• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Keanu Neal Is a Safe Bet After Mathieu and Kazee

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been making moves to bolster their defense in the 2022 off-season. It’s been made public knowledge the team is still looking at options to fill out the roster at the safety position. While the Steelers have been linked to names such as Tyrann Mathieu and Damontae Kazee as primary selections, there’s always a chance that both players re-sign with their respective teams or sign with a team that isn’t Pittsburgh. If that happens, the team will have to consider other options, like Keanu Neal.

Neal is coming off a year with the Dallas Cowboys where he transitioned to playing linebacker after previously playing safety for his entire career with the Atlanta Falcons. In the 14 games he played for the Cowboys, Keanu had a total of 70 tackles, 42 of them solo tackles, and one sack. This helped Dallas secure the NFC East divisional crown before losing to the San Francisco 49ers in the Wild Card round. While these numbers at linebacker were good, Neal’s numbers at safety were better.

As a member of the Falcons, Keanu made it to the Pro Bowl in 2017, his second year in the league. During that season, Neal totaled 112 tackles, 79 solo and 33 assisted, while adding three forced fumbles. Following that season, he unfortunately would appear in just four total games as injures kept him off the field. Once he transitions back to his safety position, and if he can remain healthy, Neal has the potential to be one of the best box safeties in the league.

Neal’s good size and run-stopping ability already make him highly valued. The possibility of him having a safety/linebacker hybrid role would make him part of a dynamic duo alongside Minkah Fitzpatrick.

This wouldn’t be the first time the Steelers had interest in bringing Neal to Pittsburgh. During the initial pre-draft cycle in the 2016 NFL Draft, Pittsburgh was looking at him intently, and may have selected Neal if he were still on the board when they were on the clock. Unfortunately, Atlanta scooped him before the Steelers had a chance. But during this free agency, Pittsburgh will be able to accomplish what they wanted to do six years ago and make Keanu Neal a Steeler.

What do you guys think? Would Keanu Neal be a good signing for the Steelers? Let us know your thoughts by dropping a comment down below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I remember liking him in draft. If I’m not mistaken, he’s a hard hitter. Not a bad quality in a strong safety 😉. The Steelers have been after that safety/linebacker hybrid for awhile now. Sounds like he fits the bill to me!

dudes a dog I for one could live with dat ifn they bring him in he hits like a truck