• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who Should Pay for the US Military Budget?

Right, they choose to work and are compensated.

Yeah, I'm kinda with you on the whole teacher thing. I actually went online last night to read our current teachers contract which runs out next August. There is already grumbling the teachers union wants another town tax override to source more pay raises. While reading this contract I discovered they already get a 3% pay raise each year in addition to a step increase they accrue every two years of service....inside those steps are other steps to increase their pay based on performance factors. That's at least 3 pay raises every two years not including performance steps! The lowest step teacher off the street starts at $49K and the highest teacher (not superintendent or principles...teacher only) at a step 15 with max performance gets $135K a year. Their contract states they only work 180 days per year with one "professional day" and within that work day they perform five 50 minutes classes and one supervisory hour per day. Oh, and 7 days a year they may be retained until 8PM for other required activities. Oh, and a nice other perk is working all the little extra curriculars like overseeing the yearbook club with pockets the teacher an extra $5K or being an assistant basketball coach which will net you another $3K.

Throw in a ridiculous pension plan and this is almost rape. I'm getting real tired of the teacher complaints too.

Yeah, I'm kinda with you on the whole teacher thing. I actually went online last night to read our current teachers contract which runs out next August. There is already grumbling the teachers union wants another town tax override to source more pay raises. While reading this contract I discovered they already get a 3% pay raise each year in addition to a step increase they accrue every two years of service....inside those steps are other steps to increase their pay based on performance factors. That's at least 3 pay raises every two years not including performance steps! The lowest step teacher off the street starts at $49K and the highest teacher (not superintendent or principles...teacher only) at a step 15 with max performance gets $135K a year. Their contract states they only work 180 days per year with one "professional day" and within that work day they perform five 50 minutes classes and one supervisory hour per day. Oh, and 7 days a year they may be retained until 8PM for other required activities. Oh, and a nice other perk is working all the little extra curriculars like overseeing the yearbook club with pockets the teacher an extra $5K or being an assistant basketball coach which will net you another $3K.

Throw in a ridiculous pension plan and this is almost rape. I'm getting real tired of the teacher complaints too.

I understand those complaints, and I agree. However, the teachers in my district were just told that in order to stay within the NCLB guidelines, they have to be working towards their Master's Degrees. Fine. They pay for that out of pocket. This year's contract is NOT compensating those teachers who finished their Master's degrees within the past year, and will no longer compensate teachers for furthering their education. By compensate, I mean get a raise. So why bother?

I worked in AK for 4 years, and some of the teacher's demands were RIDICULOUS. They wanted to strike because acupuncture was not covered anymore. It was crazy.

I understand those complaints, and I agree. However, the teachers in my district were just told that in order to stay within the NCLB guidelines, they have to be working towards their Master's Degrees. Fine. They pay for that out of pocket. This year's contract is NOT compensating those teachers who finished their Master's degrees within the past year, and will no longer compensate teachers for furthering their education. By compensate, I mean get a raise. So why bother?

I worked in AK for 4 years, and some of the teacher's demands were RIDICULOUS. They wanted to strike because acupuncture was not covered anymore. It was crazy.

3 performance perks within each step from the contract I read give a pay raise for a Masters Degree so yeah, they are not paying for it out of pocket...they get compensated. I don't buy anything these unions say anymore. When do I get a raise for an advanced degree?

Right, they choose to work and are compensated.

I can only say that you are absolutely lost and dead wrong on this one. Take a visit to a High School during the summer, take a walk around. I've been in and out of ours now a half dozen times this summer. We've met with teachers and guidance counselors. I personally know a teacher who is overseas taking classes at Oxford. Others are taking other required education. Coaches and ADs are there, running 3 and 4 and 5 camps to raise money for the school. They are paying not only the student camp counselors ($300/week) but they are paying the coaches (who are teachers).

As Steelerlyn said, you may have the summer free from students, but there are no "summers off."

3 performance perks within each step from the contract I read give a pay raise for a Masters Degree so yeah, they are not paying for it out of pocket...they get compensated. I don't buy anything these unions say anymore. When do I get a raise for an advanced degree?

Our teachers aren't unionized.

Are you saying the majority of teachers work during the summer for their school?

You're the one saying all teachers get 2.5 months off every summer. We're simply proving that statement to be baseless.

Dude, WTF? It was a philosophical question that referenced one of Bush's proposals that YOU posted!

And then you proceed to post a ******* dissertation, after accusing me of hijacking a discussion.

Nice!

You're welcome.

You're the one saying all teachers get 2.5 months off every summer. We're simply proving that statement to be baseless.

I never said all. Generally, they get 2.5 months off during the summer. I'm aware SOME choose to work either in or outside the school and earn extra compensation.

I often use a vacation day to do yard work or something around the house. I don't consider that as not having had the day off.

I never said all. Generally, they get 2.5 months off during the summer. I'm aware SOME choose to work either in or outside the school and earn extra compensation.

I often use a vacation day to do yard work or something around the house. I don't consider that as not having had the day off.

I never had any desire to be a school teacher, if I had to do it all over again, I'd be a school teacher.

Every imaginable holiday off. Weekends off. A week off for Christmas, 2 1/2 months off in the summer, unreal pensions, possible early retirement

This is a direct quote from you earlier in the thread. If the "all" wasn't implied in this quote, then I guess both TimSteelersFan and I need reading comprehension lessons.

This is a direct quote from you earlier in the thread. If the "all" wasn't implied in this quote, then I guess both TimSteelersFan and I need reading comprehension lessons.

You guys sure you don't want to point out teachers don't get Flag Day off?

Heck, I WANTED to be a school teacher when I went to college mostly because I thought summers off was great but at the time schools here were laying off teachers and my dad, who is a classic Type A workaholic, couldn't stand the idea of his son not working three months a year.

I was too naive to realize benefits matter and vary widely from private to public employers. I also thought teachers didn't make anywhere near what they do, especially Pennsylvania.

You guys sure you don't want to point out teachers don't get Flag Day off?

You sure you don't want to retract your statements that teachers don't work during the summers?

You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher in today's society.