• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What is Tomlin's record vs. 25% winning record teams or lower?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Yep, but the point is EVERY QB has ****** games vs ****** teams not just Ben, and all the games I listed Ben had a qb rating of 90 or better, most in the 100's

And just because he threw for Alot of yards and had a high rating doesn't mean he played well. Go back look at the recaps which is still not as good as watching again. A couple of the games you posted stats weren't put up until late or clutch plays weren't made late.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
And just because he threw for Alot of yards and had a high rating doesn't mean he played well. Go back look at the recaps which is still not as good as watching again. A couple of the games you posted stats weren't put up until late or clutch plays weren't made late.

My guess is that if he threw for a lot of yards and had a good rating he did not play like complete ******* ***.

skline00

Reaction score
Next week is going to be UGLY for us.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
My guess is that if he threw for a lot of yards and had a good rating he did not play like complete ******* ***.

As he should being a franchise QB. But that doesn't mean a clutch play wasn't missed or a critical turnover didn't happen. Like in the KC game mentioned. There was 94 yard interception return in the third quarter converted into 7 points. Stats don't always telling whole story

Last edited:

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score

You never really know. The only concerns I have are that the Sith Lord might work some kind of mind magic on our coaching staff convincing them that Le'Veon Bell remains on suspension. I'm not sure how the Dolphins managed to pull that off, but I suspect drugs were involved. My other concern is that the Pats' videos are more than likely now being shot in Ultra High Definition.

P

POP

The players are getting paid too. If you need a rah rah speech to do your job you aren't much of a player in my book.

When did I ever assert they need "rah rah" speeches. If anything, "getting them focused" is often the opposite of "rah rah" speeches.

"Getting a team focused" refers to making sure they don't take the opponent for granted, and that is done, all week long, by reminding them of things. Do you think Hoodie gives many "rah rah" speeches? How about Parcells? Jimmy Johnson? No, but they make sure the team is prepared. Tomlin seems to just suck at that. Sure, he can get them focused after losing 34-3 and facing a winning team the next game. But how come they come out so flat vs. bad teams? Pats don't.

I coach junior football and we have had some loaded teams. I had an opposing coach flip out at me when our fifth RB ran a dive play up the middle for a seventy yard TD when we were up thirty and trying to run out the clock. I kindly informed him that I coach my kids to play until the final whistle, and I won't allow my reserves to play down for the opponent. Make your kids tackle, it's part of the game. Their last play, a pedestrian, nobody RB ran seventy yards for a score when everybody in the country knew they were running out the clock. He looked like a HOFer today after being benched most of the season. That's not coaching, it's gutless effort by your players.

The loaded offense did absolutely nothing all day. The only one who played like himself was LeVeon and they didn't get him the ball. They all count one and we're in the lead in the division since they all **** the bed today too. If you've been around for thirty years you've seen this plenty of times. It isn't a new phenomenon.

I don't disagree with anything in the 2nd quoted portion of your post. And I am not basing any conclusions on this one game; my main point is Tomlin's teams consistently play down to the worst teams they face and I, for one, and quite tired of it.

P

POP

Firing and turning over the coaching staff every time the team goes through a rough stretch is how you become the Browns. Seems to be working great for them. The Steelers have been consistently solid over the years for a reason. Because they don't overreact and blow it all up every two years.

While your above point is valid, it has little, or nothing, to do with my original point. If you hadn't noticed, I never called for anyone to be fire after this game. All I stated was that Tomlin's teams seem to be consistently unprepared and focused when playing the worst teams.

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score

Ironically, I was more concerned about this week's game than I am next week's. As I was searching for a link to the game today, I told my wife I don't know why I bother, there's no way they're going to beat a 1-4 team.

P

POP

Good Lord people have some short memories. Either that or look at the past with with rose colored glasses. Cowher's teams lost to ****** opponents about as often as Tomlin's do.

No they didn't. Cowher's teams routinely routed the poor teams. Even when Tomlin does manage to win against the 25% win record teams, he barely does so.

Did Cowher EVER lose to underdogs? Sure. Did he lose to the very worst teams consistently like MT? Not even close.

M

Mavros

Ben was injured and after the Dolph9ins scored the last touchdown why did Tomlin put Ben back in the game again with no chance to win and the Phins teeing off on Ben ? I guess the moron head coach was not playing in his fears once again.

mdk2

Reaction score
Ben was injured and after the Dolph9ins scored the last touchdown why did Tomlin put Ben back in the game again with no chance to win and the Phins teeing off on Ben ? I guess the moron head coach was not playing in his fears once again.

Ben says he's not coming out of the game no matter what the score. Said the same thing after the Eagle's game. He wants to be out on the field... now is it smart of him? No, especially with a bum knee.

deljzc

Reaction score
It was a bad game by almost everyone involved. Coaches on down to the #45 guy active for the game. They can all take blame.

They played flat. The sack Ben took that knocked them out of field goal range and would have given us an 11-3 lead told me all I needed to know. The team didn't have the "smart" hat on for the day. The stupid Steelers came to play and Tomlin has too many games where his players play stupid, non-situational football and don't seem to know **** that's going on around them. It's like 1 out of every 5 games this team just plays with their head buried in the sand intent on pounding their helmets against the wall no matter what is happening in the game. The run game was working but god damn it the scouting report says we should be able to throw, so let's keep throwing!!! **** field position and FG's.... we're the best offense EVER.... we don't need to care about the small **** anymore!!!

This is the way this team played today. And Roethlisberger was the #1 felon. But Tomlin and Haley are supposed to NOT let this happen from Ben anymore. Not at ******* age 34 or whatever he is.

Stupid runs downhill. Obviously this team, from the coaches on down, had WAY too big of heads for themselves and didn't take the Dolphins seriously enough. And didn't expect or practice any plan B or plan C if their perfect game plan didn't work. That's how you lose to awful teams. When you stop thinking your **** still stinks. Coaches on down.

chipped ham

Reaction score

The offense still had a chance to make something of this game with 12 mins left in the 4th. If Ben can go, he ******* goes. Unfortunately, his dog **** play today was a main reason for this loss. The offense as whole has been ******* awful in two losses this season, scoring a grand 18 points. And one of those touchdowns, today, was a garbage time td. In other words, they were good enough to put up 11 ******* points in two losses while the game was somewhat in realistic reach. I don't know that you're going to win many ******* games putting up those kinds of numbers.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin is the coach if he wants Ben to come out then he makes him come out.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't put this loss on Ben... I put it on Tomlin, Haley, Butler, Ben, Brown, and the ENTIRE defense. Lets start with the obvious, HORRIBLE game plan. We go into the game severely hobbled on both sides of the ball. We are missing Wheaton (may not be putting up huge numbers or having a great year, but he's a player that KNOWS the offense, and he does have tape out there that shows his potential), we have Coates playing with one hand, still missing our starting RT AND his backup. On Defense we are missing our best defensive player in Heyward, Shazier is still out, and IN the game we lose Mitchell for a brief period and Vince Williams as well.

So what does the coaching staff do? They rely on Coates to spread the field with his speed, only problem is that he can't catch consistently with two good hands, so no one is afraid of him. Cameron Wake? Who's he, lets put our TE on him and don't give him help. The dolphins D has been carved up by the running game, and Bell was doing that fairly easily, but they have a ton of sacks. We should have been running the ball down their throats and hitting them with play action when they started to sneak players in the box. Yes Ben is our franchise, but you play the matchups, and this game we didn't play the right ones.

On Defense, Tannehill is the most sacked QB in the league, he's been sacked 11 times the past two weeks, what do we do? We start Chikillo, don't blitz, and play the biggest cushions I've seen this season. Not to mention that everyone forgot how to tackle. Too many missed tackles, too many missed assignments, too many bad defensive sets. The defense REALLY stunk it up today.

Ben, forced the ball to Brown on his first INT, and then came back into the game and was erratic to say the least. We didn't try any screens today, and Bell didn't touch the ball enough in the run game. Brown seemed to lose interest about halfway through the third quarter.

Just like the Jets and KC games were total team efforts for the wins, this was a total team effort in the loss. It was feast or famine out there on both sides of the ball, unfortunately it was mostly famine

M

Mavros

The offense still had a chance to make something of this game with 12 mins left in the 4th. If Ben can go, he ******* goes. Unfortunately, his dog **** play today was a main reason for this loss. The offense as whole has been ******* awful in two losses this season, scoring a grand 18 points. And one of those touchdowns, today, was a garbage time td. In other words, they were good enough to put up 11 ******* points in two losses while the game was somewhat in realistic reach. I don't know that you're going to win many ******* games putting up those kinds of numbers.

AFTER the last Miami touchdown we put Ben in down 30-15 with a minute left , the game LOST , and they teed off on ben, the announcers said they kept throwing him to the ground like a ragdoll, just like in the garbage time of the Philly game, More stupidity from Tomlin.

bmoritz

Reaction score
I am so ******* sick of the Tomlin excuses. Seriously, why is this okay? We CONSISTENTLY lose to bad teams because we are not prepared. This ***** defense (notice I didn't call the players coaches *******, but the defensive scheme sure is) is offensive to be called the Pittsburgh Steelers. We don't blitz, and we don't challenge receivers, it's a joke. Our defense is coached to play like they're scared. You don't have Blake around to blame anymore. You don't have Lebaue around to blame anymore. This has been a problem that has gotten worse since every year since Tomlin has took over. This is HIS defense, and it flat out doesn't work.

I hear the excuses "He shouldn't have to motivate players. He shouldn't have to prepare them, they're professionals. He doesn't call the offense. He doesn't call the defense. He shouldn't have to tell them to change things mid game". The what the **** IS he responsible for? I've literally never seen a head coach held less accountable than Tomlin. And he NEVER accepts responsibility. The other thing I hear constantly is "You don't know he's not preparing them. You're not in the locker room". Well, none of us need to be in the locker room, we can see years worth of the results, and they speak for themselves. I am ready to declare that which I have had a nagging suspicion for years: Tomlin is a flat out fraud, and the Rooneys and many Steelers fans have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. He is wasting the prime careers of a hall of fame QB and WR. He is too stupid and/or arrogant to change anything, and he never will. We will continue to be at best a slightly above 500 team, but will not win another big one with him. This is not what I want, it is what has become painfully obvious. For the life of me, I can't see how many of you don't see it. What will it take?

As far as the other coaches, I would do what I can to retain all of the offensive coaches. I think they're doing a good job. Defensively, the only one I would keep is Porter. Everybody else is gone. And laugh all you want, and being a Buckeyes fan this makes me want to throw up a bit, but I would throw everything at Jim Harbaugh to try to get him to come here. Yes, he's a pain in the ***, but he is 100 times the coach Tomlin is, and has been successful everywhere he's gone. There would be a ton of good candidates who would do better than Tomlin.

I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, even when all sense says he's a failure. But I can't do it anymore. I hate what this idiot has done to my team, in particular the defense. We need to wake up and move on from him. I know I'll get a lot of flack, and that's fine. I don't really care. And I won't question the fandom of those who disagree. I just have to get this out, and I hope the Rooneys wise up. Rant over.

EDIT: Now to be fair, Colbert also deserves a starring part in this **** show, and I think it's time to move on from him too. Too many swings and misses at the linebacker and DB spots.

Last edited:

bmoritz

Reaction score
Antdrewjosh, I have one question for you. Putting aside crappy games, all of us would agree that the Steelers have been more successful than not in most games. We can argue about whether that degree of success is enough or not, but I digress. Do you think Ben or Tomlin has had more input into that success? Serious question.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
AFTER the last Miami touchdown we put Ben in down 30-15 with a minute left , the game LOST , and they teed off on ben, the announcers said they kept throwing him to the ground like a ragdoll, just like in the garbage time of the Philly game, More stupidity from Tomlin.

Banned after 18 posts? That didn't take long.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
It was a bad game by almost everyone involved. Coaches on down to the #45 guy active for the game. They can all take blame.

They played flat. The sack Ben took that knocked them out of field goal range and would have given us an 11-3 lead told me all I needed to know. The team didn't have the "smart" hat on for the day. The stupid Steelers came to play and Tomlin has too many games where his players play stupid, non-situational football and don't seem to know **** that's going on around them. It's like 1 out of every 5 games this team just plays with their head buried in the sand intent on pounding their helmets against the wall no matter what is happening in the game. The run game was working but god damn it the scouting report says we should be able to throw, so let's keep throwing!!! **** field position and FG's.... we're the best offense EVER.... we don't need to care about the small **** anymore!!!

This is the way this team played today. And Roethlisberger was the #1 felon. But Tomlin and Haley are supposed to NOT let this happen from Ben anymore. Not at ******* age 34 or whatever he is.

Stupid runs downhill. Obviously this team, from the coaches on down, had WAY too big of heads for themselves and didn't take the Dolphins seriously enough. And didn't expect or practice any plan B or plan C if their perfect game plan didn't work. That's how you lose to awful teams. When you stop thinking your **** still stinks. Coaches on down.

The dolphins had some penalty issues, otherwise they score 35 points or more. This defense can't win a game on a day the offense is struggling.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Antdrewjosh, I have one question for you. Putting aside crappy games, all of us would agree that the Steelers have been more successful than not in most games. We can argue about whether that degree of success is enough or not, but I digress. Do you think Ben or Tomlin has had more input into that success? Serious question.

Ben is the franchise and without him we would suck. When he plays well we play well. He is hugely responsible for our success. We don't win any of the recent lowB repuSs with out him. It's a QB driven league and if you don't have a franchise one you are not going to win..that being said you can have one and not win. Good coaches become great coaches with Franchise QBs. Bad coaches can still suck with one and turn that franchise guy into a turd.. there aren't many great coaches who didn't have a good QB.

I went on in this thread because we do have a franchise QB and we build our gameplan around him every week. So he has to play well for us to win..it's not like we switch up and focus on other players to play well. It's Ben.

Lastly to answer your Question again no I don't think Tomlin or any other coach would have as much success with out Ben. Every good or great team has a good or great QB. But you can also be a bad Coach and ruin a QB that hasn't happened here. Ben has become one of the best. But theses type of games happen to often to him and the team. And that's the reason why he hasn't entered that MVP discussion every year yet.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben is the franchise and without him we would suck. When he plays well we play well. He is hugely responsible for our success. We don't win any of the recent lowB repuSs with out him. It's a QB driven league and if you don't have a franchise one you are not going to win..that being said you can have one and not win. Good coaches become great coaches with Franchise QBs. Bad coaches can still suck with one and turn that franchise guy into a turd.. there aren't many great coaches who didn't have a good QB.

I went on in this thread because we do have a franchise QB and we build our gameplan around him every week. So he has to play well for us to win..it's not like we switch up and focus on other players to play well. It's Ben.

Lastly to answer your Question again no I don't think Tomlin or any other coach would have as much success with out Ben. Every good or great team has a good or great QB. But you can also be a bad Coach and ruin a QB that hasn't happened here. Ben has become one of the best. But theses type of games happen to often to him and the team. And that's the reason why he hasn't entered that MVP discussion yet.

Yes I think some coaches would have success ( win vs bad to average teams ) without Ben. We have Bell and Williams. Neither were used enough with the lead. The coach in New England can win without Brady because he and his staff prepare their players and are smart to know what to use.

I aloe think a smarter GM would have upgraded from Landry Jones by now.

bmoritz

Reaction score
First off, thanks for answering, and it's a good answer. I agree that Tomlin hasn't ruined a great QB. My problem is that because of Tomlin's deficiencies, we are wasting a great QB's prime years. And I also agree Ben has games that he sucks, like yesterday. With that said, I think his good FAR outweighs the bad. The same cannot be said, IMHO, for Tomlin.