• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What round should the Steelers draft a replacement for JuJu Smith-Schuster?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The wide receiver position is the deepest I have seen in years. The Steelers are in need of replacing JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, and perhaps even Ray-Ray McCloud. All three receivers are set to become free agents this month, so getting at least one receiver by way of re-signing, free agency, or the NFL Draft is a must. How high of a priority the wide receiver position is on the Steelers board will depend on how they feel about Diontae Johnson‘s progression and how far Chase Claypool has regressed.

I will give you a name in each round of the upcoming NFL Draft in April the Steelers should have interest in below:

Round One​

Drake London in my opinion is the best college wide receiver in this draft. His body control is absolutely amazing, he is a natural hand-catcher and regularly high points the ball. He is terrific after the catch fighting for extra yards, he has shown nuances in his route running to create separation, and he plays the position like a power forward in basketball always getting position to make a play on the ball. The only real negative I can think of is he sometimes gets lazy with his route running instead just relying on his size and strength to just out man his defender for the ball. He will need to stay disciplined in the NFL when he is facing better defensive backs each week. I think London has a very high ceiling but what I really like is his floor is high as his size. Hands and body control will translate very well in the NFL. He should immediately be an outside receiver.

High End: AJ Green
Low End: Mike Williams
Highlights

Round Two

George Pickens could definitely rise this offseason with some good workouts and proving his health is not a concern. But as this draft is ridiculously deep at receiver, I keep him in the second round. Pickens was a 5-star recruit coming out of Alabama and he immediately paid dividends for the Georgia Bulldogs catching 49 balls for 727 yards and 8 scores. His sophomore campaign was hindered by the pandemic and injury. Pickens managed similar per game numbers only playing in 8 contests having 36 grabs with 513 yards and 6 scores. In his final season with Georgia, Pickens was able to recover from his ACL injury and get back on the field. Though limited, he did have a 52-yard catch vs Alabama to help secure the Bulldogs National Championship. Pickens has above average speed, body control and hands. He does a nice job with yards after the catch and is your more typical X receiver using his speed to get position on the defensive back. Pickens regularly utilizes his ability to stop and long arms to snag back shoulder passes.

High End: Julio Jones
Low End: Robert Meachum
Highlights

Round Three

Wan’Dale Robinson is a playmaker for the Kentucky Wildcats. After beginning his career at Nebraska, Robinson transferred after two marginal seasons but quickly showed why he was a former 4-star recruit. Robinson is dangerous with the ball in his hands and his quick twitch athleticism is undeniable when you put on the tape. He has loose hips and uses his change of direction skills to get open or to make people miss. He has better than average hands and regularly makes catches in traffic. He adjusts well to the football in the air and regularly makes his QB look good by getting into position to make the catch. The only negative I really have is his speed is average at best. Should be a good slot receiver.

High End: Randall Cobb
Low End: Peter Warrick
Highlights

Round Four

Tre Turner is higher on my board than most so I’ll put him here as a steal. I doubt he’s a riser as I feel his athleticism isn’t going to blow him up draft boards. I feel he is a solid 4.5 40-yard dash guy with probably a better than average vertical, but everything else is somewhere in the middle.

What I like about Turner is he’s a good route runner even with the limited need in Virginia Tech’s space concept passing game. Turner regularly sets up his man to create separation pushing up field on go routes. He also does a wonderful job tracking the ball in the air to put himself in position for the catch. He is a natural hands catcher and does an excellent job in traffic or climbing the ladder to high point the ball. You can see he has basketball experience the way he positions himself when the ball is in the air to shield it from the defender and allow only him the opportunity to catch it. He does a lot of sweep runs and is effective following his blockers and fighting for extra yards. He also does a nice job after the catch making guys miss and getting yards after the catch. He has enough speed, but he’s not a burner by any means. He will need to run crisp routes to create separation in the NFL. He is a good perimeter run blocker and does a nice job keeping his man at bay and allowing the back to turn the corner. He also for some reason has a bad habit of jumping when catching the ball on throws that do not need to be jumped for. He has left some yards on the field wasting motion and time doing that.

High End: Hines Ward
Low End: Isaiah Ford
Highlights

Round Five

Now again I have Romeo Doubs much higher on my board, but looking at the consensus he could easily slip down boards, especially considering how deep of a receiver draft class this is. Doubs is a bigger receiver who relies on his size and his long speed. He might not have a great 40-yard dash time, but don’t let that fool you. Once he gets moving those long legs, he isn’t easy to catch. He has big hands and is good about high pointing the ball. He has a big frame that he uses to fend of defenders for 50/50 balls where he usually comes out ahead on. His route tree could use some work as he really relies a lot on speed and having a QB he’s on the same page with. Might need to work on the nuances of getting separation in the NFL.

High End: Dez Bryant
Low End: Limas Sweed
Highlights

Round Six​

Josh Johnson from Tulsa really came on strong his final season. He had 82 catches for 1,087 yards and 6 scores. This includes an 8 catch 149 yards and 1 TD game against Ohio State, a 9 catch 159 yards and 1 TD game against Temple, and 6 grabs for 117 yards and 1 TD against SMU.

Johnson does his best work out of the slot and against zone doing a phenomenal job finding space and giving his QB a nice target to work with. He does a nice job wasting no time and working up the field after a catch getting extra yards. He also primarily uses his hands to catch though I did see a few instances where he let the ball get to his body. Johnson has improved the nuances of route running over the years, but there’s more work to be done. He needs to sell his fakes harder and be more deceptive in his routes, but that is something that can be learned.

High End: Antonio Brown
Low End: Eli Rogers
Highlights

Round Seven

Danny Gray was a top JUCO transfer and ended up going to the Mustangs spread offense to showcase his speed and pass catching prowess. SMU had a trio of good receivers with other draft eligible receiver Reggie Roberson Jr. and Junior pass-catcher Rashee Rice all contributing in the passing game. Roberson and Rice were more of your move the chains possession receivers, while Gray was your big play weapon averaging over 16 yards a reception. Gray was not tasked with needing to know a variety of routes or techniques as he primarily was the take the top off the defense receiver, and opened up the passing game underneath. He did do a nice job breaking in and out of his routes to set up his man for the deep ball and did a nice job adjusting to the ball when in the air. He also is a natural hands-catcher and usually catches the ball away from his body.

He though has had moments where his lack of concentration or peaks his eyes upfield before securing the ball — something he will need to improve on in the NFL. He also does not have experience in returning the football which will not help his draft status. I am not sure he is ready to run a go route vs an NFL defense and he might need to season on the practice squad until he is more of a complete receiver.

High End: Mike Wallace
Low End: Roscoe Parrish
Highlights

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Doubs could be a big steal in the 5th if he develops.

Any thoughts on Alec Pierce in the 3rd round?

I wouldnt close the door on JuJu coming back. Hopefully his first foray into Free agency woke him up a little and he and his agent have calmed down a little on his worth.

The biggest joke i have seen is him going to the Patriots. I don't think JuJu could handle playing for Belicheck. His Social Media "improve my brand" stuff will not fly there at all!

How in the brown backdoor is Jameson Williams not on this list???
Left off Skyy too. I already have some unfunny puns to throw out once he is drafted. Like, "the Skyy is the limit". In the event he pulls a Claypool on a contested catch, "the Skyy is falling".

**** I mean c'mon.

Your Volunteers have sooooo many options for us...
you don't see me pimping any of them.
though, to be fair, i was on the Jauan Jennings bandwagon and the one hitched to Trey Smith. getting them would have given us better options this draft.

hope he falls to round 4 or 5

Jaivon Heiligh NFL Draft 2022: Scouting Report for Coastal Carolina WR​

BR NFL SCOUTING DEPARTMENT

peljulvvpdseyxqqnuah.jpg

Scott Winters/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
HEIGHT: 6’0 1/4”
WEIGHT: 200

POSITIVES
— Has good height and length for the position.
— Good overall athlete who is a long strider with good long speed. Quick-twitch athlete despite his length.
— Above-average on his releases and can consistently beat the press. Wins with adequate foot quickness and good lateral burst.
— Natural catcher. Good hands and comfortable extending away from his body to snatch throws. Has long arms but still consistently catches at his body.
— Above-average route-runner with good body control and understands how to stay friendly to the QB.

NEGATIVES
— Can be loose on his route breaks. Will telegraph when he is breaking by rising up and dropping his hands.

— Below-average play strength. Slighter frame and doesn’t always sustain his blocks. Can get knocked off his route.

2021 STATISTICS
13 G, 66 REC, 1,128 YDS (17.1 AVG), 7 TD

NOTES
— 2021 first-team All-Sun Belt
— 2020 first-team All-Sun Belt

OVERALL
Heiligh is a long, twitchy outside receiver who can play a handful of snaps from the slot because of his body control and feel for space. He has good hands and is very comfortable using his length to extend for throws away from his body, and his length is not a hindrance on throws at his body since he is such a natural catcher.
He can consistently win versus press coverage because of his foot quickness and balance. His quick-twitch athleticism shows up as he makes cornerbacks feel uncomfortable with his sudden movements.
Heiligh is an above-average route-runner with a feel for space and the ability to consistently stay tight when breaking on routes. His balance and ability to sink show up on routes such as curls and in-breakers when he consistently stays friendly to the quarterback after he breaks. He still has room to improve as far as route polish goes, as he can sometimes telegraph when he is about to break by dropping his hands and raising his upper body.

But he did show improvement in this regard as the season went along. He also displays awareness for his blocking assignments and on route concepts, but his play strength is below average when blocking and can lead to him getting bumped off a bit on his route.
Overall, Heiligh’s length, hands and overall athleticism give him the upside of a good starting No. 2 receiver who primarily works on the outside. He has enough route-running ability at all three levels to be an immediate contributor but will need to continue to improve on his play strength to be more of a tangible player when the offense runs the ball. His natural ability to catch and use his length will allow him to be a contributor in the red zone as well.

GRADE: 7.4 (High-Level Backup/Potential Starter - 3rd Round)
OVERALL RANK: 66
POSITION RANK: WR13
PRO COMPARISON: Donovan Peoples-Jones

If Limas Sweed is in the description, I think most people around these parts are running the other direction fast! Sure had high hopes for the guy, but damn…..

hope he falls to round 4 or 5

Jaivon Heiligh NFL Draft 2022: Scouting Report for Coastal Carolina WR​

BR NFL SCOUTING DEPARTMENT

peljulvvpdseyxqqnuah.jpg

Scott Winters/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
HEIGHT: 6’0 1/4”
WEIGHT: 200

POSITIVES
— Has good height and length for the position.
— Good overall athlete who is a long strider with good long speed. Quick-twitch athlete despite his length.
— Above-average on his releases and can consistently beat the press. Wins with adequate foot quickness and good lateral burst.
— Natural catcher. Good hands and comfortable extending away from his body to snatch throws. Has long arms but still consistently catches at his body.
— Above-average route-runner with good body control and understands how to stay friendly to the QB.

NEGATIVES
— Can be loose on his route breaks. Will telegraph when he is breaking by rising up and dropping his hands.

— Below-average play strength. Slighter frame and doesn’t always sustain his blocks. Can get knocked off his route.

2021 STATISTICS
13 G, 66 REC, 1,128 YDS (17.1 AVG), 7 TD

NOTES
— 2021 first-team All-Sun Belt
— 2020 first-team All-Sun Belt

OVERALL
Heiligh is a long, twitchy outside receiver who can play a handful of snaps from the slot because of his body control and feel for space. He has good hands and is very comfortable using his length to extend for throws away from his body, and his length is not a hindrance on throws at his body since he is such a natural catcher.
He can consistently win versus press coverage because of his foot quickness and balance. His quick-twitch athleticism shows up as he makes cornerbacks feel uncomfortable with his sudden movements.
Heiligh is an above-average route-runner with a feel for space and the ability to consistently stay tight when breaking on routes. His balance and ability to sink show up on routes such as curls and in-breakers when he consistently stays friendly to the quarterback after he breaks. He still has room to improve as far as route polish goes, as he can sometimes telegraph when he is about to break by dropping his hands and raising his upper body.

But he did show improvement in this regard as the season went along. He also displays awareness for his blocking assignments and on route concepts, but his play strength is below average when blocking and can lead to him getting bumped off a bit on his route.
Overall, Heiligh’s length, hands and overall athleticism give him the upside of a good starting No. 2 receiver who primarily works on the outside. He has enough route-running ability at all three levels to be an immediate contributor but will need to continue to improve on his play strength to be more of a tangible player when the offense runs the ball. His natural ability to catch and use his length will allow him to be a contributor in the red zone as well.

GRADE: 7.4 (High-Level Backup/Potential Starter - 3rd Round)
OVERALL RANK: 66
POSITION RANK: WR13
PRO COMPARISON: Donovan Peoples-Jones
Having season tickets to Coastal games, I’ve seen this guy play a lot. And when he’s on he’s in and can change a game. Small conference guy that plays like no game is too big for him.

We need a slot receiver. Our X and Z are set. We'll find one on day 3.