• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Where Did the Steelers Land on ESPN’s Post-Free Agency Power Rankings?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Throughout the off-season, ESPN occasionally updates their NFL power rankings after big events such as free agency, the NFL Draft and training camp. The Pittsburgh Steelers landed at #18 on the list prior to free agency starting, but have moved down two spots to #20 following the first full week of free agency.

The Steelers have had their most active free agency in recent history, signing Mitch Trubisky, Myles Jack, James Daniels, Mason Cole, Levi Wallace and Gerard Avery. They also re-signed offensive tackle Chuks Okorafor to a three-year deal and cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon to a two-year contract. The Steelers were able to get almost every player on team-friendly contracts and sured up some major deficiencies on their team including offensive line, cornerback and inside linebacker.

Many throughout the league viewed the Steelers as having a successful off-season so far, so it’s confusing how they have regressed in the rankings. The Steelers still don’t have a real answer at quarterback, but they’re hopeful Trubisky can man the team at least for the 2022 season and show significant improvement after his one season as a backup with the Buffalo Bills. Head coach Mike Tomlin has made it abundantly clear that the Steelers are likely to select a quarterback in the draft this year, so Trubisky may not end up quarterbacking the team for the entire season.

Fellow AFC North foes all landed above the Steelers in the updated power rankings with the Baltimore Ravens at #15, the Cleveland Browns at #14, and the Cincinnati Bengals at #5. It’s no secret the Steelers are going to have their hands full with the aforementioned AFC North this year, but don’t count Tomlin and Co. out this early on. The Steelers still have cap room and are likely to sign a couple more free agents to sure up some depth.

The current ranking for the Steelers seems appropriate based on the moves they’ve made, but I see them finishing much higher than #20 after the season commences. A lot will depend on the quarterback play, but I trust the defense to keep them competitive in every game this season. Later on in the off-season, I will delve into my season long props, but the way the Steelers are currently constructed, I suspect them to have a better season than most experts are predicting for them.

Where do you think the Steelers should be at on the current rankings? Sound off in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Wow, update on the power rankings!

Next up: news on the price of yogurt in Hungary, the most popular men's socks in Lithuania, and the advances in brie manufacturing in France. All this and more on, "Sh!t Nobody Cares About."

So we don’t win the ESPN Post Free Agency Power Ranking trophy?