• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What criticized Steelers player does the most to prove his haters wrong this season?

If Pickett is half the film junkie as Ben, he will be a quarter of the film junkie as Manning.

Several things to point out about Pickett in general

1. Wonderlic scores don’t correlate to success or failure in the NFL. Not even for QBs… Jim Kelly and Dan Marino both scored under 17… virtually none of the highest scores have done anything significant in the NFL… it was like expecting Omar Jacobs to be good because he scored a 38…

2. Nobody ever said Pickett’s arm was weak… he always had a good NFL arm. He doesn’t have a cannon, but virtually no qb does. He has plenty of velocity and there aren’t any reputable sources questioning that. His arm strength is better than Brees or Brady and he generates velocity in the same way those two did… footwork and hip swivel… that is absolutely fine.

3. Pickett is a film Junkie at Peyton Mannings level. It is a fair comparison, really, because he learned it from Manning himself… he used to go to Manning’s qb Camp and learned his work ethic and film study from Peyton himself… if Peyton was his mentor, then comparing him to Manning is fair.
3) While Pickett May put in the time in the film room like Manning did, I can’t confirm or deny to what extent he commits himself as I’ve never been in the film room with him over the course of a season

OBVIOUSLY his processing/comprehension of what he is watching in said film room, no matter what time commitment he’s putting in there, is nowhere near the same ball park as Manning.

So while you can compare commitment level as being possibly equal it doesn’t mean much of the comprehension level isn’t equivalent…which it definitely isn’t imo

Maybe someday, but highly unlikely

Kudos for the commitment level if he’s putting in the time like Manning tho

3) While Pickett May put in the time in the film room like Manning did, I can’t confirm or deny to what extent he commits himself as I’ve never been in the film room with him over the course of a season

OBVIOUSLY his processing/comprehension of what he is watching in said film room, no matter what time commitment he’s putting in there, is nowhere near the same ball park as Manning.

So while you can compare commitment level as being possibly equal it doesn’t mean much of the comprehension level isn’t equivalent…which it definitely isn’t imo

If he falls short of Manning I highly doubt it will be due to his comprehension abilities. Manning was an elite QB which I consider to be the best ever. He was the whole package.

None of us ultimately know what KP will become, what level of success he will achieve. But I think 99 percent of QBs would fall short of Manning's achievements so it is no slight on Kenny nor a surprise if any of today's QBs outside of perhaps a certain KC QB get close to what he was.

Way too early to compare Kenny to anyone.

Several things to point out about Pickett in general

1. Wonderlic scores don’t correlate to success or failure in the NFL. Not even for QBs… Jim Kelly and Dan Marino both scored under 17… virtually none of the highest scores have done anything significant in the NFL… it was like expecting Omar Jacobs to be good because he scored a 38…

2. Nobody ever said Pickett’s arm was weak… he always had a good NFL arm. He doesn’t have a cannon, but virtually no qb does. He has plenty of velocity and there aren’t any reputable sources questioning that. His arm strength is better than Brees or Brady and he generates velocity in the same way those two did… footwork and hip swivel… that is absolutely fine.

3. Pickett is a film Junkie at Peyton Mannings level. It is a fair comparison, really, because he learned it from Manning himself… he used to go to Manning’s qb Camp and learned his work ethic and film study from Peyton himself… if Peyton was his mentor, then comparing him to Manning is fair.

The NFL was simpler in the 1970's - 1990's on offense and defense and those QB's had excellent arms and releases. Not comparable to Pickett's!

Show me a QB since 2000 -2022 the enjoyed good succes who scored under 18 on the wonderlic as a passer. What is that, you can not? YEP. You are a good poster, I'm sure you will understand this. I'll up the ante, show me one QB who has under a 18 on the wonderlic and under 9 " hands as QB that was good, I'll give you all of history.

Calling Pickett to have a good arm is well not being accurate about things. His arm by that standards of a starting NFL qb's is far form good. It is below average. He velocity in his passes, the MPH on the radar gun which next gen stats use is low. Use you eyes and you will see what I am talking about. In football terminology his 5,6,7,8 ,and 9 passes lack zip and he has to arch them high, and they lacks velocity which increases the odds of players breaking on the ball and intercepting it. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

This a reason why plays a short passing and safe game managing style. That's who he is. Pickett was benefactor of the Steeler leading the NFL in interceptions and playing a very weak schedule for his last games. This is not a plan for success. Don't be fooled. The offense did not score may points under him

The NFL was simpler in the 1970's - 1990's on offense and defense and those QB's had excellent arms and releases. Not comparable to Pickett's!

Show me a QB since 2000 -2022 the enjoyed good succes who scored under 18 on the wonderlic as a passer. What is that, you can not? YEP. You are a good poster, I'm sure you will understand this. I'll up the ante, show me one QB who has under a 18 on the wonderlic and under 9 " hands as QB that was good, I'll give you all of history.

Calling Pickett to have a good arm is well not being accurate about things. His arm by that standards of a starting NFL qb's is far form good. It is below average. He velocity in his passes, the MPH on the radar gun which next gen stats use is low. Use you eyes and you will see what I am talking about. In football terminology his 5,6,7,8 ,and 9 passes lack zip and he has to arch them high, and they lacks velocity which increases the odds of players breaking on the ball and intercepting it. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

This a reason why plays a short passing and safe game managing style. That's who he is. Pickett was benefactor of the Steeler leading the NFL in interceptions and playing a very weak schedule for his last games. This is not a plan for success. Don't be fooled. The offense did not score may points under him
7 point differential between Patrick and Kenny. There is a reason the NFL got rid of wonderliks they are about as relevant as your posts. Which daily score lower than 5. Kenny added some strength to his resume in the off-season perhaps that helps out any arm concerns. Btw if you are going to pull stats from a site like you possibly did quote the source. Unless you flat out made the **** up it wouldn't be the first time for that either.

I hear and feel your post upon the commitment needed. I feel I met that commitment goal while reading this post………. (LoL)

Salute the nbation

1. So lets start off by revisiting the hand thing… teams worry about hand size because it’s a simple way to judge whether the QB can control the football and throw with a spin to increase accuracy and velocity.
This is a simple physics thing… however its geared towards typical hand structure.
Pickett has very weird hands… he has an atypical double jointed thumb.. not even the normal defect in that area….. this allows him to generate more force per square inch than typical with his hands. Combined with the traction of his gloves, it mitigates any concerns in the area

2. The wonderlic was decommissioned by the NFL for several reasons after a lot of studies.

The primary reason was that it didn’t correlate to anything on the football field.
It was a 75 year old IQ test that wasn’t even good at judging problem solving, much less football acumen. Go take one right now. It’s hilariously ill equipped to make any kind of actual sense of a player’s ability on the field. Most are more “ education level tests” or able to do math in your head tests. This is why the NFL is adopting more visual reactive tests. It actually makes sense.

To make matters worse, many coaches and executives believed that scoring too high was a bad thing… it was just a thoroughly outdated and useless metric

3. Saying Pickett is only going to be a game manager because thats all he can be is short sighted. We know how he played in college. We saw what he could do with the game on the line last year… its far too early to say anything about his ceiling.

Rookie season notoriously have no correlation to future performances… you can be great as a rookie and absolutely suck the rest of your career, you can be horrible then go on to the hall of fame.
The last 5 qbs to start over the past 4 seasons have all looked similar, so its safe to say the game manager thing is a coaching staff choice, not a qb limitation…

We'll have a better feel for who KP can become after this season but still really won't know until after next year and especially if he has a new legitimate OC. He has all the physical tools he needs to be successful. He has elite work ethic. He has top end "it" factor. He is a true leader and his teammates can see that already. The next 2 years will be fun to watch what he grows into and hopefully, it is enough for us to watch him play in the black and gold for another decade+ after that.

If he falls short of Manning I highly doubt it will be due to his comprehension abilities. Manning was an elite QB which I consider to be the best ever. He was the whole package.

None of us ultimately know what KP will become, what level of success he will achieve. But I think 99 percent of QBs would fall short of Manning's achievements so it is no slight on Kenny nor a surprise if any of today's QBs outside of perhaps a certain KC QB get close to what he was.

Way too early to compare Kenny to anyone.
Completely agree- and meant as no slight to KP as I too would consider maybe a handful ever to process like Peyton…I love the optimism tho Slash “if he falls short of Manning” that gave me a chuckle

If I compare him to anyone it is Trubisky and Rudolph… or Howell, Ridder, Willis, Corral, Purdy etc and maybe some of the guys from this year’s class too but not Manning…that’s a tough comp

1. So lets start off by revisiting the hand thing… teams worry about hand size because it’s a simple way to judge whether the QB can control the football and throw with a spin to increase accuracy and velocity.
This is a simple physics thing… however its geared towards typical hand structure.
Pickett has very weird hands… he has an atypical double jointed thumb.. not even the normal defect in that area….. this allows him to generate more force per square inch than typical with his hands. Combined with the traction of his gloves, it mitigates any concerns in the area

2. The wonderlic was decommissioned by the NFL for several reasons after a lot of studies.

The primary reason was that it didn’t correlate to anything on the football field.
It was a 75 year old IQ test that wasn’t even good at judging problem solving, much less football acumen. Go take one right now. It’s hilariously ill equipped to make any kind of actual sense of a player’s ability on the field. Most are more “ education level tests” or able to do math in your head tests. This is why the NFL is adopting more visual reactive tests. It actually makes sense.

To make matters worse, many coaches and executives believed that scoring too high was a bad thing… it was just a thoroughly outdated and useless metric

3. Saying Pickett is only going to be a game manager because thats all he can be is short sighted. We know how he played in college. We saw what he could do with the game on the line last year… its far too early to say anything about his ceiling.

Rookie season notoriously have no correlation to future performances… you can be great as a rookie and absolutely suck the rest of your career, you can be horrible then go on to the hall of fame.
The last 5 qbs to start over the past 4 seasons have all looked similar, so its safe to say the game manager thing is a coaching staff choice, not a qb limitation…
Problem with solid breakdowns like this is cooch will retain nothing while trotting out his usual warped viewpoint. Ten people could tell cooch a subject over and over and over again and the next day? B b but hiz wonderlic a a and hiz hands dough.🥴

Completely agree- and meant as no slight to KP as I too would consider maybe a handful ever to process like Peyton…I love the optimism tho Slash “if he falls short of Manning” that gave me a chuckle

If I compare him to anyone it is Trubisky and Rudolph… or Howell, Ridder, Willis, Corral, Purdy etc and maybe some of the guys from this year’s class too but not Manning…that’s a tough comp

I don’t think the initial Manning comparisons were for anything other than his film study and work ethic… i don’t think anyone expects Pickett to be a top ten all time Qb lol