• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What's with this cover kids until they are 26 thing?

Just make up names and SS numbers for kids and put them on your return. The Mexicans do it and they're not even citizens.

I'm not Mexican.....so I have that going against me. I habla Anglais!!!

you look messican to me

This pisses me off to no end as well. I know LOTS of lower income people who get close to that amount back every year because of their kids. I'm considered low income, but can't claim my kiddo anymore. I get alimony and that bumps me up into a slightly higher bracker. Well, since alimony is income, I PAY taxes. I work 2 jobs right now, hoping to get 1 or 2 more over the summer- just so I have extra money to SAVE to pay next year's taxes!!! It's ridiculous!!!

And this is why so many people in your situation end up saying **** it, why work? If you quit your job you could probably be on Medicaid, get SNAP, and pay nothing in taxes. I don't know quite where that break even point is, but you're probably close to a level where you might do the same or better sitting on your *** doing nothing.

Meanwhile, just got back from a visit to DC...in the 16 years since we lived there that city has basically become Beverly Hills. There is so much ******* money there you can't believe it. And the government is crying poverty and wanting to take your 4 grand. It's a crime.

Meanwhile, just got back from a visit to DC...

...and you didn't drop by to see me. You must have been downtown seeing your man SteelVanguard. :pop2: :pop2: :pop2:

Meanwhile, just got back from a visit to DC...in the 16 years since we lived there that city has basically become Beverly Hills. There is so much ******* money there you can't believe it. .

Even the area where the mayor bought crack?

cut-off date for coverage under mommy and daddy's insurance should be 18 unless the kid is still in high school, just my opinion.

18 is the age, as said previously, when the government considers a person an adult. Unless that person wants to buy alcohol. Go die for your country, but goddammit, you cannot buy a beer legally.

I agree at some age, when the government considers a human "old enough" for something, they should be "old enough" for EVERYTHING then,
If you can vote, serve in the military, drive a car, buy/use tobacco - then you should be able to fend for yourself, buy/drink alcohol, etc.
There shouldn't be varying ages of being old enough.

HOWEVER, with that said, for the purpose of health insurance, I believe it should revert to the days of before the ACA, which was typically 23 with most carriers.
This was to account for children still supported by their parents that are attending college full time.
If you're going to school full time, straight out of high school and continuing your education, and going home for the summer and living with your parents, I see no issue with that.
But yes 26, or her in Ohio the ripe age of 28, kids being under their parents' health plan is UH-TARDED!

...and you didn't drop by to see me. You must have been downtown seeing your man SteelVanguard. :pop2: :pop2: :pop2:

It was a quick hitter...dropped off my son at his cousin's house, drove to hotel, changed, went to the National Building Museum for the Brewer's Ball, got about 4 hours of sleep, picked up son, back in time for basketball and a choir concert on Sunday.

No, no, no. The "break" is having employer based benefits. The benefits to a family are more than they are to an individual when you compare what it would cost to self insure each.

This would be the expectation. A family policy would (should) have a overriding family deductible/maximum out of pocket that is less than what you would have for 4 individuals. There is a deductible/maximum oop per person, but 2 people (or just a little more) will meet the family numbers.

It may also be true that the family policy premiums don't change (or don't change much) if you have 2 kids vs 4 kids. Even if the premiums change, the family deductible shouldn't increase.

Oh, forgot the other part of having a group plan through your employer. Either no issues with pre-existing conditions or very limited (i.e. nothing covered for few months or somesuch). That is YUUUGE.

And this is why so many people in your situation end up saying **** it, why work? If you quit your job you could probably be on Medicaid, get SNAP, and pay nothing in taxes. I don't know quite where that break even point is, but you're probably close to a level where you might do the same or better sitting on your *** doing nothing.

Meanwhile, just got back from a visit to DC...in the 16 years since we lived there that city has basically become Beverly Hills. There is so much ******* money there you can't believe it. And the government is crying poverty and wanting to take your 4 grand. It's a crime.

Oh trust me, the thought has crossed my mind. But I was brought up better than that. The only way to better yourself is through hard work. I will never be rich, but I have a job that I LOVE and that I am good at. The ONLY way I could consider assistance if it were an emergency.

I tried taking out a loan to pay my taxes. Was turned down. My credit score itself is great....BUT...with the move and having to set up utilities and all (It's a different city so I couldn't just transfer everything), I had too many inquiries on my credit which dinged me. It's times like that that make me wish I didn't work.

I owned two franchises of a national company for 21 years, just sold them in August. From day one the top franchises in the country for sales, blowing the rest of us FAR out of the water, were in the Washington, D.C. suburbs with northern California (Silicon Valley) close behind. Ain't never a recession in D.C.

cut-off date for coverage under mommy and daddy's insurance should be 18 unless the kid is still in high school, just my opinion.

18 is the age, as said previously, when the government considers a person an adult. Unless that person wants to buy alcohol. Go die for your country, but goddammit, you cannot buy a beer legally.
Or rent a car

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

I owned two franchises of a national company for 21 years, just sold them in August. From day one the top franchises in the country for sales, blowing the rest of us FAR out of the water, were in the Washington, D.C. suburbs with northern California (Silicon Valley) close behind. Ain't never a recession in D.C.

Yep.

And the whining and moaning from government employees when they don't get a pay increase during a recession. "Boo-*******-hoo, oh, poor me."

**** off. In private industry, you get your wages reduced or you get fired during a recession.

Or rent a car

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yeah, I don't get THAT either. The ex was sent on a TDY when we were first married. He was 22. Couldn't rent a car because he was too young. Had to pull some major strings and was able to, but still. He was in uniform, serving in the AF...but hey!!! We don't trust you enough to rent a car.

Yep.

And the whining and moaning from government employees when they don't get a pay increase during a recession. "Boo-*******-hoo, oh, poor me."

**** off. In private industry, you get your wages reduced or you get fired during a recession.

I don't think anyone in the government had their take-home pay cut in half like I did.