• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Way too goh Oreegone!

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The governor of Oregon quietly and without fanfare signed into law a bill that decimates proficiency requirements in reading, writing and arithmetic in Oregon public schools.

Essentially, graduates of Oregon high schools will no longer need to demonstrate competence in reading, writing or arithmetic in order to graduate. (No, I'm not kidding.)

The law is celebrated as a tremendous triumph for "Latino, Latina, LatinX, African American, Asian and other people of color". IE, the overwhelmingly racist lawmakers who drafted the bill and the racist governor who signed the bill are saying, "These minority kids simply aren't smart enough to survive competency requirements, so we need to remove competency roadblocks from them so they can succeed."

Ahmayreekuh!

George Bush
"No Child Left Behind"

Vegetable
"No Child Needs to Read"

in fairness, according to the leftists...
"3 in 1 mynoritee kidz dohnt dew math good."

Yes we were talking about this in the liberalism is a mental illness thread. Very soon no one will hire anyone from Oregon but hey there will be plenty of heroin in Portland.

Oregon law now essentially says that minorities are too dumb to do math. Further proof that "progressives" are the real racists.

The other part is that they WANT dumb people who are dependent and have no tools to think for themselves. Don't even try.

My daughter's ex-girlfriend went through a year and a half of "remote schooling" here in MT. When the 'Rona hit, the schools in town basically shut down for the 2nd half of the year and told the kids, if you are happy with the grade you had when we closed, you can just "keep" that grade and do nothing. (seriously.) If you want to improve your grade, you can attend the "virtual classroom" crap and any work you do will only benefit your grade.

Basically any kids who had A's and B's just bailed on the 2nd half of the year along with that percentage of kids who thought to themselves, "Hey, I can live with a C or a D."

Then last year, they basically did the entire year as a "come to school if you like, or do it remotely if you prefer." The caveat being that really, either way your workload was about 35 to 50% of what you would normally do in a traditional classroom. ADD that to the fact that the school was trying to figure out how to cobble together the lost skills from the previous year's 2nd semester while still somehow trying to move forward on the curriculum of the "current year" and you had a complete **** show.

Anyway, with THAT background information you can understand why, in a candid and honest conversation with this girl who went through all that I told her "If I was in a hiring position, I honestly wouldn't even look at the resume of any kid who graduated within 4 years of this clusterfuck. I have no confidence that any of those students have mastered basic skills." I went further to say that if I was a college admissions guy, I'd put these kids at the absolute bottom of the list of people to let in.

She was offended. Admittedly, she couldn't articulate in the written or spoken word why my position was unfair...

My daughter's ex-girlfriend went through a year and a half of "remote schooling" here in MT. When the 'Rona hit, the schools in town basically shut down for the 2nd half of the year and told the kids, if you are happy with the grade you had when we closed, you can just "keep" that grade and do nothing. (seriously.) If you want to improve your grade, you can attend the "virtual classroom" crap and any work you do will only benefit your grade.

Basically any kids who had A's and B's just bailed on the 2nd half of the year along with that percentage of kids who thought to themselves, "Hey, I can live with a C or a D."

Then last year, they basically did the entire year as a "come to school if you like, or do it remotely if you prefer." The caveat being that really, either way your workload was about 35 to 50% of what you would normally do in a traditional classroom. ADD that to the fact that the school was trying to figure out how to cobble together the lost skills from the previous year's 2nd semester while still somehow trying to move forward on the curriculum of the "current year" and you had a complete **** show.

Anyway, with THAT background information you can understand why, in a candid and honest conversation with this girl who went through all that I told her "If I was in a hiring position, I honestly wouldn't even look at the resume of any kid who graduated within 4 years of this clusterfuck. I have no confidence that any of those students have mastered basic skills." I went further to say that if I was a college admissions guy, I'd put these kids at the absolute bottom of the list of people to let in.

She was offended. Admittedly, she couldn't articulate in the written or spoken word why my position was unfair...
You would be shocked if you knew how extremely subjective grading can be. It's just not the science that people think it should be. Too many variables, like "I like this kid", or "he has a bad home life, so....." or "This one is special ed, so NEVER give him anything less than a D, and only if you've had a few parent/teacher conferences about it", or "I don't want this kid back next year. Hated him this year, so I'm passing him." Etc. Principals, unions, data teams, parents, etc., all influence how grades are given. Grades are data, and therefore count more than you know. Great data raises eyebrows, bad data does, too. Mid-level data, in the bell curve hits few radars, so we go with it.

It's all a bunch of nonsense, at least potentially, or when results are needed to accomplish goals, etc.

You would be shocked if you knew how extremely subjective grading can be. It's just not the science that people think it should be. Too many variables, like "I like this kid", or "he has a bad home life, so....." or "This one is special ed, so NEVER give him anything less than a D, and only if you've had a few parent/teacher conferences about it", or "I don't want this kid back next year. Hated him this year, so I'm passing him." Etc. Principals, unions, data teams, parents, etc., all influence how grades are given. Grades are data, and therefore count more than you know. Great data raises eyebrows, bad data does, too. Mid-level data, in the bell curve hits few radars, so we go with it.

It's all a bunch of nonsense, at least potentially, or when results are needed to accomplish goals, etc.
In another life I taught English & French at a high school in MT. I fully understand how those things can and do happen.

I got some stories, as I'm sure you and Vader do.