• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What's with this cover kids until they are 26 thing?

Are you brain dead? Why the hell shouldn't you be able to take care of your wife on your healthcare? Taking care of a 25 year old kid who should be out doing his/her own **** is different than taking care of your spouse.

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

I'll assume you either missed the part about playing devils advocate or don't know what that means.

Employers and their insurance packages only charge slightly more for covering families so any single employee is subsidizing employees covering their families. The single employee has the same complaint as the people here, it's just a different "who".

Some spouses DO get their own benefits. It all depends on the plan. coverage, and cost. Should a stay at home mom NOT have insurance because she isn't employed?

Again, Devils advocate. This is the question I am asking you to ask yourself. Just as someone's 23 year-old being covered is seemingly unfair to some, someone's spouse (and family) being covered is unfair to others. Where do you make the distinction? 23 year-old spouse, yes. 23 year-old child of a widowed single parent, no.

My wife used to be covered under my healthcare plan. It was one of the perks of working there. I had to pay about triple what I'd pay to cover just myself but it was still less expensive, deductibles were lower, etc. than if she was enrolled in her office's plan. Thanks to BommaCare she had to switch to her lousy and very expensive plan. It cost us about an extra 2k per year in premiums alone to get her covered. Then we had to deal with the outrageous deductibles higher co-pays, etc. The truly f'd up part is that if she didn't work or her company didn't offer an "affordable" plan, she could have stayed on my plan. Apparently BommaCare has something in there about a Cadillac Tax. So if your company pays over a set amount or percentage on their employees healthcare then they get hit with a monster tax. So my company came up with that strategy to avoid the Cadillac Tax.

If nothing had changed on our plan like we were told, I'd not have a problem
with BommaCare but when it causes you to come home with less money and less coverage, then I have a problem with it and see it for what it really is...Leverage, money in the pockets of the politicians who pushed this POS on us and power.

Again, Devils advocate. This is the question I am asking you to ask yourself. Just as someone's 23 year-old being covered is seemingly unfair to some, someone's spouse (and family) being covered is unfair to others. Where do you make the distinction? 23 year-old spouse, yes. 23 year-old child of a widowed single parent, no.

Yes. Because all the 23 year old kids who are on parents' insurance are children of a widowed mother.

At what age is the taxpayer no longer responsible for someone else's child?

Yes. Because all the 23 year old kids who are on parents' insurance are children of a widowed mother.

Just as all spouses are stay at home moms.

It was an example for crissake.

A stay a home spouse works too...you know the routine, cooking, cleaning, the kids, washing. The bread earner and the stay at home each have their roles, their jobs, in maintaining a family unit.
Spouses should be covered because they work.

Why at 23 should one of their kid still be covered? Why not 26? How about 30?
Just like the minimum wage debate. Why $10/hr.? Why not $11? Lets shoot for $20, $24. Ideally the minimum should be $0.00, just as free coverage for kids ends when they become adults.

Last edited:
cut-off date for coverage under mommy and daddy's insurance should be 18 unless the kid is still in high school, just my opinion.

18 is the age, as said previously, when the government considers a person an adult. Unless that person wants to buy alcohol. Go die for your country, but goddammit, you cannot buy a beer legally.

A stay a home spouse works too...you know the routine, cooking, cleaning, the kids, washing. The bread earner and the stay at home each have their roles, their jobs, in maintaining a family unit.
Spouses should be covered because they work.

Why at 23 should one of their kid still be covered? Why not 26? How about 30?
Just like the minimum wage debate. Why $10/hr.? Why not $11? Lets shoot for $20, $24. Ideally the minimum should be $0.00, just as free coverage for kids ends when they become adults.

So minimum wage should be $0, but the minimum for insurance should be +spouse, +spouse and family? That doesn't seem consistent.

I'll assume you either missed the part about playing devils advocate or don't know what that means.

Employers and their insurance packages only charge slightly more for covering families so any single employee is subsidizing employees covering their families. The single employee has the same complaint as the people here, it's just a different "who".

Slightly more? Are you ******* kidding me? My Policy goes from $180 a month for myself to $850 a month for a family policy. That is slightly more?

My wife's plan is better but it still goes from $50 for her to $500 for family.

At what age is the taxpayer no longer responsible for someone else's child?

What bugs me too is the folks with kids that get out of paying any federal taxes. In many cases, not only do they pay nothing, they get thousands more through the EIC. A guy I work with... who makes about $25k .... is married with 2 kids. His wife doesn't work. He got a tax return of $7800!!! Not only did he pay nothing, he got almost $8 grand back!!! I don't understand why having kids absolves you from paying taxes and entitles you to thousands of taxpayers money.

What bugs me too is the folks with kids that get out of paying any federal taxes. In many cases, not only do they pay nothing, they get thousands more through the EIC. A guy I work with... who makes about $25k .... is married with 2 kids. His wife doesn't work. He got a tax return of $7800!!! Not only did he pay nothing, he got almost $8 grand back!!! I don't understand why having kids absolves you from paying taxes and entitles you to thousands of taxpayers money.

Wow how conservative sounding of you. While I mostly agree I would rather see the EIC than straight welfare. At least you ore getting rewarded for having your own income.
It is an incentive to get in the work force and not collect welfare for doing nothing.

Last edited:

This is only one of many reasons we are $20 trillion in debt.

The poor don't pay their fair share.

Hillary also wanted you to pay for this guy's kids to go to daycare and college too.

Slightly more? Are you ******* kidding me? My Policy goes from $180 a month for myself to $850 a month for a family policy. That is slightly more?

My wife's plan is better but it still goes from $50 for her to $500 for family.

Relative to what it would cost to self insure a single person vs an entire family, yes $6k-$10k a year is slightly more.

Relative to what it would cost to self insure a single person vs an entire family, yes $6k-$10k a year is slightly more.

Each person in the family is is an individual rate based on age and gender...children and younger people cost less because they are at lower risk of health issues. But you don't get any kind of break just because you are adding them to a family policy vs. insuring them separately.

Each person in the family is is an individual rate based on age and gender...children and younger people cost less because they are at lower risk of health issues. But you don't get any kind of break just because you are adding them to a family policy vs. insuring them separately.

No, no, no. The "break" is having employer based benefits. The benefits to a family are more than they are to an individual when you compare what it would cost to self insure each.

This pisses me off to no end as well. I know LOTS of lower income people who get close to that amount back every year because of their kids. I'm considered low income, but can't claim my kiddo anymore. I get alimony and that bumps me up into a slightly higher bracker. Well, since alimony is income, I PAY taxes. I work 2 jobs right now, hoping to get 1 or 2 more over the summer- just so I have extra money to SAVE to pay next year's taxes!!! It's ridiculous!!!

This pisses me off to no end as well. I know LOTS of lower income people who get close to that amount back every year because of their kids. I'm considered low income, but can't claim my kiddo anymore. I get alimony and that bumps me up into a slightly higher bracker. Well, since alimony is income, I PAY taxes. I work 2 jobs right now, hoping to get 1 or 2 more over the summer- just so I have extra money to SAVE to pay next year's taxes!!! It's ridiculous!!!

Just make up names and SS numbers for kids and put them on your return. The Mexicans do it and they're not even citizens.