• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What the Steelers’ Surprising Draft Revealed About Their Quarterback Plan for 2022

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have finalized their 2022 NFL Draft class with a big emphasis on the quarterback position. Not only did they draft quarterback Kenny Pickett in the 1st round, they decided to double down and select quarterback Chris Oladokun out of South Dakota State.

Steelers 2022 Draft Class

Photo via Steelers.com

Steelers’ 2022 NFL Draft Prospect QB Chris Oladokun is a HUGE Sleeper Pick

As of right now, Pittsburgh has their four camp arms they like to typically have heading into off-season activities. Pickett, Oladokun, Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph make up the group that will surely be watched underneath a microscope by the NFL world. With how Pittsburgh drafted this past weekend, Head Coach Mike Tomlin and now former General Manager Kevin Colbert may have tipped their hand with how they plan to piece together their opening day roster, because I have a hard time seeing more than two make it past final cuts.

Pittsburgh typically only has 2-3 quarterbacks active on gameday and I don’t see a trend like that stopping any time soon. The late Dwayne Haskins was the 3rd quarterback on the roster last season for Pittsburgh, but that seemed to be more an insurance policy just in case 2019 repeated itself versus their actual desire. For reference, Haskins was only active once last season. This was an emergency need because Ben Roethlisberger tested positive for COVID-19 late in the week against the Detroit Lions.

So how would things pan out out for this group? Pickett is a sure fire lock to make the 53-man roster, I do not think any explanation is needed further on that. Rudolph or Trubisky will likely be battling it out to see who will be remaining with Pittsburgh for the 2022 season. Trubisky is the obvious favorite to remain with the Steelers, whether it be as the starter or in a backup role for multiple reasons. Right now, cutting Rudolph would save them $3 million in cap space, while cutting Trubisky would be roughly an additional $1.5 million hit. Financials aside, the Steelers also felt it necessary to not only bring in Trubisky to battle Rudolph, but to use their 1st round pick on Pickett, although Tomlin has said himself it is an open competition. The writing is simply on the wall that Rudolph’s time with Pittsburgh is coming to an end, unless he pulled off the unthinkable and won the starting job.

Steelers QB Chris Oladokun

Steelers QB Chris Oladokun

After sorting through the Rudolph-Trubisky battle, that leaves Oladokun. Now expectations for him should be less than 0 given he was a 7th round selection and the 2nd quarterback Pittsburgh selected this year. That would leave him as a great candidate for the practice squad, given the expectation for him was he would be an undrafted free agent. Pittsburgh felt adamant enough to spend a draft selection on Oladokun in order to bring him into their organization rather than risk him go elsewhere as an undrafted free agent. I would say this is a strong indication they want to imprint themselves on him, so when it comes time to sign practice squad players, they will be able to retain his services. This would leave the Steelers with three quarterbacks at their disposal (two on the active roster, one on the practice squad), but more wiggle room to play with in regards to the remaining roster construction. They could opt to keep more receivers on the roster since their room is very youthful. They could choose to keep an additional defender to help with special teams or sub packages. The one additional player could be rather impactful for Tomlin and company.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Would the Steelers really only carry two quarterbacks? Or do you think they learned the risks with the season-ending injury to Roethlisberger a few years ago? Drop a comment below!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

There might be an argument Mason Rudolf refused to come back to the team as the #3 option (after being almost the starter after Roethlisberger's retirement). He might just say to the team, "Please release me, I want to at least be a backup somewhere where I'm an injury away from playing". That isn't Pittsburgh right now.

I'm not sure Rudolf is good enough even to get that, but if there are few injuries around the league, he might think there are greener pastures just being on the free agent market and picking the best option for his future. So it could be a win-win decision to release Rudolf.

That said, Oladokun is a 7th round pick. They don't make rosters like 80% of the time. So the odds are we sign a vet minimum (or some other castoff) just as much as Oladokun making the roster. Honestly, why keep him on the roster? If there IS an injury to the top-2 (without Rudolf on the roster), our answer will be to immediately go sign a veteran, NOT promote Oladokun into a vital, active-roster roll. I guess the kid could be a diamond during training camp and just blow the coaches away, but that is a long shot.

I think the smart thing is keep 2 on the roster, release Rudolf (mutual decision), and PS Oladokun. If there is an injury, the free agent market will be the answer.

There might be an argument Mason Rudolf refused to come back to the team as the #3 option (after being almost the starter after Roethlisberger's retirement). He might just say to the team, "Please release me, I want to at least be a backup somewhere where I'm an injury away from playing". That isn't Pittsburgh right now.

I'm not sure Rudolf is good enough even to get that, but if there are few injuries around the league, he might think there are greener pastures just being on the free agent market and picking the best option for his future. So it could be a win-win decision to release Rudolf.

That said, Oladokun is a 7th round pick. They don't make rosters like 80% of the time. So the odds are we sign a vet minimum (or some other castoff) just as much as Oladokun making the roster. Honestly, why keep him on the roster? If there IS an injury to the top-2 (without Rudolf on the roster), our answer will be to immediately go sign a veteran, NOT promote Oladokun into a vital, active-roster roll. I guess the kid could be a diamond during training camp and just blow the coaches away, but that is a long shot.

I think the smart thing is keep 2 on the roster, release Rudolf (mutual decision), and PS Oladokun. If there is an injury, the free agent market will be the answer.
Sure if Rudy makes waves let him test the market. See if we can get a box of Ho hos for him or outright release him. Under that scenerio. If he doesn't cause waves I keep him for depth.

Rudolf's value should be 5th round trade but more than likely we will take a 6th.

Don't just cut him, try trade first, obviously it takes a 2nd team to trade with.

If nothing then like slash says....................... keep or cut and I think some have said it would be a $3 mil cap savings.

Salute the nation

I don’t think they will trade or release Rudy until after training camp. I think the intention is going to camp with four QBs and that’s where we are. That’s a ****** deal for Rudy but they are going to do what’s best for them.
Mitch has to be punching walls right about now thinking he got duped into signing here. He was hoping to restart his career here and now we draft a QB in first round.

I don’t think they will trade or release Rudy until after training camp. I think the intention is going to camp with four QBs and that’s where we are. That’s a ****** deal for Rudy but they are going to do what’s best for them.
Mitch has to be punching walls right about now thinking he got duped into signing here. He was hoping to restart his career here and now we draft a QB in first round.
Well not too much of a **** deal he still is getting paid. And paid well. And still has a chance to compete. If he beats out the other two in camp he starts. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

the one guy who should be pissed is Mitch. Dude was seemingly doing everything right ... then draft night's clock struck midnight and Pickett showed up wearing glass slippers. At 27, Mitch still has a long career ahead of him...and I'd think he'd prefer being a starter instead of mentoring a kid. Although there's not many places where he can just walk into a starting role. The only other team showing serious interest in him was the Giants, and they're still liking Daniel Jones.

Ogredolph has no one - literally no one - to blame for his current position but himself. He was put in place to BE Ben's heir, but ... due to his own ****** play forced the FO to look elsewhere. Rudy now has "journeyman" written all over him.

My opinion - Trubisky is the starter Day 1, with Pickett the immediate backup. Rudolph is either IR'ed for the year or traded. Trubisky and Pickett have similar tangibles, and while Mitch has "some" NFL experience, the ceiling is likely higher for Pickett.

I'd also guess that Trubisky showed the FO and coaching staff something we're not privy to, which led to selecting Pickett.

I doubt Rudolph makes waves. He knew he wasn’t going to be handed anything. I think going qb in the first probably irked him but it doesn’t change the fact that he has a chance. I do hope the Steelers start the best QB in camp. I’d hate them to just hand someone the starter role because of cash committed or draft status. It’s definitely a tougher QB room today than it was 6 weeks ago. But if you are a competitor you don’t worry yourself about things outside your control. I’m looking forward to seeing a hard fought battle in camp.

Let's not go crazy over this 7th round QB... He was not great at at South Dakota he is a camp arm and at best practice squad player. Unless Pickett comes in and just kills it, I see no issues with Mitch #1 Mason #2 and Pickett #3... You move on from Mason unless Mitch blows chunks.

I doubt Rudolph makes waves. He knew he wasn’t going to be handed anything. I think going qb in the first probably irked him but it doesn’t change the fact that he has a chance. I do hope the Steelers start the best QB in camp. I’d hate them to just hand someone the starter role because of cash committed or draft status. It’s definitely a tougher QB room today than it was 6 weeks ago. But if you are a competitor you don’t worry yourself about things outside your control. I’m looking forward to seeing a hard fought battle in camp.

EXCELLENT post, thanks Ford

I've always wanted best player to play regardless of draft plaement or favortism. If the player shows it all training camp long then he deserves to start.

Saute the nation

You figure Mitch got two years , nice five million signing bonus, he has to be shaking his head. Hard to get much take on Mitch in Chicago with the line he had, he was on the ground a lot and his replacement really with the hyped did not fair much better except he was wanted there. With our line no matter who is the QB will be taking some hits. Rudolf more than likely thought he would get a chance, being behind Ben all these years but now with the draft what is he thinking. I doubt he is making waves at all.