• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What you make of Penix?

I have a question for you. If the head coach doesn't do X and O's, doesn't put players in the best position to succeed for him and the team. What exactly is he doing that is better than mediocre?

I'm not sure what he does. He either has his hands in everything or nothing. Bradshaw called him a cheerleader. Being a nice guy and having players like you hasn't produced results.

If if it's the case of everything, then we're in a serious pickle. If it's nothing, then he's just a figurehead and they should fire him and spend the money on better teachers.

Either way it's on him. He's the HC. It's also on the owner,this is his baby.

Looking cool while being a young man millionaire mentor with lax practices and ping pong tables won't get you far.

Unfortunately all I can do is watch with my chin in the palm of my hand and count the seasons off.

Looking cool while being a young man millionaire mentor with lax practices and ping pong tables won't get you far.
Wont get you far? Refresh my memory on what he makes a year. And what he’s made over his lifetime with the Steelers. He is known as a Super Bowl winner,and I’m sure will get in the HOF. He is a head coach in the NFL of the fabled Pittsburgh Steelers. 17 years.
Wont get you far? Surely you jest.

Now,of course I’m just ******* with you. I say this all with a bit of tounge in cheek. Anyone that knows me,knows I would have fired him January 9 2012. But to say the man has not gotten far in his football career /life is ridiculous.

I think he is 11 or 9 mil a year currently…………. Just out of faded memory

Salute the nation

Wont get you far? Refresh my memory on what he makes a year. And what he’s made over his lifetime with the Steelers. He is known as a Super Bowl winner,and I’m sure will get in the HOF. He is a head coach in the NFL of the fabled Pittsburgh Steelers. 17 years.
Wont get you far? Surely you jest.

Now,of course I’m just ******* with you. I say this all with a bit of tounge in cheek. Anyone that knows me,knows I would have fired him January 9 2012. But to say the man has not gotten far in his football career /life is ridiculous.
Hasn't done dick since 2010. It hasn't gone for **** since then.

He won with another coaches built team and coaches. These are facts.
Steady decline into mediocrity.
Obviously .

I'm still waiting for hell to be unleashed and so forth. Until then I'll cut my eyelids off and listen to Beethoven.

Hasn't done dick since 2010. It hasn't gone for **** since then.

He won with another coaches built team and coaches. These are facts.
Steady decline into mediocrity.
Obviously .

I'm still waiting for hell to be unleashed and so forth. Until then I'll cut my eyelids off and listen to Beethoven.

His lab has been busy coming up with the protocol of “putting the pudding back in the box”, soon to be released in print.

Salute the nation

Penix is a rhythm thrower with a cannon of an arm. Accurate on the deep ball. His problem that he locks onto his primary WR and safeties pick him off, especially in cover 2. He makes most of his bad throws after rhythm is disrupted and he needs to read through his progressions or bail on the pocket. He relies on his arm strength and makes bad decisions with the ball. I don't want to see this man in a Steeler uniform as this coaching staff would do him a great disservice in developing this young man's talents. All of what I wrote is correctable and he can be a starter in the league.

Penix is an inconsistent passer. When he's good, he's real good, but doesn't bring it every week. Really struggles when pressured. Big arm and great with the deep ball, so a skill fit with what they have in Wilson. Biggest red flag is his injury history. Major injuries while at Indiana.
I tend to agree w/ this assessment as I haven't watched all of his games. I will say that the kid has a big heart to go with his big arm and, IMO, he seems like a high-character type of guy, who can learn behind the QBs in front of him.

We now have 3 QBs on the roster. If coaches and FO see Penix as a better option than Allen - I wouldn't be upset w/ adding him to the roster in the draft...

Because they know who will be an average starter and who won't be?

🤔😉

Will Become Good Starter Within Two Years

KP didnt grade much "better" than Penix coming out of college. we've seen that show.

To be fair, Fields didnt grade much better than KP, either.

i'm all-in on giving Fields a shot this season. I don't see Russ as a long-term solution given his age.

Penix might have the worst mechanics I have ever seen from a College Quarterback. I don't think Bill Walsh could fix all his mechanical flaws and the flaws he has will end up causing him some serious arm issues as he ages. I wouldn't draft him at all. Just too big of a project for our coaching staff. He does have a rocket arm and considering the velocity he gets while using little to no lower body power is actually quite an enigma. If you want an older QB that still has a ton of upside I would say Joe Milton. He has perhaps the best arm in the draft and all the physical tools. Now Milton needs work on his mechanics especially when throwing over linebackers and putting the right angle and touch on intermediate throws. He gets a little sloppy with his footwork and balls either sail or hit in front of the receiver. BUT he has a decent foundation to work with he just needs a bit of fine tuning and consistency. Now Milton is my high ceiling low floor guy. From what I see he is going to get drafted day three and probably after round 4. If you can stash him at #3 for 2-3 years and you have a QB coach that can work with him daily and he takes the initiative to improve during the offseason you could possibly get a Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts type QB. He isn't going to read a coverage and get to 3rd or 4th progressions unless he buys time with his legs and the defense breaks down but he does have that athletic ability to extend a play long past the defensive coverage limits. He also has an arm where he can fling the ball 75 yards down field and that can really break down a defense if he extends it 5+ seconds.

Now if you want a guy that perhaps you can stash on your PS for a season or two and then bring up Kedon Slovis is your guy. He is an A+ athlete running a 4.55 forty with a 1.58 10-yard split. Now his mechanics actually have gotten worse in college which might be partially due to coaching at USC and then lack there of perhaps after leaving USC. So he is a project but like Milton if you get a QB coach strapped to his hip and he takes some initiative after the season to work on his own he has all the talent to be an Aaron Rodgers. Just does he have the drive an ambition to put in the work.

KP didnt grade much "better" than Penix coming out of college. we've seen that show.

i'm all-in on giving Fields a shot this season. I don't see Russ as a long-term solution given his age.
Not sure I see either Russ or Fields as a long term option. Both come with a decent amount of question marks.

Penix probably is a solid 2nd round option. Doubt they would go his way with all the early needs. But if he was there in the second I wouldn't hesitate.

Now if you want a guy that perhaps you can stash on your PS for a season or two and then bring up Kedon Slovis is your guy. He is an A+ athlete running a 4.55 forty with a 1.58 10-yard split. Now his mechanics actually have gotten worse in college which might be partially due to coaching at USC and then lack there of perhaps after leaving USC. So he is a project but like Milton if you get a QB coach strapped to his hip and he takes some initiative after the season to work on his own he has all the talent to be an Aaron Rodgers. Just does he have the drive an ambition to put in the work.
Slovis showed none of that athleticism at Pitt and crumbled in the face of pressure. Maybe he turned it around at BYU, but my one year watching him in person said he isn’t draftable. He would be worth it as an undrafted free agent.

Penix might have the worst mechanics I have ever seen from a College Quarterback. I don't think Bill Walsh could fix all his mechanical flaws and the flaws he has will end up causing him some serious arm issues as he ages. I wouldn't draft him at all. Just too big of a project for our coaching staff. He does have a rocket arm and considering the velocity he gets while using little to no lower body power is actually quite an enigma. If you want an older QB that still has a ton of upside I would say Joe Milton. He has perhaps the best arm in the draft and all the physical tools. Now Milton needs work on his mechanics especially when throwing over linebackers and putting the right angle and touch on intermediate throws. He gets a little sloppy with his footwork and balls either sail or hit in front of the receiver. BUT he has a decent foundation to work with he just needs a bit of fine tuning and consistency. Now Milton is my high ceiling low floor guy. From what I see he is going to get drafted day three and probably after round 4. If you can stash him at #3 for 2-3 years and you have a QB coach that can work with him daily and he takes the initiative to improve during the offseason you could possibly get a Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts type QB. He isn't going to read a coverage and get to 3rd or 4th progressions unless he buys time with his legs and the defense breaks down but he does have that athletic ability to extend a play long past the defensive coverage limits. He also has an arm where he can fling the ball 75 yards down field and that can really break down a defense if he extends it 5+ seconds.

Joe Milton.

Lost his job to Hendon Hooker season before last, and we saw how Hooker thrived under Heupel's offense. Last season Milton was handed the keys and he did a decent job, but he would still rocket a 90mph ball to the WR's ankles on a 5 yard slant or overthrow a WR by a good 10-15 yards on downfield passes. He does have the physical tools. I cannot deny that. I do considerably question his mental makeup and ability to read a defense. As tall as he is, and as big as he is, he should see WRs open before they get open. Also, he's at least as big as most LBs, so when he runs (and he runs well) he should be able to easily get a few yards.

However, I feel he'll just occupy a roster spot and go undeveloped like Tee Martin did. Milton has Dobbs' athleticism times 5, but is more Kordell reading a defense.

Joe Milton.

Lost his job to Hendon Hooker season before last, and we saw how Hooker thrived under Heupel's offense. Last season Milton was handed the keys and he did a decent job, but he would still rocket a 90mph ball to the WR's ankles on a 5 yard slant or overthrow a WR by a good 10-15 yards on downfield passes. He does have the physical tools. I cannot deny that. I do considerably question his mental makeup and ability to read a defense. As tall as he is, and as big as he is, he should see WRs open before they get open. Also, he's at least as big as most LBs, so when he runs (and he runs well) he should be able to easily get a few yards.

However, I feel he'll just occupy a roster spot and go undeveloped like Tee Martin did. Milton has Dobbs' athleticism times 5, but is more Kordell reading a defense.
If you remember I was very high on Hendon Hooker last year. I had him as a late first early 2nd round pick along with Bryce Young. I understand Milton is no Hendon Hooker and thus his floor is very low. But that untapped potential is still there. he is a high risk high reward pick. And that is why he likely is a 5th round pick at the very earliest. I also stated you will have to stash him as your #3 for 2-3 years to even have an opportunity to reach that potential. Now imo the Steelers could offer that type of development timeframe. Wilson likely starts 2024 and Fields likely only gets to compete and if he shows enough a second contract. Wilson imo would have to show enough and be cheap enough for a second contract. So 2024 Wilson, 2025 Fields. We can easily pick up a vet for the #2 spot reasonable and that would allow 2 years for Milton to sit at #3. If Fields is kicking Butt then no need to push Milton anywhere near the starting lineup but could be the #2 in year three. Depending on the extension we would try to sign Fields for and what type of guarantees would depend when Milton might get an opportunity. Maybe he never does. And if we draft him with a 6th and he ends up being the backup for a couple of years on that rookie contract I would say that was a good draft pick. If he gets cut it isn't a big loss. If he becomes the starter it would be an exceptional pick. That said I would rather take my chances on Milton on Day 3 than Penix on Day 2.

If you remember I was very high on Hendon Hooker last year. I had him as a late first early 2nd round pick along with Bryce Young. I understand Milton is no Hendon Hooker and thus his floor is very low. But that untapped potential is still there. he is a high risk high reward pick. And that is why he likely is a 5th round pick at the very earliest. I also stated you will have to stash him as your #3 for 2-3 years to even have an opportunity to reach that potential. Now imo the Steelers could offer that type of development timeframe. Wilson likely starts 2024 and Fields likely only gets to compete and if he shows enough a second contract. Wilson imo would have to show enough and be cheap enough for a second contract. So 2024 Wilson, 2025 Fields. We can easily pick up a vet for the #2 spot reasonable and that would allow 2 years for Milton to sit at #3. If Fields is kicking Butt then no need to push Milton anywhere near the starting lineup but could be the #2 in year three. Depending on the extension we would try to sign Fields for and what type of guarantees would depend when Milton might get an opportunity. Maybe he never does. And if we draft him with a 6th and he ends up being the backup for a couple of years on that rookie contract I would say that was a good draft pick. If he gets cut it isn't a big loss. If he becomes the starter it would be an exceptional pick. That said I would rather take my chances on Milton on Day 3 than Penix on Day 2.
I can agree on that point.

Slovis showed none of that athleticism at Pitt and crumbled in the face of pressure. Maybe he turned it around at BYU, but my one year watching him in person said he isn’t draftable. He would be worth it as an undrafted free agent.
Like I said he actually got worse as his college career went on. Lost a lot of his footwork from what he had in the beginning of his USC career. His time at Pitt was horrendous but besides Pickett one year who did look good? Slovis looked better at BYU but same poor accuracy. I would look at him as a priority UDFA to stash on the PS for a season and see what you can mold him into. I think you need a QB coach who can fix his mechanics and footwork and perhaps help him get past that first read. He is great reading the defense presnap and knowing where to throw the football. But if that read gets taken away he holds the ball too long. The fact he read the defense presnap shows me he isn't stupid and has football knowledge. But the fact he has a problem with his progressions shows me he needs to really focus on his processing information on the fly. That is why Pickett failed and was not worth a first round pick. it took him 5 years and Jordan Addison to presnap read a defense. He needed time as a #3 and then time as a #2 to develop the mental part of the game and to adjust to the speed. Bottom line drafting him that early was bad for the organization to force him to play too early and it was bad for his development. Everyone is looking for their franchise hall of fame QB and it pushes quarterbacks up draft boards every single year. And I can't remember an instance where a guy who started off in December looking like a 2nd or later round draft pick who moves up to that first round draft spot and ended up starting right away having success. Jordan Love who was able to sit and develop behind Rodgers was a guy who got pushed up draft boards but the Packers were smart and let him sit and develop. Even the Chiefs let Mahomes sit for a season. And those two were physically as gifted as they get. And I feel Justin Fields who has had to develop being a QB drafted by a different GM, to a different HC and learn an two offenses and the second not being one that catered to his strengths still has a lot of potential. Maybe sitting and learning for a season will really help him.

Sure they can give both a shot and still draft a QB high. Probably won't but they could. And possibly should. But as a few have mentioned that doesn't keep a QB standing.

That is the thing with the offseason to date. They have addressed some areas but missed the boat in other areas. It forces their hand on their draft approach.

Not sure that is a great approach. Just too limiting for team building.

My .02 on the QB room……. Fields is Shades latest wet dream and will be given every opportunity to be “the guy” in 2025, possibly even this year. I don’t see us drafting a quarterback until a very late day 3 flyer.

My .02 on the QB room……. Fields is Shades latest wet dream and will be given every opportunity to be “the guy” in 2025, possibly even this year. I don’t see us drafting a quarterback until a very late day 3 flyer.
Neither is under contract next year. That is some big balls dice rolling.