• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Updated Steelers hire

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

They added also Mateo Kambui as offensive assistant.

I didn't see this covered with all the SB hoopla, I think it slipped through the cracks.

Per Steelers.com, Kambui was an offensive line assistant coach in 2023 with the Atlanta Falcons.

So perhaps he can help get that O-line become a little more consistent.

Anyone have any insight on any of the three new hires?

I do know Tom Arth was Peyton Mannings backup a couple seasons in Indy so there’s that.
Also, worked with Justin Herbert in Charger land and they ranked top five or six in passing yards in 23 at least until Herbert got hurt.
He’s fairly young and should bring fresh ideas to the offense.
Not sure if he’s just QB coach or acting as both QB coach and passing game coordinator.
Zach Azzanni worked with Jerry Jeudy the WR in Denver spending five years there. Spent a year with Jets and their young receivers but Jets had no QB.

Last edited:
Anybody explain why they tap the Falcons, the Jets and the Chargers for assistant coaches. Why not just go all the way and grab the Saskatchetoon Rough Riders assistants. Basically I this ****** organization reads my posts and says let's do the opposite. Hines Ward was recently receivers coach for Jets why not him.

I'm confused, they say Sullivan is back as QB coach....but they hired the guy from LA to be QB coach? Confusing. And, why would you bring back the QB coach to a team that had such horrid QB play from the #1 and #2 QBs? Why? I just don't get it. It seems Pgh is adding/making changes just for the sake of change but not with much logic involved.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/09/steelers-nfl-mike-sullivan-tom-arth/

So, if Sullivan was worth his salt, why did we have such crap QB play from Kenny and Mitch? Kenny had a QBR of 37, near basement of the league, but we are bringing back his position coach? Huh? Why?And Mitch was simply a disaster, he put up truly among the worst QB play in the NFL. But the QB coach is back? (34 QBR) Well, hells bells, way to make changes that actually matter.

The WR coach has a long coaching history all the way back to coaching AB in college. Also was impressive with his titulage of Sanders in Denver. The one O-line capable assistant has ties to the new OC.

That's off the top of my head..

Supposedly the WR coach commands attention to detail and physical blocking...

I think Bienemy is an absolute no brain hire as pass game guy. Unless he is tabbed for KC again. Same with Ward. One guy who will kick some *** and understands real route combinations and another who overcame physical limitations through work and attention to detail to become great.

I think Bienemy is an absolute no brain hire as pass game guy.
I think the word has finally been out on Pgh and what a clown show it is. I don't think candidates with a real future will come there unless it's their last option. Maybe that's where Smith was at; I didn't hear of any other team consider hiring him, did you? I don't think someone as serious as Bienemy, someone as noted as not "playing games" would be likely to end up. Although Shades gets all the adulation from the media as the "great guy with the funny quips," I think people in the know view working with Shades as a dead end job, especially on offense, especially in the passing game. Can you imagine someone like Bieniemy having to include all of Shades' "pee-your-pants" fears into their offensive game plan, refusing to use the middle of the field out of terrorized fear of turnovers?

Last edited:
I think the word has finally been out on Pgh and what a clown show it is. I don't think candidates with a real future will come there unless it's their last option. Maybe that's where Smith was at; I didn't hear of any other team consider hiring him, did you? I don't think someone as serious as Bienemy, someone as noted as not "playing games" would be likely to end up. Although Shades gets all the adulation from the media as the "great guy with the funny quips," I think people in the know view working with Shades as a dead end job, especially on offense, especially in the passing game. Can you imagine someone like Bieniemy having to having to include all of Shades' "pee-your-pants" fears into their offensive game plan, refusing to use the middle of the field out of terrorized fear of turnovers?
Great Great points.

The WR coach has a long coaching history all the way back to coaching AB in college. Also was impressive with his titulage of Sanders in Denver. The one O-line capable assistant has ties to the new OC.

That's off the top of my head..

Supposedly the WR coach commands attention to detail and physical blocking...
I think anyone you kinda never heard of deserves a fair chance. My problem is none of these guys you never heard of develops to more than that.

I think the word has finally been out on Pgh and what a clown show it is. I don't think candidates with a real future will come there unless it's their last option. Maybe that's where Smith was at; I didn't hear of any other team consider hiring him, did you? I don't think someone as serious as Bienemy, someone as noted as not "playing games" would be likely to end up. Although Shades gets all the adulation from the media as the "great guy with the funny quips," I think people in the know view working with Shades as a dead end job, especially on offense, especially in the passing game. Can you imagine someone like Bieniemy having to having to include all of Shades' "pee-your-pants" fears into their offensive game plan, refusing to use the middle of the field out of terrorized fear of turnovers?
Smith had other interviews aligned

I believe he was getting ready to fly to Tampa and the Steelers never let him leave.

Folks on here, myself included, need to realize the Steelers fans are the only people who have a problem with Tomlin. He is looked at with high esteem around the league, by the players, and by the media. I don't think there is an issue with him hiring good coaches other than he doesn't know how.

I do know Tom Arth was Peyton Mannings backup a couple seasons in Indy so there’s that.
Also, worked with Justin Herbert in Charger land and they ranked top five or six in passing yards in 23 at least until Herbert got hurt.
He’s fairly young and should bring fresh ideas to the offense.
Not sure if he’s just QB coach or acting as both QB coach and passing game coordinator.
Zach Azzanni worked with Jerry Jeudy the WR in Denver spending five years there. Spent a year with Jets and their young receivers but Jets had no QB.

I thought I read Sullivan was retaining QB coach duties (I was disappointed if he does). Maybe that has changed ?

Salute the nation

Anybody explain why they tap the Falcons, the Jets and the Chargers for assistant coaches. Why not just go all the way and grab the Saskatchetoon Rough Riders assistants. Basically I this ****** organization reads my posts and says let's do the opposite. Hines Ward was recently receivers coach for Jets why not him.
Why not Hines?
Likely too strong willed for the sheep loving Tomlin

Or maybe Hines is too smart to sit in the room with no real voice

I thought I read Sullivan was retaining QB coach duties (I was disappointed if he does). Maybe that has changed ?

Ya know I’ve been reading conflicting reports. I read one yesterday that said Sullivan would come back as an offensive assistant and it wasn’t defined exactly what.
Salute the nation

Why not Hines?
Likely too strong willed for the sheep loving Tomlin

Or maybe Hines is too smart to sit in the room with no real voice
Ward was a fantastic mentor while he was with the team. I'm not sure anyone in the NFL feels he has the coaching chops. Here's his coaching background:

2017 - Steelers offensive intern
2019-20 - Jets offensive assistant
2021 - Florida Atlanta WR coach
2023 - Sanantonio (XFL) head coach

To some extent, I question if Ward even wants to be a coach in the NFL. It's not like there's a shortage of former players who are on a staff somewhere.

I'm not doubting you but when I googled it nothing came up. I was wondering what other teams wanted to interview him for OC. Do you know?

Ward was a fantastic mentor while he was with the team. I'm not sure anyone in the NFL feels he has the coaching chops. Here's his coaching background:
I'm with Fiji on this one: I think Hines is too strong-willed, too anti-BS to sit quietly as a Steeler coach without questioning the team's lack of discipline that is a trademark of Tomlin at this point. It's funny, WR coach Jackson gets fired for lack of discipline with the WRs but we ALL know the entire TEAM lacks discipline and that's on the head coach; once again Shades found a scapegoat for his own personal errors. He always has a scapegoat, always. Just consider the whole team; the "too many men of the field," the "less than 12 men on the field." It screams of a lack of discipline, team-wide. Then you have ALL the players who have mentioned "lack of discipline" regarding the team and practices. Both Najee and Pickett have mentioned this as a problem. When both you starting QB and HB mention it, you have a problem. But Shades just skates by and ignores it. If the media did its job they'd ask him about it, but then they'd be banned from team favors.