up. Maybe he still remembers me. I ain't 49 anymore.

I have an elementary and a secondary math. I HATED public schools. I mean HATE HATE HATE. Now I teach GED courses in a maximum security prison. I love it. These guys often are just discovering their abilities. I also only work 40 hours per week - not one more minute. It's amazing.

First thing I see is an hour and 40 min video...no time to do that right now so let me just peek in. In the first 38 seconds I heard two voices...neither of which I give two ***** about what they have to say. No Cope, it's not the color of their skin, it's their character, honesty and openly racist attitudes that turns me off. .....sorry.

It's tough to fully understand an argument when you are unwilling to see all sides. The most interesting aspect of this doc is how there is a direct line of laws that keep minorities oppressed, since slavery.

The data does not support systemic racism in policing against blacks. You're in your feelings here.

You should be able to see that the protests -- just by the total dismissal of the previous Covid-1984 public health hysteria and rules for social gathering -- are political in nature and not organic.

In fact, if we applied logic from the previous diktats and messaging from the government, you're enjoining yourself to a biological attack on the United States by attending these mass protests. Blacks by the numbers have been among the most susceptible to Covid-1984 complications and deaths. Your wokeness comes at a potential huge price to their health.

The data is far different in this doc. I also see protesting during a pandemic, as the need is so great, people are putting their life at risk for something that matters deeply to them.