• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who……….Actually will run the “O”

I think one of the most tellings signs will be how much we use 3 WR sets vs 2. Smith likes to use 2 WR sets and the Steelers have typically run 3 recently

I think one of the most tellings signs will be how much we use 3 WR sets vs 2. Smith likes to use 2 WR sets and the Steelers have typically run 3 recently
I believe they will go with what Smith wants formation-wise, but will keep getting morphed into what Shades wants operation-wise, i.e. zero risk plays, nothing thrown to middle of field, etc.

So, run, run, pass, punt?
The Tomlin believes the path to victory is shorten the game, limit the number of possessions, keep timeouts in your pocket at the end of the first half, tell the the sideline reporter at halftime re: your offensive sleepwalking "it's not about anything the opponent is doing, it's about us," lean on your overpriced defense, and try to win the game in the 4th quarter in a glorious battle of attrition.

Those are the constraints Smith will be working under no doubt.

The Tomlin believes the path to victory is shorten the game, limit the number of possessions, keep timeouts in your pocket at the end of the first half, tell the the sideline reporter at halftime re: your offensive sleepwalking "it's not about anything the opponent is doing, it's about us," lean on your overpriced defense, and try to win the game in the 4th quarter in a glorious battle of attrition.

In the past I could agree with this, even now in the current time.................. a very possibility.

I'm hoping the Tomlin has been spoken to and very specifically led to believe things are changing, either you are with us or this could be your last year. You decide how you want to go out.

Salute the nation

Shades’ idea of a great game would be a 3-2 win with a FG as time expires.

But Tomlin is a glorious HC, he's the best there is, no one is better!

Let’s see here, it’s now year 18 and we haven’t been significant since the 2010 season. Pretty much a whole lot of mediocrity over the past 13 seasons. Lots of draft classes that have come and gone where shades has a lot of influence. Lots of coordinators have come and gone that shades was responsible for bringing in. Matt Canada who may be one of the worst OCs in modern NFL history was hired, promoted and retained by shades. He entrusted his prize number one pick QB to him. Both are gone now!
So I’m struggling here boys and need your help please. What is it again that makes Tomlin this great coach and we should feel fortunate to have him? I’m at a loss here!
He is suppose to be this great defensive genius but his defenses always rank in the 20’s despite being the highest paid.
He certainly is not an offensive wizard as his offenses generally rank near the bottom.
His teams are mired In mediocrity always finishing in the middle and drafting in the middle. When he is fortunate enough to get into the playoffs he gets mauled and out coached and outclassed.
So what the hell are we doing here?
No, if it’s another mediocre season in 24 which I highly expect it to be, I’d love to see him gone.
Bring in a young offensive minded head coach, Bobby Slowik the Texans OC and let him hire his own staff.
I’d like to see another championship in my lifetime and with shades it’s becoming more and more unrealistic.

Let’s see here, it’s now year 18 and we haven’t been significant since the 2010 season. Pretty much a whole lot of mediocrity over the past 13 seasons. Lots of draft classes that have come and gone where shades has a lot of influence. Lots of coordinators have come and gone that shades was responsible for bringing in. Matt Canada who may be one of the worst OCs in modern NFL history was hired, promoted and retained by shades. He entrusted his prize number one pick QB to him. Both are gone now!
So I’m struggling here boys and need your help please. What is it again that makes Tomlin this great coach and we should feel fortunate to have him? I’m at a loss here!
He is suppose to be this great defensive genius but his defenses always rank in the 20’s despite being the highest paid.
He certainly is not an offensive wizard as his offenses generally rank near the bottom.
His teams are mired In mediocrity always finishing in the middle and drafting in the middle. When he is fortunate enough to get into the playoffs he gets mauled and out coached and outclassed.
No, if it’s another mediocre season in 24 which I highly expect it to be, I’d love to see him gone.
Bring in a young offensive minded head coach, Bobby Slowik the Texans OC and let him hire his own staff.
I’d like to see another championship in my lifetime and with shades it’s becoming more and more unrealistic.
Thinking Shades will create different results is the definition of insanity.

You are preaching to the choir

The "choir" needs repetition of the message as we've seen in church.

Facts are a terrible thing to waste. Tomlin is #12 in average playoff wins per season with coaches who have been coaching 3 years or more. 12th.

McFarland is taking the UFL by storm, it figures he could do NOTHING in Pgh.

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...ony-mcfarland-scores-explosive-ufl-touchdown/

If this offense becomes anywhere near predictable, the Russ will not survive the year.

Salute the nation
ATL's O (who Smith was in charge of) scored exactly ONE more TD than our God awful offense last year. They had 30 yards more per game. How many weeks into the season, will we have to hear about the "players getting used to the new O?" I've never heard of players/coaches needing so gosh darn long to learn a system other than in Pgh.

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/nfl/2023-nfl-offense-rankings-team-pass-and-rush-stats

Shades is a bumbling, stumbling megalomaniac with little track of reality. The apologists are becoming fewer and fewer, thank God.

Last edited:
Shades is a bumbling, stumbling megalomaniac with little track of reality. The apologists are becoming fewer and fewer, than God.
You are one odd puppy.

ATL's O (who Smith was in charge of) scored exactly ONE more TD than our God awful offense last year. They had 30 yards more per game. How many weeks into the season, will we have to hear about the "players getting used to the new O?" I've never heard of players/coaches needing so gosh darn long to learn a system other than in Pgh.

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/nfl/2023-nfl-offense-rankings-team-pass-and-rush-stats
The Falcons were one of maybe a few teams with a worse starting QB than the Steelers last season.

The Falcons were one of maybe a few teams with a worse starting QB than the Steelers last season.
I'd have to agree, but have we really improved the position by so much?

Wilson 17-27 last 3 seasons.
Fields 10-28 last 3 seasons.

I'm hoping we dug up some gold but on the surface? It doesn't look like it. And let's not forget who the head coach is "leading" our QBs. He sure didn't do ANYTHING with our last QB. Kenny set a new record for lack of TD passes in NFL-QB history. That's where Tomlin got us.

I'm hoping we dug up some gold but on the surface? It doesn't look like it. And let's not forget who the head coach is "leading" our QBs. He sure didn't do ANYTHING with our last QB. Kenny set a new record for lack of TD passes in NFL-QB history. That's where Tomlin got us.
how could we forget? having a broken *** clock reminding us every 5 minutes

I am starting to really believe that you want to replace Coach shades. do not know what took you so long to catch up with the rest of us.

I am starting to really believe that you want to replace Coach shades. do not know what took you so long to catch up with the rest of us.
Do you mean with all of those who agreed with the Tomlin position that Kenny was coming on so strong to end 2022 that we should bring Canada back?

Last edited:
Do you mean with all of those who agreed with the Tomlin position that Kenny was coming on so strong to end 2022 that we should bring Canada back?
I have not been a Tomlin fan in a decade. but I do not obsess on it.