• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who the Steelers are showing interest in and my thoughts

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Don’t have the time to scout 300+ prospects anymore so here’s the beginning of a list of prospects at each position that the Steelers have shown interest in. I will keep updating this as visits and pro days continue. I probably sprinkle in some of the prospects I personally like as well.

QB-

Mason Rudolph Oklahoma St.

My opinion- Rudolph has above average strength and athleticism, enough arm, great deep ball accuracy, and above average football IQ. He lacks elite arm strength, and holds the ball too long sometimes. Ceiling= Phillip Rivers. Floor= Landry Jones

Lamar Jackson Louisville

My opinion- Jackson is a college highlight reel. He made amazing plays with his feet, extended plays allowing receivers to get open, was a dynamic college football player. Unfortunately, he has very limited arm strength, completely unable to read a defense or run an offense, and has almost 0 NFL ability. He is Michael Vick but slower and no arm. Mike did show a little ability to run a one read offense with Philadelphia later in his career but I am not sure Jackson lasts in the NFL long enough to get that opportunity and again is not the athlete Vick was. He’d need to go to a team with an offensive guru for OC and he’d have to put in more work than he’s ever had to do to his athleticism. Ceiling- Robert Griffin III. Floor- DJ Shockley

Riley Ferguson Memphis

My opinion- Ferguson has a quick release, enough arm, stands tall in the pocket, some mobility, has NFL IQ, and is accurate. My questions are his love for the game and he could use another 20lbs of functional weight. Of all the QB’s the Steelers have shown interest in his projected round and upside are more intriguing to me than the ones mentioned above as Ferguson is rated 5th or later on the draft boards I have seen.. Ceiling- Nick Foles. Floor- John Beck

RB-

Derrius Guice LSU

My opinion- Guice ran behind a typical dominant LSU line and crushed it vs inferior opponents. VS SEC competition he didn’t do much of anything having Alabama, Auburn and Florida keeping him in check the last two years. VS AP he was 77 290 yards 3.8 ave 0 TD’s. To compare Barkley whom had to face 3 defenders spying him was 68 352 yards 5.2 ave with 5 TD’s. Guice is big, fast, decent balance but at this point he’s all potential in my opinion. I have a late 3rd round grade on him. Ceiling- Ronnie Brown. Floor- Trent Richardson

Kerryon Johnson Auburn

My opinion- I feel Guice and Johnson are very similar backs but I give Johnson a little nod over Guice. I think Johnson rated as a 3rd-4th round pick also interests me much more than Guice at #28 overall. I could get behind going S, ILB, and then luxury and security with Bells future not clear. Johnson is a patient runner, glides past the LOS, follows blocks, nice balance. Not much of a homerun threat (like Bell) but does seem to always get positive yards. Ceiling- Le’Veon Bell. Floor- Charles Sims

Kalen Ballage Arizona St.

My opinion- Ballage has a lot of upside as he split carries with another capable RB in college in Demario Richard. Ballage is a late round prospect which for me makes him appealing as we already spent a 3rd on Connor last year. Ballage is big, fast, can’t arm tackle, falls forward and has a nose for the end zone. He also has very good hands for a RB but didn’t run much in the way of routes. Runs a little too upright for my liking and he played a lot of wild cat. Ceiling- Le’Veon Bell. Floor- Tony Hunt

WR-

James Washington Oklahoma St.

My opinion- Washington took advantage of having a QB who accurately throws the deep ball but that said Washington does a nice job with his footwork and acceleration out of breaks to gain separation from his man. He isn’t an elite athlete but I feel his athleticism translates on the football field where some just show it in shorts. The bad is he’s not very tall, with average sized hands, but is thickly built and should hold up well in the NFL. Ceiling- Hines Ward. Floor Peter Warrick.

Dante Pettis Washington

My opinion- Pettis is a big play and big time return man. I am very curious to see his workout numbers but as the draft approaches I am starting to doubt he runs before the April event. On tape in his returns or route running he uses his elite feet and shoulder movement to set up his route. He catches the ball very well but not elite, he tracks the ball well in the air, and isn’t afraid of the middle of the field. When returning he quickly sets up his return with very little wasted movement always looking to go north/south. Frame looks small and considering he is still recovering from an ankle injury I would be very concerned about his medical (will he need surgery this year and IR’d) and his long term durability. Can he expand his route tree? I think because of medical and not working out the Steelers could snag him later than he is projecting to go. I just don’t see teams not red flagging his ankle and inability to workout prior to the draft. Ceiling- Poor man’s AB. Floor- Antwan Randle El. Best NFL comparison would be Ted Ginn Jr.

J’Mon Moore Missouri

My opinion- Moore is a tall, big play, jump ball kind of WR. He has elite ball tracking ability and even though 40 was slow he’s a long strider and once he hits hi gear he will blast past you. Not great hands, and definitely needs to learn to run a full route tree. Ceiling- Allen Robinson. Floor- Rueben Randle

TE-

Mike Gesicki Penn St.

My opinion- Gesicki is an elite height, weight, speed prospect. He has great size at 6-5, arms at 34”, and over 10” hands. Crazy fast running 4.54 40 and then you combine all that with a 41 ½” vertical and you have a freak athlete. He also has great hands and a humungous catch radius. This year he worked on his route running and is able to set up his guy to create space via feet and shoulder movement. Why isn’t he a sure fire top 10 pick? He couldn’t block his own grandma. I don’t know if he can’t or just doesn’t give a crap but for the love of god Barkley was constantly avoiding Gesicki’s man in the backfield. Ceiling- Jimmy Graham. Floor- Jesse James.

Mark Andrews Oklahoma

My opinion- Andrews checks the boxes when it comes to production, size, and speed. He didn’t play as fast as he timed but he did a nice job of getting open. Will need to use his athleticism in the NFL to get open and play like his timed speed. He needs to work on his blocking as well. Would be nice to see him finish his guy instead of just be in his way. Ceiling- Jason Witten (if he learns to block). Floor- Coby Fleener.

Ian Thomas Indiana

My opinion- Thomas might have the most upside to any TE in this draft next to Gesicki. Thomas has HUGE banana hands at 11 ½” long, crazy arm length (like Gesicki) at 34 1/8” long, and still at 6-4 260lb frame. Despite “inconsistent” QB play Thomas put up good numbers and made some crazy highlight catches. Problems are he definitely does not run a full route tree as he seemed to be a seam guy using his body and speed to get past LB’s or oversize CB/S. Needs to be more aggressive in blocking but compared to the Gesicki and Andrews he is actually better in this department. Ceiling- Greg Olsen. Floor- Ladarius Green.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Don’t have the time to scout 300+ prospects anymore so here’s the beginning of a list of prospects at each position that the Steelers have shown interest in. I will keep updating this as visits and pro days continue. I probably sprinkle in some of the prospects I personally like as well.

QB-

My opinion- Rudolph has above average strength and athleticism, enough arm, great deep ball accuracy, and above average football IQ. He lacks elite arm strength, and holds the ball too long sometimes. Ceiling= Phillip Rivers. Floor= Landry Jones

Lamar Jackson Louisville

My opinion- Jackson is a college highlight reel. He made amazing plays with his feet, extended plays allowing receivers to get open, was a dynamic college football player. Unfortunately, he has very limited arm strength, completely unable to read a defense or run an offense, and has almost 0 NFL ability. He is Michael Vick but slower and no arm. Mike did show a little ability to run a one read offense with Philadelphia later in his career but I am not sure Jackson lasts in the NFL long enough to get that opportunity and again is not the athlete Vick was. He’d need to go to a team with an offensive guru for OC and he’d have to put in more work than he’s ever had to do to his athleticism. Ceiling- Robert Griffin III. Floor- DJ Shockley

Riley Ferguson Memphis

My opinion- Ferguson has a quick release, enough arm, stands tall in the pocket, some mobility, has NFL IQ, and is accurate. My questions are his love for the game and he could use another 20lbs of functional weight. Of all the QB’s the Steelers have shown interest in his projected round and upside are more intriguing to me than the ones mentioned above as Ferguson is rated 5th or later on the draft boards I have seen.. Ceiling- Nick Foles. Floor- John Beck

RB-

Derrius Guice LSU

My opinion- Guice ran behind a typical dominant LSU line and crushed it vs inferior opponents. VS SEC competition he didn’t do much of anything having Alabama, Auburn and Florida keeping him in check the last two years. VS AP he was 77 290 yards 3.8 ave 0 TD’s. To compare Barkley whom had to face 3 defenders spying him was 68 352 yards 5.2 ave with 5 TD’s. Guice is big, fast, decent balance but at this point he’s all potential in my opinion. I have a late 3rd round grade on him. Ceiling- Ronnie Brown. Floor- Trent Richardson

Kerryon Johnson Auburn

My opinion- I feel Guice and Johnson are very similar backs but I give Johnson a little nod over Guice. I think Johnson rated as a 3rd-4th round pick also interests me much more than Guice at #28 overall. I could get behind going S, ILB, and then luxury and security with Bells future not clear. Johnson is a patient runner, glides past the LOS, follows blocks, nice balance. Not much of a homerun threat (like Bell) but does seem to always get positive yards. Ceiling- Le’Veon Bell. Floor- Charles Sims

My opinion- Ballage has a lot of upside as he split carries with another capable RB in college in Demario Richard. Ballage is a late round prospect which for me makes him appealing as we already spent a 3rd on Connor last year. Ballage is big, fast, can’t arm tackle, falls forward and has a nose for the end zone. He also has very good hands for a RB but didn’t run much in the way of routes. Runs a little too upright for my liking and he played a lot of wild cat. Ceiling- Le’Veon Bell. Floor- Tony Hunt

WR-

My opinion- Washington took advantage of having a QB who accurately throws the deep ball but that said Washington does a nice job with his footwork and acceleration out of breaks to gain separation from his man. He isn’t an elite athlete but I feel his athleticism translates on the football field where some just show it in shorts. The bad is he’s not very tall, with average sized hands, but is thickly built and should hold up well in the NFL. Ceiling- Hines Ward. Floor Peter Warrick.

Dante Pettis Washington

My opinion- Pettis is a big play and big time return man. I am very curious to see his workout numbers but as the draft approaches I am starting to doubt he runs before the April event. On tape in his returns or route running he uses his elite feet and shoulder movement to set up his route. He catches the ball very well but not elite, he tracks the ball well in the air, and isn’t afraid of the middle of the field. When returning he quickly sets up his return with very little wasted movement always looking to go north/south. Frame looks small and considering he is still recovering from an ankle injury I would be very concerned about his medical (will he need surgery this year and IR’d) and his long term durability. Can he expand his route tree? I think because of medical and not working out the Steelers could snag him later than he is projecting to go. I just don’t see teams not red flagging his ankle and inability to workout prior to the draft. Ceiling- Poor man’s AB. Floor- Antwan Randle El. Best NFL comparison would be Ted Ginn Jr.

J’Mon Moore Missouri

My opinion- Moore is a tall, big play, jump ball kind of WR. He has elite ball tracking ability and even though 40 was slow he’s a long strider and once he hits hi gear he will blast past you. Not great hands, and definitely needs to learn to run a full route tree. Ceiling- Allen Robinson. Floor- Rueben Randle

TE-

Mike Gesicki Penn St.

My opinion- Gesicki is an elite height, weight, speed prospect. He has great size at 6-5, arms at 34”, and over 10” hands. Crazy fast running 4.54 40 and then you combine all that with a 41 ½” vertical and you have a freak athlete. He also has great hands and a humungous catch radius. This year he worked on his route running and is able to set up his guy to create space via feet and shoulder movement. Why isn’t he a sure fire top 10 pick? He couldn’t block his own grandma. I don’t know if he can’t or just doesn’t give a crap but for the love of god Barkley was constantly avoiding Gesicki’s man in the backfield. Ceiling- Jimmy Graham. Floor- Jesse James.

Mark Andrews Oklahoma

My opinion- Andrews checks the boxes when it comes to production, size, and speed. He didn’t play as fast as he timed but he did a nice job of getting open. Will need to use his athleticism in the NFL to get open and play like his timed speed. He needs to work on his blocking as well. Would be nice to see him finish his guy instead of just be in his way. Ceiling- Jason Witten (if he learns to block). Floor- Coby Fleener.

Ian Thomas Indiana

My opinion- Thomas might have the most upside to any TE in this draft next to Gesicki. Thomas has HUGE banana hands at 11 ½” long, crazy arm length (like Gesicki) at 34 1/8” long, and still at 6-4 260lb frame. Despite “inconsistent” QB play Thomas put up good numbers and made some crazy highlight catches. Problems are he definitely does not run a full route tree as he seemed to be a seam guy using his body and speed to get past LB’s or oversize CB/S. Needs to be more aggressive in blocking but compared to the Gesicki and Andrews he is actually better in this department. Ceiling- Greg Olsen. Floor- Ladarius Green.

So interested as to how you came to these conclusions on Jackson. Here is NFL.com scouting take. How can things be so opposite

Strengths
Elite playmaker with rare ability to hit home runs with his arm or legs. Has experience under center. Arm is lively and can spin it. Delivery devoid of wasted motion. Ball comes out with flick of the wrist reminiscent of Michael Vick. Can drive it with velocity. Pocket poise and pre-snap plan has improved each year. Has improved ability to hold safeties and linebackers with his eyes. Feathery deep ball touch off play fakes. Requirement of full-time spy lightens coverage numbers. Willing to take sack over making haphazard throw. Maestro of improv who is Second City worthy. Scrambling forces cornerbacks to choose between receiver and potential run support. Destroys pursuit angles when he runs. Has open field instincts and elusiveness of elite running back. Understands when his speed can eliminate a tackler and moves attention to the next level of danger. Red-zone juggernaut. Tallied 10 rushing touchdowns of over 40 yards in three seasons.

Weaknesses
Carries spindly legs and a thin base. Slightly built for punishing hits he takes from pocket and as a runner. Must learn to slide. Lackadaisical in setup. Throws with excessively narrow base and stiff front side. Flips it rather than throws it. Makes targets work too hard. Sails throws that can end up in hands of a safety. At times, hesitates to challenge safeties in the seam. Low release point leads to tipped passes. Typically gets through reads 1 and 2 before halting progressions. Pocket awareness has room for improvement. Move accuracy on rollouts and scrambles is poor. Highly inaccurate with throws on the move throughout the 2017 season. Underthrown deep balls allow cornerbacks to play the ball. Lacks touch over the heads of middle linebackers into intermediate pockets. Turnover total still too high.

Lamar Jackson Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
Rare arm talent
Powerful arm
Instincts
Throws with good timing
Stands tall in the pocket
Throws knowing he is going get hit
Has field vision
Works through progressions
Can beat good coverage with his arm and placement
Excellent arm strength to go vertical
Able to make good off-platform throws
Pocket presence
Good ball placement and timing to lead receivers for yards after the catch
Amazing athlete
Rare running ability
Very fast
Threat to rip off long runs on any carry
Elusive in the open field; consistently jukes tacklers
Mobility to extend plays
Slippery runner and in the pocket; hard for defenders to square up
Difficult to sack
Very fast
Mastered his offense; had full command of a more complex college system
Resilient
Confident
Developed field vision
Durable
Upside

Weaknesses:
Inaccurate
Thin frame
Needs to get stronger for the NFL
Poor footwork, which leads to inaccuracy
Too much of one of the guys; could stand to be more of a leader

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018ljackson.php#ixzz5Ascf906t

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018ljackson.php#ixzz5AscUOPXw

NFL Draft analyst Tom Downey breaks down Lamar Jackson in this scouting report and player profile. The details of Jackson's scouting report, featuring strengths, weaknesses, player comparison and projections are detailed below.

Strengths:
- Dynamic runner
- Deadly with ball in hands
- Improved each year
- Strong arm
- Just flicks his wrist
- Carried his team
- Has shown nice touch
- Wasn't in a simple offense
- Keeps eyes downfield

Weaknesses:
- Accuracy isn't great (never hit 60%)
- Will miss open WRs
- His base is too narrow
- Fumbling issue in past
- Slight frame for mobile QB
- Deep ball isn't great

I didn’t see it. Sorry but his arm to me is below average. He’s more Josh Dobbs than Michael Vick the only difference is Dobbs is a rare intellectual and has above the shoulders ability. Jackson couldn’t spell cat if you spotted him the C & T.

I didn’t see it. Sorry but his arm to me is below average. He’s more Josh Dobbs than Michael Vick the only difference is Dobbs is a rare intellectual and has above the shoulders ability. Jackson couldn’t spell cat if you spotted him the C & T.

But somehow mastered one of the most complex offense in college football. More complex then the other QBs in the draft..

Yeah, he has an amazing arm.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

FYI Dobbs was at 51/50.

And he mastered the Louisville offense? He ran around until someone was open or just took off to gain yards. He mastered nothing.

Here are the odds of him having the highest wonderlic score. He’s the longest odds out there. How about you bet me a $1,000 and I’ll bet you a $1 he’s not...

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/article/bet-qb-wonderlic-scores

Yeah, he has an amazing arm.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

FYI Dobbs was at 51/50.

And he mastered the Louisville offense? He ran around until someone was open or just took off to gain yards. He mastered nothing.

Here are the odds of him having the highest wonderlic score. He’s the longest odds out there. How about you bet me a $1,000 and I’ll bet you a $1 he’s not...

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/article/bet-qb-wonderlic-scores

I got your opinion. Was just wondered how it can differ so opposite from what i saw and and been reading. Honestly i dont think you ever watched the man play a game but thats neither here or there.

Jackson has issues probably but his arm isn't one of them.

Yea... Lamar Jackson has a cannon, so that analysis is flawed off the bat. Honestly I think the dude is legit star. I think he has the opportunity to be a bigger surprise than Deshaun Watson (in the right system of course)

However- durability is definitely a concern.

Yea... Lamar Jackson has a cannon, so that analysis is flawed off the bat. Honestly I think the dude is legit star. I think he has the opportunity to be a bigger surprise than Deshaun Watson (in the right system of course)

However- durability is definitely a concern.

His issues are base related he doesnt always set his feet wide enough. Im not advocating taking a QB at 28 but i wouldnt be mad either. If they have a higher grade on him or Rudolph then someone else take him. Sit and let him learn. No pressure no rush.

IMO the only “cannon” in this draft is Josh Allen. But his arm, like Jackson, is erratic. High, low, short, too far just never know. But Allen having an elite arm strength pushes him up boards.

And the velocity test is not analysis. It’s science. That’s like saying you can’t tell how fast a pitcher throws from the radar gun.

QB-

I like Rudolph. Big, accurate, very durable, very smart, throws a nice deep ball. Plus a running threat near the goal line. I wish he played in the senior bowl practices. Good enough for round two, and a steal in round three.

Jackson has a good arm, but I think he's a first round disappointment.

RB-

Derrius Guice LSU

You have a late 3rd round grade on Guice?. Guice proved it in the SEC. He's a late first to early 2nd. Slim chance for round three. If Bell is moved, I like Guice in round one, depending on who is on the board.

Kerryon Johnson Auburn

WOW. You are under rating these backs, Johnson is a 2nd round type of talent. Maybe early round three. Slim chance he goes in round four. I do like Penny in round three.

TE-

Mike Gesicki Penn St.

I think Gescki is a round two guy, perhaps a late round one guy for a passing team. His blocking is not that bad. Okay its bad, but he can work on it. I like him if he falls to round three, but he won't

Mark Andrews Oklahoma

I think his college QB made him look better than he is. If the Steelers keep McDonald, we are not drafting a TE high

I like Rudolph. Big, accurate, very durable, very smart, throws a nice deep ball. Plus a running threat near the goal line. I wish he played in the senior bowl practices. Good enough for round two, and a steal in round three.

Perhaps. His draft stock is hard to gauge but the Steelers definitely like him.

Jackson has a good arm, but I think he's a first round disappointment.

His arm is below average though. It’s enough but he’d need great accuracy and timing. Rudolph’s arm is about the same as Jackson but Rudolph anticipates and throws with accuracy.

You have a late 3rd round grade on Guice?. Guice proved it in the SEC. He's a late first to early 2nd. Slim chance for round three. If Bell is moved, I like Guice in round one, depending on who is on the board.

Guice was ate alive by the SEC. Florida, Auburn, and Alabama stole his lunch money year in and year out. Oh, but he crushed Ole Miss the 124th ranked rush D.

WOW. You are under rating these backs, Johnson is a 2nd round type of talent. Maybe early round three. Slim chance he goes in round four. I do like Penny in round three.
Besides Barkley I don’t see a first round pick. Just my opinion but it seems if you aren’t elite at the RB position your value drops significantly. I think 3rd is a more than fair value. I’d feel much better in the 4th but the Steelers don’t have a 4th.

I think Gescki is a round two guy, perhaps a late round one guy for a passing team. His blocking is not that bad. Okay its bad, but he can work on it. I like him if he falls to round three, but he won't

Try to find another TE that has the measurables of Gesicki. You literally can’t. I’d take him #28 all day long over Guice.

I think his college QB made him look better than he is. If the Steelers keep McDonald, we are not drafting a TE high

I think Andrews is a pretty safe pick. Might not be a stud but should be a long term serviceable tight end.

Last edited:
I think Kerryon Johnson.
Not too far off from Bell in running style.

Won't change much for the Steelers running game

QB-

My opinion- Rudolph has above average strength and athleticism, enough arm, great deep ball accuracy, and above average football IQ. He lacks elite arm strength, and holds the ball too long sometimes. Ceiling= Phillip Rivers. Floor= Landry Jones (estimated drafted round 2nd)

Lamar Jackson Louisville

My opinion- Jackson is a college highlight reel. He made amazing plays with his feet, extended plays allowing receivers to get open, was a dynamic college football player. Unfortunately, he has very limited arm strength, completely unable to read a defense or run an offense, and has almost 0 NFL ability. He is Michael Vick but slower and no arm. Mike did show a little ability to run a one read offense with Philadelphia later in his career but I am not sure Jackson lasts in the NFL long enough to get that opportunity and again is not the athlete Vick was. He’d need to go to a team with an offensive guru for OC and he’d have to put in more work than he’s ever had to do to his athleticism. Ceiling- Robert Griffin III. Floor- DJ Shockley (estimated drafted round 3rd)

Riley Ferguson Memphis

My opinion- Ferguson has a quick release, enough arm, stands tall in the pocket, some mobility, has NFL IQ, and is accurate. My questions are his love for the game and he could use another 20lbs of functional weight. Of all the QB’s the Steelers have shown interest in his projected round and upside are more intriguing to me than the ones mentioned above as Ferguson is rated 5th or later on the draft boards I have seen.. Ceiling- Nick Foles. Floor- John Beck (estimated drafted round 5th)

RB-

Derrius Guice LSU

My opinion- Guice ran behind a typical dominant LSU line and crushed it vs inferior opponents. VS SEC competition he didn’t do much of anything having Alabama, Auburn and Florida keeping him in check the last two years. VS AP he was 77 290 yards 3.8 ave 0 TD’s. To compare Barkley whom had to face 3 defenders spying him was 68 352 yards 5.2 ave with 5 TD’s. Guice is big, fast, decent balance but at this point he’s all potential in my opinion. I have a late 3rd round grade on him. Ceiling- Ronnie Brown. Floor- Trent Richardson (estimated drafted round 3rd)

Kerryon Johnson Auburn

My opinion- I feel Guice and Johnson are very similar backs but I give Johnson a little nod over Guice. I think Johnson rated as a 3rd-4th round pick also interests me much more than Guice at #28 overall. I could get behind going S, ILB, and then luxury and security with Bells future not clear. Johnson is a patient runner, glides past the LOS, follows blocks, nice balance. Not much of a homerun threat (like Bell) but does seem to always get positive yards. Ceiling- Le’Veon Bell. Floor- Charles Sims (estimated drafted round 4th)

My opinion- Ballage has a lot of upside as he split carries with another capable RB in college in Demario Richard. Ballage is a late round prospect which for me makes him appealing as we already spent a 3rd on Connor last year. Ballage is big, fast, can’t arm tackle, falls forward and has a noze for the endzone. He also has very good hands for a RB but didn’t run much in the way of routes. Runs a little too upright for my liking and he played a lot of wild cat. Ceiling- Le’Veon Bell. Floor- Tony Hunt (estimated drafted round 5th)

WR-

My opinion- Washington took advantage of having a QB who accurately throws the deep ball but that said Washington does a nice job with his footwork and acceleration out of breaks to gain separation from his man. He isn’t an elite athlete but I feel his athleticism translates on the football field where some just show it in shorts. The bad is he’s not very tall, with average sized hands, but is thickly built and should hold up well in the NFL. Ceiling- Hines Ward. Floor Peter Warrick. (estimated drafted round 2nd)

Dante Pettis Washington

My opinion- Pettis is a big play and big time return man. I am very curious to see his workout numbers but as the draft approaches I am starting to doubt he runs before the April event. On tape in his returns or route running he uses his elite feet and shoulder movement to set up his route. He catches the ball very well but not elite, he tracks the ball well in the air, and isn’t afraid of the middle of the field. When returning he quickly sets up his return with very little wasted movement always looking to go north/south. Frame looks small and considering he is still recovering from an ankle injury I would be very concerned about his medical (will he need surgery this year and IR’d) and his long term durability. Can he expand his route tree? I think because of medical and not working out the Steelers could snag him later than he is projecting to go. I just don’t see teams not red flagging his ankle and inability to workout prior to the draft. Ceiling- Poor man’s AB. Floor- Antwan Randle El. Best NFL comparison would be Ted Ginn Jr. (estimated drafted round 5th)

J’Mon Moore Missouri

My opinion- Moore is a tall, big play, jump ball kind of WR. He has elite ball tracking ability and even though 40 was slow he’s a long strider and once he hits hi gear he will blast past you. Not great hands, and definitely needs to learn to run a full route tree. Ceiling- Allen Robinson. Floor- Rueben Randle (estimated drafted round 6th)

Quadree Henderson Pitt

My opinion- Henderson is a human joystick and elite return specialist. That being said he doesn’t show much when it comes to measurables. He isn’t tall, has good speed but not great, doesn’t test explosive, does he have a position? What he does do well is uses his shoulders to set up angles, has a low center of gravity allowing him to break arm tackles, and willingness to run in traffic. If the Steelers filled needs early I would be fine with throwing one of our 7th round picks at him just to get him into camp and see if we can find a way to get him a hat on Sunday and alleviate AB from return duty. Ceiling- Devin Hester. Floor- Dri Archer (estimated round drafted 7th)

Devin Gray Cincinnati

My opinion- Gray seems to have decent speed but I really didn’t see much more than that. To be honest I liked #8 Moore the QB whom seemed impressively accurate with his passes. Ceiling- Eli Rogers. Floor- DeMarcus Ayers (estimated round drafted UDFA)

Justin Watson Penn

My opinion- Trying to find tape on this kid is freaking HARD. But considering he’s 6-3 215lbs and runs a sub 4.4 forty with a 40” vert and a 120” broad jump boasts well on his athleticism. From the tape I personally saw he tracks the ball exceptionally well, he can make over the shoulder catches with ease, in the senior bowl and East West Shrine came vs. Division I and potential NFL talent he blew past the CB with relative ease, hand catcher whom looks like he has trained himself to get both hands on the ball, NFL size and athleticism, smart going to an Ivy league school and from what I have read he’s a hard worker with the first in and last out mentality. My concerns is he does not run a full route tree, never really had to work off pressure coverage or a jam at the LOS, and it’s a HUGE jump from Penn to the NFL. Ceiling- Ed McCaffrey. Floor- Moritz Boehringer (estimated drafted round 5th)

TE-

Mike Gesicki Penn St.

My opinion- Gesicki is an elite height, weight, speed prospect. He has great size at 6-5, arms at 34”, and over 10” hands. Crazy fast running 4.54 40 and then you combine all that with a 41 ½” vertical and you have a freak athlete. He also has great hands and a humungous catch radius. This year he worked on his route running and is able to set up his guy to create space via feet and shoulder movement. Why isn’t he a sure fire top 10 pick? He couldn’t block his own grandma. I don’t know if he can’t or just doesn’t give a crap but for the love of god Barkley was constantly avoiding Gesicki’s man in the backfield. Ceiling- Jimmy Graham. Floor- Jesse James. (estimated drafted round 1st)

Mark Andrews Oklahoma

My opinion- Andrews checks the boxes when it comes to production, size, and speed. He didn’t play as fast as he timed but he did a nice job of getting open. Will need to use his athleticism in the NFL to get open and play like his timed speed. He needs to work on his blocking as well. Would be nice to see him finish his guy instead of just be in his way. Ceiling- Jason Witten (if he learns to block). Floor- Coby Fleener. (estimated drafted round 3rd)

Ian Thomas Indiana

My opinion- Thomas might have the most upside to any TE in this draft next to Gesicki. Thomas has HUGE banana hands at 11 ½” long, crazy arm length (like Gesicki) at 34 1/8” long, and still at 6-4 260lb frame. Despite “inconsistent” QB play Thomas put up good numbers and made some crazy highlight catches. Problems are he definitely does not run a full route tree as he seemed to be a seam guy using his body and speed to get past LB’s or oversize CB/S. Needs to be more aggressive in blocking but compared to the Gesicki and Andrews he is actually better in this department. Ceiling- Greg Olsen. Floor- Ladarius Green. (estimated drafted round 3rd)

OL-

Tony Adams NC State

My opinion- Adams is a stout and well balanced interior lineman. He has good balance, hand placement, and enough feet speed to pull. He seems to have trouble with long armed defensive linemen which usually means he’s a short armed offensive lineman. He’s not a superior athlete when it comes past strength. Ceiling- Larry Warford. Floor- BJ Finney. (estimated drafted round 6th)

R.J. Prince North Carolina

My opinion- Again not the easiest to get film on but did find a few games. He’s naturally a big, strong, man. Seems to have long arms and big hands and once he gets them on you it’s hard to break free. Better run blocker than pass blocker as his feet are not very quick and he’s more of a waist bender. He has some natural ability and I am assuming Munch liked enough of what he saw to believe he can coach him up as a late round pick. Ceiling- Max Starks. Floor- Mike Adams (estimated drafted round UDFA)

Dallas Goedert South Dakota State

My opinion- The most complete TE in this draft. He’s a good athlete, hand catcher, good size, nice route runner, and can block. The only question is level of competition he played against. But he can work short, intermediate, and deep routes. He can be spread out wide or work the middle. I really just did not see a hole in his game. Ceiling- Rob Gronkowski. Floor- Vance McDonald. (Estimated draft round 1-2)

OLB-

Lorenzo Carter Georgia

My opinion- Freak athlete with size, speed, and strength. He looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. He has length and natural ability just never has lived up to it on the football field. Ceiling- Danielle Hunter. Floor- Bud Dupree (estimated drafted round 2-3)

Jeff Holland Auburn

My opinion- Holland plays with a non-stop motor. He uses every ounce of energy and leaves it on the field. Hits like a truck, can set the edge, uses his hands very well, has a few pass rush moves. Not a gifted athlete, seems tight hipped and not much bend, probably nothing more than zone in coverage. Ceiling- Clark Haggans. Floor- Lorenzo Mauldin
(Estimated drafted round 5)

ILB-

Rashaan Evans Alabama

My opinion- Classic buck downhill thumper. Very good filling gaps and making tackles. Can run through the trash well and can get off blocks. Not an elite athlete and doesn’t offer much more than zone coverage and nothing much in the way of pass rush. Ceiling- Vince Williams. Floor- Sylvester Stevenson (Estimated drafted round 4)

Anderson sounds like if the oc creates some trick plays we could perhaps use him like Randle el.

You really killed Evans there FFL, floor sylvester stevenson? his ceiling could be timmons

Sent from my [device_name] using Steeler Nation mobile app

I got your opinion. Was just wondered how it can differ so opposite from what i saw and and been reading. Honestly i dont think you ever watched the man play a game but thats neither here or there.

we're not taking jackson, get over it.

we're not taking jackson, get over it.

I agreed it my opinion and he was pointing out others opinions. The thing is Jackson had the lowest Wonderlic of the QBs and tested poorly in the velocity test. So might be my opinion but the facts are agreeing with me.