• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Which Steelers QB1 Was Better? Ben Roethlisberger or Terry Bradshaw?

I still put Mean Joe and rest of steel curtain, Blount, Harris, Lambert, Webster, Ham as way less replaceable then Bradshaw and his 52 percent passing and 250 attempts per season.

The point I will conceed in this is are we talking about born in 1948 and theoretically transported to this time ir born in 1985 or 1990 Terry getting all the same nutrition, training and coaching. Cause that's a big difference. I think all of those great Steelers born at the right time would still be great. But only Mean Joe and Blount could be plopped down with an off season of training. Likewise though I hated him as a kid Gretzky is clearly the GOAT of the NHL. However, plopped down in this game now. He isn't even average.
Back in my day,it was like KonaGold,Panama Red,Maui Wowie.
What kind of **** are you smokin’ out there in Saskatoon These days?
Sure are all over the place in this thread. As many have said.....it’s impossible to compare realistically.
Basically you have called Terry stupid,John slow and overrated,Gretzky the GOAT,but now not even average.
All to fit your own idiotic narrative. You’re like those clickbait article writers we love to criticize.

Gretzky had eyes in the back of his head and an instinct unmatched. Transformed the game. Not that long ago. He would do quite fine today. Unbelievable. And I was a Mario guy.

Terry and Ben were very similar. Terry had a cannon just like Ben. Terry threw countless bonehead interceptions just like Ben. Terry took huge dirty hits and got up,tough as nails......just like Ben. Terry’s intelligence factor on the field was questioned many times......just like Ben’s. Terry had a great supporting cast. I really believe that Ben was surrounded by a great supporting cast as well,but didn’t win as much with them. While Ben had some great playoff games,take a close look. He was also a huge disappointment in quite a few. Those teams left much on the table.

Ben and Terry were both huge talents,much maligned,and much missed by their fans. Both HOF. We were lucky.

Reactions: MTC
First. Grape Escape occasionally. And no I have not been all over. It's been one argument.
Ben could play in the 70s cause he was tough enough. All of the Steelers could play now including Terry if they were born into it. But no ****** way if you somehow transported.
As far as Gretzky his playmaking and vision were created by his ability to play on the edges of his blades which basically no one else could do and now everyone can do as well. He was neither strong nor fast. He skated around pylons. There are no pylons anymore.

Last I've got to say. Go back and watch it for yourself. Watch Steelers Cowboys. Watch Oilers Islanders or whatever. Tell me how it compares.

The Steelers also faced great teams that also kept their players like the Raiders, Dolphins, etc who were all time great teams . The Steelers dominated in the golden age of the NFL against teams with tons of Hall of Famers. Cuts both ways.
so do you have a response yet on which of Terry's TD passes in the SB were truly do or die? final minutes while behind in the game?

Last I've got to say. Go back and watch it for yourself. Watch Steelers Cowboys. Watch Oilers Islanders or whatever. Tell me how it compares.
JHC. That’s my whole point. You can’t compare. If Terry would have been born same year as Ben......went through minor,high school,university football,with the same training ,coaching , film studying, nutrition,competition,and everything else that goes with it, he would have been faster,stronger blah,blah ,blah. And maybe not. It’s a different era. You just don’t know.

To the person who alluded that Ben couldn't thrive in the 70s NFL, just watched a video recently called "Backyard Ben" where he was tossing DL and LBs off of him, scrambling around and basically making their lives miserable.

It's laughable to me, anybody who thinks Ben couldn't thrive then.

Even Roger Staubach was a 57% completion rate passer back then. Saying that, I can't put one ahead of the other. Terry won 4 and probably would have won 5 in 6 seasons if Franco and Rocky were not injured in '77. Ben won 2 SB's in his first 7 seasons and played in another. He also went 14-1 in his rookie year. If not for the cheating Pats, He might have won another SB or two. It's a push.

so do you have a response yet on which of Terry's TD passes in the SB were truly do or die? final minutes while behind in the game?
Losing to the Rams 19-17 before the beautiful TD Pass to Stallworth.

Again Ben had the advantage of throwing his TD pass while in chip shot FG range which minimizes the do or die aspect. Bradshaw was better than Ben and it's not close. Ben is mediocre in the playoffs and his playoff numbers are well below his regular season numbers. Bradshaw's playoff numbers dwarf his regular season records. Terry was the best big game QB of all time. Ben was not.

To the person who alluded that Ben couldn't thrive in the 70s NFL, just watched a video recently called "Backyard Ben" where he was tossing DL and LBs off of him, scrambling around and basically making their lives miserable.

It's laughable to me, anybody who thinks Ben couldn't thrive then.
Yep Ben would have thrives in that era just like Terry would have been incredible in this QB friendly era.

Again Ben had the advantage of throwing his TD pass while in chip shot FG range which minimizes the do or die aspect. Bradshaw was better than Ben and it's not close. Ben is mediocre in the playoffs and his playoff numbers are well below his regular season numbers. Bradshaw's playoff numbers dwarf his regular season records. Terry was the best big game QB of all time. Ben was not.
Ben was one of the greatest clutch QBs to ever play.

It’s not an accurate representation of his career the Super Bowl 45 performance and I think that game really changed what the perception of his career should have been.

Even the 2017 team that really should have been Super Bowl champs & he put up 42 points… is that on him? No, but perception is…

First. Grape Escape occasionally. And no I have not been all over. It's been one argument.
Ben could play in the 70s cause he was tough enough. All of the Steelers could play now including Terry if they were born into it. But no ****** way if you somehow transported.
As far as Gretzky his playmaking and vision were created by his ability to play on the edges of his blades which basically no one else could do and now everyone can do as well. He was neither strong nor fast. He skated around pylons. There are no pylons anymore.
Gretzky and Lemieux are not exactly poster children for strength and conditioning. High school football kids have better weight room stats than those two.

Hard to say with Bradshaw. Not much is really talked about the Steelers 1970’s strength and conditioning. Strength and conditioning in sports is still relatively new. As all the nutrition and stuff wasn’t really big until what the 80’s or 90’s?

On some level I always thought teams would lose to NE because they worried about scheme. If I can explain what I mean...take the Steelers, especially in Ben's younger years or the year with Kordell. Ok, you go in knowing that Belechick is gonna scheme you...so you let your athletes be athletes. With Kordell, if you get confused just run. Who gives a **** if they say you aren't a passer, just go. Just win the game. I don't think scheme can account for that. Same with Ben when younger.

I always thought with the Patriots in playoff games you had to be willing to lose big to win. I would have attacked on offense, no huddle, and blitzed Brady all day. Hit him, even a little late. I always thought the Steelers got a little caught up in scheme, playing not to lose.

Of course, I could be full of ****, but that's what it felt like to me when watching those games.

I guess what I am saying is scheme can beat you for sure, but you have to allow it as well. If you have clearly better athletes, which I still say the '01 and '04 Steelers had, let 'em go!
I felt that way with Baltimore too. Like the Steelers gave them too much respect at times. Just go in and whoop some ***

there were still something like 10 minutes to go in the 4th when he made that pass. Hardly a do or die situation.

Whatever dude. There were not 10 minutes left but keep on keeping on.

Whatever dude. There were not 10 minutes left but keep on keeping on.
there was a lot of time left. Terry hits Stallworth for the long TD on a 3rd down play

they trade punts and then the rams are driving when Ferragamo is picked off by Lambert with just over 5 minutes to go in the game. Steelers drive down aided by another long pass to Stallworth and a PI call sets them up at the one and Harris scores on third down to seal the game.

facts are facts

**** I was wrong

there were 12 minutes left

415:00110RAM 17Wendell Tyler for no gain (tackle by Robin Cole)1917-0.060-0.580
414:30210RAM 17Vince Ferragamo sacked by Steve Furness for -8 yards1917-0.580-2.360
414:00318RAM 9Cullen Bryant for 14 yards (tackle by Jack Lambert)1917-2.360-1.830
413:3044RAM 23Ken Clark punts 59 yards1917-1.830-0.610
412:59110PIT 25Franco Harris for 2 yards (tackle by Bob Brudzinski)19170.6100.330
412:3728PIT 27Terry Bradshaw pass incomplete intended for Sidney Thornton19170.330-0.360
412:1538PIT 27Terry Bradshaw pass complete to John Stallworth for 73 yards, touchdown1923-0.3607.000
4Matt Bahr kicks extra point good19240.0000.000

Gretzky and Lemieux are not exactly poster children for strength and conditioning. High school football kids have better weight room stats than those two.

Hard to say with Bradshaw. Not much is really talked about the Steelers 1970’s strength and conditioning. Strength and conditioning in sports is still relatively new. As all the nutrition and stuff wasn’t really big until what the 80’s or 90’s?
Buddy's kid is playing University in the fall. They started a month ago he is like 6"3 220. Size 15 shoes. They expect at least 15 good pounds by fall. And it will happen the way he is going.

Reactions: MTC
Ben was better. He just was. Disagree? Then f.u.c.k. you. Mothaf.u.c.ka!

For me it is comparing 1A to 1B. But saying that with Ben number 3 on all time 4th quarter comebacks he gets my nod. And I watched both QBs and loved both...